PDA

View Full Version : Theft in the U.S. Cellular Field Parking Lots

Viva Medias B's
04-25-2009, 08:45 AM
I do not even know if this is an appropriate topic to bring up here on WSI or what the appropriate forum to post it in is. If this is something that should not be posted here on WSI, I apologize in advance. Otherwise, here we go.

Anyway, I attended last night's debacle and was parked in Lot G at 35th and Normal. As if the crappy performance of the team wasn't bad enough, I discovered last night that someone stole on the the magnets attached to the back of my vehicle. I already sent Brooks Boyer and my ticket rep an e-mail regarding this incident. I fully realize that nothing can be done about the theft by them or anyone else, but I wanted to make them aware of it.

The magnet that was stolen is a special one and one that I cannot replace. For this reason, I admit that I am personally hurt by this theft and further disappointed that, presumably, a White Sox fan would commit an act like this against fellow White Sox fan. If it were up to me, any White Sox fan who commits an act like this against a fellow White Sox fan should be excommunicated from the White Sox fandom.

I would like know if any of you have ever experienced any kind of theft or other problem in the parking lots of U.S. Cellular Field. Please keep your experiences within the bounds of WSI's rules.

SOXfnNlansing
04-25-2009, 08:54 AM
Hey man, I'm sorry about your loss. I've never had any problems in my 20+ years of going to games with theft. I'd chalk it up as an isolated incident. I have to admit that I take my flags off the car when I leave the lot and go into the park. I figure that anything easy to grab or break is fair game in the parking lots. A magnet is fair game to some unruly drunks.

KenBerryGrab
04-25-2009, 09:42 AM
Sorry to hear it. When I read your title, though, I thought your vehicle had been broken into. That's a whole different level of malice.

southside rocks
04-25-2009, 10:05 AM
I would like know if any of you have ever experienced any kind of theft or other problem in the parking lots of U.S. Cellular Field. Please keep your experiences within the bounds of WSI's rules.

I haven't, I park in Lot F.

I have had two Sox magnets stolen from my car, and my brother-in-law has had one stolen, but none of those thefts occurred at a Sox game.

I don't leave magnets on my car when I leave my car, anymore. I take them off and toss them inside and put them back on when I return to the vehicle. I got sick of buying the same magnet over and over. :D:

TomBradley72
04-25-2009, 10:05 AM
I think that's a pretty tough thing for a security crew to prevent, it takes about 2 seconds to peel off a magnet from a car, we always take all that stuff off of our car before heading in to the park for the game.

soxpride724
04-25-2009, 10:14 AM
I also remove any magnets, car flags when I park my vehicle. The only problem I have ever had in one of the lots wasn't a theft, but someone hit my parked car and then drove off.

DeuceUnit
04-25-2009, 11:53 AM
I have and so have some of my friends. I have had 2 grills stolen and my buddy had a white sox jacket, radar detector, and some other things all stolen from our cars.

tebman
04-25-2009, 12:12 PM
I haven't had any thefts but I did find after one game that I lost an outside rear-view mirror. I doubt that it was deliberate -- probably just somebody pulling away too close, but it was still aggravating.

I've had magnets on my car too, but I always take them off when I leave the car. They're an easy mark for the few whooping drunks who are sometimes in the lots. It's good that you let the Sox know about it so that they can note any patterns of ugly behavior.

Viva Medias B's
04-25-2009, 12:28 PM
I also remove any magnets, car flags when I park my vehicle. The only problem I have ever had in one of the lots wasn't a theft, but someone hit my parked car and then drove off.

That happened to me during the July 4th game last year. Outside of having to pay the $500 deductable, my insurance company took care of things.

LoveYourSuit
04-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Viva,

Sorry for the loss. But anything can happen in those lots while you are sitting inside watching a 3 hour game. It's the risk you take for driving to the game.

Now leaving stuff exposed outside the vehicle, only one person here to blame.... that would be you.

Sorry.

Viva Medias B's
04-25-2009, 12:56 PM
Viva,

Sorry for the loss. But anything can happen in those lots while you are sitting inside watching a 3 hour game. It's the risk you take for driving to the game.

Now leaving stuff exposed outside the vehicle, only one person here to blame.... that would be you.

Sorry.

You would be right, but the thief would be to blame too, of course.

Woofer
04-25-2009, 07:17 PM
I wouldn't leave anything around that can be taken. It's a shame that you can't trust people to leave your stuff alone, it was probably some drunk trying to be cute. Somebody 5 cars down from you probably ended up driving home with it the magnet stuck to their roof or trunk.

I too have had a car hit while at a game. They must have been trying to turn around and clipped my bumper. My bumper was scratched pretty good, and the license plate and the frame that holds it to the bumper was knocked off the car. Whoever hit me was nice enough to then throw the plate and frame onto my hood, which left a nice scratch there too. I guess it is inevitable, you have 12,000 cars parked where people are drinking and driving. I guess it's to be expected somewhat.

CMPDragRacing
04-26-2009, 04:00 AM
people are aholes. i parked at my brothers house and someone stole the sox logo off the tailgate of my truck when i was house sitting for him.

another incident didnt happen at the cell but at the orange line station at pulaski while i was at the sox game. some lowlife broke in stole the stereo cd changer and some misc stuff out of the interior. i was trying to avoid the parking fees at the cell so i took the train. i know it has nothing to do with the sox or anything like that it was just probably a random act of theft.

to the point of my reply...
what kind of magnet was it that was taken? if it was something unique maybe someone on here might find it. if it was just the run of the mill logo or something then its gone. its getting to the point where i dont want to pull my truck out of the driveway.

Mod Edit: I hightlighted the language violation. You need to read the rules immediately.

WSox597
04-26-2009, 07:50 AM
There is a poster here, I forget his screen name, who has a signature that nails it.

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling."

There it is, sad to say.

tick53
04-26-2009, 10:57 AM
Sorry about your loss Viva and you are right. Sox fans should never in any way do something (or anything) like that to a fellow White Sox fan. I respect my Sox bretheren out there. A real Sox fan wouldn't even think it.

:angry:

ticked 53

DrCrawdad
04-26-2009, 04:57 PM

Several years ago some relatives of Jon Garland's were parked by us. We were hanging out by our car and when Garland's relatives came out they noticed that someone had dented their car door. They were seniors with a flair for the f-bomb. My brother's kids were quite young then and he asked them to cool out with the f-bombs.

soxfanreggie
04-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Sorry about the loss of your magnet. With the cost of parking these days, it's easier for me to take the train up. Don't have to worry about traffic after the game either.

TheVulture
04-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Several years ago some relatives of Jon Garland's were parked by us. We were hanging out by our car and when Garland's relatives came out they noticed that someone had dented their car door. They were seniors with a flair for the f-bomb. My brother's kids were quite young then and he asekd then to cool out with the f-bombs.

I sat next to Garland's gramp at a Cactus League game once; quiet fellow who looked exactly like a 75 year old version of Jon.

DrCrawdad
04-26-2009, 10:15 PM
I sat next to Garland's gramp at a Cactus League game once; quiet fellow who looked exactly like a 75 year old version of Jon.

IIRC the folks I ran into were his Aunt and Uncle from Missouri.

tmill20
04-26-2009, 11:30 PM
some buddies and i were at a game a few years ago, i believe we were parked in lot b (?), and my car was broken into, someone disabled the alarm some how because my hood was open, took my ipod, i pass, a bluetooth, a sox hat, sox jacket, and half a case of beer. i told security and they said that there was nothing that they could do. it was a pretty crappy night, and getting my beer stolen was a kick in the junk.

