PDA

View Full Version : Jim Thome Interview

beasly213
04-23-2009, 10:33 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9488100/Thome's-drive-to-win-remains-fierce

doublem23
04-23-2009, 10:35 AM
Very few guys in the game deserve a ring more than Jim.

:gulp: to 2009 being his year.

Redus Redux
04-23-2009, 10:37 AM
I often wonder how I'll look back on the Jim Thome time here if he doesnt win a ring.

I'm not one of those people who regrets trading Rowand; I think putting a championship team around Thome was very possible.

But part of me thinks it put us over the edge regarding our being too 'station to station'

Also I've been meaning to ask this of someone. I remember Thome's entire career with Cleveland, but I cant say I was the most knowledgeable fan at that point. Can someone kind of compare what aspects of his game were better then. More so with hitting as I can imagine he was more agile but not impressively so.

Noneck
04-23-2009, 10:44 AM
He's loyal to Cleveland? He does get such a wonderful reception ever since he left. This comment does disturb me and is changing how I feel about this guy.

voodoochile
04-23-2009, 10:48 AM
He's loyal to Cleveland? He does get such a wonderful reception ever since he left. This comment does disturb me and is changing how I feel about this guy.

Why? It doesn't change what he's done for the Sox. Of course he'd feel some loyalty to the city he spent the majority of his career playing for and where he got his start and had so much success - both from a team and individual perspective.

It's not a slam on the Sox to say he enjoyed his time in Cleveland and has fond memories of it.

Love how he handled the "favorite teammate" question. No Nick Swisher? I am shocked...:tongue:

He's got a serious chance to get to 650 HR and an outside chance at 700 if he can stay healthy.

Noneck
04-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Why? It doesn't change what he's done for the Sox. Of course he'd feel some loyalty to the city he spent the majority of his career playing for and where he got his start and had so much success - both from a team and individual perspective.

It's not a slam on the Sox to say he enjoyed his time in Cleveland and has fond memories of it.

Love how he handled the "favorite teammate" question. No Nick Swisher? I am shocked...:tongue:

He's got a serious chance to get to 650 HR and an outside chance at 700 if he can stay healthy.

I believe the context was not only about memories but about returning there.

oeo
04-23-2009, 10:52 AM
But part of me thinks it put us over the edge regarding our being too 'station to station'

No, the team just aged quickly.

Besides, I'd say the 2009 offense is as dynamic as the 2005 offense was. Actually, overall, it's better. We don't have the speedster like Pods, but we've got guys at the top and bottom that can steal some bags, and just wreak havoc overall. Once Alexei gets rolling, we'll see what this offense is all about.

voodoochile
04-23-2009, 10:52 AM
I believe the context was not only about memories but about returning there.

And as a FA why not? I'd hate to have to pitch to him again, but where he ends his career is his business. If the Sox don't keep him, it's not his fault.

voodoochile
04-23-2009, 10:53 AM
No, the team just aged quickly.

Besides, I'd say the 2009 offense is as dynamic as the 2005 offense was. Actually, overall, it's better. We don't have the speedster like Pods, but we've got guys at the top and bottom that can steal some bags, and just wreak havoc overall. Once Alexei gets rolling, we'll see what this offense is all about.

I'd just love to see a year where Dye, Thome, Konerko and TCQ all stay healthy and hit to their expected levels. If that happens, the rest is gravy...

CashMan
04-23-2009, 11:00 AM
We don't have the speedster like Pods, but we've got guys at the top and bottom that can steal some bags, and just wreak havoc overall. Once Alexei gets rolling, we'll see what this offense is all about.

I think Lillibridge has that speed, and I would like to see him play everyday, but I am not in favor over him starting over Getz or a platoon with Getz or in CF.

Noneck
04-23-2009, 11:00 AM
And as a FA why not? I'd hate to have to pitch to him again, but where he ends his career is his business. If the Sox don't keep him, it's not his fault.

As they say sometimes you can never go home and this is that occasion. End your career where you have been booed and unappreciated for no apparent reason? Not the place I would end a career but I am not looking to squeeze a couple more bucks for my great, great, great grand children.

oeo
04-23-2009, 11:03 AM
I think Lillibridge has that speed, and I would like to see him play everyday, but I am not in favor over him starting over Getz or a platoon with Getz or in CF.

