PDA

View Full Version : The Star Spangled Banner

madisonsoxfan
04-20-2009, 12:25 AM
I can't recall how long this has been the case... but why don't the Sox broadcast the Star Spangled Banner? Not radio. Not TV. To me, it starts the game... Brewers (radio) do it, Hawks do it(at least home TV games... I just got Center Ice), Cubs do it... why would they drop it?

edit: and, for curiosities sake, when it was dropped... Local broadcasts for me stopped in 1991 and I found mlb extra innings in 2006.

anewman35
04-20-2009, 09:35 AM
I can't recall how long this has been the case... but why don't the Sox broadcast the Star Spangled Banner? Not radio. Not TV. To me, it starts the game... Brewers (radio) do it, Hawks do it(at least home TV games... I just got Center Ice), Cubs do it... why would they drop it?

edit: and, for curiosities sake, when it was dropped... Local broadcasts for me stopped in 1991 and I found mlb extra innings in 2006.

I could be wrong, but I don't recall ever seeing the Sox broadcast it on tv or radio, at least not on any sort of regular basis. As to why, I have no idea. I can personally say that I couldn't care less either way (as opposed to when they broadcast "God Bless America", which I do have very strong feelings about, but to avoid a flame war I probably shouldn't go into them).

esbrechtel
04-20-2009, 09:51 AM
I think the hawks do it because of the tradtion of cheering during the anthem....

I never remember the Sox doing it....but I am also fairly young so I wouldn't be the expert on whether they have ever done it...

Rohan
04-20-2009, 09:55 AM
I've never actually thought about this...
But as with any business decision, i assume it's because the Sox are able to fit in more Ad's during the time it takes to broadcast the Star Spangled Banner. If they start broadcasting the Star Spangled Banner, they lose revenue.
I do wish they would broadcast the Star Spangled Banner though.

kittle42
04-20-2009, 10:39 AM
But as with any business decision, i assume it's because the Sox are able to fit in more Ad's during the time it takes to broadcast the Star Spangled Banner. If they start broadcasting the Star Spangled Banner, they lose revenue.

Now *that* is true America! Go, Sox!

downstairs
04-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Now *that* is true America! Go, Sox!

I doubt any team broadcasts it, for the same reason. Any time I've seen any local broadcast, I don't remember seeing it.

Except maybe the Yankees, for all their self-important reasons.

HomeFish
04-20-2009, 11:19 AM
The national anthem is frequently sung by recording artists who have signed with a record label. Perhaps there are legal issues involved in broadcasting a performance of such an artist?

madisonsoxfan
04-20-2009, 11:49 AM
hmmm... perhaps my memories are incorrect about the Sox broadcasting the anthem. :?: I have a tape of the last game at Comiskey that I believe has the anthem, but that wasn't a normal game broadcast.

Oh well, it's something I'd like to see, but I've somehow managed without it. :tongue:

Go Sox!

DannyCaterFan
04-20-2009, 12:51 PM
If my memory is correct, we stopped seeing the National Anthem on TV during Sox games, sometime during the Eighties. Before then, the Anthem would be played immediately following the players taking the field, or just before the first pitch. Nowadays, the Anthem is usually played about ten minutes before first pitch, or way before player introductions, etc.
What I would like to see on TV is the opening montage, with music and player introductions like you see at the ballpark.

Rohan
04-20-2009, 12:54 PM
The national anthem is frequently sung by recording artists who have signed with a record label. Perhaps there are legal issues involved in broadcasting a performance of such an artist?

I would think that most musicians would welcome the additional publicity with open arms. I doubt that there is any legal stipulation at play in any star spangled banner decision.

KenBerryGrab
04-20-2009, 01:31 PM
What I would like to see on TV is the opening montage, with music and player introductions like you see at the ballpark.

WGN will often play this before the Saturday evening games.

BoysMom3
04-20-2009, 02:12 PM
They played the national anthem on tv for Opening Day for the Sox. I remember because I noticed it, as you don't usually see it.

EndemicSox
04-20-2009, 02:19 PM
I've never actually thought about this...
I do wish they would broadcast the Star Spangled Banner though.

This is the answer. The ads broadcast right before the start of the game are worth quite a bit to the Sox.

jdm2662
04-20-2009, 02:27 PM
WGN will often play this before the Saturday evening games.

WGN shows it for Bulls games as well, but I don't recall CSN doing it. I think WGN does it for Cubs games, but I'm not home during the day to see if they still do. Must be a WGN thing.

Red Barchetta
04-20-2009, 02:27 PM
At the Sox-Rays game yesterday, I noticed they sang the National Anthem a good 10 minutes before the 1st pitch. I think they have pushed it back due to the advertising/television broadcast advertising costs.

I remember in the early 70s the Sox/Cubs broadcasts used to show the singing of the National Anthem after the players took the field with the players in position with their hats off. After the anthem was performed, the pitcher would take a few more warmup pitches and they would start the game.