PDA

View Full Version : Today(April 29)26th Anniversary of....

Grobber33
04-29-2009, 09:34 AM
Lee Elia's meltdown....AND PRINT IT.
Yes,I'm still using the same microphone and among those expressing interest in it is Paul Konerko. He and A.J. sometimes play the tirade in the Sox Clubhouse before games to get fired up!

This is not as big as last year(Silver Anniversary),but I can't believe it's been 26 years.

I have the full story at www.grobber.com (http://www.grobber.com) on the home page.
Anyone wanting to hear the tirade can easily go you youtube.

ChiSoxGirl
04-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Yes,I'm still using the same microphone and among those expressing interest in it is Paul Konerko. He and A.J. sometimes play the tirade in the Sox Clubhouse before games to get fired up!

This is not as big as last year(Silver Anniversary),but I can't believe it's been 26 years.

I have the full story at www.grobber.com (http://www.grobber.com) on the home page.

:rolling: That's awesome!

My dad finds Elia's rant to be the funniest thing he's ever read/heard, so I'll have to show this to him. I'm sure he'll go find the transcript of the rant online.

TommyJohn
04-29-2009, 09:53 AM

Stop living in the past, Grobber. Move on in life.

Grobber33
04-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Stop living in the past, Grobber. Move on in life.

Won't you still be living the dream of 2005 years from now?
Even Elia now admits that this tirade was funny years later.He raises money for prostate Cancer research. Deal with it.

Hitmen77
04-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Even Elia now admits that this tirade was funny years later.He raises money for prostate Cancer research. Deal with it.

I'm guessing that you don't know what teal text means on this site. :peace:

LoveYourSuit
04-29-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm guessing that you don't know what teal text means on this site. :peace:

oooops.

Craig Grebeck
04-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Please, for the love of all things holy, hit the space bar after a period. It hurts my eyes.

I'm pretty saddened that A.J. and Paulie listen to it, but whatever. It's pretty played out.

Viva Medias B's
04-29-2009, 10:36 AM

Les, teal text is sarcastic. What the poster was really saying is the opposite.

TommyJohn
04-29-2009, 11:15 AM

I was being sarcastic, Les. I was poking fun at a frequent jab that Cub fans throw our way in regards to 2005-"quit living in the past."

PaleHoser
04-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Here's the perfect Lee Elia rant commemorative gift (http://www.leeunplugged.com) for your favorite Cub fan.

Noneck
04-29-2009, 01:16 PM
This is the Gettysburg Address of managers tirades. Thank you Les for getting the audio, this will be remembered for century's to come.

TDog
04-29-2009, 01:43 PM
More importantly, it is the anniversary of the birth of Hall of Fame shortstop Luis Ernesto Aparicio.

Grobber33
04-29-2009, 02:38 PM
More importantly, it is the anniversary of the birth of Hall of Fame shortstop Luis Ernesto Aparicio.

Looie was the best SS I have even seen and he and Nellie the best keystone combo. And I've seen some great SS's such as Ozzie Smith and Robbie Alomar, but Little Looie was the best.

SOXfnNlansing
04-29-2009, 02:42 PM
That tirade will never get old. Thanks Les.

SoxGirl4Life
04-29-2009, 07:40 PM
This is the Gettysburg Address of managers tirades. Thank you Les for getting the audio, this will be remembered for century's to come.

A pen made out of wrigley seats for $159.00?? :kukoo:

Bucky F. Dent
04-29-2009, 09:38 PM
My favorite part of the whole thing. IT'S APRIL!!!!

You've got 140 games left to play, and this guy is completely off the tracks!

Brian26
04-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Looie was the best SS I have even seen and he and Nellie the best keystone combo. And I've seen some great SS's such as Ozzie Smith and Robbie Alomar, but Little Looie was the best.

Of his 2379 career major league games, Robbie Alomar played a total of five at the shortstop position.

Maybe Les meant to say Ivan DeJesus.

Woofer
04-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Man, I listened to a version on Youtube that wasn't bleeped out. I don't think I ever heard it uncensored. It's not for the faint of heart. It is a classic piece of Chicago baseball history, pure gold.:smile:

TornLabrum
04-29-2009, 11:09 PM
I have a link to the uncensored version myself. Time to use it. We're all so very fortunate that Grobber was at the right place at the right time!

Railsplitter
04-30-2009, 10:51 AM
The amazing thing qwas the fact Grobber, the Heald guy and the two downtown papers were the only ones who were there. All the TV, including channel 9, were at the visiting clubhouse.

Gammons Peter
04-30-2009, 12:23 PM
That rant makes a beautiful wordle "word cloud"
http://www.wordle.net/

Smokey Burg
04-30-2009, 02:39 PM
When you consider the state of the cubs at that time can you blame him for such a tirade? In the ten years preceding 1983 the cubs had only one season where they finished .500. During the last game of 1982 (or 1981) IIRC they lost to the Mets due to a dropped third strike in the ninth inning, thus finishing in last place, behind the Mets. The only way the cubs would get 3000 people in the seats was after they opened the gates at the end of the 7th inning and then they were just getting the drunks from the nearby bars. The only reason to go to a cubs game was for an excuse to get out of doing yard work. They had so many guys that were playing out of position or were just washed up and should not be playing at all. At the end of 1982 Elia knew that they needed to upgrade, but cub management added such big name players as Scott Sanderson and Richie Hebner. By April 29th Elia figured out that Fergie Jenkins couldn't pitch past the 3rd inning anymore, Hebner was a post at 3rd base, Sanderson was going to miss every other start, Bump Wills was never going to be a major league ball player, and Moreland could barely throw the ball back to the pitcher much less throw somebody out stealing 2nd base. And those were his "big time" players. The only position players he could count on IIRC were Buckner, Bowa, Durham and Sandberg hadn't developed yet. The only reliable pitcher he had was Steve Trout.

When it is considered that he asked cub management for help all winter long and they end up giving him possibly one of the worst collections of has been's and never were's to ever take the field in a major league contest, then such a tirade is quite possible. Actually, I'm somewhat surprised he only launched into a tirade, the way things were going for him I wouldn't have blamed him if he took out a shotgun and blasted some of the players, fans and cubs management.

russ99
04-30-2009, 03:00 PM
My favorite part of the whole thing. IT'S APRIL!!!!

You've got 140 games left to play, and this guy is completely off the tracks!

That and most of what he's saying still applies to this day! :D:

russ99
04-30-2009, 03:11 PM
That rant makes a beautiful wordle "word cloud"
http://www.wordle.net/

Oh my, yes that is quite amazing. :D:

:gulp: