PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 4-25 Saturday night special strikes again; Sox tar & de-feather Jays 10-2

Frater Perdurabo
04-25-2009, 09:57 PM
:bandance:

Discuss it here. Not much to discuss, though.

Rdy2PlayBall
04-25-2009, 09:58 PM
There is always more to discuss when the Sox lose. A quite board just means there are a bunch of happy Sox fans!

:bandance: Alexei is a beast.

Frater Perdurabo
04-25-2009, 09:59 PM
Buehrle and BA with a nice games too.

DonnieDarko
04-25-2009, 10:00 PM
:bandance: Alexei is a beast.

No, no.

Alexei is BEAST.

central44
04-25-2009, 10:01 PM
One good thing about this team, is that the cold stretches aren't like they were last year. Last year the team would go into a major funk, and then get really hot and win 8 in a row to compensate. When this year's team gets pummeled, they come in the next day and pay it back. It's good to see. If only they wouldn't get pummeled in the first place...

soxinem1
04-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Well-played game after the worst-played game of the season.

And for all my friends in the 'Let Brian Anderson Play Everyday Club', two more hits and RBI!!!

Rdy2PlayBall
04-25-2009, 10:04 PM
No, no.

Alexei is BEAST.Haha. True.

Change your BA meter so that steals are less. Just cut it in half and add a runs score category. $2 for a steal is just stealing. (really, no pun intended, I can't think of another word xD)

DonnieDarko
04-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Haha. True.

Change your BA meter so that steals are less. Just cut it in half and add a runs score category. $2 for a steal is just stealing. (really, no pun intended, I can't think of another word xD)

...not a bad idea, actually.

johnnyg83
04-25-2009, 10:07 PM
great bounce back win ...

veeter
04-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Every time Buehrle takes the mound I cherish it. The guy was topping out at 84 mph tonight. All he does is compete and win. Despite what the moronic papers print, the Sox are just fine. How about before the game Dave Van Douche asking Ozzy, after two hits off a lefty the night before, if he's comfortable how Getz hangs in there against lefties. Do these writers watch the games? And if they do, why are they so dumb?

october23sp
04-25-2009, 10:27 PM
Nice win. Good to see we will bounce back after rough games. Don't wanna lose 5 in a row just cause you lost 14-0.

PeoriaSoxFan
04-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Nice win. Good to see we will bounce back after rough games. Don't wanna lose 5 in a row just cause you lost 14-0.
Sweet shirt, where do I get one?

Alexei is back, I hope. I worry about tomorrow...Contreras vs. Halladay? Vegas odds can't be in our favor on this one. He has to win one sooner or later, right?

LoveYourSuit
04-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Big win for us because they have a BUS on the mound tomorrow.

I think a scrappy lineup like tonight will fair better than stacking up with thumpers. Just my thought.

But I give Contreras ZERO chance tomorrow.

elrod
04-25-2009, 11:24 PM
Broadway was called up. I wonder if he goes in if JC falters again tomorrow.

Woofer
04-25-2009, 11:27 PM
Really hoping Contreras makes up for the last couple of outings tomorrow. Don't count us out yet, thats why we play the games.

russ99
04-25-2009, 11:39 PM
Great game in the brutal cold and wet weather.

And very nice play by Lillibridge to pull that one out of the air and save two runs and also a nice diving catch by Owens. Take that, haters.

NDSox12
04-26-2009, 12:05 AM
That's three straight weeks the Sox have followed up tough Friday losses with big Saturday wins.

soxfanatlanta
04-26-2009, 12:21 AM
Good game after yesterday's debacle - glad to see them not roll over.

I hope Jose can get a quality start tomorrow.

JB98
04-26-2009, 12:41 AM
Hopefully, Ramirez will get his game together now. That was a big hit, and it should give him confidence moving forward.

The Sox backup players are doing a pretty decent job when they get out there. Lillibridge threw some leather tonight, and Miller was on base in the middle of a couple rallies again.

SoxSpeed22
04-26-2009, 12:43 AM
There's our ace. Even though he had some trouble early, Buehrle really came through for us tonight. The prospect of going against a soft-tossing lefty that we haven't seen before scared me, but the Sox came through. Hopefully, we can get to Halladay tomorrow.

DonnieDarko
04-26-2009, 12:51 AM
Contreras against Halladay?

Call me a downer if you want, but I'm not very optimistic about our chances.

central44
04-26-2009, 01:11 AM
meh, Halladay isn't a soft-throwing no-name, so the Sox should have a chance.

DonnieDarko
04-26-2009, 01:16 AM
...he also happens to be one of the best pitchers in the league. Furthermore, we're putting on the mound a pitcher that has been having control problems like no other, and the Jays offense which was uncharacteristically shutdown tonight likely will tee off against Contreras.

Yeah, I think we're screwed. Then again, this IS baseball, and I've seen stranger things happen...

BleacherBandit
04-26-2009, 01:26 AM
I was at the game tonight, and you wouldn't believe the groans heard around the ballpark after we learned that Jerry Owens was taking over Getz's spot on the roster.

BUT HE HAD A CAREER NIGHT! 1 hit and a fantastic defensive play! :bandance:

Foulke You
04-26-2009, 01:32 AM
Great game in the brutal cold and wet weather.
That cold weather came out of nowhere. I got totally screwed by The Weather Channel today. The reports I read immediately before I left for the game was that it was supposed to rain but the cold wouldn't get here until after Midnight so I ended up not bringing my warm clothes and boy did I ever pay. I think it caught a lot of people off guard besides me. I talked to a guy next to me that also got hosed by the same Weather Channel report. The Sox made a ton of money tonight selling sweatshirts and hot chocolate. At $75 per sweatshirt in the giftshop, I opted to freeze for 3 hrs. but that didn't stop the masses from buying them up like candy. I ended up getting the free blanket by applying for a credit card.:cool: At least Alexei put a smile on my face with that Grand Salami. This was a very big win considering tomorrow's ominous pitching matchup.

Some thoughts on the game:

-I noticed the original lineup tonight on the scoreboard at the ballpark had Lillibridge in CF and Getz at 2B. Was there any reason for the last minute change? Did the TV broadcast mention something?

-There was a stat on the scoreboard that showed Alexei batted .481 last year with the bases loaded (with 5 Grand Slams as we know). He then proceeded to hit his 6th Grand Slam right after that was shown. It's a hell of a stat. Some guys don't hit 6 Slams in their entire careers and Alexei has done it 6 times in a little over one full season. Clutch!

Foulke You
04-26-2009, 01:36 AM
I was at the game tonight, and you wouldn't believe the groans heard around the ballpark after we learned that Jerry Owens was taking over Getz's spot on the roster.

I think one of the groans you heard was coming from my seat. :D: I won't beat the dead horse anymore but just say that I hope to not see him in the lineup again. He had a hell of a catch though! I'll give him that.

Foulke You
04-26-2009, 01:44 AM
Not sure if this was mentioned but I figure this thread is just as good as any to post this. After my wife and I started shaking our heads as we watched Marco Scutaro get yet another hit against us tonight, I decided to check for myself to see just how much of a Sox killer this man is. According to baseballreference.com, in 28 games against the beloved Pale Hose, Scutaro has hit .378 avg with an OPS of 1.067! :o: He definitely has a plaque in the "Inexplicable Sox Killer" Hall of Fame. I believe the Scutaro plaque is nestled between the busts of Joe Mays and Joe Randa.

Sam Spade
04-26-2009, 01:44 AM

Roster?

ChiSoxGirl
04-26-2009, 02:02 AM
That cold weather came out of nowhere. I got totally screwed by The Weather Channel today. The reports I read immediately before I left for the game was that it was supposed to rain but the cold wouldn't get here until after Midnight so I ended up not bringing my warm clothes and boy did I ever pay. I think it caught a lot of people off guard besides me. I talked to a guy next to me that also got hosed by the same Weather Channel report. The Sox made a ton of money tonight selling sweatshirts and hot chocolate. At $75 per sweatshirt in the giftshop, I opted to freeze for 3 hrs. but that didn't stop the masses from buying them up like candy. I ended up getting the free blanket by applying for a credit card.:cool: At least Alexei put a smile on my face with that Grand Salami. This was a very big win considering tomorrow's ominous pitching matchup.

It was absolutely miserable out there tonight. From the time I left my house to the time I got out of my car at the ballpark, it dropped like 30 degrees! Fortunately, I made the last-minute decision to wear jeans and gym shoes, rather than the shorts & flops I had on shortly before leaving. I also threw a hoodie in my bag right before leaving, never thinking I'd need it! My friend only had a Buehrle player tee and a rain coat, so she forked over $70 for a track jacket in the gift shop; she was not alone dropping heavy coin in the gift shop tonight, either!

