PDA

View Full Version : Getz: Fractured Finger!!

SoxGirl4Life
04-26-2009, 12:17 PM
:gah:

But he's day to day (all per Rongey)

Noneck
04-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Which hand is it?

SoxGirl4Life
04-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Which hand is it?

Throwing hand.. so his right

Rdy2PlayBall
04-26-2009, 12:25 PM
I heard he'll be back Monday.

Madscout
04-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Hope he doesn't rush back. We all know how it was with PK last year. I know he is fightin for a job and doesn't want to lose his edge, but he has been doing well when healthy and I don't want that to change because he is worried about losing his place.

Dick Allen
04-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Didn't hear Rongey, so can't say for sure, but how could he be back tomorrow with a fractured finger, especially on his throwing hand??!!? How do you grip a bat?

Sockinchisox
04-26-2009, 12:39 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/04/white-soxs-chris-getz-has-fractured-finger-dl-possible.html

kravdog
04-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Nix time?

DirtySox
04-26-2009, 12:40 PM
He is having trouble gripping a bat and throwing. Possibly going on the DL.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/04/white-soxs-chris-getz-has-fractured-finger-dl-possible.html

LITTLE NELL
04-26-2009, 12:47 PM
What a bummer. He's was about to become my favorite player.

roylestillman
04-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Melton on the pregame sounded doubtful that he can come back in 4-5 days.

Hello Mr. Lillibridge.

sunofgold
04-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Hello Beckham

JermaineDye05
04-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Hello Beckham

Possible, but I think they'll give Nix a shot first.

35th and Shields
04-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Anyone know how he fractured it in the first place?

Soxaredabest
04-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Anyone know how he fractured it in the first place?

Infield practice during pregame on Friday. I think they were practicing double plays. He played with it on Friday, but he said it was just too uncomfortable on Saturday.

ramblinsoxfan11
04-26-2009, 03:57 PM
That's a shame, he was becoming a great 2nd baseman and he was hitting. Hopefully he can come back 100% in a week or so, otherwise bring up Nix I guess

chisoxfanatic
04-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Yea, Hawk said something about this during the broadcast today. It's too bad it's on his throwing hand, or he might've been able to play sooner. Hope he isn't out too much longer, but still isn't rushed to play.

Speedy recovery, Getz!

nasox
04-26-2009, 04:26 PM

BleacherBandit
04-26-2009, 04:35 PM
How is Beckham doing so far?

Not that I want him up in our lineup yet, but it's always good to know.

I'm enjoying watching Lillibridge play instead of him for the meantime.

sox1970
04-26-2009, 04:44 PM
How is Beckham doing so far?

Not that I want him up in our lineup yet, but it's always good to know.

I'm enjoying watching Lillibridge play instead of him for the meantime.

Beckham is at .297 at AA. He'll be there all year.

JermaineDye05
04-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Beckham is at .297 at AA. He'll be there all year.

What are you referring to? The .297 or AA or perhaps both?

I think chances are good that we'll see him as a September call-up.

sox1970
04-26-2009, 04:49 PM
What are you referring to? The .297 or AA or perhaps both?

I think chances are good that we'll see him as a September call-up.

He'll be at Birmingham for the full season. Maybe when their season ends, he'll come up. Birmingham has a good team. I'd like to see those guys play together all year--Shelby, Beckham, Flowers, Allen, and Viciedo. No need to rush them.

JB98
04-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Getz has been playing well. It sucks that he's hurt. If he goes on the DL, I think they have to call up Nix. As excited as we all are about Beckham, I'm not interested in rushing him to the big leagues.

Frater Perdurabo
04-26-2009, 07:51 PM
He'll be at Birmingham for the full season. Maybe when their season ends, he'll come up. Birmingham has a good team. I'd like to see those guys play together all year--Shelby, Beckham, Flowers, Allen, and Viciedo. No need to rush them.

Getz has been playing well. It sucks that he's hurt. If he goes on the DL, I think they have to call up Nix. As excited as we all are about Beckham, I'm not interested in rushing him to the big leagues.

I agree with both these statements. I'd like to see the kids at Birmingham play together for a year and hopefully develop some winning habits and positive chemistry.

I think Nix is the better option for the backup IF role right now.

Daver
04-26-2009, 07:54 PM
As excited as we all are about Beckham, I'm not interested in rushing him to the big leagues.

Why not?

It worked so well with Brian Anderson, Mike Caruso, Mark Johnson, Kip Wells, Jon Rauch, and Matt Guerrier.