I was talking about the starting nine. I'd compare Lillibridge more to Wee Willie/Pablo on the 2005 team. Although Lillibridge has less of a bat, yet better D than both.

doublem23
04-23-2009, 11:27 AM

Yeah, Jim would be crazy not to read the writing on the wall, this team is busting at the seams with good, young talent. If he wants to play past 2009, it's not going to be in Chicago.

CashMan
04-23-2009, 11:31 AM
Yeah, Jim would be crazy not to read the writing on the wall, this team is busting at the seams with good, young talent. If he wants to play past 2009, it's not going to be in Chicago.

If he were really cheap, I would not be against him returning, but I think the Sox can only offer him something like 70-80% of what he is making now, IIRC.

doublem23
04-23-2009, 11:34 AM
If he were really cheap, I would not be against him returning, but I think the Sox can only offer him something like 70-80% of what he is making now, IIRC.

I'm not 100% sure of the CBA, but I think that's only true if he accepts arbitration from the Sox. If they offer it and he declines, he can be resigned at any price. However, if we don't offer it to him, we can't sign him until sometime in mid-May, I believe.

khan
04-23-2009, 11:36 AM

In one sense, I can agree that the '09 offense is better. But specifically to speed/base stealing, not only did the '05 team have Pods, but Iguchi, Rowand, Dye, and [I think] Uribe also had > 10 steals. Also, Ozuna, Timo, and Willie Harris off the bench had a lot of speed as well. Rock Raines worked with the baserunners a lot in '05, which is a roles that I'm not sure is being filled today.

So, SPECIFICALLY to speed and our performance on the basepaths, I'd say that '05 > '09.

asindc
04-23-2009, 11:38 AM
As they say sometimes you can never go home and this is that occasion. End your career where you have been booed and unappreciated for no apparent reason? Not the place I would end a career but I am not looking to squeeze a couple more bucks for my great, great, great grand children.

Anything wrong with that? This is his profession. It is somewhat unique in that he can only make money playing until his body gives out. He doesn't talk like a man who wants to retire at the end of this season. It is all but certain the Sox won't re-sign him unless it is for a drastically reduced salary from what he currently makes. If some other team (yes, including Cleveland) wants to pay him more and he takes the offer, what is wrong with that?

jabrch
04-23-2009, 11:39 AM

I like having a LH power bat in the lineup to break up TCQ, JD and PK. I wouldn't mind seeing Jim sign a two year deal to stick around - as long as he is willing to take a significantly reduced price tag over what he is making this year. I don't see anyone giving him big money anymore. And of all teams Cleveland? What do they not need? A LH power hitting DH. Hafner is signed through 2012. They have loads of LH power on their team with Hafner, Martinez and Sizemore - and they have Crowe coming up also. The Indians make no sense as a destination for Thome.

TheCommander
04-23-2009, 11:41 AM

I seriously doubt Thome is concerned with making anymore moolah at this point. If he plays a few more years, it won't be to pad his bank account.

CashMan
04-23-2009, 11:45 AM
In one sense, I can agree that the '09 offense is better. But specifically to speed/base stealing, not only did the '05 team have Pods, but Iguchi, Rowand, Dye, and [I think] Uribe also had > 10 steals. Also, Ozuna, Timo, and Willie Harris off the bench had a lot of speed as well. Rock Raines worked with the baserunners a lot in '05, which is a roles that I'm not sure is being filled today.

So, SPECIFICALLY to speed and our performance on the basepaths, I'd say that '05 > '09.

Does anyone know the story on why Rock was phased out of Chicago?

oeo
04-23-2009, 11:48 AM

I still think the big threat Pods was is the only major difference other than Dye (replace him with Fields, and it's a wash) and AJ being a little slower. Getz, Fields, Alexei, and Anderson will all steal more than 10 bases this year. I'd put Getz and Alexei at 20-25, and Anderson at 15-20. Also, on the bench we have Lillibridge and Wise/Owens who are big steal threats.

doublem23
04-23-2009, 11:52 AM
I like having a LH power bat in the lineup to break up TCQ, JD and PK. I wouldn't mind seeing Jim sign a two year deal to stick around - as long as he is willing to take a significantly reduced price tag over what he is making this year.

I guess I'm less optimistic about Thome's production over the next year years. He's still productive but he's slowing down. The Sox have a lot of young guys that are going to need to get paid eventually, so I'm willing to cut ties with a guy before the bottom falls out (I'm also not interested in bringing Konerko back after his deal expires following next season).

