PDA

View Full Version : Anderson shut down

Sockinchisox
04-29-2009, 06:00 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/04/white-soxs-brian-anderson-shut-down.html

BleacherBandit
04-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Jerry Owens time. :o:

Bring up Podsednik, please.

illini81887
04-29-2009, 06:02 PM
Jerry Owens time. :o:

Bring up Podsednik, please.
Looks like Owens got released

HawkDJ
04-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Regardless of your thoughts on BA we are now fresh out of center fielders. Don't even mention Podsednik.

voodoochile
04-29-2009, 06:04 PM
Looks like Owens got released

Wait until Friday. If BA goes on the DL. I doubt they cut Owens.

bigdommer
04-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Wow. I thought we were thin on CF's a month ago. This is pretty awful news. Although Verizon is pretty happy that Kenny's cell phone bill will be up.

kittle42
04-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Man, we're down to CF options no other team even wanted to consider.

Oh, wait, no team really wanted to even consider our options at the beginning of the season? :tongue:

soltrain21
04-29-2009, 06:10 PM
So BA is going on the DL and it looks like Owens is getting cut? Who the hell is going to play center?

WhiteSox5187
04-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Ugh, what a shame and he looked like he had it figured out. Hopefully no trip to the DL is in order.

Sockinchisox
04-29-2009, 06:12 PM
So BA is going on the DL and it looks like Owens is getting cut? Who the hell is going to play center?

Looks like Pods.

Noneck
04-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Time to go to the scrap heap of old broken down centerfielders. Jim Edmonds, Kenny Lofton etc.

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-29-2009, 06:14 PM

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_325392.jpg

Me.

soltrain21
04-29-2009, 06:15 PM
http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_325392.jpg

Me.

****ing awful.

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-29-2009, 06:19 PM
****ing awful.

You got that right. At least we've all experienced the Mackowiak CF experiment. Can't be that bad, right?

oeo
04-29-2009, 06:21 PM
I can't imagine they're looking to Pods in CF. Ozzie wouldn't play him in CF three years ago.

WhiteSox5187
04-29-2009, 06:24 PM
I can't imagine they're looking to Pods in CF. Ozzie wouldn't play him in CF three years ago.

Boy, if Anderson does go on the DL, I think that Pods takes Jerry Owens' role on the team with Owens taking Anderson's. Otherwise, who is your backup OFer?

Domeshot17
04-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Im going to throw it out there, If Anderson heads to the DL, I think you could see both Nix and Pods brought up (assuming we are all lucky enough that Owens has been released)

Marqhead
04-29-2009, 06:30 PM
As much as you, I and your mother doesn't like it, Jerry Owens will be playing CF until BA returns. The Sox aren't going to release their last healthy CF to replace him with Pods/Nix/Lillibridge/Whatever other player you want to try and stick out there.

JB98
04-29-2009, 06:31 PM
I'm no fan of Owens, but I find it curious that he's packing his bags at this time. As thin as the Sox are in outfielders, can they really afford to be letting a guy with big-league experience go?

cheezheadsoxfan
04-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Alexei in CF, bring up Beckham?

southside rocks
04-29-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm no fan of Owens, but I find it curious that he's packing his bags at this time. As thin as the Sox are in outfielders, can they really afford to be letting a guy with big-league experience go?

"Jerry Owens, you just won the starting CF job with the Chicago White Sox! What are you gonna do now?"

"I'm going to DisneyWorld!"

Marqhead
04-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Alexei in CF, bring up Beckham?

Not going to happen. Beckham needs to stay at AA and take his time getting to the majors. No need to panic in April and rush him up here.

Domeshot17
04-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Not going to happen. Beckham needs to stay at AAA and take his time getting to the majors. No need to panic in April and rush him up here.

Hes in AA. Ozzie has said he wants him in double A all year

Marqhead
04-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Hes in AA. Ozzie has said he wants him in double A all year

Typo on my part, and I happen to agree with Ozzie.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-29-2009, 06:39 PM

Actually, deep down so do I. I'm just so anxious to see him play, but yeah, he needs to be handled carefully.

