PDA

View Full Version : Kannapolis' pitching staff

rdivaldi
04-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Okay, I wasn't going to bring it up because of a fear of jinxing them. But, through 11 games they had a team ERA of 1.27 and a WHIP of 0.88. That doesn't include the 5 innings of shutout 2 hit ball that they've pitched in today's nightcap so far.

That's pretty amazing.

DirtySox
04-20-2009, 10:28 PM
They have been fun to keep track of.

All our worthwhile starting pitching prospects seem to be at that level. IE: Carter, Hudson, Infante. I'm really hoping they develop into capable players as the systems pitching depth is pretty terrible.

DirtySox
04-20-2009, 10:32 PM
Infante named South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Week (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090420&content_id=566533&vkey=news_t487&fext=.jsp&sid=t487)

rdivaldi
04-20-2009, 10:44 PM
They have been fun to keep track of.

All our worthwhile starting pitching prospects seem to be at that level. IE: Carter, Hudson, Infante. I'm really hoping they develop into capable players as the systems pitching depth is pretty terrible.

The only thing that tempers my enthusiasm over that staff is their ages. Hard to get overly excited over 22 year olds pitching at low-A.

But I wouldn't say that our pitching depth is "terrible". We have some good arms in Russell and Egbert in AAA, and some good potential in Poreda, Harrell and Ely in AA and Carter in adv-A.

DirtySox
04-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Aside from Poreda I'm not too enthusiastic about the AAA and AA pitchers. I am optimistic about Ely though.

Rookie ball should be interesting once it begins. I really like Upchurch.

Britt Burns
04-20-2009, 11:32 PM
This is the first time in a long time when our top-tier positional prospects far outnumber our pitching prospects. It will be interesting to see where the Sox go with the draft in June, especially with our two extra picks for OC...

EMachine10
04-21-2009, 12:17 AM
This is the first time in a long time when our top-tier positional prospects far outnumber our pitching prospects. It will be interesting to see where the Sox go with the draft in June, especially with our two extra picks for OC...
Since we have some positional players who we pretty high on at multiple positions, I would have to think the Sox would be looking at pitching for the first few picks. I have always been, however, an advocate of best player available. It would be nice to take a chance on a high upside arm, though, not the Broadways or McCulloughs of the draft.

cws05champ
04-21-2009, 07:31 AM
Aside from Poreda I'm not too enthusiastic about the AAA and AA pitchers. I am optimistic about Ely though.

Rookie ball should be interesting once it begins. I really like Upchurch.
Don't forget about Jon Link....Even though he's a releiver he looks like he could help the big club soon(maybe MacDougal's replacement).