PDA

View Full Version : Luis Vizcaino

Lip Man 1
04-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Paul Sullivan reports the Cubs are going to let him go perhaps as soon as tomorrow and bring back up that former N.D. football player.

Any thoughts on the Sox taking a look at him?

Does he have anything left? Could he help stabilize middle / long relief.

I don't think he's seen much work with the Cubs but I don't know for sure since I don't follow them.

Lip

kittle42
04-22-2009, 09:53 PM
2005!

Lip Man 1
04-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Actually that has zero to do with it. The issue is Mike MacDougal and Clayton Richard not getting the job done in middle relief.

If they can actually help, I'll take a chance on ANYBODY. Hell Billy Pierce can still do a better job then Ol' MacDougal.

Lip

salty99
04-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Viz pitched yesterday and looked fine to me.

cards press box
04-23-2009, 12:41 AM
I don't see any downside in taking a flyer on Vizcaino.

Banix12
04-23-2009, 12:48 AM
Kind of figured it would be him going, he was basically only acquired because the cubs wanted to ditch Marquis and had to take him back in the deal.

I'd say pick him up. While he did have a higher ERA last year in Colorado I think that can largely be attributed to Colorado. His BB/K were actually pretty good. He looked decent this year the one time I saw him. Probably a better option than Egbert for the last man in the pen and he'd only cost the league minimum.

I do find it mildly amusing that Hendry is going to fix the cubs bullpen by releasing a pitcher who has yet to give up a run this year and has only allowed two baserunners. Meanwhile his closer has an ERA of six and a half. That's why he makes the big bucks.

JB98
04-23-2009, 02:44 AM
They're really going to release Vizcaino? Wow. Idiots.

Vizcaino will eat up innings for somebody in middle relief this year. He's not a great pitcher, but he's serviceable as a 10th or 11th man on a staff.

WSox597
04-23-2009, 06:16 AM
They're not thinking too clearly over there. After all, they're enbroiled in 'Catgate' at the moment. :rolleyes:

Interviews with veterinarians, cat fanciers, oh the horrors!

Heck, pick him up. He's got to be better than MacDougal at this point in time.

white sox bill
04-23-2009, 06:32 AM
Coop 'el fix him!
Sorry had to say it

slavko
04-23-2009, 09:04 AM
They're not thinking too clearly over there. After all, they're enbroiled in 'Catgate' at the moment. :rolleyes:

Interviews with veterinarians, cat fanciers, oh the horrors!

Heck, pick him up. He's got to be better than MacDougal at this point in time.

Coop 'el fix him!
Sorry had to say it

Of course you're referring to the cat. Feisty, disruptive little guy, obviously a Sox fan.

Sargeant79
04-23-2009, 09:53 AM
He's been DFA'd. In 72 hours, we could try to pick him up if we want to. (I doubt anyone claims him on waivers since he is owed about $4 million this year.)

http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog?post=4091331&name=levine

eriqjaffe
04-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Vizcaino would definitely be an improvement over MacDougal/Richard. As was pointed out, his ERA was up last year in Colorado, but all his other peripherals looked fine.

voodoochile
04-23-2009, 10:55 AM
I'd definitely take a shot if he slipped through waivers. Might even be more attractive to him since he knows the coaching staff and wouldn't have to move.

Chez
04-23-2009, 11:39 AM
The problem is that there are about 15 other teams which also would love to have him in the back of their bullpen.

dickallen15
04-23-2009, 11:45 AM
The problem is that there are about 15 other teams which also would love to have him in the back of their bullpen.

I really doubt anyone would claim him and be on the hook for $4 million. The Cubs may be able to trade him if they ate a huge chunk of it. If they release him and KW wants him, I think he would have a pretty good shot at getting him considering he is already set up in Chicago and has some familiarity with the team.

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-23-2009, 01:15 PM
If we have the chance, I think the Sox should definitly take a chance on him. Richard isn't exactly looking lights out. And we haven't even seen Egbert yet.

