PDA

View Full Version : Exploding sound at yesterday's game

roylestillman
04-30-2009, 08:43 AM
Did anybody hear an explanation for that loud explosion that took place during yesterday's game? It was loud enough for the ump to call time and look around. It sounded like it came from beyond left center.

Harry Potter
04-30-2009, 09:00 AM
I was there and heard it as well. Haven't heard anything since about what it was

eriqjaffe
04-30-2009, 09:08 AM
Isn't that roughly where the fireworks get launched from?

spawn
04-30-2009, 09:09 AM
It was probably the sound of the FOBA's jaws dropping at the sight of BA pulling his oblique and Jerry owens replacing him. Nothing to worry about.

roylestillman
04-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Isn't that roughly where the fireworks get launched from?

Yep, and that was the speculation in our section - a delayed shell from the AJ home run.

ramblinsoxfan11
04-30-2009, 11:00 AM
I heard that as well, my friends and I concluded that maybe it was a car accident outside the park that echoed... but it would have had to be one heck of an accident. The players stopped for a second to look around as well, I was sitting near the Mariners dug out and I could hear them asking each other what it was too.

Speaking of which, I saw on mlb.com last night that an emergency siren went off in Detroit last night when they were playing the Yankees and the ump almost pulled the players from the field, but it was a mistake someone hit the fire alarm.

Taliesinrk
04-30-2009, 11:00 AM
I was down the LF line and was wondering if it came from the concourse... It certainly was interesting. I guess fireworks could explain it. The way it echoed, I guessed it was over the speakers.

scarsofthumper
04-30-2009, 11:18 AM
That sounded exactly like a delayed shell

soxinem1
04-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Soxinem1, Jr. was at the game yesterday on a school trip and he said it sounded like fireworks from the LF area.

I rememeber a few misfires from the days at old Comiskey.

tebman
04-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Soxinem1, Jr. was at the game yesterday on a school trip and he said it sounded like fireworks from the LF area.

Bill Veeck had a story in his book "Veeck As In Wreck" that told about a fireworks operator he hired in the 1959 or 1960 season. As I recall he was supposed to do a fireworks show between games of a double-header. The guy set up in Armour Sqaure park behind left field, was careless and lit one or more while one of the games was going on. Scared the hell out of everybody.

Veeck went out to one of the open archways behind left field and shouted at the guy to knock it off. The fireworks guy argued about it and Veeck fired him on the spot.

Jimmy Piersall hated the fireworks when he played CF for the Indians. He once threw a warmup ball at the scoreboard that hit with a loud BAM! He complained about the smell, about debris that fell in the field, and about the whole celebratory taunt of the scoreboard. Buy hey, Jimmy, that was the point! :redneck

eriqjaffe
04-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Jimmy Piersall hated the fireworks when he played CF for the Indians. He once threw a warmup ball at the scoreboard that hit with a loud BAM! He complained about the smell, about debris that fell in the field, and about the whole celebratory taunt of the scoreboard. Buy hey, Jimmy, that was the point! :redneckThere's always the classic Yankees story, too.

http://books.google.com/books?id=-Hg_UWTiN2AC&pg=PA280&lpg=PA280&dq=yankees+sparklers+comiskey&source=bl&ots=Y66ZH0bILJ&sig=qDImUh02gmP0Q4_eFGYM8E3JRr8&hl=en&ei=dtz5SYn4JqfmtgPIuLnaAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

VeeckAsInWreck
04-30-2009, 12:19 PM
There's always the classic Yankees story, too.

http://books.google.com/books?id=-Hg_UWTiN2AC&pg=PA280&lpg=PA280&dq=yankees+sparklers+comiskey&source=bl&ots=Y66ZH0bILJ&sig=qDImUh02gmP0Q4_eFGYM8E3JRr8&hl=en&ei=dtz5SYn4JqfmtgPIuLnaAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

I love that story. Casey Stengel and Bill Veeck were some real characters.

slavko
04-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Have we forgotten the days of the sound of gunshots from across the Ryan?

Hitmen77
04-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Have we forgotten the days of the sound of gunshots from across the Ryan?

Why the teal? :redneck

boomer4593
04-30-2009, 04:48 PM
I was in Sec 159 Row 4, and it didn't sound like it came from the scoreboard.....I thought somebody threw and M80 or something!!!

pdimas
05-01-2009, 11:40 AM
The guys in the bullpen did blow off stuff last year a few times under the stands in left field. Some said the culprit was Dotel. The first time we were kind of surprised but after that it was fun watching everyone else freak out. :smile:

O.P.soxfan
05-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Alright.On the subject of strange things at the ballpark.
Did anyone else notice the big,twin prop plane that banked at maybe only 200 yards above the 1st base side on Sunday?
It was in the 8th when the wind really started swirling,and it really looked like it was blown off course.

october23sp
05-01-2009, 09:10 PM
When I was at the cell, a Red Sox player tried to throw a ball to a fan but hit the ribbon scoreboard. Some chunks of plastic came downs and now I own some of U.S Cellular Field. relates to what someone else said in this thread.

chisoxfanatic
05-01-2009, 11:07 PM
I was down the LF line and was wondering if it came from the concourse... It certainly was interesting. I guess fireworks could explain it. The way it echoed, I guessed it was over the speakers.
I was sitting down that way, and the first thing that came to my mind was thinking a huge semi truck got stuck underneath the 35th street bridge.
Alright.On the subject of strange things at the ballpark.
Did anyone else notice the big,twin prop plane that banked at maybe only 200 yards above the 1st base side on Sunday?
It was in the 8th when the wind really started swirling,and it really looked like it was blown off course.
I was at a night game last year when one of our guys hit a home run (I think it was Dye), and a plane flew pretty low over the ballpark at the time the fireworks went off. I thought that was a very close encounter.

oldcomiskey
05-02-2009, 10:24 AM

and a few of them were even from the scoreboard