PDA

View Full Version : Milton Bradley Update

doublem23
04-24-2009, 12:29 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4095214

Possibly headed to the DL, already butting heads with the Chicago sports media.

CashMan
04-24-2009, 12:34 PM

I think in his 9-10yrs in the league he has played over 100 games, 3 times, IIRC. He is a DH roaming the OF. I thought it was a bad signing for the Cubs, and it makes me smile more and more to see them spend their money poorly. Too bad he isn't a pitcher, he could be racking up wins in simulated games.

Johnny Mostil
04-24-2009, 12:42 PM
I think in his 9-10yrs in the league he has played over 100 games, 3 times, IIRC. He is a DH roaming the OF. I thought it was a bad signing for the Cubs, and it makes me smile more and more to see them spend their money poorly. Too bad he isn't a pitcher, he could be racking up wins in simulated games.

You can't win a simulated shutout without scoring a simulated run . . .

doublem23
04-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Only 472 games left on that contract, Cub fans.

:rolling:

SoxGirl4Life
04-24-2009, 12:45 PM

Because that's worked so well for so many others that have passed through town..

CashMan
04-24-2009, 12:48 PM
You can't win a simulated shutout without scoring a simulated run . . .

Van Damme you! You got me there.

CashMan
04-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Because that's worked so well for so many others that have passed through town..

Perhaps he will schedule a press conference to let the media know, he isn't talking to them.

SOXPHILE
04-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Perhaps he will schedule a press conference to let the media know, he isn't talking to them.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_115629.jpg "So ? What's wrong with doing that ?"

Steve Stone had a good point about the Cubs and Bradley this morning on Mully & Hanley. He said that if you go somewhere, pick out a dog, buy the dog, and bring it home, then don't be mad or surprised that it's not a cat.

kittle42
04-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Steve Stone had a good point about the Cubs and Bradley this morning on Mully & Hanley. He said that if you go somewhere, pick out a dog, buy the dog, and bring it home, then don't be mad or surprised that it's not a cat.

Two things I love:

1. That duck

2. Steve Stone

CashMan
04-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Two things I love:

1. That duck

2. Steve Stone

I love duck too!

Smokey Burg
04-24-2009, 01:10 PM
What a surprise. Going into the 4th weekend of the season and the guys out already. Who'd a thunk it? Great idea, get rid of De Rosa and add some left handed power to the line up. But then again this is the same organization that traded Brock for Broglio and then Sutter for Reitz. No wonder they haven't won anything for 100+ yrs. But then I'm preaching to the choir. Sorry for the rant.

kittle42
04-24-2009, 01:48 PM
What a surprise. Going into the 4th weekend of the season and the guys out already. Who'd a thunk it? Great idea, get rid of De Rosa and add some left handed power to the line up. But then again this is the same organization that traded Brock for Broglio and then Sutter for Reitz. No wonder they haven't won anything for 100+ yrs. But then I'm preaching to the choir. Sorry for the rant.

No worries - you're dead on.

If this drama continues and the when the Cubs don't win the WS again, they'll just have another excuse - "Oh, that Milton Bradley guy ruined the team chemistry. It's Gonna Happen - next year!" until there's a new excuse next year.

Funny fanbase.

GlassSox
04-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Two things I love:

1. That duck

2. Steve Stone

Absolutely, sometimes you get exactly what you bought. Nothing about this is should be a surprise to anyone except maybe Hendry.

PatK
04-24-2009, 02:50 PM
I love duck too!

How can you not?

It's a handsome duck.

southside rocks
04-24-2009, 02:59 PM
They were talking about Milton on MLB Homeplate on XM this morning. He didn't get many friendly or favorable comments. :?:

Another brilliant contract executed by Jim Hendry ...

SoxGirl4Life
04-24-2009, 03:03 PM
He's the built in scapegoat for the 2009 season.