KenBerryGrab
04-23-2009, 01:20 PM
And we haven't even seen Egbert yet.

He pitched Tuesday. Gave up a two-run bomb to Huff.

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-23-2009, 01:43 PM
He pitched Tuesday. Gave up a two-run bomb to Huff.

That's right. Forgot about that game.

Lip Man 1
04-23-2009, 02:48 PM
As well you should have.

Lip

soxinem1
04-23-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm usually not big on the 'bring in/back released players for a reunion tour' thing, but this is really a no-brainer.

True, Egbert and Richard have had brief and/or ineffective games, and they need to pitch if they are going to develop.

I am also a big fan of bringing up your minor leaguers and giving them an ample shot to pitch.

But for a team that has two starters coming back from serious injuries, and a minor league journeyman as your suspected long-reliever (Carrasco), I'd grab Viz if they can and give him a shot.

The early indications are that this 2009 White Sox team will contend, and having a fairly effective P like Luis around for a few innings here and there.

Even if he blows, we only owe him the minimum.

Sockinchisox
04-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Gregor expects the Sox to put in a waiver claim on Viz.

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/1850

dickallen15
04-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Gregor expects the Sox to put in a waiver claim on Viz.

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/1850

I don't understand this. If the Sox make a waiver claim couldn't the Cubs just collect the $20k from the Sox and ship Vizcaino's contract to JR? Why would they say, hold on, if you really want him, let us send some $ your way? I think Vizcaino can clear waivers.

Brian26
04-23-2009, 09:59 PM
$4 million for a mediocre long-reliever is insane (if that is indeed his contract this year).

asindc
04-23-2009, 10:08 PM
I don't understand this. If the Sox make a waiver claim couldn't the Cubs just collect the $20k from the Sox and ship Vizcaino's contract to JR? Why would they say, hold on, if you really want him, let us send some $ your way? I think Vizcaino can clear waivers.

The Nats might be interested in him as well. If so, it is all moot anyway.

khan
04-27-2009, 11:02 AM
After watching the Egbert travesty, I'd welcome Vizcaino back with open arms. Has anything transpired with respect to this since last week?

With the reliability and consistency of the #s 4 and 5 in question, the bullpen has to be solid for this team to have a prayer of competing, IMO.

sunofgold
04-28-2009, 12:26 AM
3.2 IP, 0 ER, 3Ks, 0 walks

I would take him. Much better than our options like Egbert, Broadway, Russell, etc.

Lillian
04-28-2009, 07:47 AM
Adding Vizcaino to the pen would open up the possibility of using Carrasco as a starter, if the need should arise. We all hope that both Colon and Contreras can hold up, but if they don't D. J. would be a serviceable back of the rotation starter. He was a starter, and really wants to start again, given the chance.

He might need a little time to make the adjustment, but he's a finesse pitcher, so it probably wouldn't take long. I understand that it is really the hard throwers that need to get stretched out to make the transition to working more innings. Being the long man out of the pen, he is already conditioned to go around 3 or 4 innings.

At any rate, I would take D.J. as a fifth starter any day, wouldn't you?

Craig Grebeck
04-28-2009, 08:31 AM
At any rate, I would take D.J. as a fifth starter any day, wouldn't you?
Nope.

Lillian
04-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Nope.

Well, I'm not surprised, coming from you.
And so what exactly is your objection to considering D.J. as a fifthe starter, in the event that we need one?

Craig Grebeck
04-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Well, I'm not surprised, coming from you.
And so what exactly is your objection to considering D.J. as a fifthe starter, in the event that we need one?
I would not take D.J. Carrasco as a fifth starter "any day." That'd be idiotic. He's shown nothing this year, and has surrendered 13 hits in ten innings pitched, while only striking out three. What am I not seeing?

I know you are often taken with reclamation projects who are either a) not good b) never were good or c) possess ridiculously inflated AAA statistics due to ballpark or something else, so I'm not surprised you'd be happy with Carrasco. I'd much rather let Contreras work out his kinks than give Carrasco an opportunity to be a punching bag.

russ99
04-28-2009, 11:41 AM
I would not take D.J. Carrasco as a fifth starter "any day." That'd be idiotic. He's shown nothing this year, and has surrendered 13 hits in ten innings pitched, while only striking out three. What am I not seeing?

I know you are often taken with reclamation projects who are either a) not good b) never were good or c) possess ridiculously inflated AAA statistics due to ballpark or something else, so I'm not surprised you'd be happy with Carrasco. I'd much rather let Contreras work out his kinks than give Carrasco an opportunity to be a punching bag.

Clayton Richard would get first shot at starting if Contreras or any other starter couldn't go. I think Carrasco is perfect where he is, long-to-middle relief.

And if Richard couldn't hack it in the rotation, which is possible considering how bad he's looked at times this year, I'd love to see Poreda called up to get some spot starts over guys like Marquez or Broadway. He's a lot closer to ready than most think.

If the Sox can get Viz for less than his idiotic Cub-granted $4M salary, then I'd be all for it. With the setup staff we have, there's no reason to add that much salary.

Lillian
04-28-2009, 12:27 PM

First of all, he had one rough appearance, which was his first of the year, in which he pitched 3 innings. After that, he has pitched 7 1/3 innings in 5 appearances, and has given up just 6 hits, 2 walks and hasn't allowed an earned run. That's just fine.

Second of all, he was very good for us last year. His era was just under 4.00 and his whip was 1.14.

Finally, I am not recommending that Carrasco take anybody's spot in the rotation, however the likelihood of one of our starters breaking down, or simply not performing is pretty good, especially with Colon and Contreras on the staff.

Sure, I love a reclamation project, but I don't consider D.J. as such. He's a decent pitcher who can start or relieve, and has been very solid for the Sox since joining the team.

Sargeant79
04-28-2009, 01:01 PM
If the Sox can get Viz for less than his idiotic Cub-granted $4M salary, then I'd be all for it. With the setup staff we have, there's no reason to add that much salary.

FWLIW, it's actually an idiotic Rockie-granted $4M salary. The Cubs just assumed it in exchange for the priviledge of having Jason Marquis off their roster.

russ99
04-28-2009, 07:27 PM
FWLIW, it's actually an idiotic Rockie-granted $4M salary. The Cubs just assumed it in exchange for the priviledge of having Jason Marquis off their roster.

And now they have to eat that if nobody claims him on waivers? :D:

Those Cubbies, comedy gold...

soxinem1
04-28-2009, 08:43 PM
And now they have to eat that if nobody claims him on waivers? :D:

Those Cubbies, comedy gold...

I'm really curious as to why they did this? I know Hendry has overpaid and eaten some contracts as GM, but this was avoidable.

It is obvious they do not want to give up David Patton, but to keep an inexperienced Rule 5 pick versus eating $4 million?

His stuff isn't that good. His minor league numbers are fair. Versus a guy who still has good stuff? Hmmm.

I'm sure they could have offered COL/CIN something to keep him so he can go to AA or AAA
where he should be, but to just dump a guy who can help you is silly.

soxfanreggie
04-29-2009, 12:55 PM
I wouldn't mind Viz back if it's as a last guy out of the pen type role and we can get him cheap. It's better than sending MacDougal, Russell, Wasserman, and Broadway up and down every other week-saving us some options on those guys.

sunofgold
04-29-2009, 09:49 PM
They gave up on Vizcaino, but they are keeping guys around like Samardzjia and Patton. And they really though Gregg would be as good as Wood? And Cotts had his career year in 2005 (thank you very much!)

Think that the Cubs will give up on Angel Guzman?

DumpJerry
05-08-2009, 06:21 PM
He's with Cleveland (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9551390/Source:-Indians-intend-to-sign-Vizcaino) now.