PDA

View Full Version : Pods Called Up, BA to the DL, Nix Activated, Owens to AAA

Pages : [1] 2

soxinem1
04-29-2009, 06:35 PM
According to the Score, Jerry Owens is bidding farewell and packing his stuff, and Pods will join the team in TEX.

Tragg
04-29-2009, 06:38 PM
That's got to happen. Owens has hit maybe 2 balls out of the infield all year.

soxinem1
04-29-2009, 06:39 PM
That's got to happen. Owens has hit maybe 2 balls out of the infield all year.

Will Pods do much better?:?:

DonnieDarko
04-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Holy crap, really?!

...this is...wow. A part of me is happy, but another part of me--the more realistic part of me--is telling me to be cautious about this. We'll have to see. I just don't want to see Pods playing CF...but then again, who the hell else do we have to play CF? >_<

HomeFish
04-29-2009, 06:41 PM
The blame is on Kenny for not landing a real center fielder.

JermaineDye05
04-29-2009, 06:42 PM

Pods will bring more fans into the ballpark, granted they will mostly be females just catering to his good looks but hey in this economy I'm sure the Sox will take whatever they can get. This can't make TCQ happy.

Chez
04-29-2009, 06:42 PM

With X. Nady down, are the Yankees still shopping Melky Cabrera?

kittle42
04-29-2009, 06:43 PM

For the Nth straight season, it feels like.

Foulke You
04-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Jerry Owens has set the bar pretty low on offense. Unlike Jerry, Pods can actually hit MLB pitching once in a while. I worry about Pods playing CF just like everyone else but Owens was not a major league player. I think it is worth the risk.

chisoxfanatic
04-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Holy crap, really?!

...this is...wow. A part of me is happy, but another part of me--the more realistic part of me--is telling me to be cautious about this. We'll have to see. I just don't want to see Pods playing CF...but then again, who the hell else do we have to play CF? >_<
Nick Swisher???

Well, that means TCQ or Dye will probably have to play CF now.

I bet Pods gets a huge standing ovation next Wednesday if he's still up with the big club.

Rohan
04-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Pods will bring more fans into the ballpark, granted they will mostly be females just catering to his good looks but hey in this economy I'm sure the Sox will take whatever they can get. This can't make TCQ happy.

I don't get it. What does TCQ have to lose? Does he have a large female following?

voodoochile
04-29-2009, 06:51 PM

Yeah, obviously KW should have planned to have both the guys they intended to play there get injured in the first three weeks. Broken down old guys that they are, he surely should have expected both Wise and BA to go do down and thus acquired someone else...

Foulke You
04-29-2009, 06:51 PM
The real burning question I have is whether Josh Fields is going to cough up his #22 for Pods? :tongue:

voodoochile
04-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Nick Swisher???

Well, that means TCQ or Dye will probably have to play CF now.

I bet Pods gets a huge standing ovation next Wednesday if he's still up with the big club.

No, Getz will be back in Texas so they can move Lillibridge to CF if they have to. If Getz isn't back they could even try Betemit at 2B :o: and then move Lillibridge to CF.

But, all signs point to Getz being back and there's no word that BA did anything more than twinge himself and will be fine on Friday, so it's WAY too soon to be talking about TCQ or DYE in center...

JermaineDye05
04-29-2009, 06:57 PM
I don't get it. What does TCQ have to lose? Does he have a large female following?

I don't know about TCQ himself, but his hair sure as hell does.

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Once Getz returns, having Pods bat in the 9th spot might not be that bad. Obviously I doubt his CF abilities, but what other option is there? Especially if Anderson misses some time. Anyone know if he's hurt bad or just taken out as a precaution?

hellenicsoxfan
04-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Any chance that Nix will be brought up and Lillibridge will move to CF?

soxinem1
04-29-2009, 07:01 PM

Is TCQ moving to CF, possibly?

According to Ozzie during the post-game show, they think BA might be shelved for a bit. Let's hope not. With BA in CF the OF is already the slowest, most lacking of range in MLB.

Without him, it is *&^%##$%^&&**(&%!!!!!!

bigdommer
04-29-2009, 07:12 PM
Has Lance Johnson officially retired?

WhiteSox5187
04-29-2009, 07:14 PM
I missed the game today, what exactly happened to Anderson? Is it official he is going on the DL?

Tragg
04-29-2009, 07:21 PM
What about bringing up Kroger instead. The Sox could really use a bat.

The Sox have a real centerfielder. Whether he can hit well enough is a question, but he has so far.

WhiteSox5187
04-29-2009, 07:23 PM

The Sox have a real centerfielder. Whether he can hit well enough is a question, but he has so far.

I assume you are talking about Anderson; something happened to him today and he might be going on the DL.

Rohan
04-29-2009, 07:23 PM
I missed the game today, what exactly happened to Anderson? Is it official he is going on the DL?

It looked like a strained oblique.

Noneck
04-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Owens, Going from being cut to starting centerfielder on 1 swing of the bat. And he didn't even have to swing.

WhiteSox5187
04-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Any chance that Nix will be brought up and Lillibridge will move to CF?

Is Lillibridge any good at CF? I've never seen him play there. We could move Alexei over to CF and Lillibridge to short. There aren't a lot of real good options out there.

kittle42
04-29-2009, 07:29 PM

He isn't a very good one.

Taliesinrk
04-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Is TCQ moving to CF, possibly?

According to Ozzie during the post-game show, they think BA might be shelved for a bit. Let's hope not. With BA in CF the OF is already the slowest, most lacking of range in MLB.

Without him, it is *&^%##$%^&&**(&%!!!!!!

Please tell me this was a typo. You're joking right? BA is a top 1/3rd AL defender. Granted, JD and TCQ may lag a step or two, but it certainly doesn't mean we have the least amt. of range in MLB... In fact, you may only need to look just a few miles north for an OF with worse range/defense.

Domeshot17
04-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Rather have Pods then Owens. Hopefully Owens is still being released with Pods and Nix on their way up. The less Owens and Lillibridge, the better.

soxinem1
04-29-2009, 07:37 PM
Please tell me this was a typo. You're joking right? BA is a top 1/3rd AL defender. Granted, JD and TCQ may lag a step or two, but it certainly doesn't mean we have the least amt. of range in MLB.

No typo, I am one of the biggest BA boosters on this board.

But as a group, even with BA, they lack range (LF, RF), speed, arm, etc. BA can cover ground and throw.

Without him, look out. It will be ugly with BA out of the equation.

soxinem1
04-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Is Lillibridge any good at CF? I've never seen him play there. We could move Alexei over to CF and Lillibridge to short. There aren't a lot of real good options out there.

http://www.announcerjoe.com/sitebuilder/images/rob_mackowiak-83x120.jpg

I'm Rob Mackowiak and I am ready for an encore.'

Taliesinrk
04-29-2009, 07:42 PM

But as a group, even with BA, they lack range (LF, RF), speed, arm, etc. BA can cover ground and throw.

I strongly disagree. Further, your comment regarding arm makes me even more skeptical of your analysis. Arms in the outfield are exactly what we have. Brian and Carlos and plus arms for their positions... there's no arguing that. I guess one could argue that JD's is below average for a RF, but it's certainly not far off from being par-for-the-course.

dickallen15
04-29-2009, 07:48 PM

Kroeger is hitting .179 in AAA. There's a reason he bounces from organization to organization never getting much of a shot in the big leagues. He's not very good. Spring training means nothing.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-29-2009, 07:48 PM

He have a real centerfielder who was finally figuring it out at the plate who is now injured.

Domeshot17
04-29-2009, 07:49 PM
This argument is full of crap haha. Brian has a decent Arm, Quentin pretty good but the only thing keep JD from being a 1b or DH is the fact he has a great arm in RF. His range is gone, his speed is about gone, but his instincts are good and his arm is probably the strongest in the OF.

chisoxjtrain
04-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Maybe they will put Alexei in center? This is a bad situation and this might be the best option for the outfield, not so much for the infield.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-29-2009, 07:53 PM
:gah:http://www.announcerjoe.com/sitebuilder/images/roFingernails on a blackboardkowiak-83x120.jpg

:gah:

Taliesinrk
04-29-2009, 07:58 PM
The thing I'm most worried about is that Brian will be out longer than Dewayne. We all know (here it comes), that if Wise returns first and hits above the Mendoza line, that BA won't see his deserved situation again. Just to be clear, that's as an everyday starting CFer.