Domeshot17
04-29-2009, 06:39 PM

Me too, no need to rush this kid. We screw up enough prospects as is, good to see we might handle 1 properly for a change. Really the last thing we want is Beckham to be like Fields, and press huge because there isn't a spot for him yet.

It's Dankerific
04-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Sigh. I guess thats why they took him out right away, they knew he hurt it in the previous at bat.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was trying to hold that check swing. Sadder still because they still called it a strike.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Me too, no need to rush this kid. We screw up enough prospects as is, good to see we might handle 1 properly for a change. Really the last thing we want is Beckham to be like Fields, and press huge because there isn't a spot for him yet.

The reference to Fields, REALLY brought me to my senses.

Beer Can Chicken
04-29-2009, 06:47 PM

They are going on a road trip, is it possibly just garbage reporting?

gogosox16
04-29-2009, 06:47 PM
I think that if Owens is gone. Anderson is on the DL, then the Sox will call up Jason Nix to be utility, Pods and Lillibridge to platoon in center, and Getz back at 2nd since he's suppose to be back for the road trip. Of course this is banking on Thome possibly going on the DL (according to whitesox.com) so Pods and Nix could get called up

sox1970
04-29-2009, 06:50 PM
I think that if Owens is gone. Anderson is on the DL, then the Sox will call up Jayson Nix to be utility, Pods and Lillibridge to platoon in center, and Getz back at 2nd since he's supposed to be back for the road trip. Of course this is banking on Thome possibly going on the DL (according to whitesox.com) so Pods and Nix could get called up

If it's all three:
Owens released/sent down
Anderson on the DL
Thome on the DL

...then I think it will be Scott Podsednik, Jayson Nix, and Andy Phillips.

White City
04-29-2009, 07:10 PM
I know Restovich has a little service time in the bigs. Can he play CF? I'm guessing no, or we'd be trying him there.

JB98
04-29-2009, 07:17 PM
I know Restovich has a little service time in the bigs. Can he play CF? I'm guessing no, or we'd be trying him there.

Oh, goodness, no. Jermaine Dye is slowing down at this stage of his career, and he still moves better than Restovich in the outfield.

White City
04-29-2009, 07:22 PM
Oh, goodness, no. Jermaine Dye is slowing down at this stage of his career, and he still moves better than Restovich in the outfield.

Figured. He's listed at 250, so he probably wears tank treads instead of cleats.

JB98
04-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Figured. He's listed at 250, so he probably wears tank treads instead of cleats.

Yeah. He can hit the ball a long way (when he makes contact), but he doesn't solve any of the current needs at the big-league level.

Dibbs
04-29-2009, 07:35 PM
We could trade for Griffey or see if anyone can hunt down Erstad.

delben91
04-29-2009, 07:37 PM
Take it for what it's worth, but at the bottom of this article (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/04/roster-options-for-white-sox.html) it says Ozzie doesn't think Anderson will have to go on the DL.

Noneck
04-29-2009, 07:38 PM
We could trade for Griffey or see if anyone can hunt down Erstad.

Erstad has a gig in Houston, working hard to hit his weight down there.

SoxGirl4Life
04-29-2009, 07:39 PM
Gonzales has a blurb about Ozzie saying BA isn't going on the DL, so who knows.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/04/roster-options-for-white-sox.html

JB98
04-29-2009, 07:40 PM
They are going on a road trip, is it possibly just garbage reporting?

No. Both Cowley and Gonzalez are reporting that Owens was packing his bags and saying goodbye to teammates, shaking hands with clubhouse attendants, etc.

What that bit of news means, we can only speculate because the Sox aren't making any official announcements.

Noneck
04-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Gonzales has a blurb about Ozzie saying BA isn't going on the DL, so who knows.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/04/roster-options-for-white-sox.html

Harrelson must have finally got around to giving Anderson his magic magnets to cure him.

sunofgold
04-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Wait and see. But, please replace Owens with Pods. Give Owens a chance maybe with a NL team. Pods would be the perfect guy off the bench for the White Sox. Better than Owens.

