PDA

View Full Version : Chris Jakubaskas?

jabrch
04-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Who?

doublem23
04-27-2009, 10:24 AM
Who?

A guy who, about 11 hours from now, will have just wrapped up tossing 7.1 innings of scoreless baseball.

The Milkman
04-27-2009, 10:27 AM
That's exactly who he is.

goofymsfan
04-27-2009, 10:37 AM
He's a rookie who was out of baseball for a while, then bounced around the independent leagues for a while. He pitched for the Tacoma Rainiers last season and did decent. He started the year in the M's bullpen, but when Ryan Rowland-Smith went on the DL he slipped into the starting role. His first start he pitched well and easily could have had a win. His second start was extremely shaky. I know White Sox fans are hoping for a start more like his second start, however as an M's fan, I'm hoping for a start more like his first start.

Here is one article on him. (http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090409&content_id=4187580&vkey=news_sea&fext=.jsp&c_id=sea)

And another (http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090323&content_id=4056028&vkey=news_sea&fext=.jsp&c_id=sea)

ChiSoxFan81
04-27-2009, 10:44 AM
If Danks wasn't pitching, I'd say we have no chance.

SoxGirl4Life
04-27-2009, 11:04 AM
I have a good feeling about this one! I say we break form and get to this guy early and often. If the rain holds off. If its a question due to weather, I don't want to waste Danks' start, but that's about all that could stop him.

Foulke You
04-27-2009, 11:58 AM
He's a rookie who was out of baseball for a while, then bounced around the independent leagues for a while. He pitched for the Tacoma Rainiers last season and did decent. He started the year in the M's bullpen, but when Ryan Rowland-Smith went on the DL he slipped into the starting role. His first start he pitched well and easily could have had a win. His second start was extremely shaky. I know White Sox fans are hoping for a start more like his second start, however as an M's fan, I'm hoping for a start more like his first start.

Here is one article on him. (http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090409&content_id=4187580&vkey=news_sea&fext=.jsp&c_id=sea)

And another (http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090323&content_id=4056028&vkey=news_sea&fext=.jsp&c_id=sea)
Thanks for the M's scouting report goofy. How has Junior looked at the plate this year?

jabrch
04-27-2009, 12:40 PM
A guy who, about 11 hours from now, will have just wrapped up tossing 7.1 innings of scoreless baseball.

That's exactly who he is.

If Danks wasn't pitching, I'd say we have no chance.

You guys are so cute...

doublem23
04-27-2009, 12:51 PM
You guys are so cute...

Did you not expect those responses when you posed the question?

12.2 IP, 7.11 ERA in his career. Looks like a Sox killer. :dunno:

04-27-2009, 12:57 PM
The wind is going to be likely ripping out to left field. We are going to own this guy. If the game happens tonight.

NLaloosh
04-27-2009, 01:00 PM
1-0 Sox.

jabrch
04-27-2009, 01:09 PM

I ABSOLUTELY did expect them. :-)

johnnyg83
04-27-2009, 01:39 PM
If this cat shuts us down, I'll begin to believe.

goofymsfan
04-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the M's scouting report goofy. How has Junior looked at the plate this year?

He's looked so so. He's hit a couple of homers and even laid down a bunt.

TDog
04-27-2009, 05:07 PM
... I know White Sox fans are hoping for a start more like his second start, however as an M's fan, I'm hoping for a start more like his first start. ...

He pitched well in his first start and it wasn't against the White Sox? That simply doesn't seem a possible thing for a no-name pitcher to do.

goofymsfan
04-27-2009, 05:26 PM
He pitched well in his first start and it wasn't against the White Sox? That simply doesn't seem a possible thing for a no-name pitcher to do.

For me he's not a no-namer as I watched him most of last year at AAA Tacoma. :wink:

TDog
04-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Probably 38 percent of the pitchers in the American League are no-namers at WSI.

doublem23
04-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Probably 38 percent of the pitchers in the American League are no-namers at WSI.

I'm sorry we all don't have the same vast wealth of knowledge as you, TDog.

captainclutch24
04-27-2009, 06:26 PM
That sadly will be the truth

Definite Sox killer

TDog
04-27-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm sorry we all don't have the same vast wealth of knowledge as you, TDog.

Or goofymsfan.

goofymsfan
04-27-2009, 10:05 PM
Or goofymsfan.

Don't drag me into this. He is only not a no-name pitcher for me because I am familiar with the M's farm system. There are a good deal of unfamiliar pitchers for other teams who have their AAA system in the International league.

TDog
04-28-2009, 12:54 AM
Don't drag me into this. He is only not a no-name pitcher for me because I am familiar with the M's farm system. There are a good deal of unfamiliar pitchers for other teams who have their AAA system in the International league.

My apologies. You just seemed to be paying attention and deserving of credit. I just think it's odd that at WSI, where there is an entire forum dedicated to fans complaining about how Cubs fans don't know anything about baseball, so many of the posters have heard of so few of the pitchers and assume that anyone with an ERA a run-and-a-half lower than Justin Verlander must be a lousy pitcher who has no business retiring White Sox hitters.

I think it was in June 1993 when I was sitting behind third base in Anaheim when George Bell hit a first-inning grand slam off Russ Springer to get the Sox out to a 5-0 lead (the White Sox did a lot of winning in Anaheim in the 1990s). The man sitting next to me suggested to no one in particularly that it might be a slugfest on that sunkissed Sunday afternoon. Probably noting my cap and scorebook, he asked me who was pitching for the White Sox. When I told him it was Wilson Alvarez, he answered, "never hoid of him."

I pointed out that Alvarez pitched a no-hitter in 1991. Of course, the Orioles had never seen him before.

doublem23
04-28-2009, 01:02 AM
My apologies. You just seemed to be paying attention and deserving of credit. I just think it's odd that at WSI, where there is an entire forum dedicated to fans complaining about how Cubs fans don't know anything about baseball, so many of the posters have heard of so few of the pitchers and assume that anyone with an ERA a run-and-a-half lower than Justin Verlander must be a lousy pitcher who has no business retiring White Sox hitters.

Do you not understand the concept of something being said half-jokingly?

SoxandtheCityTee
04-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the link, goofyms. It answered my real question, which was what happened to the second U in his last name? :D: South Siders see enough Lithuanian names to know! Looks like he pitches the opener today, so he gets Colon instead of Danks. We shall see . . .

jabrch
04-28-2009, 09:50 AM

and 44% of all statistics are made up.

ChiSoxFan81
04-28-2009, 09:53 AM

60% of the time, they're right every time.

TDog
04-28-2009, 12:10 PM

It could be more like 52 percent if you include my half-joking "38 percent" statistic. Strictly speaking, I don't know if I was half-joking. It might have been closer to 48 percent joking.

GoSox2K3
04-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Ha ha ha!!! You guys on WSI are so cute and ignorant with your myth that unaccomplished pitchers with high ERAs often shutdown the Sox. The Sox got 2 hits today - wrong again!

* of course this poor outing by our offense (except for PK) somehow doesn't "count" in terms of the concern over Sox hitters making pitchers with high ERAs look like Cy Young.

munchman33
04-28-2009, 08:46 PM
i just think it's odd that at wsi, where there is an entire forum dedicated to fans complaining about how cubs fans don't know anything about baseball, so many of the posters have heard of so few of the pitchers and assume that anyone with an era a run-and-a-half lower than justin verlander must be a lousy pitcher who has no business retiring white sox hitters.

+1