PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie Vs. Swisher

Lip Man 1
04-19-2009, 09:52 PM
It begins:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-20-white-sox-brite-chicago-apr20,0,7250547.story

Ya gotta love Ozzie!

Lip

Sam Spade
04-19-2009, 09:56 PM
That was the greatest article I've ever read.

manders_01
04-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Can't we all just get along??? :grouphug:

mccoydp
04-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Swisher's full of ****.

Ozzie's got him figured out.

Dark Moor
04-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Sure, Ozzie may be right on this one. But in all reality, I really do appreciate Swisher's sportsmanship. I love the guy, and do believe he'd make a great addition to any ball club. His sparking personality captivated my attention when he was with the sox, and I can't imagine anything less with the Yankees.

Good for Swisher, I like the guy.

Konerko05
04-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Sure, Ozzie may be right on this one. But in all reality, I really do appreciate Swisher's sportsmanship. I love the guy, and do believe he'd make a great addition to any ball club. His sparking personality captivated my attention when he was with the sox, and I can't imagine anything less with the Yankees.

He's a baby. This was very apparent at the end of last season.

He not only sulked during a critical series against the twins, he also disrespected his teammates by storming straight into the clubhouse before the game even ended. Yeah, great clubhouse guy.

Ozzie is actually right on the money this time.

JGarlandrules20
04-19-2009, 11:25 PM
Haha. Ozzie always has to get the last word in.

BadBobbyJenks
04-19-2009, 11:30 PM
I'm disappointed, I was expecting better.

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-20-2009, 01:41 AM
Swisher's full of ****.

Ozzie's got him figured out.

I'm thinking the same thing. As much as I like Swisher, he seems to act exactly as Ozzie says in the article.

Mohoney
04-20-2009, 01:58 AM
Cue Gary Coleman.

SOXfnNlansing
04-20-2009, 03:38 AM
:whocares

Juice16
04-20-2009, 06:12 AM
I found nothing wrong with what Swisher said. Secondly, I don't think he said anything that Ozzie needed to respond to.

southside rocks
04-20-2009, 06:43 AM
I found nothing wrong with what Ozzie said. I found what Swisher said to be jibber-jabber, just like most of what he said last season until he went into his Big Sulk. :D:

I liked Swish when I saw him play for the A's, but once he got out of his comfort zone and was stressed by a new environment and new challenges, he fell apart, which was less than impressive. I'm glad KW moved him along.

TomBradley72
04-20-2009, 06:47 AM

Teal? Sparkling personality?

More like self promoting personality who starts to pout over playing time in the middle of a pennant race after hitting .190 after the All Star break. More of a politician than anything else.

Chez
04-20-2009, 07:40 AM
I wish Ozzie would simply rise above this sort of stuff. Responding to every perceived diss from any and all former players (e.g. Swisher, Maggs) reinforces the perception that Ozzie is a loose cannon and/or has a screw loose. Why does Ozzie even care that Swisher complimented Girardi?

spawn
04-20-2009, 07:53 AM
I think Ozzie is absolutely correct. Swisher is a kiss ass when things are going well. The true testament is what happens should he go on a prolonged slump and the fans and the media turn on him. Let's see what he has to say then.

esbrechtel
04-20-2009, 08:00 AM
I found nothing wrong with what Swisher said. Secondly, I don't think he said anything that Ozzie needed to respond to.

The way this stuff gets written its not because Ozzie brings it up. I am sure someone asked him what he thought of swishers comments. I am willing to be Ozzie had no idea what he was talking about. Then the reporter knowing he will probably get something good makes sure to tell ozzie what Swish said. Then he gets an article.

I agree that if you are hitting .350 everything is great. I have a feeling by the end of the season it won't stay up there....

asindc
04-20-2009, 08:36 AM
If Swisher ends up playing this year like he did last year, New York media will eat him alive.

SoxGirl4Life
04-20-2009, 08:42 AM
The way this stuff gets written its not because Ozzie brings it up. I am sure someone asked him what he thought of swishers comments. I am willing to be Ozzie had no idea what he was talking about. Then the reporter knowing he will probably get something good makes sure to tell ozzie what Swish said. Then he gets an article.