ShoelessJoeS
04-29-2009, 07:58 PM
You got that right. At least we've all experienced the Mackowiak CF experiment. Can't be that bad, right?I don't think anything can be as ugly as that was.

russ99
04-29-2009, 08:02 PM
****ing awful.

Some of you need to get a grip.

Podsednik played a capable CF in Milwaukee before he can here, and also played 36 games there for the Rockies (in their massive CF) last year.

He may not be the defensive stud some of you seem to prefer in center (and only a handful of teams in the majors actually have), but he's capable.

In fact, when Kenny traded for him, it was to play CF, but Rowand was a better option at the time, so Pods was moved to LF.

And even if he hits around the same as he did with Colorado, it's a far sight better than any of our other options while Getz is out, and if he does better than that, Getz could move down to his optimal #2 and Fields could solidify things lower down the order.

Flight #24
04-29-2009, 08:03 PM
With Getz sounding like he's coming back soon, I bet it'll be Owens down, Lillibridge taking over in CF while Anderson recuperates, and then if BA needs to hit the DL, Pods up to platoon with BL. And if Getz isn't ready, it's Nix time.

None of which are worse than JO, so it's the best you can do. Too bad for BA, he was finally IMO coming through and even though it's early, I thought he was going to keep it up.

rdwj
04-29-2009, 08:07 PM
All this kinda makes me wish we still had Swish. His 2 homers tonight didn't help my think differently

slavko
04-29-2009, 08:13 PM
No way Owens could be part of a trade, is there? For a CF we might know from once upon a time?

Frater Perdurabo
04-29-2009, 08:14 PM
No way Owens could be part of a trade, is there? For a CF we might know from once upon a time?

Mike Cameron? :D:

Bucky F. Dent
04-29-2009, 08:31 PM
BUGGER!

This stinks, BA was starting to show some real confidence at the plate!

Will they start Lillibridge in center if the cut Owens?

Tragg
04-29-2009, 08:49 PM
I've heard that Luis Terrero might be available

Daver
04-29-2009, 08:53 PM

Why would any team trade for a player they could have claimed off of waivers at the begining of the season?

Marqhead
04-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Why would any team trade for a player they could have claimed off of waivers at the begining of the season?

It's obvious to me Daver, that you just don't understand how most MLB front offices work.

Daver
04-29-2009, 09:05 PM
It's obvious to me Daver, that you just don't understand how most MLB front offices work.

This is probably true.

My goal is to learn something about the business of baseball within the next year or so.

TheVulture
04-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Some of you need to get a grip.

Podsednik played a capable CF in Milwaukee before he can here, and also played 36 games there for the Rockies (in their massive CF) last year.

He may not be the defensive stud some of you seem to prefer in center (and only a handful of teams in the majors actually have), but he's capable.

In fact, when Kenny traded for him, it was to play CF, but Rowand was a better option at the time, so Pods was moved to LF.

Since Rowand was our CFer at the time, and Mackowiak played CF in front of Pods after Rowand was dealt, obviously Pods wasn't acquired to play CF for the Sox. And he was garbage in CF for Mil, was crap for us in LF, and would be garbage in CF for us now. Between garbage and defensive stud there lies a gulf which includes poor, passable, solid, and good. Any of those is preferable to Pods.

russ99
04-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Since Rowand was our CFer at the time, and Mackowiak played CF in front of Pods after Rowand was dealt, obviously Pods wasn't acquired to play CF for the Sox. And he was garbage in CF for Mil, was crap for us in LF, and would be garbage in CF for us now. Between garbage and defensive stud there lies a gulf which includes poor, passable, solid, and good. Any of those is preferable to Pods.

That's your opinion. Show me numbers that says he was garbage in Milwaukee. Other than that one embarrassing play in Oakland, he was passable in LF for us. I didn't see him play in Colorado, like the other two, but the fact they put him out in that massive CF seems to deflate your suggestion.

Some of you guys seem to think that everyone starting in CF in the majors is a gold-glover, and they're not.

balke
04-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Any chance Wise is ready to come back?