DonnieDarko
04-29-2009, 07:59 PM
http://www.announcerjoe.com/sitebuilder/images/roFingernails%20on%20a%20blackboardkowiak-83x120.jpg

My name is [removed] and I will break your knees before you reach the ballpark, Mackowiak. :angry:

Daver
04-29-2009, 08:08 PM
I strongly disagree. Further, your comment regarding arm makes me even more skeptical of your analysis. Arms in the outfield are exactly what we have. Brian and Carlos and plus arms for their positions... there's no arguing that. I guess one could argue that JD's is below average for a RF, but it's certainly not far off from being par-for-the-course.

Aaron Rowand could throw the ball a long way, that does no give you a good outfield arm, you have to get close to what you are aiming at, Jermayne can do this, Carlos, not so much.

Frater Perdurabo
04-29-2009, 08:14 PM

As others have said, all three starting OFs: Quentin, BA and Dye, have excellent throwing arms. As Daver has said, Quentin needs to work on his accuracy, but it's definitely strong. Also, although Quentin and Dye are not fast, they have outfielder's instincts and can put themselves in position to make a play on the ball from the moment the bat hits it. They make up for their lack of speed with instincts and positioning; they are real outfielders, not converted infielders (like Carlos Lee). BA is an excellent defensive CF who has both great instincts and very good speed. He also has an excellent arm. In fact, the only thing preventing BA from being a Gold Glove contender is that fact that he doesn't have a reputation as a top-notch hitter, ironically enough. (Gold Gloves often are awarded on the basis of hitting, not pure defense.)

Frater Perdurabo
04-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Aaron Rowand could throw the ball a long way, that does no give you a good outfield arm, you have to get close to what you are aiming at, Jermayne can do this, Carlos, not so much.

Early last season Quentin threw a huge arcing bomb on the fly right on target to Paulie to double up a runner who had strayed too far after a fly out to medium deep left. I'd call that pretty accurate. Is it possible that he's just not consistently accurate?

LoveYourSuit
04-29-2009, 08:19 PM
From the minor league thread:

14-7 loss It was sad! :whiner: I was there along with a few other White Sox fans. Nice to see some Sox gear here in Durham, but it wasn't enough. Their pitching is terrible. At this point it seems there's nothing in that area for Ozzie to draw on if they need help with relieivers in Chicago.

Got Pods to autograph my World Series commemorative baseball, which was nice. He did get an RBI, but had a couple of errors out in centerfield. His average is now .270. I tried to get some pictures, but wouldn't you know the batteries ran out of gas in my camera.

They have another game tomorrow in Durham (day game) so hope they can come around.

The Sox have ZERO emphasis on plaiyng defense. This might have won Pods a ticket back to Chicago. :rolleyes:

Daver
04-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Early last season Quentin threw a huge arcing bomb on the fly right on target to Paulie to double up a runner who had strayed too far after a fly out to medium deep left. I'd call that pretty accurate. Is it possible that he's just not consistently accurate?

That and consistently overthrowing the cut off man?

Perhaps. One play does not establish your abilities.

LoveYourSuit
04-29-2009, 08:21 PM

Oh God, not this again?

I have never seen Sox fans hang their hat on one play for a player more than this one.

HE MADE ONE THROW!

parlaycard
04-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Pods will bring more fans into the ballpark.

No one is going to the Sox game specifically to see Podsednik

He is not a draw.

The red Sox are a draw, Arod is a draw, bobblehead give away night is a draw, Johan Santana is a draw

Podsednik is not

sunofgold
04-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Would love to have Pods back with us on May 1 or May Day. A day of raucous celebrations.

As for uniform numbers, I would be inspired if Pods chose #69.

Frater Perdurabo
04-29-2009, 09:01 PM
That and consistently overthrowing the cut off man?

Perhaps. One play does not establish your abilities.

I have never seen Sox fans hang their hat on one play for a player more than this one.

But it does demonstrate the ability to be accurate at long distances, even if that ability is still inconsistent. That's my only point.

Are there drills players can do to improve their consistency and accuracy?

Is overthrowing the cutoff man a coaching issue?

RF/DH#3
04-29-2009, 09:08 PM
But it does demonstrate the ability to be accurate at long distances, even if that ability is still inconsistent. That's my only point.

I've seen opposing teams not tag up or go for a possible double because the ball was hit to Carlos.(So the strong arm Intimidation Factor is DEFINITELY there)

Thome25
04-29-2009, 09:09 PM
If Thome is hurt too, what about Dye as the DH, TCQ in Right, Pods in Left, and Someone else in CF (Lillibridge?)

Daver
04-29-2009, 09:11 PM

Does it?

Have you ever heard the term sometimes the sun even shines on a dog's ass? I'm not saying that it is true in this case, but relying on a single play out of an entire season is not sound rationale.

Noneck
04-29-2009, 09:12 PM
If Thome is hurt too, what about Dye as the DH, TCQ in Right, Pods in Left, and Someone else in CF (Lillibridge?)

Nice too smart to put one of your only decent defensive outfielders as a DH.

Thome25
04-29-2009, 09:15 PM
Nice too smart to put one of your only decent defensive outfielders as a DH.

OK then TCQ at DH, Dye in Right, Pods in Left, and Someone Else in CF (Lillibridge?) If Pods gets called up, we can't have his terrible defense in the middle of the two big bopper bookends on either side of him. If Pods is in the OF then either TCQ or Dye Can't be there because Pods will need to be in one of the corners.

Either that or DH Pods.

Noneck
04-29-2009, 09:16 PM
OK then TCQ at DH, Dye in Right, Pods in Left, and Someone Else in CF (Lillibridge?)

No, because Quentin is the other decent defensive outfielder.

Frater Perdurabo
04-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Does it?

Have you ever heard the term sometimes the sun even shines on a dog's ass? I'm not saying that it is true in this case, but relying on a single play out of an entire season is not sound rationale.

OK, could Podsednik or Pierre make that throw? No, because they don't have the arm strength.

Also, are there drills that players can do to improve their throwing accuracy?

Thome25
04-29-2009, 09:18 PM
No, because Quentin is the other decent defensive outfielder.

See the edit to my post above. IF Pods is called up then he ABSOLUTELY has to be in one of the corner OF spots. Either that, or if Thome is hurt then DH Pods.

There's no rule saying that the DH has to be a HR hitting big bopper.

Daver
04-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Also, are there drills that players can do to improve their throwing accuracy?

Yes there are, but I would be shocked to see them used at the MLB level, it would be up to the player to take it upon himself to utilize them. You are supposed to know the basics of throwing before you get to the MLB level, but we all know what I think of a lot of teams approach to advancing players, the Sox in particular.

Noneck
04-29-2009, 09:23 PM
See the edit to my post above. IF Pods is called up then he ABSOLUTELY has to be in one of the corner OF spots. Either that, or if Thome is hurt then DH Pods.

There's no rule saying that the DH has to be a HR hitting big bopper.

Yea, if Pod can still run and get on base, I would have no problem with him as DH, considering he is a butcher in the field. But that still doesn't solve the main problem, Centerfield.

Frater Perdurabo
04-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Yes there are, but I would be shocked to see them used at the MLB level, it would be up to the player to take it upon himself to utilize them. You are supposed to know the basics of throwing before you get to the MLB level, but we all know what I think of a lot of teams approach to advancing players, the Sox in particular.

Do the Twins do these drills in their minor league system?

Marqhead
04-29-2009, 09:29 PM

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Tom-Emanski.jpg

Soxaredabest
04-29-2009, 09:46 PM
So if anderson is going to the DL, Owens to Charlotte, and maybe even Thome to the DL, we have three open spots. Pods is one of them, who else do we bring up?

kittle42
04-29-2009, 10:38 PM
The thing I'm most worried about is that Brian will be out longer than Dewayne. We all know (here it comes), that if Wise returns first and hits above the Mendoza line, that BA won't see his deserved situation again. Just to be clear, that's as an everyday starting CFer.

Anderson hasn't spent one second on the DL and already the ****ing whining and conspiracy begins. Broken records, all of you.

