PDA

View Full Version : New book claims A-Rod did steriods with Yankees, and as a teen.

Sockinchisox
04-30-2009, 01:39 AM
From Selena Roberts who broke the steroid story for SI.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/04/29/2009-04-29_arod_on_roids_for_years_new_book_claims_juiced_ with_yanks__even_as_a_teen_source.html

WhiteSox5187
04-30-2009, 02:01 AM
I think the most shocking claim here is that he only tips 15%. I tip 20% and am making about .00000001% as much as A-Rod.

HomeFish
04-30-2009, 02:08 AM
I tip 10% at buffets where the guy is just bringing me drinks and silverware, but not my food. But yeah 20% elsewhere and I'm one of the cheapest tippers I know.

Sox
04-30-2009, 04:10 AM
With the recent stories of rampant steroid use in MLB its almost sadly becoming a non story because we as fans have heard so many stories of star ballplayers being on the juice.

guillensdisciple
04-30-2009, 06:00 AM
Why do I keep on hearing about this every day? Damnit, give it up, and move on.

southside rocks
04-30-2009, 07:38 AM
Why do I keep on hearing about this every day? Damnit, give it up, and move on.

I disagree ... the media does not have to keep playing the same story over and over, but when genuine news of this kind about a current player is reported, it is worth our attention.

The recent disclosures about Clemens and A-Rod have had a very real impact on the likelihood of those two players, who put up great stats, getting into the HOF. That's important to me as a fan.

I know that not every player in the HOF is squeaky-clean, but I'm damned if I want a known juicer to be inducted when the case against him is as compelling as the cases against Bonds, Clemens, and A-Rod.

The steroid era lasted a while; "moving on" will take a while. And I'm okay with that. JMO.

Viva Medias B's
04-30-2009, 10:45 AM
I am sure the NY sports media will have a field day with this one, I have not been listening to WFAN's stream, but I bet they're talking about it.

Mendoza Line
04-30-2009, 11:16 AM
What irks me about this guy is how conveniently his story changes every time new facts are uncovered. He clearly thinks he can worm his way out of this with insincere apologies and blaming other people.

He'll deny he did it with that smug look on his face, again. Then, evidence will be brought forth to prove he did. Then he'll blame other players or claim he didn't know they were steroids. Then he will say he's surely not doing them now... again..

RockyMtnSoxFan
04-30-2009, 01:24 PM
I disagree ... the media does not have to keep playing the same story over and over, but when genuine news of this kind about a current player is reported, it is worth our attention.

The recent disclosures about Clemens and A-Rod have had a very real impact on the likelihood of those two players, who put up great stats, getting into the HOF. That's important to me as a fan.

I know that not every player in the HOF is squeaky-clean, but I'm damned if I want a known juicer to be inducted when the case against him is as compelling as the cases against Bonds, Clemens, and A-Rod.

The steroid era lasted a while; "moving on" will take a while. And I'm okay with that. JMO.

I agree that steroids should not be swept under the rug because we are tired of hearing about it. As for the steroid era lasting a while ... I think it's still going. The more attention stories like this one get, the sooner it will come to an end. Or rather, the sooner the amount of steroid use will decrease. There will always be guys who try to get away with something.

If we decide that we don't want to hear about it any more, we've decided that it's OK and should continue. The only way baseball will get clean is if stuff like this comes out, and they are forced to make changes to testing policy in order to avoid a large outcry. Yes, I'm talking about Congress, even though they have better things to worry about.

Woofer
04-30-2009, 05:27 PM
We either need to start having indisputible evidence on these accusations, or these stories need to go away. MLB isn't going to do a damn thing to Arod anyway.

FarWestChicago
04-30-2009, 06:09 PM
:fobbgod:

I'm tired of boring steroid stories.

:barrybonds

Me, too!

:payrod

Yeah, it's boring. Let's talk about how great I am!

:nandrolone

Everybody knows nobody has ever done steroids!

DSpivack
04-30-2009, 06:27 PM

Everybody knows nobody has ever done steroids!

There's your mistake. When it comes to this particular issue, he can not comment as he does not know english.

DSpivack
04-30-2009, 07:00 PM
He tipped his team's pitches to the opposing team?!?! :o:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/04/30/roberts.qa/index.html?eref=T1

FarWestChicago
04-30-2009, 07:09 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/04/30/roberts.qa/index.html?eref=T1:payrod

Anything to keep my number$ up!