I want Mags back
04-26-2009, 11:40 PM
I park on the streets, east of the Ryan.

pdimas
04-27-2009, 12:37 AM
Some punks tried to steal a magnet off of my dad's car when we were leaving the game a few years ago. Usually a bunch of us will linger by the car after the game and wait for traffic to die down. Somebody spotted the guys and alerted us immediately. The noticeably drunk buffoons then decided to get mouthy and start trouble. Needless to say it was a pretty one sided affair. They took home a few bruises as souvenirs of the evening. :gulp:

DumpJerry
04-27-2009, 08:00 AM
I park on the streets, east of the Ryan.
They have installed parking meters on most of those streets.

I want Mags back
04-27-2009, 08:23 AM
They have installed parking meters on most of those streets.

They aren't on the streets under the tracks, just an extra block away now.

Law11
05-01-2009, 01:26 PM
I have a "keep the ball throw a Cub fan back" magnet on mine but take it off when I go into the games. I've had too many magnets taken..

ChiSoxGirl
05-02-2009, 12:05 AM
I have a "keep the ball throw a Cub fan back" magnet on mine but take it off when I go into the games. I've had too many magnets taken..

That's seriously awesome! Where'd you get that?

nug0hs
05-02-2009, 11:24 AM
To answer the original poster, my friend had her side view mirror smashed and removed once. Apparently when she called her ticket rep they said about 10 other people reported the same thing that same night. :scratch:

Jerko
05-02-2009, 12:36 PM
buddy of mine got a grill snatched once. it was too hot to put back in the car so he (among about 30 others) left it next to the car to cool off during the game. Some ******** or a group thereof must have thought it was funny to steal them. Whole row was victimized. In the old days he could have just stayed out there till it cooled off but IIRC that was the first year you had to be out of the lots by the time the game started.

Rohan
05-02-2009, 05:42 PM
I'm sorry for your loss, bud. It's stuff like this that further promotes cubs fans rants about how it's not safe to go to White Sox games.

I'm all for excommunication.

Nellie_Fox
05-03-2009, 01:57 AM
I'm sorry for your loss, bud. It's stuff like this that further promotes cubs fans rants about how it's not safe to go to White Sox games.Oh, please. First of all, nobody died. I can't believe how many people have expressed sorrow for a loss about this. It's a car magnet.

Second, it can, and will, happen anywhere. To think that you are somehow safer from theft because you're among White Sox fans is just silly. Team fandom makes you no better or worse as a human being than anyone else. The population of Sox fans is undoubtedly representative of the population as a whole, and so are fans of other teams. Good people, bad people, perverts, thieves, drug addicts, wife beaters. No different.

4 points
05-03-2009, 05:33 AM
It`s only getting worse, last week someone stold Contreras control. It was last seen speeding away in a red Suburu.:D:

southside rocks
05-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Oh, please. First of all, nobody died. I can't believe how many people have expressed sorrow for a loss about this. It's a car magnet.

Second, it can, and will, happen anywhere. To think that you are somehow safer from theft because you're among White Sox fans is just silly. Team fandom makes you no better or worse as a human being than anyone else. The population of Sox fans is undoubtedly representative of the population as a whole, and so are fans of other teams. Good people, bad people, perverts, thieves, drug addicts, wife beaters. No different.

Yeah, I kind of don't get how this is a big deal. I've had Sox magnets taken from my car when it was nowhere near the Cell. And as a resident of Chicago's Beverly neighborhood, I will say that the behavior displayed by those attending the annual St. Pat's Day Parade here makes mere magnet theft and even grill theft look benign. Eleven assaults on police officers at this year's parade finally caused the neighborhood committee to cancel all future parades, thank goodness.

It's easy and quick to remove magnets from cars and put them inside the cars when leaving the car in a spot where you think the magnets might be stolen.

CLR01
05-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Thoughts, prayers, etc...

wulfy
05-05-2009, 05:55 PM
I've never had anything stolen at a Sox game, but the damn Bears fans will steal anything. I've had two grills, 4 magnets and a bag of concrete (in the tailgate) stolen in the lots around Soldier Field.

Must be Cubs fans.