JB98
04-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Anderson hasn't spent one second on the DL and already the ****ing whining and conspiracy begins. Broken records, all of you.

Anderson has started the last 13 Sox games consecutively. You would think that would stop some of the conspiracy theorists.

sunofgold
04-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Could be a lot of changes by Friday.

Possible release of Owens?
Possible DL stint for Thome and/or Owens?

Possible callups: PODS, Nix, and then the mysterious one! Can we really rule out Beckham? Or a trade...ROWANDhaha? Or a free agent signing?

WhiteSox1989
04-29-2009, 10:46 PM
I wouldn't be incredibly pissed if Pods played a few games.

I definitely don't think there will be a trade. And certainly not for Rowand.

getonbckthr
04-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Isn't Lastings Milledge on bad terms with the Nationals? If I remember correctly they also have a ton of OF'rs and no pitching. Is there a match there possibly?

kittle42
04-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Anderson has started the last 13 Sox games consecutively. You would think that would stop some of the conspiracy theorists.

Ah, you see...13 an unlucky number...and 13...Ozzie's number! He KNEW that starting Anderson 13 straight would lead to his demise! Bwah-ha-ha!

DrCrawdad
04-29-2009, 11:17 PM
I had high hopes back when the Sox acquired Owens from the Nationals/Expos. I don't hate the guy, he just couldn't hit. He actually made a pretty good catch tonight.

Farewell Jerry Owens!

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=6233&d=1241061361
The end of the Jerry Owens-era.

DrCrawdad
04-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Isn't Lastings Milledge on bad terms with the Nationals? If I remember correctly they also have a ton of OF'rs and no pitching. Is there a match there possibly?

What pitcher would the Nationals possibly want from the Sox? Obviously Poreda, but who else?

soxfanreggie
04-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Welcome Pods back with open arms, he can't do worse than Owens.

WSox597
04-30-2009, 07:21 AM
My name is [removed] and I will break your knees before you reach the ballpark, Mackowiak. :angry:

Actually, Rob Mackowiak wanted to be out in CF about as much as we all wanted him out there.

The reason he was trotted out there so much wears number 13.

Mackowiak is currently with the Mets organization.

sunofgold
04-30-2009, 09:59 AM
Do they just wait until before the game on Friday. Try to catch the Rangers off guard. hahaha!

Anyways, Pods is from Texas. Thus, it would be a sort of homecoming for him in two different ways. If he is called up.

If the White Sox released Owens, they could announce it today, right? As a service to their fans.

esbrechtel
04-30-2009, 10:00 AM
SOG you are way too excited about this.....

doublem23
04-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Yeah, obviously KW should have planned to have both the guys they intended to play there get injured in the first three weeks. Broken down old guys that they are, he surely should have expected both Wise and BA to go do down and thus acquired someone else...

Well, I think he's upset that the plan going into the season was a Wise/Anderson platoon. That would usually be an Emergency Plan for most other teams... for us, business as usual.

doublem23
04-30-2009, 10:24 AM

Ozzie hates Brian so much, he was overplaying him in a ruthless plan to get him hurt.

:nuts:

Craig Grebeck
04-30-2009, 10:24 AM
I often forget that Jerry was a 2nd round draft pick. Yikes. He lived off that season in Birmingham for a long time.

That being said, I'll take him over Podsednik at this point.

asindc
04-30-2009, 10:29 AM

The Sox would have to trade more than we would want to get him. Milledge is still only 23 years old.

salty99
04-30-2009, 10:53 AM
The Sox would have to trade more than we would want to get him. Milledge is still only 23 years old.

Milledge is in AAA right now and pretty much a bust up until now.

voodoochile
04-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Well, I think he's upset that the plan going into the season was a Wise/Anderson platoon. That would usually be an Emergency Plan for most other teams... for us, business as usual.

It's worked out okay, hasn't it? Decent production from the 9-hole and good defense for the most part and either way, that's not the reason we are contemplating Owens or Pods for CF which even I agree isn't the best case scenario. Still, it's been brought on by injuries, not some dastardly plan to destroy our chances to repeat as ALC champions...

soxinem1

I'm sure they would have taken MacDougal for him!!

But seriously, I think he would be in Ozzie's doghouse as soon as he arrived in the clubhouse.

asindc

Yes, I know, but the Nats are still hopeful he can turn it around and still view him as the long-term project. Believe me, if KW traded what the Nats would want for him, this board would go ballistic.

hawkjt
04-30-2009, 11:01 AM
It's worked out okay, hasn't it? Decent production from the 9-hole and good defense for the most part and either way, that's not the reason we are contemplating Owens or Pods for CF which even I agree isn't the best case scenario. Still, it's been brought on by injuries, not some dastardly plan to destroy our chances to repeat as ALC champions...

Yes, it has. Center field has not been an issue until both starters got hurt.
If kenny trades for the next Mickey Mantle and he gets hurt, we would be in the same fix. Long season gang. I like BA's production and defense,and Wise did not hurt us in either category either.
Even Owens had a circus catch out there.
Too early to panic...we are in first place,afterall:D:

VeeckAsInWreck
04-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Too early to panic...we are in first place,afterall:D:

Yeah. In a three way tie and on top of that. Our three top teams in the AL Central are currently 3 games back of the Wild Card. So that says a lot about our division. :anon:

doublem23
04-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Yeah. In a three way tie and on top of that. Our three top teams in the AL Central are currently 3 games back of the Wild Card. So that says a lot about our division. :anon:

We finished behind the AL Wild Card last year, too. I was OK with that. :cool:

VeeckAsInWreck
04-30-2009, 11:51 AM
We finished behind the AL Wild Card last year, too. I was OK with that. :cool:

Well if we do it again and we see the playoffs I'll owe you a Coke.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_urYVca1IFZM/R5t0onEcaDI/AAAAAAAAAGo/LrsJ7BqO2Gg/s400/Room%2BService.bmp

Taliesinrk
04-30-2009, 12:28 PM
http://espn.go.com/chicago/story?id=4115973

BACK TO '05!!!! Seriously though, Pods will be a better option than Owens. This is a good move.

russ99
04-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Yes, I know, but the Nats are still hopeful he can turn it around and still view him as the long-term project. Believe me, if KW traded what the Nats would want for him, this board would go ballistic.

I'm a huge proponent of Milledge patrolling CF for the Sox, but I agree. They have plenty of outfielders, so they can afford to keep him until he works out his problems in AAA.

But the Nats may be more open to trading him then they were before. They dealt Ryan Church and Brian Schneider to the Mets to get him, so I'd assume they'd take less now.

They need pitching, so I'd assume Poreda or Ely would need to be the centerpiece, and I assume we'd also need to send them Anderson and a fairly high level prospect.

Otherwise, we'll be fine with Anderson and Pods.

If they ask for Flowers, Allen, or Shelby, Kenny would say no. Danks and Beckham can't be traded until the draft year us up, and Kenny would be foolish to even consider trading them.

ChiSoxFan81
04-30-2009, 12:29 PM

BACK TO '05!!!! Seriously though, Pods will be a better option than Owens. This is a good move.

So if he starts, does he hit leadoff?

eriqjaffe
04-30-2009, 12:31 PM
So if he starts, does he hit leadoff?He's the centerfielder, so of course he does.

Note the lack of teal.

sunofgold
04-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Thank you, Ryan Gleichowski. Pods must be your most high profile player b/c why else would you make an announcement. Hope that Pods does well for the White Sox sake and the sake of Ryan Gleichowski.

Looking forward to May Day.

soxinem1
04-30-2009, 12:35 PM
Thank you, Ryan Gleichowski. Pods must be your most high profile player b/c why else would you make an announcement. Hope that Pods does well for the White Sox sake and the sake of Ryan Gleichowski.

Looking forward to May Day.

I'm more hopeful that BA is not seriously hurt and returns by the end of the weekend.

Taliesinrk
04-30-2009, 12:36 PM
So if he starts, does he hit leadoff?

I don't think so... not if Getz continues playing well.

Soxaredabest
04-30-2009, 12:38 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9520864/Source:-White-Sox-call-up-Podsednik

kittle42
04-30-2009, 12:40 PM
thank you, ryan gleichowski. Pods must be your most high profile player b/c why else would you make an announcement. Hope that pods does well for the white sox sake and the sake of ryan gleichowski.

