PDA

View Full Version : Yovani Gallardo Does It All vs. Pirates

VeeckAsInWreck
04-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Pitches 8 innings of 2 hit shutout ball. K's 11 and hits a solo shot that accounted for the only run of the game. Brew crew wins 1-0.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore?gid=290429108

VenturaFan23
04-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Too bad my fantasy league doesn't count pitcher HR's, but still I'm happy. Great one man show. :bandance:

ComiskeyBrewer
04-29-2009, 03:44 PM
This is his 2nd Hr of the year, each being the deciding run and occuring late in both games. Yo is a great player to watch.

palehozenychicty
04-30-2009, 12:17 AM
Brilliant showing by Yovani.

BleacherBandit
04-30-2009, 12:23 AM
They've got a good rotation on paper. Now if only Parra and Bush could make starts like this from time to time. Their offense has awesome firepower, the Brewers could be the real deal if they could get their pieces together.

ChiSoxFan81
04-30-2009, 09:20 AM
He's only the 3rd pitcher to hit a HR in a 1-0 game where he struck out 10+ batters. The last one was Early Wynn on the '59 Sox.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-30-2009, 10:28 AM
He's only the 3rd pitcher to hit a HR in a 1-0 game where he struck out 10+ batters. The last one was Early Wynn on the '59 Sox.

Wow! Thanks for that info. I didn't think that something like this was all that common.

TDog
04-30-2009, 12:22 PM

Gallardo didn't pitch a complete game, though, so he doesn't get credit for the shutout. I would guess Wynn pitched a complete game.

But, of course, Rick Wise hit two home runs while pitching a no-hitter (with no relief help, of course). He might have been the second pitcher to do that, but if he was, the name of the first escapes me, it being before my time.

In August of 1972 (I think -- it could have been 1971 -- the game wasn't televised because the Sox didn't televise West Coast games in those days), Wilbur Wood, who was not at all a good hitting pitcher, got a late-inning two-out single (I think it was in the seventh inning in Anaheim, maybe Oakland) to drive in the only run in a 1-0 White Sox. There were two outs with a runner (Buddy Bradford running for Ed Herrmann?) on second in a scoreless game. The Angels (or A's) walked Luis Alvarado intentionally to get to the weak-hitting pitcher, probably to get him out of the game and bring in Rich Gossage or Terry Forster who weren't as tough to hit. Chuck Tanner had to make the choice of taking out Wood, who was on that night, or leaving him in the game. As it turns out, Wood won the game with an unexpected hit after pitching three more shutout innings. Of course, Wood got the complete game shutout. But I think he only struck out six. Honestly, I'm too lazy to look it up considering I'm on the road and I'm not even sure of the year (but I don't believe Bradford was with the Sox in 1971).

Of course, it wasn't a home run. Certainly there weren't as many strikeouts. My memories of it come only from Harry Caray's radio call. But it's a great memory, complete with visuals that I invented.