Maybe I'm misinterpretting the CBA, but to bring Thome back in 2009, they'd have to offer him arbitration this off-season, with a minimum 2010 salary of $10.4 M (80% of his salary this year). He'd be crazy not to take that, who else is giving Thome $10 M in this economy? If the Sox decline arbitration to him, we can't sign him until May 15, IIRC.

Am I wrong?

CashMan
04-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Wise/Owens who are big steal threats.

In order for either of them to be a threat, they must get on base. Which both seem to be allergic to getting on base.

oeo
04-23-2009, 11:54 AM
In order for either of them to be a threat, they must get on base. Which both seem to be allergic to getting on base.

They can pinch run...

Noneck
04-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Anything wrong with that? This is his profession. It is somewhat unique in that he can only make money playing until his body gives out. He doesn't talk like a man who wants to retire at the end of this season. It is all but certain the Sox won't re-sign him unless it is for a drastically reduced salary from what he currently makes. If some other team (yes, including Cleveland) wants to pay him more and he takes the offer, what is wrong with that?

If they are the only team and I doubt they will be, then I may understand. But other than that I know I would never go back to a place where the fans treated me like that. But I have never had the opportunity to be obsessed with monetary gains and have lived my life by convictions. And selling myself to the highest bidder, not matter what, has not been one of them.

doublem23
04-23-2009, 12:03 PM
If they are the only team and I doubt they will be, then I may understand. But other than that I know I would never go back to a place where the fans treated me like that. But I have never had the opportunity to be obsessed with monetary gains and have lived my life by convictions. And selling myself to the highest bidder, not matter what, has not been one of them.

Lighten up man, these guys can't play baseball forever, so don't fault them for not wanting to collect as much as they can. Thome could very easily be looking at living 40 years after he hangs them up. There's nothing wrong with trying to earn every penny you're owed.

jabrch
04-23-2009, 12:05 PM
I guess I'm less optimistic about Thome's production over the next year years. He's still productive but he's slowing down. The Sox have a lot of young guys that are going to need to get paid eventually, so I'm willing to cut ties with a guy before the bottom falls out (I'm also not interested in bringing Konerko back after his deal expires following next season).

Maybe I'm misinterpretting the CBA, but to bring Thome back in 2009, they'd have to offer him arbitration this off-season, with a minimum 2010 salary of $10.4 M (80% of his salary this year). He'd be crazy not to take that, who else is giving Thome $10 M in this economy? If the Sox decline arbitration to him, we can't sign him until May 15, IIRC.

Am I wrong?

I agree on PK - we have enough RH power bats who can be 1B for much less than he will get. I'd be ok cutting ties with Jim - but only if we replace him with someone who can slg .500 or so from the Left side.

As far as Thome, they can sign him to a contract extension anytime they want at any price. They don't have to wait until arbitration to do so. Once they get to arbitration, if they go that far, they still can agree to any number up until the decision is made in arbitration. I see no way the Sox go to arbitration with Thome. If he wants to stay, and they want him, this will be resolved easily. If either party isn't interested, it won't go far.

It is nice to have the option to move PK or JD to DH when Jim leaves and bring someone in younger, less costly and more athletic to play 1B or RF or even LF (moving TCQ to RF). I like that option.

Noneck
04-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Lighten up man, these guys can't play baseball forever, so don't fault them for not wanting to collect as much as they can. Thome could very easily be looking at living 40 years after he hangs them up. There's nothing wrong with trying to earn every penny you're owed.

Yes you are correct. Thome is no different than all the others. I had him on a pedestal and I should have known better.

doublem23
04-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Fields has some pop in his bat and Brandon Allen is a LH-hitting 1B. I don't expect either to replace Thome's production (.268/.394/.553 in with the Sox (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/thomeji01.shtml#2006-2009-sum:batting_standard)), but together they could be intriguing pieces in the middle of the order.

khan
04-23-2009, 12:24 PM
I still think the big threat Pods was is the only major difference other than Dye (replace him with Fields, and it's a wash) and AJ being a little slower. Getz, Fields, Alexei, and Anderson will all steal more than 10 bases this year. I'd put Getz and Alexei at 20-25, and Anderson at 15-20. Also, on the bench we have Lillibridge and Wise/Owens who are big steal threats.

Pods was a huge difference maker for that '05 team. 59 steals are still 59 steals that this team won't have. The other thing [to me, anyway] is that Rock Raines was a HOF-level basestealer as a coach in '05. I just don't see that kind of expertise in the coaching staff today. [Disclaimer: I believe Raines to be a HOF-level player, but I don't think he'll be voted in, since he didn't play for NY or Boston in his prime.]