Banix12
04-24-2009, 04:36 PM

Totally agree, giving up the versatility and bat of Derosa just to add left handed power was a foolish move. That whole left handed power thing was the lamest excuse for the cubs failure last season. Having lefty power is nice but not having it isn't going to keep you from winning.

number of left handed homeruns hit by the 2008 cubs 45
number of left handed homeruns hit by the 2005 white sox 40

minutia
04-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Two things I love:

1. That duck

2. Steve Stone

Sorry for not knowing this but who is duck?

The Immigrant
04-24-2009, 05:09 PM

http://mycampfriends.com/filebin/LongDuckDong.jpg

DrCrawdad
04-24-2009, 05:35 PM

http://www.thirdwayblog.com/images/400/Aflac%20Duck.jpg

white sox bill
04-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Hmmm they gave up Kerry Wood and signed this guy??

slavko
04-24-2009, 09:23 PM

At the time, Brock was butchering CF, totally biffed up at the plate, running the bases unintelligently, and getting s-word from the greatest fans in the world. But for a sore-armed curve baller? (He was sort of a butcher in LF for the rest of his career, too.)

DSpivack
04-24-2009, 11:39 PM

When and if healthy, he's a dangerous hitter. Led the AL in OBP and OPS last year, but played only some 120-odd games.

Nellie_Fox
04-25-2009, 12:21 AM

http://www.thirdwayblog.com/images/400/Aflac%20Duck.jpgHawk luvs the duck.

areilly
04-25-2009, 08:56 AM
When and if healthy, he's a dangerous hitter. Led the AL in OBP and OPS last year, but played only some 120-odd games.

Yes, but that also happened while Bradley was batting behind Josh Hamilton. That's not a knock against Aramis Ramirez or Derrek Lee or whoever goes ahead of him, but I don't think Bradley will see nearly the number of fastballs AL pitching threw him last year.

goon
04-25-2009, 11:28 AM

He played 97 of those 126 games as a DH. Put him in the field and you're ****ed.

DSpivack
04-25-2009, 11:56 AM
He played 97 of those 126 games as a DH. Put him in the field and you're ****ed.

No argument here.

pythons007
04-25-2009, 10:26 PM
He's the built in scapegoat for the 2009 season.

and 2010 and 2011

kevingrt
04-25-2009, 10:40 PM

And Mark Derosa.

Tragg
04-25-2009, 10:47 PM
I remember another one of Stone's saying about, oh, 4 years ago...When you create a frankenstein, don't be surprised when he eats the village.

I believe he was discharged about 2 weeks later.

Mendoza Line
04-25-2009, 11:37 PM
I remember another one of Stone's saying about, oh, 4 years ago...When you create a frankenstein, don't be surprised when he eats the village.

I believe he was discharged about 2 weeks later.

That quote is hilarious. Any chance you remember who he was talking about?

StillMissOzzie
04-26-2009, 12:41 AM
That quote is hilarious. Any chance you remember who he was talking about?

I may be wrong, but I think he was talking about Sosa in the wake of that last game of the 2004 (?) season where he bolted after an inning or two and then lied about it. He was talking about the superstar/diva treatment that Baker allowed to pervade the clubhouse, with one set of rules for Sammy and another set of rules for the rest of the team.

SMO
:gulp:

JermaineDye05
04-26-2009, 12:45 AM
I may be wrong, but I think he was talking about Sosa in the wake of that last game of the 2004 (?) season where he bolted after an inning or two and then lied about it. He was talking about the superstar/diva treatment that Baker allowed to pervade the clubhouse, with one set of rules for Sammy and another set of rules for the rest of the team.

SMO
:gulp:

Correct.

I found this on baseball prospectus.

Link (https://baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=3682)

I'd quote it, but I think it's copyright. I really don't feel like risking it by testing the mods. I've already had my fair share of warnings :D:.

It's the fifth quote down under the heading "It's Alive"

Nellie_Fox
04-26-2009, 01:29 AM
I really don't feel like risking it by testing the mods. I've already had my fair share of warnings :D:.:thumbsup: