PDA

View Full Version : Rangers' manager gets dreaded "vote of confidence"

Frater Perdurabo
04-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Texas Rangers officials have given Manager Ron Washington the dreaded vote of confidence (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/baseball/rangers/stories/042109dnsporanglede.f48f2961.html). Other reports suggest he's on the hot seat.

The Rangers have started the season 5-7.

My question is this: To what extent is the field manager responsible for dreadful pitching?

The Rangers have always had good hitting, adequate defense, and lousy pitching. Not even Don Cooper could fix their pitching problems. It's their GM who traded Jon Danks for Brandon McCarthy. It's their former GM and current owner who signed Chan Ho Park, who hamstrung the team's finances and forced them to trade A-Rod (and pay part of his salary) for Soriano, who then traded Soriano for Brad Wilkerson. They alienated Kenny Rogers (before he assaulted the TV cameraman), who had loved pitching for the Rangers and actually had success doing so. I could go on, but you get the point: The Rangers have a long history of being pitching-inept. So how and why is that the field manager's fault? Put another way, how would any other manager fix their inabilty to pitch? Nolan Ryan may be a pitching genius, but how will getting a new manager make them pitch better?

Discuss...

PKalltheway
04-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Easy. Fire the manager and the pitching coach. :tongue:

Seriously though, what does the Rangers' farm system look like as far as pitchers go? I know about losing Danks, and I know about them losing Edinson Volquez (though they did get Josh Hamilton in return). But do they have any decent pitching in their minors? Maybe that will solve their pitching woes in the future if they do....

Otherwise, it's as the saying goes, it's easier to fire one guy than to fire 25, and I don't think it's Washington's fault at all that they don't have any pitching. Managers get too much credit when a team wins, and too much blame when a team loses anyway. If a coach had to be fired though, it would be the pitching coach more than anything.

The field manager is responsible for handling the pitching staff, but when they all stink, what can you do? Firing the manager would be like putting a band-aid on a bullet wound.

Tragg
04-20-2009, 09:32 PM
I think that the Rangers have a couple of good pitching prospects.
If I were them, I'd have been more aggressive in trading one of the 2 catchers they have: either Salty or Teargarden; then I would have kept Laird who had minimal market value, as a backup.
Salty or Tear would have yielded a really nice return from anyone wanting a young catcher.
They could still win the West. That division looks even if the Angels stay out of synch.

The Rangers also play lousy defense. That doesn't help their suspect pitching.

I think Washington is a decent manager.

You have to wonder what the point of Andruw Jones on this team was.

Thatguyoverthere
04-20-2009, 09:35 PM
I read in SI that the Rangers have two young studs in the minors. If they pan out the Rangers could be a very dangerous team with the offense they always have.

palehozenychicty
04-20-2009, 10:28 PM
They need to change their pitching culture, that's for sure. I think that sinkerballers can be successful on that field. It's unfortunate that Washington has no real support from anyone up top. He waited a long, long time for his opportunity, and got a ****ty one. I consider them the Rockies of the AL, where the weather affects their play so much it's nearly impossible to win consistently. That infield is so hard from all the nasty, scorching heat. If there's a franchise that needs a retractable roof, it's this one.

Hell, even when the Rox made the World Series two years ago, they had quality starting pitching. You can only score so many touchdowns. I know that's what Buddy Ryan said about Cris Carter. :D:

JB98
04-21-2009, 01:48 AM
They need to change their pitching culture, that's for sure. I think that sinkerballers can be successful on that field. It's unfortunate that Washington has no real support from anyone up top. He waited a long, long time for his opportunity, and got a ****ty one. I consider them the Rockies of the AL, where the weather affects their play so much it's nearly impossible to win consistently. That infield is so hard from all the nasty, scorching heat. If there's a franchise that needs a retractable roof, it's this one.

Hell, even when the Rox made the World Series two years ago, they had quality starting pitching. You can only score so many touchdowns. I know that's what Buddy Ryan said about Cris Carter. :D:

The two sentences I bolded caught my attention. The Sox normally get pounded in Texas because Cooper's philosophy is to pitch to contact. The Rangers put the ball in play, and everything seems to get by our fielders on that fast track they call an infield.

Not sure you can win there with sinkerballers. Too many grounders with eyes. Of course, fly ball pitchers will give up HRs in that stadium (see Millwood, Kevin).

Truthfully, I don't know how you build a successful pitching staff for a place like Texas. I'm glad it's not my problem.

jabrch
04-21-2009, 02:22 AM
Truthfully, I don't know how you build a successful pitching staff for a place like Texas. I'm glad it's not my problem.

I think the best way to assemble a pitching staff in that park is to hit the ball really well. (low Ks and solid contact) Pitching there won't be easy no matter what you throw and you aren't likely to ever get a great FA pitcher without overpaying or taking a major risk.

Frater Perdurabo
04-21-2009, 06:09 AM
Well, one thing you definitely do not want in Arlington is fly ball pitchers. Kenny Rogers had success as a LH ground ball pitcher. That makes it all the more puzzling why they traded Danks for McCarthy. (Glad they did, though!)

If you're going to have ground ball pitchers, though, you also need really good infield defense.

Michael Young has a strong arm and makes all the plays on the balls he can reach, but he just doesn't have the range to get to many balls. That's part of the reason they moved him to third base.

They also need really excellent outfield defense.

cws05champ
04-21-2009, 07:39 AM
I read in SI that the Rangers have two young studs in the minors. If they pan out the Rangers could be a very dangerous team with the offense they always have.
Yes, RHP Neftali Feliz and LHP Derek Holland, both guys can gas it up at least 97mph and have a some decent secondary pitches. Both are very highly rated by Baseball america around 10th and 37th overall in their top 100 of all prospects in baseball. Tiese guys are what the Rangers need to build their staff, power strike out pitchers that keep the ball from going in play.

They are only 5-7, why would they consider firing him right now? When I looked at the rotation the Rangers started with on opening day I just went...eeewwww. Millwood, Padilla, Benson, McCarthy, Harrison

thedudeabides
04-21-2009, 09:50 AM
I think they need to start by looking at their scouting philosophies. Right now, they could have Danks, Volquez, and Armando Galarraga in their starting rotation. The only pitcher of note they received in those trades was Brandon McCarthy. Now, those guys may not have developed as well as they have with their respective teams, but they are all guys capable of striking batters out and keeping the ball in the yard. That would be a pretty good young core of starting pitching.

palehozenychicty
04-21-2009, 01:05 PM
The two sentences I bolded caught my attention. The Sox normally get pounded in Texas because Cooper's philosophy is to pitch to contact. The Rangers put the ball in play, and everything seems to get by our fielders on that fast track they call an infield.

Not sure you can win there with sinkerballers. Too many grounders with eyes. Of course, fly ball pitchers will give up HRs in that stadium (see Millwood, Kevin).

I buy your statement. I don't know which one is the lesser of two evils. I just threw out the sinkerballers for a debate. They should've just built a venue with a retractable roof. The elements are too strong for pitchers. I'm glad it ain't my problem either. :D:

palehozenychicty
04-21-2009, 01:31 PM
I think they need to start by looking at their scouting philosophies. Right now, they could have Danks, Volquez, and Armando Galarraga in their starting rotation. The only pitcher of note they received in those trades was Brandon McCarthy. Now, those guys may not have developed as well as they have with their respective teams, but they are all guys capable of striking batters out and keeping the ball in the yard. That would be a pretty good young core of starting pitching.

It's also a good idea. Daniels has been terrible. He got a possible wash with Hamilton/Volquez, but if you need pitching, shouldn't you keep it? :scratch: