PDA

View Full Version : I admit that I was wrong.

NLaloosh
04-30-2009, 09:34 AM
I was wrong about Chris Getz ever becoming a solid everyday player let alone him doing it this year.

I just wanted to state that and accept responsibility for irresponsible statements that I made about him never being more than a utility player.

I know that it's only been one month but he really does appear to have a good chance to be, at the least, a decent starting second baseman in the bigs.

I've gone from being positive that the Sox would have to get a veteran second baseman this past winter to really rooting for this guy.

I feel that I've rarely been wrong about Sox talent in recent years but I was here.

esbrechtel
04-30-2009, 09:59 AM
all of us need to eat crow from time to time...that said how about we give the kid more than a month before we start booking his flight to the all star game...

Metalthrasher442
04-30-2009, 11:05 AM
All of us have to eat crow once in a while.. let's just let his finger heal =D

If he comes back friday and his finger doesn't get in the way of his play.. then you will hear a sigh of relief coming from me.

voodoochile
04-30-2009, 11:05 AM
I'll always give credit for someone willing to step up and admit they were wrong.

Madvora
04-30-2009, 11:27 AM
They had Nix, Lillibridge, Getz and Beckham all fighting for that spot. I think we were bound to get at least one good player out of that.
However, we used to have Anderson, Sweeney, Young and Owens and we looked like we were going to be stacked, but look at where we're at in CF right now.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-30-2009, 11:37 AM
I was a Getz doubter too. So I join you NLaloosh in eating crow. :redface:

slavko
04-30-2009, 12:40 PM
In this spirit of magnanimity, I admit that I was right about Getz.

soxinem1
04-30-2009, 12:42 PM
I admire your willingness to do this, and while I feel he will be an asset and a solid MLB player, take caution we are only a few weeks into the season.

Let's see how MLB adapts to him, and vice versa.

But I liked his desire to lead-off right away and his getting to balls at 2B that Iguchi and Ramirez would still be chasing after. He's even fooled the cameramen a few times for assuming hits instead of putouts.

khan
05-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Hey, good for you!

While I wasn't a Getz doubter, I am ever-so-slowly sliding off the "Josh Fields is a tragedy at 3rd base" bandwagon.

It seems that Josh Fields' sleepovers at Joey Cora's house seem to have worked wonders for Fields. And I'm happy to report that he hasn't embarassed himself too much at 3rd this year.

BadBobbyJenks
05-01-2009, 03:01 PM
A little too early to be eating crow dont you think?

Taliesinrk
05-01-2009, 03:06 PM
In this spirit of magnanimity, I admit that I was right about Getz.

I think that it takes a lot for you to step up and admit your great foresight and wisdom. To come out and admit this is definitely commendable... Nice work.

rdwj
05-01-2009, 03:06 PM
While I wasn't a Getz doubter, I am ever-so-slowly sliding off the "Josh Fields is a tragedy at 3rd base" bandwagon.

I'm right with you. I thought that would be a massive failure, but he's done well so far.

Taliesinrk
05-01-2009, 03:08 PM
It seems that Josh Fields' sleepovers at Joey Cora's house seem to have worked wonders for Fields. And I'm happy to report that he hasn't embarassed himself too much at 3rd this year.

If sleepovers worked with Fields, maybe Joey should try locking Betemit in his basement for about a year.

cws05champ
05-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Hey, good for you!

For some reason I just got the picture of Alic Baldwin and Adam Sandler as Canteen boy in my head when I read this!

khan
05-01-2009, 03:49 PM
A little too early to be eating crow dont you think?

I don't know if you're directing this at me, but if you are:

I see that I didn't qualify my surprise with the phrase, "so far." I agree that it has been a bit too early to eat crow, but I WANT to eat crow on this one. As a SOX fan, I WANT Josh Fields to catch the ball, hit for a decent average, and not embarass himself with piles upon piles of strikeouts.

Again, so far, he hasn't been a tragedy in the field. Let's hope he keeps it up.

Nellie_Fox
05-01-2009, 03:52 PM
If sleepovers worked with Fields, maybe Joey should try locking Betemit in his basement for about a year.

...so far, he hasn't been a tragedy in the field. Let's hope he keeps it up.I'm still very unimpressed with Fields at third. He doesn't have particularly good instincts, doesn't react well to the ball off the bat. Hard hit balls to either side of him are almost by him before he even starts to move. He is still well below average defensively.

khan
05-01-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm still very unimpressed with Fields at third. He doesn't have particularly good instincts, doesn't react well to the ball off the bat. Hard hit balls to either side of him are almost by him before he even starts to move. He is still well below average defensively.

Oh, I agree with all of this. He IS still well below average. But with that said, Fields has outperformed my expectations as a tragedy at 3rd base.

BleacherBandit
05-01-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm still very unimpressed with Fields at third. He doesn't have particularly good instincts, doesn't react well to the ball off the bat. Hard hit balls to either side of him are almost by him before he even starts to move. He is still well below average defensively.

Yeah, but you can't complain about the way he's been hitting.

BadBobbyJenks
05-01-2009, 07:23 PM
I don't know if you're directing this at me, but if you are:

I see that I didn't qualify my surprise with the phrase, "so far." I agree that it has been a bit too early to eat crow, but I WANT to eat crow on this one. As a SOX fan, I WANT Josh Fields to catch the ball, hit for a decent average, and not embarass himself with piles upon piles of strikeouts.

Again, so far, he hasn't been a tragedy in the field. Let's hope he keeps it up.

Well yes to you about Fields with the glove and the OP all of a sudden saying Getz is a solid regular. I am happy with what we have seen so far, but I am not convinced.