But to your other points, Ramirez had 13 steals a year ago, so 20-25 may or may not be possible, depending on whether or not he gets on base.
I think Getz can get MORE than 20-25, if he's healthy and can adjust to the pitchers' adjustments to him later this season.
I don't think that Anderson will get enough AB to get 15-20 steals. While I'm hopeful, I don't think that Fields will continue to get on base enough to get > 10 steals.

Having said that, I'm hopeful and I'm a fan. If Ramirez/Anderson/Fields match your expectations, then '09 could be a good year. But I'm a bit more pessimistic about their steal totals.

doublem23
04-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Yes you are correct. Thome is no different than all the others. I had him on a pedestal and I should have known better.

I'm sorry that baseball is his job. :shrug:

Noneck
04-23-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm sorry that baseball is his job. :shrug:

Yes it is and its all about getting everything you can squeeze out of it, no matter what, where and how you do it.

doublem23
04-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Yes it is and its all about getting everything you can squeeze out of it, no matter what, where and how you do it.

If that's what he wants, that's certainly his right.

Noneck
04-23-2009, 12:40 PM
If that's what he wants, that's certainly his right.

Yes it is and now I know.

Ranger
04-23-2009, 12:51 PM

Pardon me for interjecting, but what the **** are you talking about? He feels loyalty to the organization that gave him his start and took care of him the entire time he played there. Who, as a player, wouldn't be loyal to that? It's not uncommon, irrational, or even selfish to want to play your final season with the team that raised you...if that is what he's thinking.

And believe it or not, in this case, his desire to extend his career another year or two may not just be about money at this point. It might be because he legitimately loves playing the game and is trying to stretch it out as long as he can considering he can't play forever.

I've read all of your posts in this thread, and your absurd opinions put you in line with those fans in Cleveland that boo him. Sorry, but I think somebody needed to tell you that.

doublem23
04-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Yes it is and now I know.

Whatever man, maybe Thome values the 15ish years he spent with the Indians more than the clowns at Jacobs Field that boo him today. He's always said he enjoyed his time at Cleveland, it's not like he's just started backtracking just because he realizes he might need them for a paycheck next year.

kobo
04-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Who cares about the fans? It's about the organization and how the organization treated him while he was there. Fans are fans, I wouldn't let the way fans treated me dictate what teams I play for. Maybe he wants to go back to Cleveland as a thank you of sorts for giving him the opportunity to play baseball. I don't think it's about the money with Jim, it's about playing the game and respecting the game. The money is just gravy.

voodoochile
I'm not 100% sure of the CBA, but I think that's only true if he accepts arbitration from the Sox. If they offer it and he declines, he can be resigned at any price. However, if we don't offer it to him, we can't sign him until sometime in mid-May, I believe.

Can the Sox offer arbitration after declining the option year? He has one for $15.5M for 2010 which the Sox are NOT going to pick up.

thedudeabides

Are you saying Thome has no convictions? I think he just really enjoys playing baseball and isn't ready to hang it up yet. Why burn any bridges?

Maybe, he just remembers all the good times he had in Cleveland. They had a lot of success when he was there and he was around for a good chunk of when Cleveland set the record for consecutive sellouts.

He was one of the most popular athletes Cleveland has seen, while he was there. Judging by his outlook, he is probably just looking past the bozos that boo him now.

hi im skot
04-23-2009, 01:07 PM
I love JI

JIM THOME

DonnieDarko
04-23-2009, 01:08 PM
I love JI

JIM THOME

Joe Inglett? :tongue:

doublem23
04-23-2009, 01:11 PM
P.S. Jim Thome and his wife have pledged $10,000 (I think) to the Children's Hospital at OSF St. Francis in Peoria, IL for every home run he hits in 2009.

All about the money, that Thome fellow.

DonnieDarko
04-23-2009, 01:14 PM
P.S. Jim Thome and his wife have pledged $10,000 (I think) to the Children's Hospital at OSF St. Francis in Peoria, IL for every home run he hits in 2009.

...Christ, really? Assuming that he only hits 30 HRs...that's a third of a million, which from a private donor is a large sum of money. I'm gonna be really sad when he eventually leaves the team. :whiner:

XplodingScorbord
04-23-2009, 01:27 PM

What an incredibly selfish move on his part.

Seriously, some of the comments in this thread call into serious question the human evaluation skills and reading comprehension skills of the posters.

