PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Bad Pitching, Bad Hitting, Bad Game 4/28 Gm 2 Postgame thread

Sockinchisox
04-28-2009, 10:53 PM
Bad game all around really.

Frater Perdurabo
04-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Walkerball lives!

Thank goodness for Paulie and Bartolo today, otherwise things would have been even uglier.

Rdy2PlayBall
04-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Good job by Konerko and Fields though. They didn't look terrible.

JB98
04-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Well, when you score only three runs on eight hits in a doubleheader, a split is actually a very good result.

It's real hard to stomach these inept efforts. I feel bad for the fans who went out there tonight.

ChiSoxGirl
04-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Well, when you score only three runs on eight hits in a doubleheader, a split is actually a very good result.

It's real hard to stomach these inept efforts. I feel bad for the fans who went out there tonight.

So do I. Not only were they treated to spectacular White Sox baseball, they dealt with game time temperatures in the 30s for both games... at the end of April! :angry:

LoveYourSuit
04-28-2009, 10:57 PM
Quenting Batting Avg dropping like my 401K, but still hitting the ball hard.

I think Paulie needs to move up in the order, he's the only guy producing with RISP.

But Danks did crap the bed in such a huge premier pitching matchup.

Last thing, did Broadway come up here with a Roundtrip air ticket?

WhiteSox5187
04-28-2009, 10:58 PM

After Danks gave up five most started going to watch the Bulls anyways. Lousy effort. Something needs to change in this offense because we are just brutal. This doesnt have to do much with tonight because sometimes you get blown out, but we've already been shut out four times this year and had five hits today in two games and are just BRUTAL with runners in scoring position. I don't know if this is the fault of the hitters or the coaching or if maybe guys are just pitching better to us, but something needs to change.

JB98
04-28-2009, 10:58 PM
So do I. Not only were they treated to spectacular White Sox baseball, they dealt with game time temperatures in the 30s for both games... at the end of April! :angry:

I went to a 14-0 loss last week. 9-1 with nothing to cheer for until the ninth really isn't much better.

WhiteSox1989
04-28-2009, 10:59 PM
I am actually just going to ignore this game all together.

It seems that the Sox win with whacky line ups..or when the Corkaroo is playing.

Any word on Getz?

ChiSoxGirl
04-28-2009, 10:59 PM
I went to a 14-0 loss last week. 9-1 with nothing to cheer for until the ninth really isn't much better.

A 14-0 loss is just brutal. I'm sorry you and all the others who went that night had to sit through that awful night of "baseball."

Blueprint1
04-28-2009, 11:01 PM
I believe that is five games where we have scored 1 or less runs in a loss. Three of these games we scored zero runs. Something is wrong with our approach.

JB98
04-28-2009, 11:03 PM
I am actually just going to ignore this game all together.

It seems that the Sox win with whacky line ups..or when the Corkaroo is playing.

Any word on Getz?

Cowley reports that Getz took some swings today. He wants to play, but Ozzie is going to hold him out through this Seattle series. The off day on Thursday will give him an extra day of rest, and he hopefully will be back in there Friday at Texas.

palehozenychicty
04-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Well, we got a game out of it. That's all you can ask for.

SoxBears34
04-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Is the first game considered winning ugly, because the last game was difinatelly losing ugly!!!!

Sockinchisox
04-28-2009, 11:05 PM
I was at both games, the first was fun because of how fast it flew by and we won.

The 3 losses I've been to this year have been 9-1, 14-0, and 12-5.

I am really getting sick of seeing blowouts :(:.

kevingrt
04-28-2009, 11:08 PM
At least the Bulls kept me from watching maybe 2 minutes of this crapfest.

DirtySox
04-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Fire Walker!

Am I doing it right?

SoxGirl4Life
04-28-2009, 11:16 PM
Fire Walker!

Am I doing it right?

lol.. Perfect

Frater Perdurabo
04-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Fire Walker!

Am I doing it right?

I wish Kenny and Ozzie would figure out how to do it right.

palehozenychicty
04-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Fire Walker!

Am I doing it right?

No. It needs to be in a sig. :redneck

mccoydp
04-28-2009, 11:19 PM
* Sigh * No consistency from these guys. They're playing like a .500 team! :redneck

Win the series tomorrow, fellas.

Marqhead
04-28-2009, 11:20 PM
Glad I slept through this one. Get em tomorrow!

AnkleSox
04-28-2009, 11:22 PM
In 20 games, 91 runs scored, 95 runs against. The numbers are skewed by blowouts, but the Sox have been on the wrong end of too many blowouts this early in the season. Something needs to change if they want to be more than a .500 team.

That being said, no reason to panic this early. We know the Sox offense falters in crappy weather.

Woofer
04-28-2009, 11:29 PM
A 14-0 loss is just brutal. I'm sorry you and all the others who went that night had to sit through that awful night of "baseball."

I was there Friday. Then we got killed on Sunday. And then tonight, another smackdown. This team is not right, and it is a team effort. It's going to be a long season.

drewcifer
04-28-2009, 11:33 PM
I believe that is five games where we have scored 1 or less runs in a loss. Three of these games we scored zero runs. Something is wrong with our approach.

I'll bet 3 were pitchers we haven't seen before... I can think of 2 including tonight without even looking it up.

White Sox hitting prep.... nothing changed.

palehozenychicty
04-28-2009, 11:34 PM
In a way, we're what I thought we'd be. A team that can be spectacular on both levels. Good and bad.

JB98
04-28-2009, 11:37 PM
I was there Friday. Then we got killed on Sunday. And then tonight, another smackdown. This team is not right, and it is a team effort. It's going to be a long season.

Detroit and Kansas City got the **** beat out of them tonight, too.

Every club in our division has been wildly inconsistent. I think we'll be in the race.

drewcifer
04-28-2009, 11:41 PM

Every club in our division has been wildly inconsistent. I think we'll be in the race.

The Yankees scored 10 runs against the Kitties in 1 inning??? I had that split screen for awhile... wow. That game was a duel.

Missed all that.

JB98
04-28-2009, 11:43 PM
The Yankees scored 10 runs against the Kitties in 1 inning??? I had that split screen for awhile... wow. That game was a duel.

Missed all that.

Nate Robertson and Brandon Lyon are pretty bad.

skobabe8
04-28-2009, 11:43 PM
The 3 losses I've been to this year have been 9-1, 14-0, and 12-5.

I am really getting sick of seeing blowouts :(:.

I'm with ya, brotha. So far I'm 0-3. Outscored by a combined score of 35-6! :o::o:

At least you have seen a win.

Woofer
04-28-2009, 11:44 PM

We might be in the race, but blowout games like we've had so far this year do not bode well. I know that they can get it together, I just don't see it happening yet.

DrCrawdad
04-28-2009, 11:44 PM
When the Sox lose, they do it with style.

nedlug
04-28-2009, 11:45 PM
Troubling trend of wild inconsistency. I hope they pull out of this tendency to have stinkers next to good games.

JB98
04-28-2009, 11:47 PM
We might be in the race, but blowout games like we've had so far this year do not bode well. I know that they can get it together, I just don't see it happening yet.

Well, when starters get knocked out early, we're going to get our asses kicked. The front end of our bullpen is atrocious.

And we all know how this offense is. They'll get hot eventually, but probably not until June.

If we were in a tough division, we might have a problem. But our competitors have major issues as well.

drewcifer
04-28-2009, 11:47 PM

We hit like ****. Still. And there is little evidence of reliable "small ball" run manufacturing.

Pitching is better than Twins, Indians. Worse than Royals. Detroit pitches like we hit, so no comment there.

JB98
04-28-2009, 11:51 PM
We hit like ****. Still. And there is little evidence of reliable "small ball" run manufacturing.

Pitching is better than Twins, Indians. Worse than Royals. Detroit pitches like we hit, so no comment there.