We sat in our seats for the first two innings of the game and that was it. The rain came again and with the wind and cold, combined with not being dressed appropriately for the stupid cold weather, we bailed. I snagged a picnic table on the concourse near Sec. 110 and we watched the rest of the game on TV. I got a terrible cold two days after I got back from West Palm Beach and am pretty sick today, so I didn't think sitting out in the damp, cold weather with this cough would be too smart. Tonight was definitely the coldest I've been at the ballpark this season.

If there was anyone at the ballpark who was dressed appropriately tonight, I'd like to find them. I felt sorry for the people in shorts and flops- that had to be brutal! PLEASE let this be the last frigid night at the ballpark!

JB98
04-26-2009, 02:03 AM
Not sure if this was mentioned but I figure this thread is just as good as any to post this. After my wife and I started shaking our heads as we watched Marco Scutaro get yet another hit against us tonight, I decided to check for myself to see just how much of a Sox killer this man is. According to baseballreference.com, in 28 games against the beloved Pale Hose, Scutaro has hit .378 avg with an OPS of 1.067! :o: He definitely has a plaque in the "Inexplicable Sox Killer" Hall of Fame. I believe the Scutaro plaque is nestled between the busts of Joe Mays and Joe Randa.

He should have been brought up in the "Sox killers" thread we had going earlier. I don't know why I didn't think of him. I hate Scutaro with all my soul. Little ****er hits .240 against everybody else.

guillensdisciple
04-26-2009, 02:44 AM
Tomorrow feels like the kind of game the White Sox will pull out and win.

DonnieDarko
04-26-2009, 02:59 AM
Tomorrow feels like the kind of game the White Sox will pull out and win.

What gives you that feeling?

guillensdisciple
04-26-2009, 03:15 AM
What gives you that feeling?

Games that you are sure of a loss tend to turn the other way. I have seen it happen a lot, especially with teams playing against the Sox. I think Carlos Quentin explodes tomorrow, and the White Sox take the series.

cws05champ
04-26-2009, 09:06 AM
There's our ace. Even though he had some trouble early, Buehrle really came through for us tonight. The prospect of going against a soft-tossing lefty that we haven't seen before scared me, but the Sox came through. Hopefully, we can get to Halladay tomorrow.
Buehrle got in trouble because of a couple bloop hits in that inning...and then pulled it together.
Also, we have seen Burres before with the O's last year. He pitched 8 innings and gave up 3 hits against us last year. So we got the "seeing a guy for the first time" out of our system and lit him up this time around :D:

russ99
04-26-2009, 09:48 AM

Use noaa.gov. You can pick an area on the map and they have an hourly weather graph that's pretty reliable on temp and wind, but a bit less so on precipitation. I knew on Friday we were going to have a big cold snap during the game yesterday after the front went through.

voodoochile
04-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Nice solid win.

Couple of thoughts and answers...

Getz was a last minute scratch due to a "bruised finger".

The really cool thing about Alexei's slam was the way it developed. After swinging at a sinker that ended up low and watching a tight curve that broke back over the plate where he was completely fooled. He then went on to not swing at a sinker and a big curve ball where the ball ended up a foot outside. Once the count got full, I was pretty sure the tight curve - strike was coming again. I think TCM thought so too and he made them pay. Reminded me of stories of big sluggers intentionally taking a pitch for a strike early in the game hoping the pitcher would throw it to them later with men on base so they could drive it.

BA continues to hit well. Go BA.

BurlyMon IS the team ace. It's been that way for a while. The guy simply knows how to pitch.

Team seems to still be struggling a bit to find their identity, but no one's running away with the division. Just need to stay consistent and get better and they'll be fine.

:)

hi im skot
04-26-2009, 11:11 AM
-I noticed the original lineup tonight on the scoreboard at the ballpark had Lillibridge in CF and Getz at 2B. Was there any reason for the last minute change? Did the TV broadcast mention something?

-There was a stat on the scoreboard that showed Alexei batted .481 last year with the bases loaded (with 5 Grand Slams as we know). He then proceeded to hit his 6th Grand Slam right after that was shown. It's a hell of a stat. Some guys don't hit 6 Slams in their entire careers and Alexei has done it 6 times in a little over one full season. Clutch!

Rongey said Getz bruised his finger, either in BP or warm-ups. Didn't sound too serious from what he was saying.

Alexei's grand slam Saturday was his fifth career, not his sixth. Still, it's mighty impressive.

wassagstdu
04-26-2009, 12:12 PM
The fact that Alexei broke out of his slump with a grand slam may say something about why he was in it.

DirtySox
04-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Getz is a scratch again today.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/04/chris-getz-misses-second-white-sox-game.html