PDA

View Full Version : Dexter Fowler

manders_01
04-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Damn! This kid may be this year's TCM. He stole 5 bases in tonight's game. :mg: I was worried that he may be a strike out king but he may just prove me wrong. He's looked pretty good behind the plate, pretty good in CF. Still striking out trying to hit for the fences but not as bad as I thought he might be. I can see why they gave him the job instead of Scotty P. He's going to be fun to watch this season. :thumbsup:

DSpivack
04-27-2009, 11:23 PM
Damn! This kid may be this year's TCM. He stole 5 bases in tonight's game. :mg: I was worried that he may be a strike out king but he may just prove me wrong. He's looked pretty good behind the plate, pretty good in CF. Still striking out trying to hit for the fences but not as bad as I thought he might be. I can see why they gave him the job instead of Scotty P. He's going to be fun to watch this season. :thumbsup:

Wow.

pythons007
04-28-2009, 02:42 PM

When I saw "Dexter Fowler" as a thread title, I figured it was a "Let's trade these garbage players for Fowler to lead off and play CF" thread. I'm so glad I was wrong.

Yeah, he had 4 SB in the first 3 innings. Yes, first 3 innings, thats not a typo!

BleacherBandit
04-28-2009, 02:53 PM
He's got one of the best names in the game, too.

DirtySox
04-28-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm real high on Fowler. Have been following him for a while. He will be a premier CF someday.

RockyMtnSoxFan
04-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Yeah, he's awesome. And I like how he turns singles and doubles from the other team into outs. He still needs a little work (see the three straight swinging strikes in the late innings last night), but he's going to be good. I could see him in the Granderson/Beltran category.

Dibbs
04-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Yeah, he's awesome. And I like how he turns singles and doubles from the other team into outs. He still needs a little work (see the three straight swinging strikes in the late innings last night), but he's going to be good. I could see him in the Granderson/Beltran category.

Those are two very different categories. This Fowler kid does look good though.

Craig Grebeck
04-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Those are two very different categories. This Fowler kid does look good though.
How so? They're both amazingly good center fielders.

JohnTucker0814
04-28-2009, 03:58 PM

Maybe Fowler can be like them on defense but he won't be even close on offense to Beltran or Granderson. Fowler has never hit more than 9 HR's in the minors and although he stole 40+ bases in 2006 he's only stole 20 bases the last 2 years, so he's a great young ballplayer, but I just don't see the major upside that compares him to Carlos Beltran!

Craig Grebeck
04-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Maybe Fowler can be like them on defense but he won't be even close on offense to Beltran or Granderson. Fowler has never hit more than 9 HR's in the minors and although he stole 40+ bases in 2006 he's only stole 20 bases the last 2 years, so he's a great young ballplayer, but I just don't see the major upside that compares him to Carlos Beltran!
You may want to have a look at Beltran's career minor league numbers. He wasn't a surefire star.

Also, I was questioning why the original poster said that there was a significant difference between Granderson and Beltran.

JohnTucker0814
04-28-2009, 06:39 PM
You may want to have a look at Beltran's career minor league numbers. He wasn't a surefire star.

Also, I was questioning why the original poster said that there was a significant difference between Granderson and Beltran.

Beltran:

at 19 between 3 stops and 70 games had 7 HR
at 20 at A Advanced in 120 games had 11 HR
at 21 between A Adv and AA in 99 games had 19 HR

I'd say Beltran progressed a lot better than Fowler has shown during those ages...

I'm not trying to knock Fowler, he's a great talent, but don't compare him to a guy like Beltran...

Dibbs
04-28-2009, 06:49 PM

Yeah, but one has a chance at the hall of fame.

RockyMtnSoxFan
04-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Beltran:

at 19 between 3 stops and 70 games had 7 HR
at 20 at A Advanced in 120 games had 11 HR
at 21 between A Adv and AA in 99 games had 19 HR

I'd say Beltran progressed a lot better than Fowler has shown during those ages...

I'm not trying to knock Fowler, he's a great talent, but don't compare him to a guy like Beltran...

Yeah, you've got a point. Fowler doesn't seem to have quite the power Beltran has. But he does have the ability to be one of the top center fielders in the league. And keep in mind that he is going to add power; he's only been a switch hitter for a few years, and he weighs 175 at 6'4" so he still has muscle to add.

Billy Ashley
05-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Carlos Beltran had one of the most dominant half seasons ever for a 21 year old at AA. Dexter Fowler is a great prospect- but to claim that Beltran wasn't an elite prospect is revisionism.

They have similarities- Both have been fairly young for their leagues (though Beltran did more at a younger age), both projected to hit for power because of their frame while also having the potential to be elite fielders.

If Fowler's Preston Wilson, he'd be a success. If he's Beltran (and I very much doubt he is), he'd be the best prospect in baseball aside from Wieters.