PDA

View Full Version : Nationals to draft Strasburg

Sockinchisox
04-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Making it official a month and some change before the draft. They expect him to be in the majors in September and sign for around 15 mil.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090430&content_id=4501732&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb

DSpivack
04-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Jim Bowden saying it doesn't mean it will happen.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-30-2009, 07:10 PM
With Boras as his agent this kid is gonna get some big time money.

Average Homeboy
04-30-2009, 11:36 PM
I'll say it; Tommy John.

DumpJerry
04-30-2009, 11:51 PM
The Nats are a NL team, thank goodness.

DSpivack
04-30-2009, 11:55 PM
The Nats are a NL team, thank goodness.

IF the Nats draft him, too bad he'll make his debut in September [if Bowden is right]. I'll probably be back in some city called Chicago? [I think that's the name of it] by then.

TealTank
05-01-2009, 12:27 AM
I've read so much about this kid and it still amazes me that he wasn't even drafted out of high school and was lightly recruited. Now this kid is going to break the bank and may make his MLB debut in Sept.

Britt Burns
05-01-2009, 12:51 AM
It will take more than $15 million also. Maybe not $50, million, but it will be upwards of $20 and a major league contract.

TealTank
05-01-2009, 01:21 AM
Mike Moore
Tim Belcher
Andy Benes
Ben McDonald
Brien Taylor
Paul Wilson
Kris Benson
Matt Anderson
Bryan Bullington
Luke Hochevar
David Price

What do those pitchers have in common with Strasburg? They were also picked #1 overall.

Of course it is too early to judge Hochevar and Price. But the rest of those players, none of them won a Cy Young. None will be in the HOF. I would bet none of those players won 200 games in their careers.

Buyer beware!!

BleacherBandit
05-01-2009, 01:25 AM
Is Boras really his agent? :angry:

captainclutch24
05-01-2009, 01:26 AM
I've read so much about this kid and it still amazes me that he wasn't even drafted out of high school and was lightly recruited. Now this kid is going to break the bank and may make his MLB debut in Sept.

It is due to the fact that he was way over weight, and had average speed and command. He came close to quitting baseball

palehozenychicty
05-01-2009, 01:42 AM
If he's a perennial All-Star, then I'll eat it. But as someone said, it's rare for top overall pitchers to be great players.

Oblong
05-01-2009, 09:28 AM
It's rare for any pitcher, or player for that matter, to be a great player.

doublem23
05-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Is Boras really his agent? :angry:

You know any better baseball agents?

BleacherBandit
05-01-2009, 11:20 AM
You know any better baseball agents?

No, but I'm not a player looking to land a $35 Million contract.

Luke
05-01-2009, 11:27 AM
It is due to the fact that he was way over weight, and had average speed and command. He came close to quitting baseball

I read that he was 88-90 in high school. When he started playing in college he was called Slothburg for being a lazy brat. I guess he straightened up after a coach told him he should quit. He started eating clean and became kind of a fitness freak.

Sockinchisox
05-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Mike Moore
Tim Belcher
Andy Benes
Ben McDonald
Brien Taylor
Paul Wilson
Kris Benson
Matt Anderson
Bryan Bullington
Luke Hochevar
David Price

What do those pitchers have in common with Strasburg? They were also picked #1 overall.

Of course it is too early to judge Hochevar and Price. But the rest of those players, none of them won a Cy Young. None will be in the HOF. I would bet none of those players won 200 games in their careers.

Buyer beware!!

Why the hell is Price in there? He was barely up last season and did very well when he was up. The jury is very much still out on him.

TealTank
05-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Why the hell is Price in there? He was barely up last season and did very well when he was up. The jury is very much still out on him.

Did you miss the third sentence in my post?

Sockinchisox
05-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Did you miss the third sentence in my post?

Yes I see that now, nevermind.

khan
05-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Granted this is somewhat tangential, but MLB really needs a rookie salary cap to go with an international amateur draft.

While I've read that this guy has some phenomenal potential, he IS still 100% unproven. It is ridiculous to give bonuses [of this magnitude] to unproven players.

Daisuke was at least proven as a pro; I find it silly that borass is reportedly using Daisuke's signing as a template for Strasburg's contract.

Oblong
05-01-2009, 03:46 PM
I find it silly that borass is reportedly using Daisuke's signing as a template for Strasburg's contract.

It's only silly until he gets what he wants. Then it's smart. He's only playing by the rules baseball has set up. The Nationals don't have to draft him.