Frater Perdurabo
04-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Why not?

It worked so well with Brian Anderson, Mike Caruso, Mark Johnson, Kip Wells, Jon Rauch, and Matt Guerrier.

Hey Daver, a few sincere questions, since I respect your opinion and want to know what you think:

If you were KW, what would you do with Beckham? What development plan would you lay out for him? When would you want to see him on the Sox, and at what position, in the context of who the Sox have now and likely will have during the next few years (Alexei)?

JB98
04-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Why not?

Well, hopefully the Sox have learned from the error of their ways in the past. We all know that minor-league development has been a weakness for the organization. The big-league club pays a price for that on a yearly basis, unfortunately.

Frater Perdurabo
04-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Well, hopefully the Sox have learned from the error of their ways in the past. We all know that minor-league development has been a weakness for the organization. The big-league club pays a price for that on a yearly basis, unfortunately.

I think they've got a good group of position players playing together at Birmingham. I could see those guys being a young nucleus not unlike the Maggs, Lee, Konerko nucleus on the 2000 team.

ChiSoxGirl
04-26-2009, 08:36 PM

I definitely agree! We've seen the "Let's Rush Guys Up to the Majors" movie too many times and know how it ends. As someone else said, Mike Caruso, Matt Guerrier, Mark Johnson, Kip Wells, etc. are all good examples of stars of said movie.

Daver
04-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Hey Daver, a few sincere questions, since I respect your opinion and want to know what you think:

If you were KW, what would you do with Beckham? What development plan would you lay out for him? When would you want to see him on the Sox, and at what position, in the context of who the Sox have now and likely will have during the next few years (Alexei)?

If you can play SS by default you can be serviceable at any infield position, I would play him at all positions and look to trade Chris Getz, but trading Gordon is also a possibility, he may be a position player that can demand pitching in return.

JB98
04-26-2009, 08:45 PM
I think they've got a good group of position players playing together at Birmingham. I could see those guys being a young nucleus not unlike the Maggs, Lee, Konerko nucleus on the 2000 team.

There is a lot of good talent at Birmingham. Then, little Danks is down there at Winston-Salem. Hopefully, three or four of those guys pan out. KW is good at the buy-low, under-the-radar pickups, but it would just be so much easier for the whole organization if they started developing some of their own talent.

The inability of this organization to develop talent is a big reason why we have a major weakness at the front end of our bullpen this year. We seriously can't find anybody to pitch the sixth inning when a starter has a bad day? That's one of my pet peeves.

DumpJerry
04-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Have people forgotten that once Nix is done with his current rehab assignment, he has to be on the 25 man roster or else he is DFA? He has no options left.

Frater Perdurabo
04-26-2009, 09:07 PM
There is a lot of good talent at Birmingham. Then, little Danks is down there at Winston-Salem. Hopefully, three or four of those guys pan out. KW is good at the buy-low, under-the-radar pickups, but it would just be so much easier for the whole organization if they started developing some of their own talent.

The inability of this organization to develop talent is a big reason why we have a major weakness at the front end of our bullpen this year. We seriously can't find anybody to pitch the sixth inning when a starter has a bad day? That's one of my pet peeves.

Great post. I agree. It would have been nice if the Sox could have had a reliever to keep the Jays from scoring in the 8th inning today. :(:

Frater Perdurabo
04-26-2009, 09:08 PM
If you can play SS by default you can be serviceable at any infield position, I would play him at all positions and look to trade Chris Getz, but trading Gordon is also a possibility, he may be a position player that can demand pitching in return.

One other question, Daver: What do you think of Josh Fields' defense this year?

JB98
04-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Great post. I agree. It would have been nice if the Sox could have had a reliever to keep the Jays from scoring in the 8th inning today. :(:

Yeah, but I'm willing to chalk that up as just a bad day for Linebrink. That was the first run he gave up this year, and it came at a bad time for the Sox.

The Jays are hot right now. I'm glad they're leaving town.

BleacherBandit
04-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Is Getz going to be put on the 15-Day DL? I wouldn't think so with this injury. In that case, Nix shouldn't be called up.

JB98
04-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Is Getz going to be put on the 15-Day DL? I wouldn't think so with this injury. In that case, Nix shouldn't be called up.

My understanding is no decision has been made yet. We're speculating that Nix would be the guy if Getz does have to go on the DL. Hopefully, Getz is OK and returns to the lineup soon. He has surprised me with his good play these first three weeks.