HomeFish
05-01-2009, 01:46 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AtD0fsjyRmfRfG_QHOHamlk5nYcB?slug=ti-dodgerarod043009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

How is this guy even still in the majors.

TealTank
05-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Does the phrase making a mountain out of a mole hill mean anything to you?

SOX ADDICT '73
05-01-2009, 06:41 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090430&content_id=4506510&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Doug Mientkiewicz is your character reference? I think A-Rod has finally hit rock bottom.

southside rocks
05-01-2009, 07:18 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090430&content_id=4506510&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Doug Mientkiewicz is your character reference? I think A-Rod has finally hit rock bottom.

I had pretty much the same reaction to that piece. :scratch:

palehozenychicty
05-01-2009, 08:24 PM
He's been dubbed A-Fraud for a reason.

FarWestChicago
05-01-2009, 10:27 PM
He's been dubbed A-Fraud for a reason.The fact he was the hero of so many on this board; their consensus "greatest player of all time", is just pathetic. At least they have had the decency to slink off into silence. I'll give them that. :thumbsup:

Daver
05-01-2009, 10:35 PM
The fact he was the hero of so many on this board; their consensus "greatest player of all time", is just pathetic. At least they have had the decency to slink off into silence. I'll give them that. :thumbsup:

Is Mickey Mantle a fraud for using amphetamines?

FarWestChicago
05-01-2009, 10:48 PM
Is Mickey Mantle a fraud for using amphetamines?If you don't know the difference between what speed and 'roids do for you, you haven't followed pure sports like track and field. Every female 'roid record through one mile is still standing today, long after Bob Beamon's miracle athletic accomplishment of all time has fallen. All of you who don't understand what 'roids do are astonishingly ignorant of what 'roids have done to baseball. I know, it's boring. You don't care. Move on. I should not have posted here. I apologize.

RKMeibalane
05-02-2009, 03:16 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AtD0fsjyRmfRfG_QHOHamlk5nYcB?slug=ti-dodgerarod043009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

How is this guy even still in the majors.

Homefish, you do realize that by creating a thread about this, you're giving Eye Chart exactly what he wants, don't you?

Bobby Thigpen
05-02-2009, 05:51 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/04/30/roberts.qa/index.html?eref=T1
That may be even more damnable to the game than the roids. What a dirtbag.

Daver
05-02-2009, 08:46 PM
If you don't know the difference between what speed and 'roids do for you, you haven't followed pure sports like track and field. Every female 'roid record through one mile is still standing today, long after Bob Beamon's miracle athletic accomplishment of all time has fallen. All of you who don't understand what 'roids do are astonishingly ignorant of what 'roids have done to baseball.

I know exactly what steroids do, and I also know what amphetamines do, comparing track and field to baseball is a poor comparison, unlike track and field, you need not be an athlete to be a ball player. Steroids benefit pitchers far more than they do hitters in the long run when it comes to baseball, whereas amphetemines benefit hitters a lot more than pitchers. If anyone wants to belittle the accomplishments from any position player that has played in the so-called "Steroids Era" then they should understand that the sixties and seventies were filled with hitters that were using drugs that gave them a huge advantage over the pitchers.

FarWestChicago
05-02-2009, 10:37 PM
If anyone wants to belittle the accomplishments from any position player that has played in the so-called "Steroids Era" then they should understand that the sixties and seventies were filled with hitters that were using drugs that gave them a huge advantage over the pitchers.It didn't seem to hurt Bob Gibson or Denny McClain. From '71 until '77 no AL hitter managed 40 homers. Those were All Star game figures for some guys during the "clean era".

I have no idea what you are talking about.

What's two decades of sophisticated hormone manipulation? Well, other than a ****load of money.

Daver
05-02-2009, 11:02 PM
It didn't seem to hurt Bob Gibson or Denny McClain. From '71 until '77 no AL hitter managed 40 homers. Those were All Star game figures for some guys during the "clean era".

I have no idea what you are talking about.

What's two decades of sophisticated hormone manipulation? Well, other than a ****load of money.

I'm sure that lowering the mound had nothing to do with that.

FarWestChicago
05-02-2009, 11:11 PM
I'm sure that lowering the mound had nothing to do with that.They lowered the mound right when you said the hitters had the drug advantage over the pitchers. The pitchers were dominating. You can't have it both ways.