Jim is a class individual, and it's been a real privilege to be able to root for him.

doublem23
04-23-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm guessing you mean selfless.

beasly213
04-23-2009, 02:20 PM
I like Jim Thome, he's a nice guy and a good guy to have in the lineup just because of his threat to go yard at any time. His strike outs drive me crazy though.

Ideally I don't want the Sox to bring him back and I'd like the Sox to sign J.D. to a deal to play DH and keep Paulie at 1st until his deal runs out.

CashMan
04-23-2009, 02:22 PM
What an incredibly selfish move on his part.

Seriously, some of the comments in this thread call into serious question the human evaluation skills and reading comprehension skills of the posters.

Jim is a class individual, and it's been a real privilege to be able to root for him.

I am not saying he is selfish, but I am sure he is getting a nice tax credit out of this.

Noneck
04-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Pardon me for interjecting, but what the **** are you talking about? He feels loyalty to the organization that gave him his start and took care of him the entire time he played there. Who, as a player, wouldn't be loyal to that? It's not uncommon, irrational, or even selfish to want to play your final season with the team that raised you...if that is what he's thinking.

And believe it or not, in this case, his desire to extend his career another year or two may not just be about money at this point. It might be because he legitimately loves playing the game and is trying to stretch it out as long as he can considering he can't play forever.

I've read all of your posts in this thread, and your absurd opinions put you in line with those fans in Cleveland that boo him. Sorry, but I think somebody needed to tell you that.

Would you go back to a radio station (your 1st) that you were revered at by callers but left for a better offer and after you left were then chastised by the same people? Maybe you would, I wouldn't tho. No matter what was put on the table.

And its kinda cruel for you to compare me with the people that boo Thome. Just because I would consider the people that I entertain and their thoughts and actions as my primary reason to end a great career in that location. Because that and winning would my only objective at the end of my career. But we are all different in our convictions.

voodoochile
04-23-2009, 02:35 PM
I am not saying he is selfish, but I am sure he is getting a nice tax credit out of this.

As well he should. I think pretty much all charity donations are tax deductible. So what's your point?

Nellie_Fox
04-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Lighten up man, these guys can't play baseball forever, so don't fault them for not wanting to collect as much as they can. This always cracks me up. Thome will make several times more money just this year than I'll earn in my entire life. The idea that they "need" to keep earning huge salaries because of "short careers" is nonsense. Besides, where is it written that you are entitled to retire after one career, regardless of how short it is, and live forever after on what you made in that one career? Do you think Thome would have trouble finding a cushy, very well-paying job based on some corporation wanting his name and face for PR purposes?

I'm not saying I begrudge them making all that someone is willing to pay them; just don't make it sound like they'll be in a soup line after their career in baseball is over.

voodoochile
04-23-2009, 02:51 PM
This always cracks me up. Thome will make several times more money just this year than I'll earn in my entire life. The idea that they "need" to keep earning huge salaries because of "short careers" is nonsense. Besides, where is it written that you are entitled to retire after one career, regardless of how short it is, and live forever after on what you made in that one career? Do you think Thome would have trouble finding a cushy, very well-paying job based on some corporation wanting his name and face for PR purposes?

I'm not saying I begrudge them making all that someone is willing to pay them; just don't make it sound like they'll be in a soup line after their career in baseball is over.

How many guys have careers like JT who don't absolutely love the game of baseball? I mean it takes a LOT of effort and desire and passion to get to that level.

Maybe that's what makes it so hard to walk away after a career that is half as long as common careers or even careers in other entertainment industries.

I don't begrudge anyone doing something they love for as long as they possibly can. I didn't care when MJ came back to play for the Bullets for that exact reason. I understand why Fisk had to be fired before he'd walk away. Add in the never ending quest for a championship - something most professions don't offer and it's even more clear why these stars hang on and hang on and hang on until someone hands them their walking papers or everyone simply turns their back to them (ala Frank).

If I was a pro athlete, they'd have to kick me out of the game before I would stop playing, not because of the money or even the fame, but because it's simply one of the most fun things you can do with your life.

I doubt being a greeter for a major corporation will pack that same punch in terms of self-fulfillment.

doublem23
04-23-2009, 02:52 PM
This always cracks me up. Thome will make several times more money just this year than I'll earn in my entire life. The idea that they "need" to keep earning huge salaries because of "short careers" is nonsense. Besides, where is it written that you are entitled to retire after one career, regardless of how short it is, and live forever after on what you made in that one career? Do you think Thome would have trouble finding a cushy, very well-paying job based on some corporation wanting his name and face for PR purposes?

That's not at all what I said; I'm sure Jim doesn't need to make another cent to keep putting food on the table, all I said was I don't blame these guys for trying to maximize their revenue during their playing days. If he wants to stay in Chicago (or go somewhere else where he has a good chance to win a championship) and take a serious pay cut next year, fine. If he wants to sign to the highest bidder so that when he's done playing at age 45 he can retire and spend all his days fishing and enjoying life away from work, that's his right, too.

CashMan
04-23-2009, 02:58 PM
As well he should. I think pretty much all charity donations are tax deductible. So what's your point?

I get tired of people saying, OHH MY GOD, THIS GUY JUST DONATED $30K. When you make $10mill, 30k being tax deducted is like pennies.

doublem23
04-23-2009, 03:12 PM
I get tired of people saying, OHH MY GOD, THIS GUY JUST DONATED $30K. When you make $10mill, 30k being tax deducted is like pennies.

I'm sure he still pays more taxes than you or I.

jabrch
04-23-2009, 03:12 PM

You don't give away a half a million dollars for the tax break.

voodoochile
04-23-2009, 03:23 PM

He's already donated 30K. If he reaches his expected HR total the amount donated will be in excess of 300K.

The sad part is even if it were only 30K it's still a great thing to do. You minimizing it because of the amount he earns is truly sad, bitter and weak.

Nellie_Fox
04-23-2009, 03:30 PM
If he wants to sign to the highest bidder so that when he's done playing at age 45 he can retire and spend all his days fishing and enjoying life away from work, that's his right, too.I'm sure he can already do that. If it's love of the game, then the money offered at this point should not be the deciding factor. If he wants more money, fine, I don't begrudge him at all. The only thing I was addressing was those poster who always bring up the "short career" thing to justify milking every last dollar out of it, when they've already earned enough money to be comfortable for several more lifetimes. When you earn more money in a year than 95% of people will earn in a lifetime, then how short your career is becomes irrelevant to the discussion.

CashMan
04-23-2009, 03:43 PM
He's already donated 30K. If he reaches his expected HR total the amount donated will be in excess of 300K.

The sad part is even if it were only 30K it's still a great thing to do. You minimizing it because of the amount he earns is truly sad, bitter and weak.

Is it? Let us say Bill Gates donates $3mill to this also, to Bill Gates $3mill is pennies. Thome donating 30k, Tax write off, Thome donating 300k good for him.

doublem23
04-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Is it? Let us say Bill Gates donates $3mill to this also, to Bill Gates $3mill is pennies. Thome donating 30k, Tax write off, Thome donating 300k good for him.

:facepalm:

I hate all those people that don't give away as much of their money as I think they should, too. For instance, nobody has donated to the Doub Fund yet. Money... For Doub.

jabrch
04-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Tax Writeoff? Are you guys serious?

You must not pay a whole heck of a lot in taxes if you think that's his motivation.

voodoochile
04-23-2009, 04:04 PM

So because it doesn't fit your description of a decent percentage of his income you belittle it?

That's one screwed up point of view.

Ranger
04-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Would you go back to a radio station (your 1st) that you were revered at by callers but left for a better offer and after you left were then chastised by the same people? Maybe you would, I wouldn't tho. No matter what was put on the table.

And its kinda cruel for you to compare me with the people that boo Thome. Just because I would consider the people that I entertain and their thoughts and actions as my primary reason to end a great career in that location. Because that and winning would my only objective at the end of my career. But we are all different in our convictions.

This is kind of a ridiculous comparison because they don't compare. In no way are the two situations similar. But to answer your question, I would not make a decision of where I work based on the callers. If I did, I probably would have quit this job already.

And CashMan, the other posters here are absolutely correct. You have a screwed up way of thinking. Nobody gives up a third of a million dollars so they can get a tax break. Sometimes I wish people wouldn't share their opinions.

Noneck
04-23-2009, 08:06 PM
This is kind of a ridiculous comparison because they don't compare. In no way are the two situations similar. But to answer your question, I would not make a decision of where I work based on the callers. If I did, I probably would have quit this job already.

You are right they are not similar, you have to worry about paying your rent, putting food on the table for yourself and your family, educating your kids, putting clothes on their backs, having medical coverage and having a little nest egg for the unexpected.

