PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Fan @ Chase Field

Viva Medias B's
04-27-2009, 10:07 PM
While channel surfing between the 1st and 2nd periods of the Hawks game, I watched a little bit of the Cubs vs. Diamondbacks at Chase Field. An Arizona batter hit a home run to left center to tie the game at 1, and the ball was retrieved by what looked like a preteen Cub fan. And, of course, guess what he did. I hope Chase Field security threw him out.

WhiteSox1989
04-27-2009, 10:09 PM
It's just stupid. I would be embarrassed if a Sox fan did that.

ChiSoxFan81
04-27-2009, 10:14 PM
:rolleyes:

I thought they could do that at "Wrigley West"

JermaineDye05
04-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Throwing back homerun balls is the dumbest thing.

Nothing can top the stupidity of that Twins fan who threw back Griffey's HR, that kid has got to be kicking himself. A future hall of famer and you toss the ball back? :scratch:

DSpivack
04-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Not a shocking occurrence in Chicago's westernmost suburb.

WS in 05
04-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Saw that too. How many stadiums kick you out for doing that?

manders_01
04-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Saw that too. How many stadiums kick you out for doing that?

I know for a fact you get kicked out at Coors Field. I throughly enjoyed seeing the tool who threw a ball back sitting a row in front of me get kicked out last season. :thumbsup:

soxfan21
04-27-2009, 11:12 PM
This does not really surprise me one bit.

RadioheadRocks
04-28-2009, 01:00 AM
"monkey see, monkey do"

white sox bill
04-28-2009, 06:23 AM
A once in a lifetime thing...they throw it away. If one of these "fans" had the winning lottery tix, would they throw it in the trash??

southside rocks
04-28-2009, 06:35 AM
While channel surfing between the 1st and 2nd periods of the Hawks game, I watched a little bit of the Cubs vs. Diamondbacks at Chase Field. An Arizona batter hit a home run to left center to tie the game at 1, and the ball was retrieved by what looked like a preteen Cub fan. And, of course, guess what he did. I hope Chase Field security threw him out.

I don't know if you had the sound on, but Brenley and Kasper were very appreciative of that little booger's action. Seriously. I was kind of incredulous -- but apparently the "throw it back" crap is an official Cubbie-fan thing to do and even the announcers applaud it.

Sad
04-28-2009, 09:14 AM
I don't know if you had the sound on, but Brenley and Kasper were very appreciative of that little booger's action. Seriously. I was kind of incredulous -- but apparently the "throw it back" crap is an official Cubbie-fan thing to do and even the announcers applaud it.

yeah I heard Brenley say something to the effect of "teach em young" or something :rolleyes:
that is the most idiotic tradition ever (right up there with flinging octupi onto the ice :redneck)

doublem23
04-28-2009, 09:24 AM
yeah I heard Brenley say something to the effect of "teach em young" or something :rolleyes:
that is the most idiotic tradition ever (right up there with flinging octupi onto the ice :redneck)

At least that is a celebration of winning, unlike "throwing 'em back," which is a way to find joy in being beaten.. for 100+ years.

I want Mags back
04-28-2009, 10:11 AM
A once in a lifetime thing...they throw it away. If one of these "fans" had the winning lottery tix, would they throw it in the trash??

except a winning lotto ticket is worth millions of dollars and a baseball is worth $5. Sorry, but its a crap comparison.

AZChiSoxFan
04-28-2009, 10:27 AM
except a winning lotto ticket is worth millions of dollars and a baseball is worth $5. Sorry, but its a crap comparison.

Yes, you're probably right. However, I was at a game at Chase Field a few years ago and a rookie player for the opposing team hit his first ever major league homerun. The dumb fan at Chase threw it back on the field. I was laughing at the guy, knowing that this rookie ballplayer would have offered a wide array of jerseys, bats, balls, etc. to get that ball back. I realize it's not millions of dollars, but it's better than nothing.

Iwritecode
04-28-2009, 10:37 AM

Scratch-offs can be worth $5 and yes, I've found a few winners that people have thrown away.

SOXPHILE
04-28-2009, 10:40 AM
I saw that pudgy little turd on the highlights last night. It looked like his friends, or brother and sister tried to stop him too.

Huisj
04-28-2009, 10:52 AM
I've never understood throwing back homerun balls. Homers are part of the game. They happen. They aren't an insult to the other team or to the fans. They are just part of the game. Throwing a ball back is like trying to deny that the homer just happened. That just seems totally stupid.

doublem23
04-28-2009, 11:05 AM

Having never caught a ball at a game before, it would be worth a million bucks to me.