Daver
04-26-2009, 09:24 PM
One other question, Daver: What do you think of Josh Fields' defense this year?

Compared to what?

I have a much different opinion on defense at most positions than what is the so-called accepted norm.

Frater Perdurabo
04-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Compared to what?

I have a much different opinion on defense at most positions than what is the so-called accepted norm.

Is he as bad as you expected? Or has he improved, even a little bit? I know your opinion is different and that's why I'm asking you.

UofCSoxFan
04-26-2009, 11:43 PM
FWIW,

Reading about how Getz injured his finger and what the injury actually is (a fracture to the tip), this injury seems very similar to an injury I had in college after taking a bad hop grounder off my finger. I was able to finish the game but as the finger swelled I wasn't able to fully grip a bat the following day.

All in all I missed 10 days or so, so I would think Getz will be ready to go once his 15 day DL stint is done.

oeo
04-26-2009, 11:55 PM

Well, one of the major problems is that we've had too many of those 'bad days.' Everyone's front end of the bullpen will be exposed if it's used too often. We need to start seeing some more innings by our starters.

Nellie_Fox
04-26-2009, 11:56 PM
I know you didn't ask me, but I'm not impressed with Fields' defense. He seems to have a very slow reaction to the ball off the bat; by the time he's starting to move, it's already by him.

WhiteSox5187
04-27-2009, 12:20 AM
FWIW,

Reading about how Getz injured his finger and what the injury actually is (a fracture to the tip), this injury seems very similar to an injury I had in college after taking a bad hop grounder off my finger. I was able to finish the game but as the finger swelled I wasn't able to fully grip a bat the following day.

All in all I missed 10 days or so, so I would think Getz will be ready to go once his 15 day DL stint is done.
Ironically I have this now but it is to my index finger on my throwing hand. I am still able to throw the ball - but i grip it kind of like a change up, gripping the bat is near impossible and like you said, it is worse today than it was yesterday when I fractured it. I am hoping to be ready to play by this weekend and hopefully so is Getz. The thing is, even with my injury there isn't much of a difference in my play because I suck with or without a good index finger!

beasly213
04-27-2009, 11:33 AM
This looks like one of those nagging injuries. I would just put him on the DL so he comes back healthy and ready to go.

EDIT* Ozzie on Waddle and Silvy now said Getz may play tonight.

SoxGirl4Life
04-27-2009, 11:37 AM
My 12 yr old nephew broke the tip of his finger this weekend playing baseball too. He's feeling a kinship with Getz. Its kinda funny.

Frater Perdurabo
04-27-2009, 07:31 PM
I know you didn't ask me, but I'm not impressed with Fields' defense. He seems to have a very slow reaction to the ball off the bat; by the time he's starting to move, it's already by him.

I am glad you replied because I respect your opinion, too. :smile:

Daver
04-27-2009, 08:37 PM
Is he as bad as you expected? Or has he improved, even a little bit? I know your opinion is different and that's why I'm asking you.

Improved is a relative statement, you can be improved and still be bad.

Josh Fields is a mediocre third baseman, at best, he will probably never be more than a mediocre third baseman.

Frater Perdurabo
04-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Improved is a relative statement, you can be improved and still be bad.

Josh Fields is a mediocre third baseman, at best, he will probably never be more than a mediocre third baseman.

If Getz plays well at second, and when Paulie's contract expires, could you see Fields moving to first with Beckham at third and Alexei at SS?

Rdy2PlayBall
04-27-2009, 09:09 PM
If Getz plays well at second, and when Paulie's contract expires, could you see Fields moving to first with Beckham at third and Alexei at SS?I doubt it. The move from SS to second is already too big for Beckham. :rolleyes:

Craig Grebeck
04-27-2009, 09:16 PM
If Getz plays well at second, and when Paulie's contract expires, could you see Fields moving to first with Beckham at third and Alexei at SS?
Fields' offense is not nearly good enough to justify a move to first base. Also, I'd hope Brandon Allen can step in by then.

JohnTucker0814
04-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Fields' offense is not nearly good enough to justify a move to first base. Also, I'd hope Brandon Allen can step in by then.

I'm actually loving the fact the White Sox are going to be in a world of hurt if Allen and Beckham continue to produce... you'll be looking at Beckham next year for sure and if Getz continues to play like he has, you can't bench him... then the following year during Paulies last year on his contract, do you move him to DH and put Allen at 1B? Nice problems to have! I project that Alexei will eventually move to CF, making Konerko/Allen, Getz, Beckham, Fields as your infield! I love it!