Marqhead
04-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Any chance Wise is ready to come back?

Not for several more weeks.

balke
04-29-2009, 09:24 PM
All this kinda makes me wish we still had Swish. His 2 homers tonight didn't help my think differently

I'm enjoying speed on the base paths, a true defensive CFer, and not having a lineup of HR or nothing so far this year. Now is not the time to sign Carl Everett 3, Ken Griffey Jr., Nick Swisher, Adam Dunn, or putting PK in RF, JD in CF and Thome at 1B and re-signing Thomas.

Use Owens and Pods til Wise and Anderson get healthy, end of story. This team needs to regroup. This year they can do that and stay competitive.

kittle42
04-29-2009, 09:36 PM
I'm enjoying speed on the base paths, a true defensive CFer, and not having a lineup of HR or nothing so far this year. Now is not the time to sign Carl Everett 3, Ken Griffey Jr., Nick Swisher, Adam Dunn, or putting PK in RF, JD in CF and Thome at 1B and re-signing Thomas.

Strangely, that's still precisely what this team is, though.

soxinem1
04-29-2009, 09:37 PM
I don't think anything can be as ugly as that was.

You didn't see Kenny Williams at 3B in 1988, did you?:smile:

voodoochile
04-29-2009, 10:23 PM

Well, IF BA doesn't go on the DL, THEN Owens won't be back with the team. I doubt he had much in his locker anyway because he was a temp while Wise is on the DL, so he'd be taking most of it with him on the road trip anyway and obviously there is a good chance he won't be back in the home locker room soon either way, so it would make sense to pack it all up.

All of this is speculation anyway. The Sox will announce their plans on Friday after evaluating BA and figuring out if Getz will be back...

balke
04-29-2009, 11:13 PM
Strangely, that's still precisely what this team is, though.

I never want the HR's to go away, but already I think I've seen more runs scored with clutch singles and runners beating throws out than I did all of last season.

AlleghenySoxFan
04-30-2009, 12:04 AM
rowand!!!!!!!!!!!

palehozenychicty
04-30-2009, 12:10 AM
I hope that BA is only on the shelf for a little while. He didn't hit against the M's, but has been a stabilizer for the lineup. I'm guessing that Chris will be back on Friday. Then it's cool.

WhiteSox5187
04-30-2009, 12:57 AM
I never want the HR's to go away, but already I think I've seen more runs scored with clutch singles and runners beating throws out than I did all of last season.

Really? I see a team that is incapable of brining a runner in on third with less than two outs, a team that can't score from second on a single and a team that seems to swing for the fences with guys in scoring position. That's just me.

BadBobbyJenks
04-30-2009, 01:31 AM
Hmmm, Lillibridge is not any good, Jerry Owens is worse, Wise is bad/hurt and Pods cant play center.

Did you ever think you would be praying for Anderson to be back in the lineup ASAP? :o:

Taliesinrk
04-30-2009, 01:39 AM
Hmmm, Lillibridge is not any good, Jerry Owens is worse, Wise is bad/hurt and Pods cant play center.

Did you ever think you would be praying for Anderson to be back in the lineup ASAP? :o:

Yes

Ron Karkovice
04-30-2009, 03:12 AM
Yes

:o:

balke
04-30-2009, 05:32 AM
Really? I see a team that is incapable of brining a runner in on third with less than two outs, a team that can't score from second on a single and a team that seems to swing for the fences with guys in scoring position. That's just me.

In the games I've seen, Anderson, Fields, and Getz have been doing these things. Ramirez is off to a cold start, but he'll bring some of this later in the season as well.

Look at the blowout games the Sox have had, and its not all HR. A lot of big base hits and capitalizing on errors have happened compared to last season.

Obviously Dye Konerko Thome and A.J. are base cloggers, but I think so far the Sox are looking more balanced without trying to cram Swisher and Crede into the equation.

guillen4life13
04-30-2009, 05:32 AM
Dead serious here.

Something I simply don't see the harm in and was, I think sarcastically mentioned in an earlier post:

:lofton
I hit .296/.367 with a .781 OPS, and went 23/30 on stolen base attempts over 490 AB in 2007, and I didn't play last year. I may have lost a step but I can still play center field better than any of your healthy options. I want to play. I asked for $6MM/yr a year ago, before the market tanked. I'll help your team get to the postseason.

Honestly, I'd be really surprised if the Sox don't bring Lofton back if Anderson's injury is anything to be worried about.

WSox597
04-30-2009, 06:15 AM
It seems like Anderson is snake-bit, or star-crossed. Just as he seems to be finding his stroke, this happens.

I hope he can come back quickly before he regresses.

Owens in CF is just too painful to consider, or watch. He's a pinch-runner sort of player.

Somebody else gets on base, and he can run for them. That's about it.

Noneck
04-30-2009, 06:56 AM
Dead serious here.

Something I simply don't see the harm in and was, I think sarcastically mentioned in an earlier post:

I hit .296/.367 with a .781 OPS, and went 23/30 on stolen base attempts over 490 AB in 2007, and I didn't play last year. I may have lost a step but I can still play center field better than any of your healthy options. I want to play. I asked for $6MM/yr a year ago, before the market tanked. I'll help your team get to the postseason.

Honestly, I'd be really surprised if the Sox don't bring Lofton back if Anderson's injury is anything to be worried about.

It was not sarcastic. Desperate times calls for desperate measures.

A. Cavatica
04-30-2009, 07:56 AM
I may have lost a step but I can still play center field better than any of your healthy options. I want to play.

Griffey?

NLaloosh
04-30-2009, 08:12 AM
Time to go to the scrap heap of old broken down centerfielders. Jim Edmonds, Kenny Lofton etc.

It's hard to imagine that these options could be any worse. Atleast they can hit big league pitching.

NLaloosh
04-30-2009, 08:18 AM
Honestly, I think that Anderson will not be out long.

I think that KW will dump Owens in favor of Pods.

And, the 3-headed monster that we will see all year will be Anderson, Wise and Pods.

I don't think he'll make a move here although I don't understand why Edmonds wouldn't be an excellent 4th OFer. His OPS last year was .822 and he did play CF.

Lofton hasn't played since 2007 and turns 42 next month so I wouldn't entertain this idea. I hear that Edmonds has been working out hard.

asindc
04-30-2009, 09:26 AM

You really don't see any improvement in those areas from last year? The Sox are breaking in three new regulars, all of whom have improved the team's ability to run the bases and manufacture runs. It is not up to Go Go Sox quality (yet), but it is an improvement.

ChiSoxFan81
04-30-2009, 09:29 AM
I heard this morning that BA felt something in his first AB but stayed in the game. I hope he didn't make it worse.

soxinem1
04-30-2009, 09:56 AM

I agree. The win one, lose one pattern so far is the result of this.

But unlike last year, we have difficulty just getting the runners on consistently. And we still have too many 'three hits in an inning with one run scoring' scenarios.

But breaking in several new players will present that challenge even in veteran teams.

pdimas
04-30-2009, 10:20 AM
I don't think anything can be as ugly as that was.

Pablo Ozuna in left field.

thedudeabides
04-30-2009, 10:28 AM
Pablo Ozuna in left field.

Andy Gonzalez anywhere.

Mohoney
05-01-2009, 02:11 AM
I hear that Edmonds has been working out hard.

They test for that stuff now, so I don't see how Edmonds can help.

Tragg
05-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Re the subject of the thread, how long is he expected out?

Chicken Dinner
05-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Re the subject of the thread, how long is he expected out?

At least 15 days.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20090501&content_id=4510794&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

downstairs
05-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Anderson isn't even on the DL yet. Its not like he broke a bone or anything. He's not going to be out months or the entire season.

The Sox will just have to suck it up for a few games. So what, we're weak at CF and our CF has an ouchie.

Bringing in Pods or anyone for a few games as a patch-up isn't the end of the world.

Pods will probably play 10 games, no errors, hit .230, and it won't have much of an effect on anything.