PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, is it just the money ?

NLaloosh
04-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Why not Jim Edmonds ?

When you're playing ring-around-the-rosie with Dewayne Wise, Jerry Owens, Brian Anderson and Scott Podsednik how can you snub your nose at Jim Edmonds ?

I'm well aware that he'll turn 39 at the end of June and that he's not the player that he was in 2005 when he won the Gold Glove and Silver Slugger at CF but he played CF last year with an OPS of .822 at the plate.

He wants to play and reports are that he's been staying in shape. Let's be honest - he's much better than this cast of characters.

Is it the money ? He doesn't want to play for the Sox ? Or, is Kenny pissed at him for not accepting a trade here a couple of years ago ?

Noneck
04-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Why not Jim Edmonds ?

When you're playing ring-around-the-rosie with Dewayne Wise, Jerry Owens, Brian Anderson and Scott Podsednik how can you snub your nose at Jim Edmonds ?

I'm well aware that he'll turn 39 at the end of June and that he's not the player that he was in 2005 when he won the Gold Glove and Silver Slugger at CF but he played CF last year with an OPS of .822 at the plate.

He wants to play and reports are that he's been staying in shape. Let's be honest - he's much better than this cast of characters.

Is it the money ? He doesn't want to play for the Sox ? Or, is Kenny pissed at him for not accepting a trade here a couple of years ago ?

At this point no stone should go unturned. I mentioned this option earlier when Anderson went down. I don't know if Edmonds or Lofton are able to or even close to be ready to play but they should considered. And the money these two would command should not be an issue but who knows.

spawn
04-30-2009, 09:57 AM
I think we should bring back Kenny Lofton. He could bat leadoff and play center. Go get him Kenny!!!

BTW...I'm not even remotely serious about this.

esbrechtel
04-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Edmonds is washed up...he will do us no good...

Are we playing how many guys can be placed on the Sox DL?

eriqjaffe
04-30-2009, 10:11 AM
If the Sox are just going to pull people off the scrap heap, they may as well sign Dave Roberts while they're at it.

Craig Grebeck
04-30-2009, 10:19 AM

What the hell is DeWayne Wise then? Or Scott Podsednik?

esbrechtel
04-30-2009, 10:58 AM

I think you are proving my point....

None of them are going to produce at a high level for the Sox this season. Why add more dead weight? :dunno:

hawkjt
04-30-2009, 11:03 AM
We can only play one reclamation project at a time. Be patient, we will work our way to Lofton and Edmonds within weeks the way guys are going down. Playing in Chicago in late winter has its hazards.:mad:

Craig Grebeck
04-30-2009, 11:15 AM
I think you are proving my point....

None of them are going to produce at a high level for the Sox this season. Why add more dead weight? :dunno:
After Edmonds' season in 2008, I'd hardly call him dead weight.

esbrechtel
04-30-2009, 11:20 AM
He hit .256 last season and who says he will come near that in the AL?

(also hit .178 in 20+ games with Padres)

Add those together and he hits .235 ish

He did hit 20 HRs though...but struck out 82 times

EDIT: That isn't a great season IMO

VeeckAsInWreck
04-30-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm in favor of bringing in Lofton. Even with his shoes tied together he's faster than half the team we have now.

thedudeabides
04-30-2009, 11:53 AM
After Edmonds' season in 2008, I'd hardly call him dead weight.

He got really hot in June and July last year. He was barely even playing down the stretch. And his defense is dead weight now. Not quite Griffey bad, but not that far off. His legs are just old.

Jim Shorts
04-30-2009, 11:54 AM
He hit .256 last season and who says he will come near that in the AL?

(also hit .178 in 20+ games with Padres)

Add those together and he hits .235 ish

He did hit 20 HRs though...but struck out 82 times

EDIT: That isn't a great season IMO

It was worth the 200k or so the Cubs spent, I'd say.

AZChiSoxFan
04-30-2009, 01:37 PM
What about Carl Everett?

russ99
04-30-2009, 02:31 PM

Washed up and no good? Very interesting. I wonder if Anderson played average defensively you'd say the same thing about him? But I guess than only applies to players keeping you know who on the bench. I supposed if Kenny signed Willy Tavares or acquired Coco Crisp in the offseason, you'd have a problem with them too.

BTW - I'm also waiting for the first "BA is made of glass" post. You guys quite obviously have a massive double-standard at work here.

And Edmonds has no knees left. Last year was a fluke in power-happy Wrigley. He should hang them up. Don't get me started on Lofton. Besides, he'll never play here again.

Craig Grebeck
04-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Washed up and no good? Very interesting. I wonder if Anderson played average defensively you'd say the same thing about him? But I guess than only applies to players keeping you know who on the bench. I supposed if Kenny signed Willy Tavares or acquired Coco Crisp in the offseason, you'd have a problem with them too.

BTW - I'm also waiting for the first "BA is made of glass" post. You guys quite obviously have a massive double-standard at work here.

And Edmonds has no knees left. Last year was a fluke in power-happy Wrigley. He should hang them up. Don't get me started on Lofton. Besides, he'll never play here again.
You are all over the place. Of course I'd say the same thing about BA, if he was average defensively. But he's not, so I don't understand what you're getting at. Well, I know you're grasping at straws, but other than that I'm not sure.

Yes, I'd be opposed to Willy Taveras. He sucks. I've said that many times.

Coco would have been fine, so long as we didn't give up anything too valuable.

I don't really think BA is an above average ballplayer, he's just got more value than the other two piece of **** CF Ozzie could have run out there (not to mention the new one).

Yes, I wish this organization had attempted to acquire an actual CF, I am simply stating I wouldn't be opposed to giving Edmonds an opportunity, given the current alternative. Same goes for Lofton.

04-30-2009, 04:03 PM

Exactly. As much as I have disliked Edmonds for years, at this point I say bring him in. I said he was toast last season with the Padres and then he stepped in at Wrigley and tore it up for awhile.

We just need someone to fill in while Anderson recovers. Perhaps Pods has some luck left in the tank.

Ron Karkovice
04-30-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm in favor of bringing in Lofton. Even with his shoes tied together he's faster than half the team we have now.

I disagree.

Sam Spade
05-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Anderson isn't going to be gone very long. I think we can wait it out.

Tragg
05-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Anderson isn't going to be gone very long. I think we can wait it out.
How long is he expected out?