Thome has to worry about none of this for many generations of future Thomes. He has the opportunity to do whatever he wants and if he wants to perform in front of people that have previously booed him for no apparent reason, God love him. But it is something I would never do.

I noticed you didn't comment on comparing me to the fans that boo Thome. If you think that a person that would remember being disrespected by fans that you gave your all for and as a result never wanted to return to perform for them, no matter what the rewards are, is similar to unwarranted booing, you are one messed up guy.

Thome25
04-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Jim Thome is and always will be one of my favorite players ever to play the game of baseball. He stands up there with Frank Thomas, Robin Ventura, AJ Pierzynski, and Carlton Fisk on the list of my all-time favorites.

He was the first player who played outside of the White Sox who I really liked. When he got traded to the Sox it was like a dream come true for me.

I always liked the way he stood up there in his at-bats. The way he pointed his bat toward centerfield and then raised it high above his head. He was always a great hitter.

I always did have a fondness for left-handed hitters. Maybe it's because their swings are so pretty. Or maybe because I can identify with them because I too am left handed.:D:

chisox77
04-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Jim Thome is a great guy, the real deal, and a genuine individual who really has the best intentions for his actions and example.

CashMan
04-24-2009, 11:33 AM
And CashMan, the other posters here are absolutely correct. You have a screwed up way of thinking. Nobody gives up a third of a million dollars so they can get a tax break. Sometimes I wish people wouldn't share their opinions.

Mr. Ranger, I was saying I did not think it was a big deal, for someone who is making $15mill a year to donate 30k. I was not saying it did not matter, more that it is nothing to make a huge deal out.

doublem23
04-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Mr. Ranger, I was saying I did not think it was a big deal, for someone who is making $15mill a year to donate 30k. I was not saying it did not matter, more that it is nothing to make a huge deal out.

Tell that to the people on the recieving end of the $30K, and BTW, Thome will likely be donating more tha $300K; it's $10,000 per homer.

CashMan
04-24-2009, 11:53 AM
and BTW, Thome will likely be donating more tha $300K; it's $10,000 per homer.

Which I said was great in another post.

thedudeabides
04-24-2009, 12:02 PM
KILL THE RICH!!!

Seriously, Thome is one of the most respected and well liked people across baseball. There are plenty of less than stellar examples being set by baseball players. I can't see why Thome should get such scrutiny for a seemingly harmless interview.

Ranger
04-24-2009, 12:03 PM
I noticed you didn't comment on comparing me to the fans that boo Thome. If you think that a person that would remember being disrespected by fans that you gave your all for and as a result never wanted to return to perform for them, no matter what the rewards are, is similar to unwarranted booing, you are one messed up guy.

Well, then let me point it out for you. If you're going to make comments along the lines of "this is changing the way I feel about this guy" and that he's "looking to squeeze out a few extra bucks for his great, great, great grandchildren" then you're implying he is no longer a good guy, in your opinion, because he is greedy. Which is exactly what the fans in Cleveland think. Therefore, you are in line with the people that boo him and it's totally absurd that you believe that.

And again, carefully read the following comment: it wouldn't be about the fans, it would be about the ORGANIZATION that brought him up. Of course they boo him now, but the moment he were to show up in an Indians uniform again, you wouldn't hear any boos.

Ranger
04-24-2009, 12:04 PM
KILL THE RICH!!!

Seriously, Thome is one of the most respected and well liked people across baseball. There are plenty of less than stellar examples being set by baseball players. I can't see why Thome should get such scrutiny for a seemingly harmless interview.

Because some people are just ridiculous.

Ranger
04-24-2009, 12:05 PM

You were trying to minimize the donation...which you had wrong to begin with.

CashMan
04-24-2009, 12:16 PM
You were trying to minimize the donation...which you had wrong to begin with.

I would compare it to me giving $100 to charity, which would not be a big deal. I feel it was a good gesture for Thome to donate 30k, compared to what he makes I don't think it is a huge deal. Him donating 10k per HR, I think is a big deal. But, no matter how I argue it, it is charity and I will be wrong, so I am done.

Noneck
04-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Well, then let me point it out for you. If you're going to make comments along the lines of "this is changing the way I feel about this guy" and that he's "looking to squeeze out a few extra bucks for his great, great, great grandchildren" then you're implying he is no longer a good guy, in your opinion, because he is greedy. Which is exactly what the fans in Cleveland think. Therefore, you are in line with the people that boo him and it's totally absurd that you believe that.