Another thing to think of is if Jordan Danks continues to rope the ball, he'll be ready to take over in CF in a few years, which would be at the end of Alexei's contract... I really like the Sox system right now!

Rdy2PlayBall
04-27-2009, 09:25 PM
I'm actually loving the fact the White Sox are going to be in a world of hurt if Allen and Beckham continue to produce... you'll be looking at Beckham next year for sure and if Getz continues to play like he has, you can't bench him... then the following year during Paulies last year on his contract, do you move him to DH and put Allen at 1B? Nice problems to have! I project that Alexei will eventually move to CF, making Konerko/Allen, Getz, Beckham, Fields as your infield! I love it!

Another thing to think of is if Jordan Danks continues to rope the ball, he'll be ready to take over in CF in a few years, which would be at the end of Alexei's contract... I really like the Sox system right now!You already want to get rid of Alexei? I like some of your optimism but you are being a very poor (Alexei) fan by giving up on Alexei and wanting a non-proven minorleaguer to take his spot. It's not like Alexei is an old fart, you want to keep someone like him for a while, not start counting the days until the end of his contract. :scratch:

Konerko05
04-28-2009, 12:38 AM
I doubt it. The move from SS to second is already too big for Beckham. :rolleyes:

What are you talking about?

doublem23
04-28-2009, 12:43 AM
You already want to get rid of Alexei? I like some of your optimism but you are being a very poor (Alexei) fan by giving up on Alexei and wanting a non-proven minorleaguer to take his spot. It's not like Alexei is an old fart, you want to keep someone like him for a while, not start counting the days until the end of his contract. :scratch:

That's not at all what he said, he was just happy that when Alexei's contract does come to an end, the Sox will hopefully have guys ready and waiting to take over for him.

DonnieDarko
04-28-2009, 02:08 AM
What are you talking about?

It's not for sure that he has the arm needed for SS, or so I've heard. Alexei is better in that regard, and if he gets hot during the later spring and summer, then it'll be hard to justify not keeping him...especially if he stays consistent in that regard.

Will the Sox pay for him if he wants to cash in? Who knows. And what about Viciedo? Have him replace Fields at 3B, or Quentin at LF (while moving him to RF)? What's the potential of Poreda, who I think I remember hearing he's being stretched out into a starting role, now? Will Richard ever pan out? Getz or Beckham for 2B?

If there's one thing that I like about the White Sox's farm system, it's that they've got a lot of questions with some potentially very good answers. :D:

cws05champ
04-28-2009, 08:04 AM
You already want to get rid of Alexei? I like some of your optimism but you are being a very poor (Alexei) fan by giving up on Alexei and wanting a non-proven minorleaguer to take his spot. It's not like Alexei is an old fart, you want to keep someone like him for a while, not start counting the days until the end of his contract. :scratch:

The White Sox have a 3-5 year board on what their team may look like down the line. That's all JT was doing was speculating if Alexei were to command too much $ then we'd have a young CF ready to take over in 3 years. I'd love to take a look at KW's 3-5 year board.

JohnTucker0814
04-28-2009, 08:08 AM
That's not at all what he said, he was just happy that when Alexei's contract does come to an end, the Sox will hopefully have guys ready and waiting to take over for him.

The White Sox have a 3-5 year board on what their team may look like down the line. That's all JT was doing was speculating if Alexei were to command too much $ then we'd have a young CF ready to take over in 3 years. I'd love to take a look at KW's 3-5 year board.

Thanks guys... I am a huge Alexei fan, however in the past we have NEVER had a plan to replace players when the contract was up. We didn't have a plan to replace Konerko so we had to do everything we could to keep him. We didn't have a good plan to replace Ventura... that's all I was getting at. It looks like KW has got a great plan to replace talent when the contract comes up. If we sign a player then we have extra pieces to trade at the deadline, if the player walks, we plug in someone and continue to win the division! I'm not real optimistic about our pitching in the minors but our offense:

Beckham, Allen, Flowers, Danks, Shelby... I'm lovin' it!

thedudeabides
04-28-2009, 10:06 AM

Another thing to think of is if Jordan Danks continues to rope the ball, he'll be ready to take over in CF in a few years, which would be at the end of Alexei's contract... I really like the Sox system right now!