Looking forward to may day.

FOSPs?

doublem23
04-30-2009, 12:41 PM
FOSPs?

I don't think it needs to be pluralized yet.

spawn
04-30-2009, 01:02 PM
I'll never understand the infatuation WSI has with current or former average White Sox outfielders.

doublem23
04-30-2009, 01:05 PM
I'll never understand the infatuation WSI has with current or former average White Sox outfielders.

Well, the allure to Podsednik and Rowand are easy to figure out, they were starters on the '05 team which is still arguably the greatest Sox team of all time. Aside from that, I think most of it stems from the fact that the Sox are apparently incapable of fielding an outfield of 3 competent players, so we still need to fawn over the good old days when Podsednik-Rowand-Dye were probably the most balanced OF the Sox have had in a long, long time.

Soxaredabest
04-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Well, the allure to Podsednik and Rowand are easy to figure out, they were starters on the '05 team which is still arguably the greatest Sox team of all time. Aside from that, I think most of it stems from the fact that the Sox are apparently incapable of fielding an outfield of 3 competent players, so we still need to fawn over the good old days when Podsednik-Rowand-Dye were probably the most balanced OF the Sox have had in a long, long time.

Atleast in 2005, when Podsednik was in his prime. Once Pods kept getting hurt, there was a big hole in LF. Kinda like we have in CF now....

Taliesinrk
04-30-2009, 01:11 PM

Perhaps it has to do with the fact that he is allowing us to not have to look at Jerry Owens in CF for the next month.... but that's just me. Or maybe it has to do with the fact that we may actually have a lead-off hitter on our hands?

eriqjaffe
04-30-2009, 01:16 PM
I'll never understand the infatuation WSI has with current or former average White Sox outfielders.Because they're still better than the current below-average White Sox outfielders.

Beer Can Chicken
04-30-2009, 01:45 PM

Podsednik hit a walk off HR in Game 2 of the World Series.
Is he good still? Was he ever THAT good? Not really but I'll never say a bad thing about the guy becasue he gave me one of the greatest baseball moments of my 34 year old life.

Woofer
04-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Is he good still? Was he ever THAT good? Not really but I'll never say a bad thing about the guy becasue he gave me one of the greatest baseball moments of my 34 year old life.

I agree, also how much worse than Owens can he be? If he gets on base, he will be the same spark plug he was in 05.

hula
04-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Pods made a helluva catch in center the other night here in Durham. I just sayin'.....

voodoochile
04-30-2009, 02:03 PM

Doesn't preclude Owens from staying with the team. Will depend on if BA needs to go on DL.

NLaloosh
04-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Well, since Jerry Owens is as worthless as any player that I have seen in 40 years of watching Major League baseball, I'd say almost anyone would be a slight improvement.

And, I want to say that I do not dislike Jerry Owens personally in any way. The guy has done the best that he can but if the Sox are going to win this division they will need better - and IMO better than Pods or Wise, too.

voodoochile
04-30-2009, 02:07 PM
Well, since Jerry Owens is as worthless as any player that I have seen in 40 years of watching Major League baseball, I'd say almost anyone would be a slight improvement.

And, I want to say that I do not dislike Jerry Owens personally in any way. The guy has done the best that he can but if the Sox are going to win this division they will need better - and IMO better than Pods or Wise, too.

I disagree. I don't think the CF position will have that big of a bearing on whether this team can make a playoff push...

NLaloosh
04-30-2009, 02:13 PM
I disagree. I don't think the CF position will have that big of a bearing on whether this team can make a playoff push...

Why is that ? Because the Sox have such a large lead right now ? Or, that they are so much better than the rest of the division ? Or, because last year's race wasn't close ?

salty99
04-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Don't STOP BELIEVING!!! Where is TIMO!??!?!

voodoochile
04-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Why is that ? Because the Sox have such a large lead right now ? Or, that they are so much better than the rest of the division ? Or, because last year's race wasn't close ?

Because if the rest of the team plays up to expectations, who plays CF won't matter that much provided they aren't a complete butcher or a total black hole in the lineup. I don't think any of the options we have currently is that bad where the team cannot win with them.

I expect the pitching staff to get better as the season progresses and I think the lineup 1-8 when healthy can play with anyone. I don't see how the #9 slot in the lineup is going to make that big of a difference.

aryzner
04-30-2009, 02:39 PM
dzOHq5WbQ8k

spawn
04-30-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm not knocking what Pods did in '05. But the Pods we had in '05 isn't the Pods we have in '09. Maybe I should specify it and say I don't understand the exuberance for calling him up. Maybe he is better than Owens...but that's not saying much. :shrug:

sunofgold
04-30-2009, 03:16 PM
I am going to guess 9!

chaotic8512
04-30-2009, 03:19 PM
I am going to guess 9!

I think Minnie Miņoso might have something to say about that.

oeo
04-30-2009, 03:27 PM
I am going to guess 9!

Word is Ozzie is giving him Anderson's 32. Ozzie is changing Anderson's number to 0 because that's how much he feels Anderson should play.

doublem23
04-30-2009, 03:30 PM
I am going to guess 9!

Probably not. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/history/retired_numbers.jsp)

esbrechtel
04-30-2009, 03:32 PM
#9 is retired. Fields has 22, so unless fields gives that up I would guess he would try to get a number in the 20s. 2 is retired, 12 is AJ, 20 is TCQ, 21 open, 22 Fields, 23 Dye, 24 open, 25 Thome, 26 Dotel, 27 open, 28 Cora, 29 Walker, 32 BA, 42 retired, 52 Jose, 62 Egbert :scratch:, 72 Fisk, 82 no way...

I would guess Fields gives up 22 and goes back to 27....

GlassSox
04-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Come on back Pods, it is sure worth a try for the price. Maybe it will provide a spark, maybe not, but he can go back down as fast as he comes up if it doesn't work.

Besides that it makes my wife happy. :cool:

Chez
04-30-2009, 03:38 PM
I hope Pods isn't on the DL by the time the Sox return from the road! [no teal]

Flight #24
04-30-2009, 03:39 PM
An unsung reason for cheer if/when Pods is called up......TV shots of his wife in the stands!!:dtroll:

Gammons Peter
04-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Anyone hear the stat geek on with Murph today? I missed most of it so I don't know if he was a Baseball America or Stats Inc. guy but he was talking about how crappy Pods has looked in the minors and that his speed is gone.

johnnyg83
04-30-2009, 03:44 PM
#9 is retired. Fields has 22, so unless fields gives that up I would guess he would try to get a number in the 20s. 2 is retired, 12 is AJ, 20 is TCQ, 21 open, 22 Fields, 23 Dye, 24 open, 25 Thome, 26 Dotel, 27 open, 28 Cora, 29 Walker, 32 BA, 42 retired, 52 Jose, 62 Egbert :scratch:, 72 Fisk, 82 no way...

I would guess Fields gives up 22 and goes back to 27....

I'd be surprised if Fields gave up 22 for a guy who may not be with us all season. I say he goes for #1 or #21.

chaotic8512
04-30-2009, 03:53 PM
I'd be surprised if Fields gave up 22 for a guy who may not be with us all season. I say he goes for #1 or #21.

Coop's #21. #1 is possible, maybe #27... how about #6?

eriqjaffe
04-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Where is TIMO!??!?!Mexico (http://rojos.aguila.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Timo%20Perez&pos=OF&sid=t536&t=p_pbp&pid=340392).

(http://rojos.aguila.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Timo%20Perez&pos=OF&sid=t536&t=p_pbp&pid=340392)

Chez
04-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Coop's #21. #1 is possible, maybe #27... how about #6?

Retired for Jorge Orta.

Craig Grebeck
04-30-2009, 03:57 PM
It hurts my eyes to read that some people are excited about this, or believe he will be a "spark plug" or a "real" lead off hitter. In what sense?

doublem23
04-30-2009, 04:01 PM
It hurts my eyes to read that some people are excited about this, or believe he will be a "spark plug" or a "real" lead off hitter. In what sense?

FYI, it is possible to make your point without belittling other posters.

FYI.

Craig Grebeck
04-30-2009, 04:02 PM
FYI, it is possible to make your point without belittling other posters.

FYI.
Okay.

