PDA

View Full Version : Who has the best chance of staying in contention?

PKalltheway
04-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Ok, so we're coming up on the end of April, and, as usual, we have a few suprise teams. Which one of these teams, if any, has the best chance of staying in contention?

EDIT: Aw, shucks. I didn't see that I posted this in the clubhouse. Mods, please move this.:redface:

Rdy2PlayBall
04-27-2009, 08:43 PM
KC. :(:

Still though, I think the Sox should be included in the surprise team and will pull off this division. :D:

Frater Perdurabo
04-27-2009, 08:43 PM
The Royals have a chance, only because the AL is completely stacked and the AL Central is filled with five decent teams who will all beat up on one another.

The Pirates have a chance, only because the NL is terrible and the NL Central is filled with a bunch of crappy teams who will all beat up on one another.

85 wins could win both Central divisions this year, for completely different reasons.

PKalltheway
04-27-2009, 08:52 PM
I picked the Marlins. Even though they are in a funk right now, this was a team that was able to stay in contention through most of last year, and with their starters (sans Scott Olsen) a year older, and with a year of more experience, I think they will pressure the Mets and Phils, and possibly take a playoff spot from them.

Marqhead
04-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Marlins.

They have the pitching and a versatile offense. The Mets and Phils will be tough, but they both have their flaws.

Marlins have the best rotation in that division IMO.

palehozenychicty
04-27-2009, 08:54 PM
I picked the Marlins. Even though they are in a funk right now, this was a team that was able to stay in contention through most of last year, and with their starters (sans Scott Olsen) a year older, and with a year of more experience, I think they will pressure the Mets and Phils, and possibly take a playoff spot from them.

What he said. I think out of all those teams, they have the best starting rotation. If the Royals bring up Hochevar, then they may be as good as there is in baseball. But their offense right now isn't good enough to last.

SoxGirl4Life
04-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Really having a hard time picking one from this list. I can make arguments for KC, Seattle, Toronto (although their pitching injuries might make keeping up with Boston tough). I watched a Pirates/SD game over the weekend and Pittsburgh looked pretty good! The Marlins might have a chance only because I think that division is going to be in shambles. Really, I can't pick who has the best chance out of all those teams. We need another choice on the poll! :tongue:

october23sp
04-27-2009, 09:54 PM
I chose the Royals but the Marlins will win the world series. 1997. 2003. 2009?

Eddo144
04-27-2009, 10:29 PM
I voted Toronto, because they're probably the best team of those listed, regardless of division.

Boondock Saint
04-27-2009, 11:04 PM
I voted for Cincy. They have some quality pitchers and good young players. Not only that, but the NL central seems to be a little goofy right now.

guillensdisciple
04-27-2009, 11:28 PM
I chose the Royals but the Marlins will win the world series. 1997. 2003. 2009?

Correction, White Sox will win the world series.

WhiteSox5187
04-28-2009, 12:51 AM
I choose Toronto cuz I think they have the pitching, but I am really really rooting for Pittsburgh.

soxpride724
04-28-2009, 10:53 AM
I selected other, as I believe St. Louis will hang around.

thedudeabides
04-28-2009, 11:01 AM
I picked the Marlins. I think they have the best starting pitching in the division. Same goes for Kansas City, but I think their offense and bullpen will wear them down.

SoxGirl4Life
04-28-2009, 12:13 PM
I went with the Blue Jays even with their injuries. Leading that division even this early is saying something.

RockyMtnSoxFan
04-28-2009, 03:27 PM
I picked the Royals because I think they have the best combination of good pitching, some young players with potential for improvement, and a winnable division.

That said, I still think the White Sox beat them.

WhiteSoxJunkie
04-29-2009, 07:53 PM
The Marlins have a great rotation, and the Blue Jays have a great offense. But the Marlins are in a more winnable division, so I can see them hanging on.

NLaloosh
04-30-2009, 08:48 AM
I voted for Florida.

K.C. is a nice story but their lineup isn't good enough and the back end of their rotation is a joke that will catch up with them.

If Greinke doesn't give up an earned run all year then they have a chance.

ChiSoxFan81
04-30-2009, 09:40 AM
I voted for Florida.

K.C. is a nice story but their lineup isn't good enough and the back end of their rotation is a joke that will catch up with them.

If Greinke doesn't give up an earned run all year then they have a chance.

Then their chances ended last night.

Madscout
04-30-2009, 08:02 PM
I voted for the Buccos. They have a pretty good rotation this year, young talent in the field, and they are in the NL Central so anything could happen. Also, I am in Pittsburgh and want it to happen.

4 points
05-03-2009, 04:25 AM
I went with Toronto, Rays have a bulls-eye on their back, and the Yankees are overrated.:gulp:

SOXSINCE'70
05-04-2009, 05:47 PM
I went with the Blue Jays,with the Royals bringing up the rear.

You can't bet against Roy Halliday,and the fact that the Jays are
60 or more games oevr .500 since Cito Gaston came back speaks
volumes on their on field play.

Can the pitching hold up??

In the words of the narrator on the old
"Batman" television series:

"For the answer to these and many other questions,
tune in tomorrow.Same Bat Time,Same Bat Channel".