PDA

View Full Version : Strange first month.

Railsplitter
04-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Kansas City over .500 with a record better than 1-0 or 2-1, and in a three way tie for first with the Sox and Tigers, and with the first pitcher in the bigs to notch five wins?

The Yankees getting clobbered three times in a week's time, twice to a Cleveland team that's staggering out of the gate?

The Fish off to the best start in baseball?

Paulie and J.D. getting career Homers # 300 in the same game?

Been a strange first month.

Let's hope it leads to a glorious season! :cheers:

eriqjaffe
04-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Don't forget Toronto and Seattle both being in first place.

At least there are things we can count on, like Washington stinking.

esbrechtel
04-30-2009, 11:09 AM
St. Louis and Pittsburgh doing well also...

AZChiSoxFan
04-30-2009, 01:26 PM
Plus, two guys hitting for the cycle already. Kinsler went 6 for 6 when he hit for the cycle. He became the first player to do that since '90. That would be 1890.

Cleveland scores 14 runs.....in one inning.

Grienke became just the third pitcher in something like the last 50 years to win each of his first 5 starts and have an ERA of 0.50 or less (the other two were Pedro Martinez in 1997 and Fernando Valenzuela in 1981).

Then last night Gallardo of the Brewers pitches lights out and homers for the only run of the game.

Yes, one month in, this has already been a great baseball season.

JohnTucker0814
04-30-2009, 01:30 PM
Plus, two guys hitting for the cycle already. Kinsler went 6 for 6 when he hit for the cycle. He became the first player to do that since '90. That would be 1890.

Cleveland scores 14 runs.....in one inning.

Grienke became just the third pitcher in something like the last 50 years to win each of his first 5 starts and have an ERA of 0.50 or less (the other two were Pedro Martinez in 1997 and Fernando Valenzuela in 1981).

Then last night Gallardo of the Brewers pitches lights out and homers for the only run of the game.

Yes, one month in, this has already been a great baseball season.

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

The most amazing sport ever invented!

doublem23
04-30-2009, 01:37 PM
St. Louis and Pittsburgh doing well also...

I'm not surprised St. Louis is so good, but I am surprised they've played so well without Carpenter for most of the month.

I hope they can keep it up. Would be nice to watch them end the Cubs "dynasty."

thedudeabides
04-30-2009, 01:45 PM
I'm not surprised St. Louis is so good, but I am surprised they've played so well without Carpenter for most of the month.

I hope they can keep it up. Would be nice to watch them end the Cubs "dynasty."

I've always been a Cardinals fan. With LaRussa and Pujols there, they remind me of the Twins. No matter what you think of them or what deficiencies they seem to have, do not right them off.

thomas35forever
04-30-2009, 01:48 PM
St. Louis currently has the best record at 15-7. Not sure how long they'll stay this good. I don't think Florida's going to be on top all season either. They just came off a lengthy losing streak, so they're far from the best team in baseball.

SoxGirl4Life
04-30-2009, 02:19 PM
St. Louis currently has the best record at 15-7. Not sure how long they'll stay this good. I don't think Florida's going to be on top all season either. They just came off a lengthy losing streak, so they're far from the best team in baseball.

I'm hoping they have one good weekend left in 'em

AZChiSoxFan
04-30-2009, 05:10 PM
The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

I LOVE that quote!!!

AnkleSox
04-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Hasn't there been an inordinate amount of grand slams as well? Or am I just making this up.

Metalthrasher442
04-30-2009, 06:56 PM
How about Dye's gold glove defense? He would definitely win it for the month of April if it was handed out monthly =D

MarySwiss
04-30-2009, 07:18 PM
I LOVE that quote!!!
I'm ashamed to say I didn't recognize the quote at first, and I wondered why he was calling you "Ray." :D:

Boondock Saint
05-01-2009, 06:49 AM
Plus, two guys hitting for the cycle already.

Incorrect. Three people have hit for the cycle so far. Kinsler, Kubel and Hudson.

Railsplitter
05-01-2009, 05:25 PM

Two cycles or three, I believe they are rarer than no-hitters.

TomBradley72
05-02-2009, 10:09 AM
"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." - Rogers Hornsby

It was definitely worth the wait. I remember when April was kind of a "throw away month" after Opening Day, but this April has been alot of fun to follow.

Made even better by MLB Network.

WhiteSoxJunkie
05-04-2009, 11:11 AM
To paraphrase Tim Kurkjian, "When you go to a game, you never know what you're going to see."

Baseball is always awesome. Why should April 2009 be any different?