Pods is run down. He sucks. He was never very good to begin with. He peaked as an average ballplayer. And now, four years later, he has only gotten worse.

2005!

johnnyg83
04-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Retired for Jorge Orta.

Isn't #6 unofficially retired for Charlie Lau?

chaotic8512
04-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Retired for Jorge Orta.

I'm guessing you mean unofficially? As he was before my time, did I miss something? Teal?

Beer Can Chicken
04-30-2009, 04:03 PM
I'm not knocking what Pods did in '05. But the Pods we had in '05 isn't the Pods we have in '09. Maybe I should specify it and say I don't understand the exuberance for calling him up. Maybe he is better than Owens...but that's not saying much. :shrug:

Agree. I'm definitely not exuberant that he is being called up and expect nothing out of him.

What gets me most is that the White Sox organization doesn't seem to think much of the CF position and thinks 'anyone' can play the position. I was never a huge Rowand fan but compared to these guys we've had in CF he looks like a HOF'er.
Jose Valentin
Ray Durham
Carl Everett
Rob Machowiak
Timo Perez

When does the madness stop? Hopefully, CF will one day become an organizational priority.

doublem23
04-30-2009, 04:05 PM
In his career, Ray Durham has played 1 inning in CF, and he did that in 2004 with the Giants.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/durhara01-field.shtml

04-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Agree. I'm definitely not exuberant that he is being called up and expect nothing out of him.

What gets me most is that the White Sox organization doesn't seem to think much of the CF position and thinks 'anyone' can play the position. I was never a huge Rowand fan but compared to these guys we've had in CF he looks like a HOF'er.
Jose Valentin
Ray Durham
Carl Everett
Rob Machowiak
Timo Perez

When does the madness stop? Hopefully, CF will one day become an organizational priority.

Valentin played CF???? :o:

Beer Can Chicken
04-30-2009, 04:07 PM
In his career, Ray Durham has played 1 inning in CF, and he did that in 2004 with the Giants.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/durhara01-field.shtml

Thought he actually played there, oh well. I still maintain my point.

doublem23
04-30-2009, 04:07 PM
Valentin played CF???? :o:

You don't remember Jerry Manuel's wacky days in 2001?

hawkjt
04-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Anything Pods can bring is welcome. If he cannot play anymore, he will be gone when Wise or BA are ready. I do not see why some fans have all this angst about this call-up...what other options are there?

As for Pods speed, the rockies radio guy said he looked very fit and fast this spring. Pods said today on the radio he is working on something at the plate and is feeling better the last few days.

Maybe we catch lightning in a bottle..if not, no loss.

They just said that Thome is not going on the DL and will be ready in Texas.

doublem23
04-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Thought he actually played there, oh well. I still maintain my point.

Doesn't take away from your point (which I agree with).

04-30-2009, 04:12 PM
You don't remember Jerry Manuel's wacky days in 2001?

Sometimes my mind chooses to block certain bad memories out.

Seriously though I don't remember "Stache" playing any CF.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-30-2009, 04:14 PM

Jose Valentin
Ray Durham
Carl Everett
Rob Machowiak
Timo Perez

Good post!. This attitude has been driving me crazy since '05. Especially since I'm old enough to remember Jim Landis and Ken Berry. I just don't get it. Probably why I'm a FOBA even when he wasn't hitting.

eriqjaffe
04-30-2009, 04:15 PM

Seriously though I don't remember "Stache" playing any CF.24 games in 2001.

24 error-free games, in fact.

ChiSoxFan81
04-30-2009, 04:16 PM
24 games in 2001.

24 error-free games, in fact.

He was robbed of the Gold Glove.

hula
04-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Word is Ozzie is giving him Anderson's 32. Ozzie is changing Anderson's number to 0 because that's how much he feels Anderson should play.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_211.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk788KPUS) That's a good one!

Actually he was wearing #6 the other night. Don't know the significance.

Chez
04-30-2009, 04:31 PM
I'm guessing you mean unofficially? As he was before my time, did I miss something? Teal?

Teal. Sorry. Thought it was obvious. Orta's number (6) is not retired.

Chez
04-30-2009, 04:33 PM

Seriously though I don't remember "Stache" playing any CF.

I seem to recall a bizarre three-way platoon involving C. Singleton, H. Perry and Valentin at 3B and CF. Not a good three way!

WhiteSox5187
04-30-2009, 04:48 PM

Well Craig, when he was healthy he was one of the best leadoff guys in the game. He worked the count, walked and stole bases. Then he started getting hurt and wasn't very good. But since he never had any power and his OPS wasn't good, I guess he sucked. Sure he got on at a .350 clip in '03 and '05 and led the league in stolen bases in '04, but that damn OPS, so yea, he must have sucked

chaotic8512
04-30-2009, 04:55 PM
Teal. Sorry. Thought it was obvious. Orta's number (6) is not retired.

Sorry, I depend on teal too much. :redneck

It could have been one of those unofficially retired numbers, just wanted to make sure. Who was the last person to wear #6, anyway?

sunofgold
04-30-2009, 05:03 PM
I meant 69! Now that number would mean a lot. Open to multiple interpretations as well.

Or Fields will give Pods #22. That would be a classy move. Fields than could take back his previous number #27 if it wasn't already retired for Geoff Blum.

Chez
04-30-2009, 05:04 PM
Sorry, I depend on teal too much. :redneck

It could have been one of those unofficially retired numbers, just wanted to make sure. Who was the last person to wear #6, anyway?

According to Lip's article on this site, Jorge Orta was the last player to wear it. But as someone else posted, it's likely been unofficially retired for Charlie Lau.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-30-2009, 05:07 PM
I meant 69! Now that number would mean a lot. Open to multiple interpretations as well.

Or Fields will give Pods #22. That would be a classy move. Fields than could take back his previous number #27 if it wasn't already retired for Geoff Blum.

I heard #27 was unofficially retired after Ben Broussard didn't make the team.

johnr1note
04-30-2009, 05:10 PM
No one is going to the Sox game specifically to see Podsednik

He is not a draw.

The red Sox are a draw, Arod is a draw, bobblehead give away night is a draw, Johan Santana is a draw

Podsednik is not

My three teen-aged daughters and their gaggle of giggly girl friends would vehemently disagree.

sunofgold
04-30-2009, 05:10 PM
I think that it is available. Vazquez wore it last year. Would have thought that they retired it for Rowand, but they didn't.

Or 24? Crede's old number.

doublem23
04-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Or 24? Crede's old number.

I think that is technically Dayan's number, as he is on the 40-man roster.

Alexei4president
04-30-2009, 06:50 PM
hopefully he is the pods i know form:bandance:

Craig Grebeck
04-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Well Craig, when he was healthy he was one of the best leadoff guys in the game. He worked the count, walked and stole bases. Then he started getting hurt and wasn't very good. But since he never had any power and his OPS wasn't good, I guess he sucked. Sure he got on at a .350 clip in '03 and '05 and led the league in stolen bases in '04, but that damn OPS, so yea, he must have sucked
A .350 OBP is nothing to write home about. Is it valuable? Yes, but for a corner outfielder, it is nothing special.

russ99
04-30-2009, 08:00 PM

Jose Valentin
Ray Durham
Carl Everett
Rob Machowiak
Timo Perez

Well, that's where the FOBA's and I differ. I think outfield defense is nice, but not a necessity - since really, all we're talking about 95% of the time is an extra base taken by the hitter as the difference between the best MLB fielder and the worst MLB fielder.

Most balls hit near the fielder will be caught (especially if the fielder has good footspeed) and those hit in the gap will not. It's not brain surgery. CF defense has vastly less of an impact on the outcome of a game than defense at any of the infield positions.

I (and seemingly the Sox brass the last 5-10 years) want offense first in the outfield, and while it's fairly obvious Owens and Wise aren't optimal, If Scott truly is healthy, he can do lots of damage out of the 9 spot or the 1 spot. Not homers and doubles off the wall damage - working the count, getting on base, stealing and getting in pitcher's heads damage.

And please, stop with the OPS when comparing two hitters with power, one with and one without. That's just purposely stacking the deck against the player without. A run from a homer and a run from a walk, a SB and a single count the same on the scoreboard.

Daver
04-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Well, that's where the FOBA's and I differ. I think outfield defense is nice, but not a necessity - since really, all we're talking about 95% of the time is an extra base taken by the hitter as the difference between the best MLB fielder and the worst MLB fielder.

1 extra base per inning accounts for how many runs per game?

The fantasy baseball approach is flawed from it's very core.

russ99
04-30-2009, 08:22 PM

1 extra base per inning? Do you really believe that? Is the ball even hit to CF once an inning?

And it's not a fantasy baseball approach, it's an AL approach ever since they instituted the DH. Can you name one player currently patrolling CF full-time in the AL that's in there primarily for defense?

And again, I have no issue with BA in there as long as he hits or gets on base regularly. And I'm not about to boo him or throw a party that he got hurt like some Sox fans did with Wise. I just think he's our 4th outfielder and we still need a 3rd.

WhiteSox5187
04-30-2009, 08:27 PM
A .350 OBP is nothing to write home about. Is it valuable? Yes, but for a corner outfielder, it is nothing special.

In '05 when Pods had his .350 OBP the league average OBP was .337, not to mention Pods stole fifty bases. So yes, I would say thats fairly valuable. Maybe not to fantasy baseball, but to REAL baseball, it is.

Daver
04-30-2009, 08:27 PM
1 extra base per inning? Do you really believe that? Is the ball even hit to CF once an inning?

And it's not a fantasy baseball approach, it's an AL approach ever since they instituted the DH. Can you name one player currently patrolling CF full-time in the AL that's in there primarily for defense?

And again, I have no issue with BA in there as long as he hits or gets on base regularly.

Where did I mention anything about Brian Anderson?

Why would I give a rat's ass what the rest of the league does?

doublem23
04-30-2009, 08:32 PM
Why would I give a rat's ass what the rest of the league does?

Because we're in direct competition with them?

Having an all defense/no offense CF is nice, but it doesn't work in the 21st century American League. Especially when your home park has a ridiculously small CF.

SoxNation05
04-30-2009, 08:41 PM
per espn
Announcement tomorrow.

Daver
04-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Because we're in direct competition with them?

Having an all defense/no offense CF is nice, but it doesn't work in the 21st century American League. Especially when your home park has a ridiculously small CF.

Dewayne Wise and Jerry Owens are offensive threats in what way?

october23sp
04-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Just remember the sp in october23sp stands for Scott Podsednik. Sadly he won't do a whole for this team though.

Frater Perdurabo
04-30-2009, 09:14 PM

Wise and Owens are threats to the Sox offense. :tongue:

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if Fields gave him 22 back. At Soxfest in 2008 when he was signing my baseball, he put 27 as his number. I knew it was changed to 22, and told him. He was surprised, but didn't seem to care much. Seems like an easy going guy.

Craig Grebeck
04-30-2009, 09:44 PM
And please, stop with the OPS when comparing two hitters with power, one with and one without. That's just purposely stacking the deck against the player without. A run from a homer and a run from a walk, a SB and a single count the same on the scoreboard.
That's sig material. A home run is infinitely more valuable than the second scenario you posted.

In '05 when Pods had his .350 OBP the league average OBP was .337, not to mention Pods stole fifty bases. So yes, I would say thats fairly valuable. Maybe not to fantasy baseball, but to REAL baseball, it is.
You do realize that SB are used in every fantasy baseball league, right? They're actually more important in fantasy than real baseball, I think. What was the average for a corner outfielder that season?

Couldn't put it any better than this.

Tragg
04-30-2009, 10:09 PM
In other words - power doesn't count if you can't hit for power.
That's absurd analysis.

Jerry Owens has hit 2 balls out of the infield all season; but he's the offensive threat. Right. And since they started pitching him inside, he can't even consistently slap grounders anymore.

GlassSox
04-30-2009, 10:42 PM
I am hoping he gets 22 and then can contribute.

RadioheadRocks
04-30-2009, 10:55 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41RPSF80JML._SL160_AA115_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/20th-Century-Masters-Millennium-Collection/dp/B00006GF9R/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1241146450&sr=8-2)

Reunited and it feels so good...

Seriously I'm not expecting miracles here, but it's great seeing Pods back in a Sox uniform, and what have we got to lose?

SOXfnNlansing
04-30-2009, 11:04 PM
We'll see

gosox41
04-30-2009, 11:07 PM
per espn
Announcement tomorrow.

UGH. He can't play LF let alone CF.

Also, he is kind of injury prone.

Bob

anewman35
04-30-2009, 11:12 PM
Also, he is kind of injury prone.

Yes, but that's a reason not to sign him to a long-term expensive contract, not a reason not to call him up. If he does get hurt, it's not as if we're losing anything (except for possibly being a bit shorthanded for a few innings).

Soxaredabest
04-30-2009, 11:15 PM
I think we need to reinstate grinder rule number 65: Do not sit in the leftfield bleachers, home to Scott Podsednik.

russ99
04-30-2009, 11:18 PM
Welcome back Scotty Pods! :D:

My #22 Jersey is now relevant again!

There's no use in rehashing that old stuff. Who cares if he hurt his groin 3 years ago, if he can play well now, that would be great.

Maybe expecting first half of 2005 play from him is too much, but I'd also doubt he'd be as bad as when he tried to play hurt in 2007.

Let's see what he can do on the field.

doublem23
05-01-2009, 12:04 AM

Where did I ever say that?

rowand33
05-01-2009, 12:23 AM
A lot of negativity in this thread.

I'm just going to hope for the best with Pods.

Honestly, if Pods plays as well as he did for the Rockies last season, I won't be upset.

Let's temper our expectations, people. It isn't 2005. We need to aim for 85 wins for a playoff berth in this awful division. I think Pods helps that more than Owens. I'm ultimately rooting for Anderson.

At the end of the day, I'm just happy the Sox are in Dallas for the weekend!

Rohan
05-01-2009, 12:35 AM
Let's just hope some magic comes back.

WhiteSox1989
05-01-2009, 12:57 AM
I'm choosing to be optimistic on this one.

chisox616
05-01-2009, 12:57 AM
:D:...I'm stupidly excited for his return. I know he won't go 4-4 with 4 stolen bases, but it's good to see a familiar face. His walk off in Game 2 was easily one of my favorite moments of the WS (well, aside from that whole winning part.)

Welcome back Scotty Pods! Good to see my MacFarlane statue of him that's sitting above my desk isn't worthless anymore!

Think he'll don the knee-high socks?

sunofgold
05-01-2009, 01:59 AM
How long will it last? Could be one day , could be many months.

I hope that Pods stays healthy. Please don't catch the flu, but catch the balls hit to you.

Welcome back Scotty Pods! Enjoy the RePods Era.

Just listened to the Podcast. Scotty wants his #22 back! He might have to pay Fields to get it back. Hasn't talked to Field about it yet.

Mohoney
05-01-2009, 02:11 AM
Either that or DH Pods.

If Thome is hurt, that would be the best idea.

kittle42
05-01-2009, 02:37 AM

It sure is, if you're a ****ing imbecile.

kittle42
05-01-2009, 02:38 AM

Complete crap.

The Dude
05-01-2009, 08:26 AM

I hope that Pods stays healthy. Please don't catch the flu, but catch the balls hit to you.

Just listened to the Podcast. Scotty wants his #22 back! He might have to pay Fields to get it back. Hasn't talked to Field about it yet.

He is NOT a player that should be able to make those demands. FieldS deserves the number and should keep it. If I were him, to have a has-been coming up from the minors wanting my number, I would laugh and tell him to deal with it and be glad the Sox are feeling nostalgic.

oeo
05-01-2009, 09:36 AM

I'll lose a lot of respect for Pods if he asks Fields to change his number. Sorry Pods, you're a has-been (and not even a great one)...how about 00? Not even Ken Griffey Jr. requested a number, and Swisher probably should have insisted that he take #30.

chisox616
05-01-2009, 09:55 AM
I'll lose a lot of respect for Pods if he asks Fields to change his number. Sorry Pods, you're a has-been (and not even a great one)...how about 00? Not even Ken Griffey Jr. requested a number, and Swisher probably should have insisted that he take #30.

Actually Swish did. But Griff insisted that he keep it. I think he took 17 because that's how old his son is or something like that.

eriqjaffe
05-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Actually Swish did. But Griff insisted that he keep it. I think he took 17 because that's how old his son is or something like that.I thought he was paying tribute to former great White Sox whose names started with G like Ross Gload and Tony Graffanino.

hi im skot
05-01-2009, 10:44 AM

Get tossed, Podsednik.