I don't think our pitching is worse than the Royals. Greinke is pitching out of his mind, but they have nothing special besides him. Especially with Soria having an achy shoulder.

Woofer
04-28-2009, 11:55 PM
85-88 wins will probably win the Central this year. KC, Min, Det, Cle and the Sox will probably all go 9-9 against each other. I just don't see anyone being too successful this year.

Thatguyoverthere
04-28-2009, 11:56 PM
It seems that most of our wins this year have been blowouts, and the same with our losses. It's maddening to watch. Danks was due for a bad start, but the offense needs to be more inconsistent. The front end of our bullpen blows.

drewcifer
04-29-2009, 12:01 AM
I don't think our pitching is worse than the Royals. Greinke is pitching out of his mind, but they have nothing special besides him. Especially with Soria having an achy shoulder.

Well, you should look at some stats. That's silly. They are a MUCH better pitching team than us, they destroy us (and most of the AL aside from Toronto) in every valuable measurement.

Soria... I can't even believe you mention him.

Woofer
04-29-2009, 12:02 AM
Part of the problem has been the starting pitching. Now that Danks has joined the rest of the starters with a bad outing tonight, they've all had some games that got out of hand early. I want to see the offense come to life when the starter is struggling. At least keep the game competitive. So far, it looks like the team goes into corpseball mode and gives up.

ramblinsoxfan11
04-29-2009, 12:16 AM
Ughh that was ugly, I was hoping we could rely on Danks to be our go to pitcher this year. Well that was an awful game, at least we went 1-1 today... It's still early, Lillibridge, Betemit, Fields and Owens are still adjusting, they just better hurry up...

drewcifer
04-29-2009, 12:17 AM
Part of the problem has been the starting pitching. Now that Danks has joined the rest of the starters with a bad outing tonight, they've all had some games that got out of hand early. I want to see the offense come to life when the starter is struggling. At least keep the game competitive. So far, it looks like the team goes into corpseball mode and gives up.

Agreed. Cleveland has done that twice.... from the bottom of the standings (vs Yankees and tonight vs Red Sox, both that I watched). We haven't done it even once, so far. I've seen destroy or fold out of our guys.

doublem23
04-29-2009, 12:50 AM
Fire Walker!

Am I doing it right?

No, the past 3 years of below average offense just isn't enough to evaluate his job performance yet.

JB98
04-29-2009, 01:24 AM
Well, you should look at some stats. That's silly. They are a MUCH better pitching team than us, they destroy us (and most of the AL aside from Toronto) in every valuable measurement.

Soria... I can't even believe you mention him.

You're absolutely full of ****ing bull****.

Grienke is off to an unbelievable start. Who else do they have?

Meche? He's no better than Buerhle or Danks. Davies? Only good against the Sox. Ponson? LOL. Bannister? He's fools gold. Farnsworth? LOL. Mahay? LOL. Ramirez? LOL.

Enlighten us, friend. After Grienke, who do the Royals have?

Grienke has only given up one or two runs total in four starts. He's the reason Kansas City's team stats look so great. After that, they are mediocre.

WhiteSox5187
04-29-2009, 01:46 AM
You're absolutely full of ****ing bull****.

Grienke is off to an unbelievable start. Who else do they have?

Meche? He's no better than Buerhle or Danks. Davies? Only good against the Sox. Ponson? LOL. Bannister? He's fools gold. Farnsworth? LOL. Mahay? LOL. Ramirez? LOL.

Enlighten us, friend. After Grienke, who do the Royals have?

Grienke has only given up one or two runs total in four starts. He's the reason Kansas City's team stats look so great. After that, they are mediocre.

To be fair, Meche and Davies are fairly good starters, throw them in with Grienke and you have a solid 1-2-3 but it gets shaky after that. But we have a solid 1-2-3 and our 4-5 are better than theirs; their number one is better than our number one. Really all of these teams match up very evenly. 85 wins could win the division.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-29-2009, 01:51 AM
Just got back from that sorry mess of a game. My first game was Crede's return and getting blown out by the Twins, second one tonight. Yuck!

Watching Fields play 3rd is painful. :(:

oeo
04-29-2009, 02:58 AM
As someone who was optimistic about this team going into the season, count me as disappointed and completely unimpressed to this point. I feel like the bats will come around, but these pitching blow ups are happening more times than not...this is ****ing ridiculous: 19 hits to the Mariners?? Our starters are not eating up innings, and that's not good when there's only three trustworthy guys in the bullpen. Ugh. Please blow up, Ozzie...we need something to get going.

Shoeless_Jeff
04-29-2009, 03:06 AM
That game was beyond terrible. To make it worse, there was some d-bag by where I was sitting in the bleachers wearing Cubs gear cheering everytime the Mariners got a run.

I don't want to be a pessimist, but the Sox are proving themselves to be only a .500 team. A lot of people around here seem to be satisfied with that because "the other teams in the central have problems, too." That's not my attitude. I want utter dominance and believe that the White Sox are an organization that is capable of dominance.

Noneck
04-29-2009, 07:55 AM
I want utter dominance and believe that the White Sox are an organization that is capable of dominance.

How is this organization currently capable of dominance?

kittle42
04-29-2009, 08:19 AM
I don't want to be a pessimist, but the Sox are proving themselves to be only a .500 team. A lot of people around here seem to be satisfied with that because "the other teams in the central have problems, too." That's not my attitude. I want utter dominance and believe that the White Sox are an organization that is capable of dominance.

It was this same attitude that pissed me off during the offseason - the whole "KW has still put us in a position to *contend within the division.* **** that.

Viva Medias B's
04-29-2009, 08:37 AM
I would like us to be better than 10-10 at this point. What Sox fan wouldn't? There are definitely things going on that have to not continue occurring if we are to win this division. However, I have a feeling things will come around better when the weather gets warmer. The rest of our division isn't exactly knocking the league dead either.

TomBradley72
04-29-2009, 10:25 AM
We still have the same chronic problems on offense:

#10 in AL runs scored
#13 doubles
# 8 HRs
#10 RBIs
#4- strike outs
#8 stolen bases
#14 in sacrifice flies
#12 in sacrificce hits
We strike out alot, we don't really play small ball...I don't blame Walker or Ozzie....it's the make up of the team...KW owns the quality of the roster.

Craig Grebeck
04-29-2009, 10:26 AM
We still have the same chronic problems on offense:

#10 in AL runs scored
#13 doubles
# 8 HRs
#10 RBIs
#4- strike outs
#8 stolen bases
#14 in sacrifice flies
#12 in sacrificce hits
We strike out alot, we don't really play small ball...I don't blame Walker or Ozzie....it's the make up of the team...KW owns the quality of the roster.
Our struggles have nothing to do with our inability to play small ball, but rather our inability to play long ball. This team is built to hit home runs, as it should be, and the players have not done their jobs to this point.

downstairs
04-29-2009, 10:39 AM
All in all, and I hate to say this, but we look like a .500 team. Nothing horrible, certainly nothing great. For every good thing that happens in a game, an equally bad thing happens.

I'm calling 81-81 on this season.

It's Dankerific
04-29-2009, 10:44 AM
Our team is built for the summer months. The goal should be, be close through the chilly weather, build a big lead in the summertime and then finish in the fall. Unfortunately, that doesn't leave me hopeful about our chances in fall baseball. But, at least by then, hopefully some of the players have locked-in.

Alexei4president
04-29-2009, 11:21 AM
i went to the first game and all i hAVE to say is thank goodness for colon and paulie....and that second game was just brutal

slavko
04-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Our team is built for the summer months. The goal should be, be close through the chilly weather, build a big lead in the summertime and then finish in the fall. Unfortunately, that doesn't leave me hopeful about our chances in fall baseball. But, at least by then, hopefully some of the players have locked-in.

Solution:Sign more Youpers. Wool uniforms. Thermal undies. Heated bases. Nice sensible hats with earmuffs instead of those flimsy baseball caps. Problem solved. Unless it's just as cold for the other team, too.

Broadway does center the ball nicely over the plate, though. Easy to do with no movement to speak of.

It's Dankerific
04-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Solution:Sign more Youpers. Wool uniforms. Thermal undies. Heated bases. Nice sensible hats with earmuffs instead of those flimsy baseball caps. Problem solved. Unless it's just as cold for the other team, too.

Broadway does center the ball nicely over the plate, though. Easy to do with no movement to speak of.

I'm not debating its just as cold for the other team. I am often times more warm and wear less clothes than my peers. That doesn't mean its warmer outside for me than it is for them.

DeuceUnit
04-29-2009, 11:52 AM
The amount of times this team has been blown out is alarming this early in the season. They have to realise that being down 4-0 or 6-0 in the 4th or 5th inning doesn't mean the game is over. Plenty of teams come back from those deficits all the time. It seems once we are down by 4 or more runs our bullpen just implodes and out hitters sit down 1,2,3. This team is missing that edge. They are a very average team right now, but I do believe with a certain spark they could be a really good team. I'm not sure whether they need a new relief pitcher or position player or maybe just an attitude adjustment from the coaching staff but something is missing at this time.

Nellie_Fox
04-29-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm not sure whether they need a new relief pitcher or position player or maybe just an attitude adjustment from the coaching staff but something is missing at this time.How about a brawl with the Tigers? :tongue:

Shoeless_Jeff
04-29-2009, 12:21 PM
How is this organization currently capable of dominance?

They AREN'T CURRENTLY capable of dominance. The White Sox are a big market, money spending team, but the offense has been literally hit and miss for two years? It's not like I want the Sox to become the Yankees or something, but it would be nice to see teams actually fear playing the White Sox and not have them get completely blown out when they lose.

Jurr
04-29-2009, 12:23 PM
The amount of times this team has been blown out is alarming this early in the season. They have to realise that being down 4-0 or 6-0 in the 4th or 5th inning doesn't mean the game is over. Plenty of teams come back from those deficits all the time. It seems once we are down by 4 or more runs our bullpen just implodes and out hitters sit down 1,2,3. This team is missing that edge. They are a very average team right now, but I do believe with a certain spark they could be a really good team. I'm not sure whether they need a new relief pitcher or position player or maybe just an attitude adjustment from the coaching staff but something is missing at this time.
Well, Felix was pitching. Remember that baseball is a game of relaxation as far as hitting is concerned. Focus helps, but "spark" and "intensity" aren't going to help a lineup figure out a good pitcher. Typically, teams and players that get amped up for a game end up overswinging and making the problem worse.

palehozenychicty
04-29-2009, 12:34 PM
They AREN'T CURRENTLY capable of dominance. The White Sox are a big market, money spending team, but the offense has been literally hit and miss for two years? It's not like I want the Sox to become the Yankees or something, but it would be nice to see teams actually fear playing the White Sox and not have them get completely blown out when they lose.

Actually, I would love for them to get that level of respect. They're slowly building it with the World Series win, Obama's manlove, and a postseason appearance.

palehozenychicty
04-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Well, Felix was pitching. Remember that baseball is a game of relaxation as far as hitting is concerned. Focus helps, but "spark" and "intensity" aren't going to help a lineup figure out a good pitcher. Typically, teams and players that get amped up for a game end up overswinging and making the problem worse.

Thank you. Doubleheaders are difficult to sweep anyway.

DeuceUnit
04-29-2009, 02:04 PM
I know Felix was pitching. Doesn't mean we have to give up a whole bunch of runs. Felix also wasn't pitching the other blowouts. I know it's hard to sweep a double header but this team still is missing that spark where they don't give up. Our bullpen also has to do a better job of keeping us in games even though we are only down by 4 or 5 runs. I'm not saying this is a bad team but they have a lot more potential and I hope it they live up to that sooner than later.