PatK
05-03-2009, 01:52 PM
They lowered the mound right when you said the hitters had the drug advantage over the pitchers. The pitchers were dominating. You can't have it both ways.

Regardless, amphetamines still were performance enhancing.

Having a quicker reaction time would not only be beneficial when hitting, but in the field as well.

Maybe I am the only person, or maybe not, I don't care how big or small the advantages are, but any drug use is cheating. Seems somewhat hypocritical to punish for one and not see other.

WhiteSox5187
05-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Regardless, amphetamines still were performance enhancing.

Having a quicker reaction time would not only be beneficial when hitting, but in the field as well.

Maybe I am the only person, or maybe not, I don't care how big or small the advantages are, but any drug use is cheating. Seems somewhat hypocritical to punish for one and not see other.

Does it improve your reaction or just make you jittery? I don't know as I've never taken the stuff, but really from what I've heard (and this is not coming from the most sophisticated sources) amphetamines are really just a hopped version of Ridalin and make you focus more while not exactly helping your reaction, giving a faster swing, etc.

And Daver, if amphetamines were more beneficial to hitters, how come you didn't start seeing hitting records fall left and right during the 1960s and 1970s? The game was a speed game (which maybe a side effect of amphetamine use) up until the late 1980s.

I think that steroids probably benefit hitters more as while they can give pitchers than extra few miles per hour on their fastball, they are just as likely to blow their elbow out due to the unnatural motion of pitching. A swing is at least a little easier on the joints than pitching; however steroids have benefitted both sides (for A-Rod there is a Clemens and a lot of relief pitchers).

FarWestChicago
05-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Seems somewhat hypocritical to punish for one and not see other.There is nothing hypocritical about saying 'roids have had a bigger impact on the game than amphetamines. There is no pro-speed argument implied there. Who said anything about not punishing drug abusers and cheaters? :scratch:

PaleHoser
05-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Rodriguez also allegedly tipped pitches to opponents during blowouts (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/04/30/roberts.qa/index.html/).

I half expect that he will have a "setback" in his rehab so he doesn't return until after all this dies down a bit. I think he's too thin-skinned to deal with all this controversy.

mjmcend
05-04-2009, 07:58 PM
On the new allegations, here is an interesting article about the author of the book and her credibility problems.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1175681.html

I, for one, do not like the idea that the claims in this book were either not sourced or the facts were attributed to anonymous sources.

southside rocks
05-05-2009, 09:42 PM
I, for one, do not like the idea that the claims in this book were either not sourced or the facts were attributed to anonymous sources.

I imagine that the players who talked to the author did so on the condition that their names not be used. It's hardly news that few or no players want to go on the record and talk about the steroid use in baseball in the late 1990s and early 2000s. And in fact, there are a few quotes in the book that are attributed.

I'm almost finished reading the book, and it is an interesting account of A-Rod's life. Whether or not one believes the things that Roberts was told, that's up to the reader. But given the seriousness of the allegations, and the fact that Roberts does have a great deal of credibility in her field (notwithstanding the fact that one writer is livid about how she covered the Duke lacrosse team incident), it's not reasonable to believe that she made the stuff up.

The book presents Bud Selig with a big problem.

southside rocks
05-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Rodriguez also allegedly tipped pitches to opponents during blowouts (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/04/30/roberts.qa/index.html/).

This is potentially huge, IMO.

Roberts also mentions in the book, in the part about the pitch-tipping, that when A-Rod left Texas, the team ERA was a full point (run) lower the next year. She says that certainly other factors also contributed to that, but it is an interesting stat.

doublem23
05-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Selena Roberts is a piece of ****. Anyone who still takes her seriously needs to be hit in the head with a tack hammer.

southside rocks
05-05-2009, 10:30 PM
Selena Roberts is a piece of ****. Anyone who still takes her seriously needs to be hit in the head with a tack hammer.

So A-Rod is not a juicer, because Roberts thinks he is?

itsjustinf
05-06-2009, 04:14 PM
So A-Rod is not a juicer, because Roberts thinks he is?

No, but her credibility is in question because of the Duke Lacrosse case, as it should be. She handled that entire situation poorly, and, to my knowledge, has never so much as hinted at being wrong about it.

That being said, I don't doubt much of what I'm hearing about A-Rod. He's always seemed like a Grade A dbag to me.