:shrug:

southside rocks
04-28-2009, 12:07 PM
I've never understood throwing back homerun balls. Homers are part of the game. They happen. They aren't an insult to the other team or to the fans. They are just part of the game. Throwing a ball back is like trying to deny that the homer just happened. That just seems totally stupid.

It's a homerun hit by a major-league baseball player, which is something that nobody in the stands (I'm pretty sure) can ever accomplish. It's disrespecting the game to throw the ball back, and it shows ignorance and immaturity.

As countless others have said: if YOU don't want the ball, give it to someone who does, plenty of fans will gladly take it and appreciate it.

It's that kind of enshrined idiocy that gives Cubs fans the national rep that they have: a bunch of losers who don't know how to behave any other way.

ComiskeyBrewer
04-28-2009, 12:39 PM
As countless others have said: if YOU don't want the ball, give it to someone who does, plenty of fans will gladly take it and appreciate it.

Bingo. Give it to a small kid who will treasure that moment forever.

white sox bill
04-28-2009, 01:59 PM

For a historic HR?? Like Barry's, tainted as it was? The point is its a once in a lifetime thing for most. And they pee it away. Sorry my comparison stands:smile: And yes I think cub fans would pitch a tix worth big bucks

guillensdisciple
04-28-2009, 02:12 PM
How many times do we have to go to through this discussion before coming to the same conclusion?

MarySwiss
04-28-2009, 02:23 PM
I didn't see the incident, but Chase Field does have signs posted that anyone caught throwing items onto the playing field will be ejected.

scarsofthumper
04-28-2009, 05:15 PM
If Cubs fans didn't have the tradition of throwing the ball back, the movie "Rookie of the Year" would have zero plot structure.

Viva Medias B's
04-29-2009, 08:09 AM
If Cubs fans didn't have the tradition of throwing the ball back, the movie "Rookie of the Year" would have zero plot structure.

Now that's POTW material right there.

Meanwhile, I have seen people at our own ballpark get ejected for throwing away visiting team home run balls. Every time the other team homers to left, I see about 50-60 idiots motioning the fan who caught the ball to throw it back. And when he or she does, Sox Security shows up within five minutes. I say that Gene Honda should specifically instruct fans in the outfield that we do not do this here. And whenever a ball comes onto the field, the outfielders should be instructed by Ozzie to (lightly) toss it right back into the stands.

Marqhead
04-29-2009, 08:25 AM

I second VMB. Well played.

WizardsofOzzie
04-30-2009, 09:23 AM
For a historic HR?? Like Barry's, tainted as it was? The point is its a once in a lifetime thing for most. And they pee it away. Sorry my comparison stands:smile: And yes I think cub fans would pitch a tix worth big bucks
Now that would have been interesting if Bonds would have hit that HR at Wrigley. Cubbie fans would have an awful dilemma ahead of them. You know there would be boneheads in the stands cheering for them to throw it back despite the ball being worth thousands of dollars.

ChiSoxFan81
04-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Now that would have been interesting if Bonds would have hit that HR at Wrigley. Cubbie fans would have an awful dilemma ahead of them. You know there would be boneheads in the stands cheering for them to throw it back despite the ball being worth thousands of dollars.

I remember when this was being discussed. All the meatheads were calling into sports radio and saying they'd throw it back.

AZChiSoxFan
04-30-2009, 12:14 PM
I remember when this was being discussed. All the meatheads were calling into sports radio and saying they'd throw it back.

I thought it was common knowledge that most "fans" in the bleachers at the urinal carry little league baseballs into the game with them. That way if they do get a HR ball courtesy of the visiting team, they can keep it and throw the little league ball onto the field.

eriqjaffe
04-30-2009, 12:18 PM
I thought it was common knowledge that most "fans" in the bleachers at the urinal carry little league baseballs into the game with them. That way if they do get a HR ball courtesy of the visiting team, they can keep it and throw the little league ball onto the field.Such practice was shown on national TV during one of the cross-town games, wasn't it?

doublem23
04-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Such practice was shown on national TV during one of the cross-town games, wasn't it?

I don't know if it was a cross-town game, but it definitely happened during a FOX Saturday national broadcast. Guy caught a HR and he CLEARLY pulled a ball out of his pocket, threw the double and kept the real thing.

I forget who was calling that game, but they were stunned to see a "Wrigley tradition" was a sham.

PatK
04-30-2009, 01:09 PM
I don't know if it was a cross-town game, but it definitely happened during a FOX Saturday national broadcast. Guy caught a HR and he CLEARLY pulled a ball out of his pocket, threw the double and kept the real thing.

I forget who was calling that game, but they were stunned to see a "Wrigley tradition" was a sham.

I thought that is how the "Wrigley Tradition" started- the original "bleacher bums" would have a ball they either brought to the game or caught during batting practice, and they'd throw that back.