NDSox12
05-02-2009, 12:16 AM
The Nats pretty much have to make this work. The only thing their fans have to hang their hat on right now is that Strasburg is coming and will be in the big leagues soon. Even if he turns out to be a total bust, they really can't afford NOT to draft and sign him just to give the franchise a temporary boost.

russ99
05-02-2009, 12:19 AM
The Nats pretty much have to make this work. The only thing their fans have to hang their hat on right now is that Strasburg is coming and will be in the big leagues soon. Even if he turns out to be a total bust, they really can't afford NOT to draft and sign him just to give the franchise a temporary boost.

And besides, if they balk at the asking price, then some other team will gladly pay up. Boras has them up the proverbial creek. But the Nats could also stick it to him and keep him in the minors to stall the arb clock and get their money's worth, much like the O's did with Wieters.

A shame we have to wait for the next CBA to rein in Boras. And believe me, if there's some kind of payment structure to the draft, there goes 95% of Boras' bargaining power with kids.

Shoeless_Jeff
05-02-2009, 12:26 AM
If the Nats were going to draft me, I'd be suicidal.

4 points
05-03-2009, 05:29 AM
Mike Moore
Tim Belcher
Andy Benes
Ben McDonald
Brien Taylor
Paul Wilson
Kris Benson
Matt Anderson
Bryan Bullington
Luke Hochevar
David Price

Buyer beware!!
If you added up the win totals of all of the above it may not reach 200.

Britt Burns
05-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Mike Moore
Tim Belcher
Andy Benes
Ben McDonald
Brien Taylor
Paul Wilson
Kris Benson
Matt Anderson
Bryan Bullington
Luke Hochevar
David Price

And as far as I know, with the exception of McDonald all of those players spent more than a month or two in the minors, something the Nats seem unlikely to do with Strasburg.

TealTank
05-03-2009, 04:37 PM
If you added up the win totals of all of the above it may not reach 200.

Ok, I took the time to look up those players. Didn't bother with Hochevar or Price since they are just starting.

Moore won 161 games, also lost 176
Belcher 146-140
Benes 155-139
McDonald 78-70
Taylor never reached the majors.
Wilson 40-58
Benson 69-74
Anderson 15-7
Bullington 0-5. #1 pick in 2002.

Bene has the best winning perct.
Moore won the most games.

asindc
05-03-2009, 09:43 PM
And as far as I know, with the exception of McDonald all of those players spent more than a month or two in the minors, something the Nats seem unlikely to do with Strasburg.

The Nats will take their time with Strasburg. It's not like he will make much difference for them early in his career.

Mr. White Sox
05-03-2009, 10:42 PM
If he's a perennial All-Star, then I'll eat it. But as someone said, it's rare for top overall pitchers to be great players.

Still, you can't compare #1 overall picks like they are the same type of player. Drafts are variable in skill level every year. Alex Rodriguez, for example, was a much better #1 overall pick than Delmon Young, despite Young's positive scouting reports. Nobody compared Young to ARod.

By extension, Strasburg is being raved about by scouts, who see him as one of the better pitching prospects of the last decade. Mark Prior would be a better name if you're looking to criticize the eventual pick, based on how scouts saw them before the draft.

TealTank
05-04-2009, 01:37 AM
Still, you can't compare #1 overall picks like they are the same type of player. Drafts are variable in skill level every year. Alex Rodriguez, for example, was a much better #1 overall pick than Delmon Young, despite Young's positive scouting reports. Nobody compared Young to ARod.

By extension, Strasburg is being raved about by scouts, who see him as one of the better pitching prospects of the last decade. Mark Prior would be a better name if you're looking to criticize the eventual pick, based on how scouts saw them before the draft.

The facts are those pitchers were drafted #1 overall. Some came with a lot of press clippings, Benes and McDonald were very highly touted.

But the fact remains, none of those pitchers who were drafted #1 have done well.

Is Strasburg is drafted #1 overall, he maybe the exception or he will continue the sorry rate.

AZChiSoxFan
05-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Mike Moore
Tim Belcher
Andy Benes
Ben McDonald
Brien Taylor
Paul Wilson
Kris Benson
Matt Anderson
Bryan Bullington
Luke Hochevar
David Price

Buyer beware!!

You could almost add Mark Prior to that list, as he was considered to be the best player in that draft but the Twins were scared off by the amount of $$$ they thought it would take to sign him.

Of course, adding him to your list only further validates your point.