PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Starting pitching, hitting and bullpen all suck tonight; O's beat Sox 10-3

Frater Perdurabo
04-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Bloviate here...

thomas35forever
Relax. Wait 'til his next start.

Viva Medias B's
Discuss, boys and girls.

DaveFeelsRight
04-21-2009, 10:27 PM
I like this one so I'll post in it.

Thatguyoverthere
04-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Just win tomorrow. We have Danks going, should be good.

DaveFeelsRight
And now for a real post, the O's are coming off a 5 game skid. They had to win sometime.

SoxGirl4Life
Strangely, or not, this feels the same as the other two of Jose's starts. And I'm not really blaming him. I just see a pattern emerging.

rdwj
04-21-2009, 10:29 PM
not good - get em tomorrow

BadBobbyJenks
04-21-2009, 10:29 PM
Judging by the 3 different threads created instantly I predict an epic post game thread.
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/33118/662814-simpsons_homer_eating_popcorn_thumb.jpg

guillensdisciple
04-21-2009, 10:30 PM
This game reminded me of Nachos with cheese.

Pretty good at the beginning when it is warm.

The chips begin to get soggy and the cheese begins getting cold.

The Nachos and Cheese ends up tasting like crap.

Jose Contreras is the Nacho, and our Bullpen is the cheese.

Frater Perdurabo
04-21-2009, 10:31 PM
Well, we had our number five starter going tonight, in a game after a day off, after the Sox won a four-game series against a really tough opponent in a tough place to play. They were "due" for a letdown, just as the O's were due for a win.

At least this wasn't a close game where the Orioles bombed Jenks at the end.

At least the Sox didn't waste a good performance by anyone. It was an all-around suck-fest; one of the 60 games you're going to lose anyway.

Go win tomorrow and win the series on Thursday. It would be nice to put up some runs for Danks.

WhiteSox5187
04-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Strangely, or not, this feels the same as the other two of Jose's starts. And I'm not really blaming him. I just see a pattern emerging.
Ah this one is totally on him where as the past two could be pinned on the bullpen and lousy defense. Tonight he looked like **** and so did the whole team.

Frater Perdurabo
04-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Judging by the 3 different threads created instantly I predict an epic post game thread.
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/33118/662814-simpsons_homer_eating_popcorn_thumb.jpg

Nah. There really isn't much to complain about. The whole team just sucked tonight. Move along...

SoxGirl4Life
04-21-2009, 10:33 PM

Hmmm... i don't know.. feels kinda quiet around here..

hi im skot
04-21-2009, 10:34 PM
Well, we had our number five starter going tonight, in a game after a day off, after the Sox won a four-game series against a really tough opponent in a tough place to play. They were "due" for a letdown, just as the O's were due for a win.

At least this wasn't a close game where the Orioles bombed Jenks at the end.

At least the Sox didn't waste a good performance by anyone. It was an all-around suck-fest; one of the 60 games you're going to lose anyway.

Go win tomorrow and win the series on Thursday. It would be nice to put up some runs for Danks.

I have nothing to add...great post.

JB98
04-21-2009, 10:34 PM
We need Contreras to throw more strikes. Soon.

ramblinsoxfan11
04-21-2009, 10:35 PM
This game reminded me of Nachos with cheese.

Pretty good at the beginning when it is warm.

The chips begin to get soggy and the cheese begins getting cold.

The Nachos and Cheese ends up tasting like crap.

Jose Contreras is the Nacho, and our Bullpen is the cheese.

And the O's were the jalapeno peppers; seemed like a good idea before you began eating the nachos, then a few innings later making your stomach hurt and by the end of the game you feel so sick that you end up being on the toilet for about a half hour.

I don't handle spicy foods well...or the sox losing

Boondock Saint
04-21-2009, 10:38 PM
That one just flat out sucked.

Woofer
04-21-2009, 10:43 PM
And the O's were the jalapeno peppers; seemed like a good idea before you began eating the nachos, then a few innings later making your stomach hurt and by the end of the game you feel so sick that you end up being on the toilet for about a half hour.

I don't handle spicy foods well...or the sox losing

Both myself and my youngest son were stricken with a mystery stomach ailment on Sun/Mon. Kind of reminds me of tonights game.

It was obvious that Contreras was struggling, I think that Ozzie left him in a little long hoping that our offense would take over and get him a win. Besides the fact that Contreras came back from his injury quicker than expected, he has not looked sharp so far. He has not helped the team. I was also expecting more from Clayton Richard.

drewcifer
04-21-2009, 11:09 PM
Jose can throw some strikes or Ozzie can yank him when he stops.

2 options. It's pretty simple. If it's the 6th, if you've only got 2 good innings, that's all you can expect.

Anything more - ... 0-3 and counting...

You're only in bad shape when you have NO options. We could be worse off.

Konerko05
04-21-2009, 11:20 PM
We should only call Richard up to face the Rays because it seems they are the only team he pitches well against.

Contreras needs to find his forkball fast. His arm looks healthy, but I haven't seen him throw one decent forkball this season.

The O's pitcher didn't look as good as Hawk wants everyone to believe. He had a decent moving fastball.

The Sox need to keep their head on the ball longer. They couldn't center the ball because of the late movement. Stop swinging for the fences. The homeruns will come.

AnkleSox
04-21-2009, 11:28 PM
We need Contreras to throw more strikes. Soon.

You need to be able to throw the ball at least 60 feet 6 inches to throw strikes.

chisoxfanatic
04-21-2009, 11:44 PM
It's getting old seeing the losses pile up against pitchers they've never seen before.

DonnieDarko
04-21-2009, 11:46 PM
A good caller on the postgame show tonight said that umps around the league are shrinking the strike zone, and Rongey agreed. Has anyone else noticed this?

voodoochile
04-21-2009, 11:54 PM
A good caller on the postgame show tonight said that umps around the league are shrinking the strike zone, and Rongey agreed. Has anyone else noticed this?

I've thought it's been a bit tighter this year in general. Might be MLB trying to boost scoring in the post steroid era.

palehozenychicty
04-21-2009, 11:56 PM
What Frater said. Things happen.

DonnieDarko
04-21-2009, 11:58 PM
I've thought it's been a bit tighter this year in general. Might be MLB trying to boost scoring in the post steroid era.

Yeah, that's what Rongey said, and I can't help but to agree, if that's the case. I don't know why else they'd be doing it. I really, really don't like it; the strikezone of last year was tighter than the rules called for. Now it's even tighter? Hell, there's already more than enough scoring going on around the league, we don't need to make these games any longer.

drewcifer
04-21-2009, 11:59 PM

Bull****. I hear Rob Dibble spouting the same **** because he got a job with the NATs, making same excuses.

Mixing eye levels, speeds, etc. has ALWAYS worked. Jose wants to throw low EVERY ****ING PITCH, catch up on counts with his cutter, then throw his 3 foot in front of the plate fork and expect results.

No. Everyone has seen that. I'm pretty sure if he's worked a 2-2 or worse, it's a take sign across both leagues by now if no spin.

voodoochile
04-22-2009, 12:01 AM
Bull****. I hear Rob Dibble spouting the same **** because he got a job with the NATs, making same excuses.

Mixing eye levels, speeds, etc. has ALWAYS worked. Jose wants to throw low EVERY ****ING PITCH, catch up on counts with his cutter, then throw his 3 foot in front of the plate fork and expect results.

No. Everyone has seen that.

Oh I agree - so far the fault lies with Jose and it will continue to do so. So long as the strikezone is consistent, it doesn't matter. I'm not blaming any strikezone for any win or loss the Sox have suffered, just having a conversation on whether the strikezone is tighter this year and the possible reasons why.

drewcifer
04-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Oh I agree - so far the fault lies with Jose and it will continue to do so. So long as the strikezone is consistent, it doesn't matter. I'm not blaming any strikezone for any win or loss the Sox have suffered, just having a conversation on whether the strikezone is tighter this year and the possible reasons why.

I don't see it. Umps will always give defense the benefit (be it pitches, throw downs, covers) as long as the ball is where it's supposed to be. I love that, and that is baseball the way it should be.

But sorry fellas - I don't see anything tighter in the last 2 weeks, or 2 years for that matter, when it comes to strike zone.

Stats don't support such a thing either.

All the hits are strikes.

DonnieDarko
04-22-2009, 12:13 AM
Yeah, wasn't blaming the strikezone on our loss tonight. Just seeing stuff around the league and it's making me wonder. Likely explains the sky high ERA and high amounts of walks we've seen thusfar, league-wide.

SOXfnNlansing
04-22-2009, 06:02 AM
Hopefully we win one at Baltimore and come home to a nice homestand.

DonnieDarko
04-22-2009, 07:08 AM
Well, we got Danks on the mound. I don't have the splits on Sox players on Guthire, but he's supposedly a good pitcher. So we've hopefully got a competitive game today. As for the homestand...urgh, we're going to be facing a Jays team that's been doing pretty damned well lately. Hopefully the homefield advantage will mitigate some of that, but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking that it's going to be easy in any way.

And hey, we're still in first place. o_O A three-way tie with Detroit (how the HELL has their pitching staff suddenly awakened?) and KC.

Rohan
04-22-2009, 07:12 AM
win a series, lose a game, win that series, lose another game, win THAT series, lose a game..
I'll take it.
Get better Jose.

doublem23
04-22-2009, 08:11 AM
The Sox have hit Guthrie pretty well over the years...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/p-pvb.cgi?n1=guthrje01#choice=&bats=&minPA2=0&year_game=career&opp_id=CHW&orderby=PA&orderbyb=Name&minPA=0&orderbydir=DESC&orderbydirb=ASC&n1=guthrje01&as=pitcher

asindc
04-22-2009, 08:29 AM
Well, Jose has traditionally been a slow starter, so maybe this is part of it. He should be finding the plate much better than last night, though. He threw some pitches like he had no idea where they would end up. Someone posted in the game thread last night that it is better for him to groove some pitches to their weak hitters than to walk them in front of Roberts, Markakis, and Huff. I agree with that.

Let's get 'em tonight.

PhillipsBubba
04-22-2009, 10:30 AM
I'll wait til Memorial Day to comment on where I think this team is headed:scratch:

Gammons Peter
04-22-2009, 11:55 AM
The Sox have hit Guthrie pretty well over the years...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/p-pvb.cgi?n1=guthrje01#choice=&bats=&minPA2=0&year_game=career&opp_id=CHW&orderby=PA&orderbyb=Name&minPA=0&orderbydir=DESC&orderbydirb=ASC&n1=guthrje01&as=pitcher

looks to me like we've hardly faced him....1 guy with 10 at bats, 2 guys with 8 AB's and the rest of the team has either 1 or 2 AB's or have never seen him

chisox77
04-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Camden Yards sure is a nice looking ballpark . . .