FielderJones
05-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Sox have made it official (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090429&content_id=4475374&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws).

tick53
05-01-2009, 11:06 AM
:hawk

"Let me tell you something Stone Pony.
This team is not afraid to start young players."

oldcomiskey
05-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Boy, poor BA. He finally starts hitting and now he gets hurt. I think Pods is just a stopgap until BA gets back

BleacherBandit
05-01-2009, 11:13 AM
With TCQ in left field last year, you never thought you would see Pods in a Sox uniform again...I bet Carlos could run down balls easier in center than Podsednik can.

Rohan
05-01-2009, 11:17 AM
I don't know if i'm okay with the idea of Fields having to give up his number.
We'll see..
I do hope pods does well. Even though i'm a Brian Anderson lover.

ChiSoxFan81
05-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Pods should just take a single digit uniform number. He'll be faster without the extra weight.

BleacherBandit
05-01-2009, 11:22 AM
I don't know if i'm okay with the idea of Fields having to give up his number.
We'll see..
I do hope pods does well. Even though i'm a Brian Anderson lover.

Who cares about the numbers?

Michael Jordan gave up his number for himself. Anything's possible.

beasly213
05-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Pods is one of those "Everything has to be right" kinda guys. I wouldnt be suprised if he tries to buy Fields 22 off him. He was on Waddle and Silvy and was saying he was going to ask him for it.

I also wouldn't be suprised if Ozzie bats him leadoff tonight... :?:

DirtySox
05-01-2009, 11:37 AM
He is NOT a player that should be able to make those demands.

Agreed. I hope Fields laughs in his face.

hi im skot
05-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Who cares about the numbers?

Michael Jordan gave up his number for himself. Anything's possible.

Michael Jordan "gave up" his number because it was retired. The Bulls had to go through a process in order to give Jordan his #23 back.

CashMan
Agreed. I hope Fields laughs in his face.

Seriously, what is the big deal? Josh goes from no one thinking he is a major leaguer to being revered and a vet can't ask for his number? Comeon!

beasly213
How about he can have number 22 once he steals 22 bases? :redneck

Juice16
05-01-2009, 11:51 AM
I can't believe people are so uptight about Scott asking for 22 back. Who cares? It's between Scott and Josh.

Gammons Peter
05-01-2009, 12:07 PM
I can't believe people are so uptight about Scott asking for 22 back. Who cares? It's between Scott and Josh.

because minor league players shouldn't ask big league players for numbers

gregoriop
05-01-2009, 12:07 PM

Seriously. Who cares.

CashMan
05-01-2009, 12:10 PM
because minor league players shouldn't ask big league players for numbers

Between the 2 of them, which has a WS ring?

kittle42
05-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Between the 2 of them, which has a WS ring?

Willie Harris.

doublem23
05-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Willie Harris.

Willie Harris > Alex Rodriguez.

Obviously.

soxinem1
05-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Are we going to have the same debate if Timo Perez comes back?

Rohan
05-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Are we going to have the same debate if Timo Perez comes back?

No because Timo Perez was number 7. And number 7 is that of Jerry Owens.. Or was anyway...
So CMON TIMO!

TomBradley72
05-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Kind of a bull**** move by Pods to talk about the number thing publically...puts Fields on the spot and frankly, he comes across like some prima donna (sp.?), when he should just be thankful that he'll get a few more weeks of playing time at the major league level.

This is another indictment of KW's ability to supply the White Sox with a quality CF through the draft or via trade. If you need a guy who couldn't play CF 4 years ago to play CF today and that no one else in all of MLB wanted, you're not doing your job. We should have at least one OF in our farm system who could be called up to help out before we have to go to guys like Wise, Owens and Pods for help in CF.

kittle42
05-01-2009, 01:02 PM

Obviously.

Yes. Some here don't follow their reasoning here to its illogical conclusion. That "ring" argument always sucks.

Trent Dilfer > Dan Marino, too!

asindc
05-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Yes. Some here don't follow their reasoning here to its illogical conclusion. That "ring" argument always sucks.

Trent Dilfer > Dan Marino, too!

Which is why I think the MVP should never be based on standings.

Anyway, I don't care which # Pods wears, I just want him to play well. Who knows, maybe he hits .275 and becomes a terror on the base paths again.

russ99
05-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Kind of a bull**** move by Pods to talk about the number thing publically...puts Fields on the spot and frankly, he comes across like some prima donna (sp.?), when he should just be thankful that he'll get a few more weeks of playing time at the major league level.

This is another indictment of KW's ability to supply the White Sox with a quality CF through the draft or via trade. If you need a guy who couldn't play CF 4 years ago to play CF today and that no one else in all of MLB wanted, you're not doing your job. We should have at least one OF in our farm system who could be called up to help out before we have to go to guys like Wise, Owens and Pods for help in CF.

Oh give it up, he was asked a direct question. What would you say? "No, that number I wore when hitting a walk-off homer in the World Series means absolutely nothing to me."

And as for your second argument, you have a point, but if you're making broad generalizations about the Sox CF's then maybe you also should lump in the guy who has a career .227 batting average as well.

Kenny made the decision not to upgrade CF, and now he has to deal with the consequences of that as best he can.

voodoochile
05-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Oh give it up, he was asked a direct question. What would you say? "No, that number I wore when hitting a walk-off homer in the World Series means absolutely nothing to me."

And as for your second argument, you have a point, but if you're making broad generalizations about the Sox CF's then maybe you also should lump in the guy who has a career .227 batting average as well.

Kenny made the decision not to upgrade CF, and now he has to deal with the consequences of that as best he can.

And for the most part KW's decision has been fine other than the injuries and holding KW responsible for injuries is pretty silly.

How many teams expect to be on their third starting CF by 5/1 due to injuries? How many of those teams have a ready to go third option that is league average?

BadBobbyJenks
05-01-2009, 02:04 PM
How long has Shelby been in our organization? Is he even a possibility in 2009?

BadBobbyJenks
05-01-2009, 02:04 PM
And for the most part KW's decision has been fine other than the injuries and holding KW responsible for injuries is pretty silly.

How many teams expect to be on their third starting CF by 5/1 due to injuries? How many of those teams have a ready to go third option that is league average?

Well one could argue how many teams would want any of our options at CF regardless of injury?

voodoochile
05-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Well one could argue how many teams would want any of our options at CF regardless of injury?

If BA continues to have productive AB then your point would be moot. If he continues to hit consistently in the high .200's and take some walks, he's a starter on several MLB teams. Whether he can do that is the question yet to be answered, but again, the production the Sox have gotten from CF position to date has been fine, especially after Wise got dropped from the top of the order.

BadBobbyJenks
05-01-2009, 02:12 PM
If BA continues to have productive AB then your point would be moot. If he continues to hit consistently in the high .200's and take some walks, he's a starter on several MLB teams. Whether he can do that is the question yet to be answered, but again, the production the Sox have gotten from CF position to date has been fine, especially after Wise got dropped from the top of the order.

IF he does then sure, but to blame injuries on the centerfield problem when it was a huge question mark going into the season anyway is pretty silly. But I think it is silly to get on KW for not filling one position as well.

voodoochile
05-01-2009, 02:22 PM
IF he does then sure, but to blame injuries on the centerfield problem when it was a huge question mark going into the season anyway is pretty silly. But I think it is silly to get on KW for not filling one position as well.

It was a question mark, but are you complaining about the way the CF position has performed the first month of the season?

At THIS MOMENT IN TIME, EXCEPT FOR THE INJURIES, Kenny has been perfectly justified in the decision not to go searching for a veteran CF.

Let's try to put the emotions, rhetoric and desire to be proven right behind us and look at the facts in front of us...

BadBobbyJenks
05-01-2009, 02:35 PM
It was a question mark, but are you complaining about the way the CF position has performed the first month of the season?

At THIS MOMENT IN TIME, EXCEPT FOR THE INJURIES, Kenny has been perfectly justified in the decision not to go searching for a veteran CF.

Let's try to put the emotions, rhetoric and desire to be proven right behind us and look at the facts in front of us...

I didnt realize I was putting emotion and the desire to be proven right into this. But Ok.

DirtySox
05-01-2009, 02:37 PM
http://twitter.com/ChrisDeLuca/status/1671454630

Discuss.

voodoochile
05-01-2009, 02:40 PM
I didnt realize I was putting emotion and the desire to be proven right into this. But Ok.

Wasn't only referring to you, but you weren't exactly being objective about where things are today either, preferring to dwell on the perceptions that existed prior to the season starting rather than what has actually happened to date.

Taliesinrk
05-01-2009, 02:43 PM

Discuss.

Damn. I'd like to know the severity of BA's injury.

Madvora
05-01-2009, 02:43 PM

Discuss.
"Just when I think I'm out, they keep pulling me back in"
- Jerry Owens

It looks like this guy keeps getting released by the White Sox over and over, but never actually does get released.

BadBobbyJenks
05-01-2009, 02:45 PM

Discuss.
It is a damn shame BA going on the DL. I wanted to see if this start was for real.

Wasn't only referring to you, but you weren't exactly being objective about where things are today either, preferring to dwell on the perceptions that existed prior to the season starting rather than what has actually happened to date.

Well I a prefer to look at sample sizes rather than get caught up in a decent little streak from Brian Anderson. And I was hell bent on giving him the job in the first place to see if he could be a regular or not. See above.

voodoochile
05-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Well I a prefer to look at sample sizes rather than get caught up in a decent little streak from Brian Anderson. And I was hell bent on giving him the job in the first place to see if he could be a regular or not. See above.

I agree and I'm not arguing about whether CF turns into a major problem later this summer nor what the perception was in March. I was in favor of the Wise/BA platoon and have been pleasantly surprised with BA's new found patience and ability to produce against both types of pitchers at an unprecedented level to date.

My only point is that people who are ripping on KW for decisions made regarding CF prior to the season have to date been proven wrong. That's it. Those are the facts. Everything else is for ****s and giggles...

Flight #24
05-01-2009, 02:49 PM

Ahem..... :anderson:

"What part of .288 / .383 with stellar D don't you like?"

soxfan21
05-01-2009, 02:53 PM
I just hope that BA comes back healthy from this, and also hope that Wise comes back healthy, but in the meantime hopefully Pods works out for us.

kittle42
05-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Ahem..... :anderson:

"What part of .288 / .383 with stellar D don't you like?"

Any part of it that involves WSI posters.

TomBradley72
05-01-2009, 03:31 PM

My point is not BA's injury, it's the lack of depth that I was addressing...our organizational depth chart for CF coming into the season was:

Wise
Anderson
Owens
Lillibridge
Podsednik
Very mediocre group. And it wasn't any better in 2006, 2007 or 2008.

spawn
05-01-2009, 03:32 PM
My only point is that people who are ripping on KW for decisions made regarding CF prior to the season have to date been proven wrong. That's it. Those are the facts. Everything else is for ****s and giggles...
Since when have facts mattered around here?

TomBradley72
05-01-2009, 03:35 PM

If it was only 2009 that's one thing and I would agree with your point. But it's been 4 consecutive seasons of mediocre options like Mackowiak, Erstad, Griffey, Swisher, Owens, Wise, etc. And nothing from the farm system in that time.

oeo
05-01-2009, 03:42 PM
My point is not BA's injury, it's the lack of depth that I was addressing...our organizational depth chart for CF coming into the season was:

Wise
Anderson
Owens
Lillibridge
Podsednik

Very mediocre group. And it wasn't any better in 2006, 2007 or 2008.

I wish Kenny would have gone out and gotten someone, but what do you expect when the Sox decided to take a couple drafts off and then traded away all their prospects on top of that? Things are getting a lot better, so hopefully that's soon behind us.

khan
05-01-2009, 03:42 PM

Obviously.

Well, without the 'roids, this may or may not be the case...

doublem23
05-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Well, without the 'roids, this may or may not be the case...

No, it probably still wouldn't be.

russ99
05-01-2009, 03:46 PM
I wish Kenny would have gone out and gotten someone, but what do you expect when the Sox decided to take a couple drafts off and then traded away all their prospects on top of that? Things are getting a lot better, so hopefully that's soon behind us.

The other part everyone forgets is that he tried to get Torii Hunter to solidify the position for 4-6 years and just missed out, so I seriously doubt he's thinking, 'let's screw up CF for a few more years".

Milw
05-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Per Scott Reifert's Twitter (twitter.com/insidethesox), Podsednik starting in CF tonight, batting 9.

khan
05-01-2009, 03:52 PM
No, it probably still wouldn't be.

As a player, you may be right. However, in terms of their relative valuations as human beings, in terms of their level of integrity, and in terms of respecting the game,

Willie >>>> A. Fraud.

oeo
05-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Per Scott Reifert's Twitter (twitter.com/insidethesox), Podsednik starting in CF tonight, batting 9.

Ugh, that should be interesting. Not really a fan of Pods roaming any CF let alone that massive one in Texas.

#1swisher
05-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Welcome Back Pods!

:welcome:

Sockinchisox
05-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Also for those wondering if Fields gave up his number for Pods, he hasn't, Podsednik is wearing #1.

oeo
05-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Also for those wondering if Fields gave up his number for Pods, he hasn't, Podsednik is wearing #1.

If a number change is coming, it probably won't be until tomorrow.

JGarlandrules20
05-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Scott will be wearing number 1, incase anyone was wondering.

UofCSoxFan
05-01-2009, 04:28 PM

I'd be suprised if Fields gave up his number. Pods is a week by week rent a player who was part of a World Series team but outside of that has very little legacy here in Chicago. Fields is a starting player that should be here for years.

This isn't Frank Thomas coming back to the team.

beasly213
05-01-2009, 04:34 PM
For those bitching about Pods in CF already, I'm just wondering who you would rather have out there? We are on our fourth guy here.

:rowand

"Just a matter of time before Kenny trades for me."

PalehosePlanet
05-01-2009, 04:45 PM
I'd be suprised if Fields gave up his number. Pods is a week by week rent a player who was part of a World Series team but outside of that has very little legacy here in Chicago. Fields is a starting player that should be here for years.

Exactly, Pods will be released when BA comes off the DL anyway, if not sooner. There is no reason for Josh to give up his number.

Also I'd rather see Lillibridge in CF than Pods. He is not an OF'er but from what I saw of him in spring training he is already much better out there than Pods ever was

Hopefully we can put up 12 runs tonight, we might need them all.

DeuceUnit
05-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Exactly, Pods will be released when BA comes off the DL anyway, if not sooner. There is no reason for Josh to give up his number.

Also I'd rather see Lillibridge in CF than Pods. He is not an OF'er but from what I saw of him in spring training he is already much better out there than Pods ever was

Hopefully we can put up 12 runs tonight, we might need them all.

Pods may be a shadow of his 2005 self but just about anything is better than Lillibridge being in the lineup.

UofCSoxFan
05-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Things could be pretty ugly out there in CF tonight.:unsure:

There are no good alternatives.....but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't be worried about our CF defense tonight.

Ok...and to be clear I'm concerned too but it just doesn't make sense to me to complain about it since we have really no other options. It's not like this is a strategic choice at this point. Triage is the more appropriate word.

oeo
05-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Pods may be a shadow of his 2005 self but just about anything is better than Lillibridge being in the lineup.

That I will agree with, but with Anderson out, Owens was easily our best option in CF. I wasn't against Pods being up in Owens' role, but now he's our starting centerfielder, which is scary.

PalehosePlanet
05-01-2009, 05:02 PM

Okay if LIllibridge is not an option, then how about Alexei in CF with Nix at SS. (I mean short term, of course.)

Pods should be a pinch hitter, or pich runner at most.

TomBradley72
05-01-2009, 05:15 PM

I don't care about the number thing. But when you were a main catalyst for the only World Series champion, including a walk off homer in Game 2, in a combined (both Chicago teams) 190+ seasons of baseball, that's a pretty big legacy.

ode to veeck
05-01-2009, 05:17 PM
in any case, welcome back pods, his walk off post season HR was one of the most memorable of the playoffs from 05, hope you do us some good in your limited time back

Marqhead
05-01-2009, 05:18 PM
I like it :shrug:. Lets see what Pods can do.