These are nice problems to have, and they generally have a way of working themselves out. Judging by Kenny's past I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of these players gets moved for pitching. Especially, if he thinks they have maxed out at any point. And don't forget about Viciedo. I know he's struggling early, but the Sox still have high hopes for his potential.

DonnieDarko
04-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks guys... I am a huge Alexei fan, however in the past we have NEVER had a plan to replace players when the contract was up. We didn't have a plan to replace Konerko so we had to do everything we could to keep him. We didn't have a good plan to replace Ventura... that's all I was getting at. It looks like KW has got a great plan to replace talent when the contract comes up. If we sign a player then we have extra pieces to trade at the deadline, if the player walks, we plug in someone and continue to win the division! I'm not real optimistic about our pitching in the minors but our offense:

Beckham, Allen, Flowers, Danks, Shelby... I'm lovin' it!

Makes me wonder. Who DO we have in the minors? Poreda? Marquez? Who the hell else are our pitching prospects? What happens after this year with Colon and Contreras and if they walk who replaces them?

DirtySox
04-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Aside from Poreda we don't have much depth in the higher levels. (AA, AAA)

We do have some intriguing prospects in the lower levels, but they aren't highly touted prospects. (yet) Infante, Hudson, and Carter in Kannapolis are ones to keep an eye on. We also have Upchurch and Santos Rodriguez to watch in rookie ball.

Gammons Peter
04-28-2009, 11:22 AM

You must mean that the rest of the league may be in a world of hurt

cburns
04-28-2009, 11:30 AM
I wonder how much of a factor keeping Jordan Danks in the system will be in getting an extension or resigning John Danks?

Jim Shorts
04-28-2009, 11:42 AM
I wonder how much of a factor keeping Jordan Danks in the system will be in getting an extension or resigning John Danks?

They drafted Jordan twice and they traded for John twice. I think Sox brass is pretty high on both Dank's brothers.

DonnieDarko
04-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Aside from Poreda we don't have much depth in the higher levels. (AA, AAA)

We do have some intriguing prospects in the lower levels, but they aren't highly touted prospects. (yet) Infante, Hudson, and Carter in Kannapolis are ones to keep an eye on. We also have Upchurch and Santos Rodriguez to watch in rookie ball.

But what are the Sox going to do for NEXT year, though?

DirtySox
04-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Free agency? Trade?

Hope Poreda has developed his secondary pitches so we can slot him into the rotation? (his slider, change, and curve)

There isn't much else from the farm I would want in the rotation.

DonnieDarko
04-28-2009, 03:02 PM
That would put three lefties in the rotation, though. Do the Sox want to do that? Somehow, I think that they're banking on Marquez. But what (decent or good) RHP are available for free agency after this season?

johnnyg83
04-28-2009, 03:04 PM
I hope they're not banking too hard on Marquez, his spring stuff looked below average toward the end there.

DirtySox
04-28-2009, 03:04 PM
I don't think it's a big deal to have 3 lefties in the rotation. No idea on the free agency front. Still too early for me to be concerned about that.

Also, Marquez hasn't looked good at all in Charlotte. He doesn't get many ground balls for a sinker pitcher.

jabrch
04-28-2009, 03:28 PM
They drafted Jordan twice and they traded for John twice. I think Sox brass is pretty high on both Dank's brothers.

? Not that I am aware of.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-28-2009, 03:36 PM

I noticed that too. Unless you're confusing John Danks for Gio Gonzalez. :scratch:

JohnTucker0814
04-28-2009, 03:37 PM

I noticed that too. Unless you're confusing John Danks for Gio Gonzalez. :scratch:

I'm completely guessing on this, but maybe the Sox Drafted John Danks and he chose to go to college, then we traded for John Danks... Then we drafted Jordan Danks, he chose to go to college and now we've drafted him again... just a guess!

Huisj
04-28-2009, 03:41 PM

And they didn't trade FOR him twice, they just traded him away twice. They only traded for him once.

On a side note, I see that he's got a 1.54 ERA through 3 starts at AAA.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-28-2009, 03:45 PM
And they didn't trade FOR him twice, they just traded him away twice. They only traded for him once.

On a side note, I see that he's got a 1.54 ERA through 3 starts at AAA.

Gio owns AAA. But if he ever matches that in the show, we'll never hear the end of it. :(:

UofCSoxFan
04-28-2009, 03:52 PM
I believe when they drafted Jordan the first time it was like in the 40th round...not a huge loss with him not signing then.