And again, carefully read the following comment: it wouldn't be about the fans, it would be about the ORGANIZATION that brought him up. Of course they boo him now, but the moment he were to show up in an Indians uniform again, you wouldn't hear any boos.

Going to a club where the fans have disrespected him for no apparent reason in order to gain more money which he doesn't need, would change how I feel about him. Like it or not that's the way I feel. Did I say I would boo him? No, He will always be a nice little foot note in Sox history.

And your ORGANIZATION comment is ludicrous. The ORGANIZATION includes players, coaches, ownership and many more people that come and go. How many players are on the team now that he previously played with, coaches etc.? This going home routine is a nice PR ploy by both the players and clubs to make a few bucks by both. Look around the sports and entertainment world, this has been going on forever. Don't be so naive because this time this ploy is coming from a respected player. If you genuinely want to go back it is because of the enjoyment you receive entertaining that particular audience not for the ORGANIZATION.

That greedy comment you put in my mouth bothers me. I never said that and wont. If he goes back, in my mind he won't be greedy, just a typical entertainer and as I said previously, I will take him off the pedestal.

thedudeabides
04-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Going to a club where the fans have disrespected him for no apparent reason in order to gain more money which he doesn't need, would change how I feel about him. Like it or not that's the way I feel. Did I say I would boo him? No, He will always be a nice little foot note in Sox history.

And your ORGANIZATION comment is ludicrous. The ORGANIZATION includes players, coaches, ownership and many more people that come and go. How many players are on the team now that he previously played with, coaches etc.? This going home routine is a nice PR ploy by both the players and clubs to make a few bucks by both. Look around the sports and entertainment world, this has been going on forever. Don't be so naive because this time this ploy is coming from a respected player. If you genuinely want to go back it is because of the enjoyment you receive entertaining that particular audience not for the ORGANIZATION.

All he said in the interview was he wouldn't rule out the possibility of returning. I have no idea how that has somehow turned into him being a money hungry player? :scratch:

I never heard him mention anything about money, just about all of the fond memories he had while he played in Cleveland. I don't see what the problem is. For such a class act, I just figured one of the truly good guys of the sport would get a little more respect. It's not like he has even gone back. He answered a direct question in an interview.

Noneck
04-24-2009, 02:46 PM
All he said in the interview was he wouldn't rule out the possibility of returning. I have no idea how that has somehow turned into him being a money hungry player? :scratch:

I never heard him mention anything about money, just about all of the fond memories he had while he played in Cleveland. I don't see what the problem is. For such a class act, I just figured one of the truly good guys of the sport would get a little more respect. It's not like he has even gone back. He answered a direct question in an interview.

My comment was "if" he went back to Clev, which said he would like to and "if" Clev was not the only choice or Clev was the highest bidder.

thedudeabides
04-24-2009, 02:54 PM
My comment was "if" he went back to Clev, which said he would like to and "if" Clev was not the only choice or Clev was the highest bidder.

If you want to get technical, his exact quote was "To rule out ever going back to Cleveland, I don't want to do that."

Somehow, not trying to single you out Noneck, a bunch of posts have come up about him just going for the money and even questioning his charitable contributions. I just find it unjustified for replying, in a very diplomatic way, to a direct question.

Everone is entitled to their opinion, and I'm not trying to step on anyones opinions, I just think Thome has earned more respect than he is getting here.

Noneck
04-24-2009, 03:02 PM
If you want to get technical, his exact quote was "To rule out ever going back to Cleveland, I don't want to do that."

Somehow, not trying to single you out Noneck, a bunch of posts have come up about him just going for the money and even questioning his charitable contributions. I just find it unjustified for replying, in a very diplomatic way, to a direct question.

Everone is entitled to their opinion, and I'm not trying to step on anyones opinions, I just think Thome has earned more respect than he is getting here.
I don't know if I am allowed to post quotes here but I don't know how else I can show this.

"Cleveland was the place I started. I'm very loyal to that place.Would it be cool to be go back? Yeah. Is that going to happen? I don't know. I can't look in the crystal ball"

voodoochile
04-24-2009, 03:16 PM
I would compare it to me giving $100 to charity, which would not be a big deal. I feel it was a good gesture for Thome to donate 30k, compared to what he makes I don't think it is a huge deal. Him donating 10k per HR, I think is a big deal. But, no matter how I argue it, it is charity and I will be wrong, so I am done.

It's not the same thing at all for the people receiving the donation. That's where your analogy not only falls apart but starts to look flat out ridiculous...