I agree that if you are hitting .350 everything is great. I have a feeling by the end of the season it won't stay up there....

I agree this was brought up to Ozzie to get a "story".

beasly213
04-20-2009, 08:46 AM
The best part is its true when Ozzie says "He comes in for a few weeks and hes best friends with everyone then when things don't go his way it's someone elses fault."

I know his antics along with Toby Halls wasn't appreciated by some of the leaders in Paulie and Dye and TCQ seemed pretty annyoed by him too. Swisher is a nice guy off the field with his chairty work and everything so I won't say anything too bad about him but in my opinion he is a bad teammate. Complaining when you get benched so someone who is playing better than you can play is selfish.

Rohan
04-20-2009, 08:58 AM

Where were you the second half of last season?

WisSoxFan
04-20-2009, 09:23 AM

That is exactly what I was thinking. To me Ozzie comes off as being paranoid, for lack of a better word, in this article. Although I'm guessing a writer asked him if heard what Swisher said and Ozzie being Ozzie responded.

veeter
04-20-2009, 09:26 AM

Good for Swisher, I like the guy.You might think differently about his personality if you spent six months with him. No fan or writer really knows these guys like their teammates and coaches. Ozzie summed it up perfectly, he's happy when things are going good. When things are going south, so does Nick.

ramblinsoxfan11
04-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Way to tell it how it is Ozzie! First half of the season last year Swisher was one of my favorite players, but by the end his poor hitting and pouting made me quickly change my mind about him. Oh well, we'll see him again late July, then we'll see how his BA is doing

areilly
04-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Aren't Swisher's comments just the stock answers everyone gives with a new team/teammate/coach/manager/agent/hot dog vendor? Anyone remember when Royce Clayton was the best shortstop Paul Konerko ever played with?

esbrechtel
04-20-2009, 09:49 AM
That is exactly what I was thinking. To me Ozzie comes off as being paranoid, for lack of a better word, in this article. Although I'm guessing a writer asked him if heard what Swisher said and Ozzie being Ozzie responded.

I would not call Ozzie paranoid at all....

Someone asked him what he thought of Nick Swishers comments. He said, "of course when you are hitting .350 everything is great"

What do you expect him to say? :dunno:

mcfish
04-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Or the only word. Swisher didn't say a damn thing about Ozzie or the White Sox that I saw in that article. I'm guessing Swish was asked how he likes Girardi and gave the answer that he's expected to give, if maybe a little over the top. Didn't say Ozzie was bad or anything.

I know Ozzie was just asked a question too, and that question might have been worded to bait a response, but there was absolutely no need for one in this case.

Iwritecode
04-20-2009, 10:09 AM
reinforces the perception that Ozzie is a loose cannon and/or has a screw loose.

I'm pretty sure he likes it that way.

GoGoCrede
04-20-2009, 10:11 AM
While I didn't care for Swisher's sulking last season, either, I don't necessarily begrudge him saying Girardi is the best manager he's played for. That's what most players say, out of respect for their current manager. He said the same thing about Ozzie last year, if I recall correctly.

But I agree that his average won't stay up there for long. My Yankees fan friend keeps gloating to me whenever Swisher homers or does something good, so it's annoying.

mcfish
04-20-2009, 10:12 AM

Someone asked him what he thought of Nick Swishers comments. He said, "of course when you are hitting .350 everything is great"

What do you expect him to say? :dunno:Nothing

russ99
04-20-2009, 10:15 AM
I wish Ozzie would simply rise above this sort of stuff. Responding to every perceived diss from any and all former players (e.g. Swisher, Maggs) reinforces the perception that Ozzie is a loose cannon and/or has a screw loose. Why does Ozzie even care that Swisher complimented Girardi?

My take as well. Ozzie's got a good team he can talk about. Why re-hash old garbage? It just makes him look petty, especially in that comment about Swisher's career.

That said, Ozzie does have a point, but why get so head up about something from last year?

RockJock07
04-20-2009, 10:24 AM

Ozzie is who he is. Mulley and Hanley this morning made a good point. Guys like Konerko, AJ, Thome, and Dye know how to deal with Ozzie's ups and downs. Swisher never could handle how Ozzie worked.

Ozzie is right however, swish was a great guy when he was hitting, then we he was benched for sucking he was a huge d-bag about it. Ozzie probably didn't need to response to anything Swisher said however that's just Ozzie.

Harry Chappas
04-20-2009, 10:26 AM
FWIW, the New York Times Sunday sports section had a little blurb that basically said the Sox got fleeced in the Swisher deal. It said the Yankees "overrated" Betemit. Sure, nothing like evaluating a trade after 14 games. Let's see how this trade looks in a couple of years.

Also, I think Swisher knew he would be needling Ozzie by declaring Girardi the "best" manager. He's clearly still pissed about warming the bench in last year's stretch run.

daveeym
04-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Ozzie's the biggest bitch I've ever seen. He knows the game, swisher does to, but yet when people leave and play the game and say the milque toast responses ozzie has to ****ing comment. I haven't bought into any of this and have liked ozzie, but things such as GIGs etc actually are starting to make sense. Ozzie is the pettiest coach i've seen in chicago in 30 years. Which is too bad because i like his baseball sense.

ewokpelts
04-20-2009, 10:29 AM
They should both focus on their current ballclubs and forget about each other.

That said, we'll see how long swisher likes Girardi as his manager.

doublem23
Nothing

I think by now we should realize that's just not the way Ozzie works. It's not like he walked into a room full of reporters and threw down with a "Let me tell you some **** about Nick Swisher!" I'm sure he was sitting there when some douche reporter asked him about Swisher's comments. They know they can bait him because he has a big mouth.

This is pretty tame compared to Ozzie's past blow-ups.

BTW, I will take bets as to which manager gets fired first. The opening line is Girardi at 1,000,000 to 1.

daveeym
Ozzie is who he is. Mulley and Hanley this morning made a good point. Guys like Konerko, AJ, Thome, and Dye know how to deal with Ozzie's ups and downs. Swisher never could handle how Ozzie worked.

Ozzie is right however, swish was a great guy when he was hitting, then we he was benched for sucking he was a huge d-bag about it. Ozzie probably didn't need to response to anything Swisher said however that's just Ozzie.
Who's right? Sorry if not for 05 ozzie would be run out of here by now. That **** just fell in his lap. I'm an ozzie fan but it's been a regular occurrence now. Anytime anyone leaves and makes the typical kiss ass comment ozzie needs to pick a fight. I guarentee if you look up quotes from OG when he's bounced around he's kissed his new employers ass as well. There was no reason to rip mags, thomas, or swish, ozzie's just a nut when it comes down to it.

daveeym
04-20-2009, 10:31 AM
I think by now we should realize that's just not the way Ozzie works. It's not like he walked into a room full of reporters and threw down with a "Let me tell you some **** about Nick Swisher!" I'm sure he was sitting there when some douche reporter asked him about Swisher's comments. They know they can bait him because he has a big mouth.

This is pretty tame compared to Ozzie's past blow-ups.

BTW, I will take bets as to which manager gets fired first. The opening line is Girardi at 1,000,000 to 1. You know what, being baited by the media isn't an excuse. Swish didn't fed ex his comments to ozzie, he shouldnt' take it so personally.

voodoochile
04-20-2009, 10:36 AM

Exactly it also works well to keep pressure off the players. When's the last time the Sox were under pressure and a reporter went to a player to interview? That's the kind of stuff that leads to problems. Let Ozzie deal with the press. Let the players go do their thing.

I also believe Ozzie's blunt honesty works well with most players.

UofCSoxFan
04-20-2009, 10:38 AM
While I think Ozzie is right, why can't we ever take the high road? What do we care what a player we didn't want thinks about us? Its not too shocking that Swisher is happier where he is wanted.

This is like dumping a girlfriend you dated for 3 months and then being pissed when she tells her new boyfriend that she's happier with him. It's insane. Just move on. Swisher is having a good year so far on a team that stinks so far. The Sox are in first place.

I think the Sox have a great organization but one thing I wish they would do better is resist the need to trash most players once they leave.

guillensdisciple
04-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Ozzie's the biggest bitch I've ever seen. He knows the game, swisher does to, but yet when people leave and play the game and say the milque toast responses ozzie has to ****ing comment. I haven't bought into any of this and have liked ozzie, but things such as GIGs etc actually are starting to make sense. Ozzie is the pettiest coach i've seen in chicago in 30 years. Which is too bad because i like his baseball sense.

Him saying it how it is makes him a bitch? He is honest to a fault, and honesty is something that most people should accept. I prefer a coach who states whatever he wants, then one who is silent about everything.
He spoke the truth, right now everyone is happy, and Swisher is the darling of the world. I am pretty sure that prior to him hitting well this season, he was complaining about having to split starting duties in the Yankees lineup. Imagine if he had gotten off to a bad start; he would have probably had the same reaction he had with us.
Everything is fundamental, give him time until he finds a problem with the way things are done.

asindc
04-20-2009, 10:40 AM

I agree 100%. I'm surprised that any Sox fan at this point doesn't realize that this is all by design.

WisSoxFan
04-20-2009, 10:41 AM

What do you expect him to say? :dunno:

I'm not sure paranoid was the word I'm looking for, but for all Ozzie's bravado there is an underlying need for reassurance.

He could have simply said "no comment."

daveeym
04-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Him saying it how it is makes him a bitch? He is honest to a fault, and honesty is something that most people should accept. I prefer a coach who states whatever he wants, then one who is silent about everything.
He spoke the truth, right now everyone is happy, and Swisher is the darling of the world. I am pretty sure that prior to him hitting well this season, he was complaining about having to split starting duties in the Yankees lineup. Imagine if he had gotten off to a bad start; he would have probably had the same reaction he had with us.
Everything is fundamental, give him time until he finds a problem with the way things are done.I prefer honesty, but to the extent Ozzie takes it it's no longer honesty it's sour grapes. Everyone that leaves and then says the basics doesn't need to be ripped and turned into a personal slight by Ozzie. None of these guys have attacked Ozzie. Ozzie has gone out of his way to attack them. As I said, he's been there before and I'm sure kissed his new teams ass. It's not a personal slight. Ozzie's a petty bitch when it comes down to it. And sorry I like Ozzie but I'm not going to ignore his shortcomings.

doublem23
04-20-2009, 11:28 AM
The Ozzie/Magglio stuff has moved moved here: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111132

This thread is reopened for anyone who wanted to talk about the Swisher/Ozzie war of words. Have fun. :tiphat:

Frankfan4life
04-20-2009, 12:48 PM
It's too bad Ozzie didn't think about letting Swisher pitch during one of our blow-out games last year. Letting Swisher pitch during the Cleveland/NYY laugher obviously boosted Giardi's stock quite a bit. Getting your share of publicity as a Yankee is not easy especially when you're competing with media magnets like Jeter and ARod. Swisher is a ham and likes being the center of attention and he got the lion's share of it when he was asked to pitch.

Jenks4Prez
04-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Nick Swisher is a tool.

all*star quentin
04-20-2009, 12:52 PM
I prefer honesty, but to the extent Ozzie takes it it's no longer honesty it's sour grapes. Everyone that leaves and then says the basics doesn't need to be ripped and turned into a personal slight by Ozzie. None of these guys have attacked Ozzie. Ozzie has gone out of his way to attack them. As I said, he's been there before and I'm sure kissed his new teams ass. It's not a personal slight. Ozzie's a petty bitch when it comes down to it. And sorry I like Ozzie but I'm not going to ignore his shortcomings.

I agree with your opinion of Ozzie.

IMO the most classless manager in Chicago :redface:

voodoochile
04-20-2009, 12:55 PM

How many fans of the other teams would trade a little bit of class for a world championship?

oeo
04-20-2009, 12:59 PM

I think it has a lot to do with Ozzie just wanting to vent about Swisher. Although it seems to be bad timing, he got an opportunity and he let loose.

Ozzie is 100% right on Swisher. I mentioned it yesterday in another thread..."it's all about the team" with Swisher until something happens that makes him unhappy. In our case, it was sucking ass for the majority of the year.

I don't think he's going to last in New York. Once he gets into one of his prolonged slumps, he will hear the boos, the boos will get into his head, he will start sucking more, he will get benched, and then he'll be moping around asking why no one loves him again. Then he'll get moved to a new city, he will go there and say, "<insert team name's city here> is the greatest city in the world. The fans are great, I'm just so excited, man. <insert manager's name here> is the best manager I have ever played for. He's just great, man."

Sorry, I liked Swisher, but if he's not scripted, I don't know who is.

SoxGirl4Life
04-20-2009, 12:59 PM
It's too bad Ozzie didn't think about letting Swisher pitch during one of our blow-out games last year. Letting Swisher pitch during the Cleveland/NYY laugher obviously boosted Giardi's stock quite a bit. Getting your share of publicity as a Yankee is not easy especially when you're competing with media magnets like Jeter and ARod. Swisher is a ham and likes being the center of attention and he got the lion's share of it when he was asked to pitch.

This is a joke, right?

Frankfan4life
04-20-2009, 01:25 PM
This is a joke, right?No -- however, it was meant to be sarcastic. Obviously Ozzie didn't pander to Swisher's need to be the center of attention. If he had, perhaps, Ozzie might have received some praise from Swisher for his "excellent" managerial skills.

soxinem1
04-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Maybe Swish is trying to get more time on the mound from Girardi!!!!:smile:

SoxGirl4Life
04-20-2009, 02:52 PM
No -- however, it was meant to be sarcastic. Obviously Ozzie didn't pander to Swisher's need to be the center of attention. If he had, perhaps, Ozzie might have received some praise from Swisher for his "excellent" managerial skills.

Ok, that makes more sense. I was worried there for a minute

mcfish
04-20-2009, 03:05 PM
I think it has a lot to do with Ozzie just wanting to vent about Swisher. Although it seems to be bad timing, he got an opportunity and he let loose.

Ozzie is 100% right on Swisher. I mentioned it yesterday in another thread..."it's all about the team" with Swisher until something happens that makes him unhappy. In our case, it was sucking ass for the majority of the year.

I don't think he's going to last in New York. Once he gets into one of his prolonged slumps, he will hear the boos, the boos will get into his head, he will start sucking more, he will get benched, and then he'll be moping around asking why no one loves him again. Then he'll get moved to a new city, he will go there and say, "<insert team name's city here> is the greatest city in the world. The fans are great, I'm just so excited, man. <insert manager's name here> is the best manager I have ever played for. He's just great, man."

Sorry, I liked Swisher, but if he's not scripted, I don't know who is.
I don't disagree with any of this. My only problem is that Swish didn't say anything about Ozzie or the White Sox. He gave a scripted "my boss is great" answer to a question. No reason for Ozzie to go from that to all the things he said in _____. (I would put "response" there, but there was nothing he was "responding" to - that's the whole problem.)

Konerko05
04-20-2009, 03:10 PM
I don't disagree with any of this. My only problem is that Swish didn't say anything about Ozzie or the White Sox. He gave a scripted "my boss is great" answer to a question. No reason for Ozzie to go from that to all the things he said in _____. (I would put "response" there, but there was nothing he was "responding" to - that's the whole problem.)

Ozzie was probably just more annoyed than anything. Swisher's comments about Girardi are even annoying to me, so a minor reaction from Guillen shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Guillen's reaction was fairly tame, and I actually agree with him. I'm not sure why some people are so upset about this.

ramblinsoxfan11
04-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Nick Swisher is a tool.

:rolling:

Red Barchetta
04-20-2009, 03:19 PM
I don't think Swisher's comments were directed at Ozzie, however in his defense If I was .245 career hitter and I'm now batting .333, I would think Joe Gerardi is the best manager ever as well! :D:

Let's see what he has to say come September...

Ron Karkovice
04-20-2009, 05:17 PM
I admit that Swisher was terrible with the Sox last year. However, I always thought he was a respectibly above average player with Oakland.

Well, now that i look at the stats, his BA has been consistently below average. The other numbers aren't bad though.

daveeym
04-20-2009, 06:54 PM

Nick Swisher is a tool.

This is the point, I agree with both of these comments. It doesn't make me want ozzie to go, I just wish he'd bite his tongue. Swisher is gone, we knew he was a tool last year. There's no reason for OG to pick a fight. OG is established now, there's no need to bite at all the bait thrown his way. Especially 10 games into the season, regarding a non-sox issue, from a guy that's the biggest cheerleader ever. OG has a napolean complex, plain and simple.

How many fans of the other teams would trade a little bit of class for a world championship? I know bias is in the header of this site, but this is why people feel the need to throw GIG about. "Is that you're only response" in that case______ (insert you're an idiot, stupid or ozzie hater)

JB98
04-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Ozzie isn't ever going to stop taking the bait. He's an outspoken person. That's who he is.

Swisher sucks. I don't care what he thinks. Neither should Ozzie, but he just can't resist commenting.

voodoochile
04-20-2009, 07:40 PM
This is the point, I agree with both of these comments. It doesn't make me want ozzie to go, I just wish he'd bite his tongue. Swisher is gone, we knew he was a tool last year. There's no reason for OG to pick a fight. OG is established now, there's no need to bite at all the bait thrown his way. Especially 10 games into the season, regarding a non-sox issue, from a guy that's the biggest cheerleader ever. OG has a napolean complex, plain and simple.

I know bias is in the header of this site, but this is why people feel the need to throw GIG about. "Is that you're only response" in that case______ (insert you're an idiot, stupid or ozzie hater)

"Winning isn't everything... it's the only thing."

That goes double in sports and triple in pro sports where fans pay massive amounts of money to root root root for the home team. Ozzie's done a LOT more winning than he's done losing. In addition he's done things no other manager has done in 90+ years and then only one other time in the history of the franchise.

So...

If someone's going to come at me with some weak ass crap about how Ozzie is the most classless manager in Chicago, I'm gonna remind them that class is nice, but winning is what matters. Ditka wasn't a real classy guy but managed to restore pride to the Bears fan base. Phil was a classy guy, but his team was a little rough around the edges.

In truth, I like Ozzie's honesty. It's not every day you see people in the spotlight speak from their heart and tell it like they think it is. Most of them are too busy covering their collective asses. I'll take Ozzie and the winning and let other people worry about whether he's too rough for primetime...

TDog
04-20-2009, 08:18 PM

In truth, I like Ozzie's honesty. It's not every day you see people in the spotlight speak from their heart and tell it like they think it is. Most of them are too busy covering their collective asses. I'll take Ozzie and the winning and let other people worry about whether he's too rough for primetime...

While there are some genuinely classy people in sports (Hank Aaron and Harold Baines come to mind), the label is often applied to people whose true character borders on sleazy hypocrisy. I too like Guillen's honesty. I like Guillen. I'm sure many of the writers who cover him do. I wouldn't respect Guillen at all, however, if he put on a "classy" act for public consumption.

chisox77
04-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Thing is, I like Swisher. His comments only concerned the Yankees and Girardi. But Ozzie will always respond to something that he believes is disrespectful. He may have a point. In all, it makes for good copy, generates some discussion, and eventually passes . . .

Eddo144
04-20-2009, 09:20 PM
What I don't get is the hypocrisy here. Ozzie is "honest", and we wouldn't have him any other way. At the same time, Swisher was honest last year when he expressed how he was upset at the end of the season, and he's considered a "tool" and a head case.

Neither party is right here. Swisher made a politically correct comment that 99% of all players would make (that his current team/manager/city is his best). Ozzie overreacted a bit. At the same time, Swisher should have handled himself better last season.

Just don't praise Ozzie for his expressing his true feelings while simultaneously bashing Swisher for it.

munchman33
04-20-2009, 09:26 PM
Ugh.

I hate that Ozzie did this. Of course what Ozzie said was the truth. But Swisher's still a media darling and a fan favorite. I mean, the guy **** his pants all year and was the most popular guy on the team despite never being much help. Ozzie should have just let this go. It's only going to give the Swisher apologists fuel to their insane belief that career .240 hitter Nick Swisher hit .240 last year instead of .340 because of Ozzie Guillen.

Taliesinrk
04-20-2009, 11:57 PM
What I don't get is the hypocrisy here. Ozzie is "honest", and we wouldn't have him any other way. At the same time, Swisher was honest last year when he expressed how he was upset at the end of the season, and he's considered a "tool" and a head case.

Neither party is right here. Swisher made a politically correct comment that 99% of all players would make (that his current team/manager/city is his best). Ozzie overreacted a bit. At the same time, Swisher should have handled himself better last season.

Just don't praise Ozzie for his expressing his true feelings while simultaneously bashing Swisher for it.

Ozzie is a manager. Swisher is a player. As a player, you answer to the manager (hence his name). If you have a problem with his decisions, you shut up and don't question him in front of other teammates or the public. If necessary, you speak with him in private regarding the situation, and if you don't like his decision you play out your contract (or in this case wait until you're traded a couple months later).

Bottom line is that these situations are far from different.

JB98
04-21-2009, 01:03 AM
Ugh.

I hate that Ozzie did this. Of course what Ozzie said was the truth. But Swisher's still a media darling and a fan favorite. I mean, the guy **** his pants all year and was the most popular guy on the team despite never being much help. Ozzie should have just let this go. It's only going to give the Swisher apologists fuel to their insane belief that career .240 hitter Nick Swisher hit .240 last year instead of .340 because of Ozzie Guillen.

Career .240 hitter Nick Swisher hit .219 last year. Don't give him more credit than he deserves.

southside rocks
04-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Ugh.

Swisher was the most popular guy on the team??

Did the Sox players answer a poll, or how do we know that? Because I don't think it's true.

Swisher was one of the most visible and vocal guys on the team, but did that make him popular with his teammates? From what I have read, it did not. And his end-of-season whiny baby act really didn't play well -- not just with the manager and coaches, but with teammates.

And yeah, I think we'd all have been happier if Swisher actually had managed to hit .240 last year.

Swish to me sounds like a 9-year old who LOVES his 4th grade teacher the second week of school, she is the NICEST teacher EVER, and not until she marks him down for not doing his homework will he change his tune about her. *****, it's April 21, let's see how Girardi and Swish get along as the season progresses and the Yankees are not dominating the division, the league and the world. :rolleyes:

Eddo144
04-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Ozzie is a manager. Swisher is a player. As a player, you answer to the manager (hence his name). If you have a problem with his decisions, you shut up and don't question him in front of other teammates or the public. If necessary, you speak with him in private regarding the situation, and if you don't like his decision you play out your contract (or in this case wait until you're traded a couple months later).

Bottom line is that these situations are far from different.
1) How do you know that Swisher didn't talk to Ozzie behind closed doors?

2) So Swisher should just nod and smile to reporters and say, "[Manager X] is a good manager"? Isn't that what he just said with regards to Girardi? It would have been OK last year?

3) I also don't recall Swisher saying he wanted out or refusing to follow teams rules or anything of that sort. He pouted a little and answered some questions regarding his state of mind honestly. How is that different from what Ozzie's doing?

I don't mean to side with Ozzie or Swisher; neither is "right" in this situation. But there's no way you can defend Ozzie for "being honest" when your criticism of Swisher is basically that he was too honest.

oldcomiskey
04-21-2009, 09:30 AM
give me a manager like ozzie anyday as opposed to to some of the idiots we had in here before

Eddo144
04-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Swish to me sounds like a 9-year old who LOVES his 4th grade teacher the second week of school, she is the NICEST teacher EVER, and not until she marks him down for not doing his homework will he change his tune about her.
You're right, he does sound like that.

But what does that make Ozzie? The kid in sixth grade who still whines and moans about his fourth grade teacher giving him detention once?

thedudeabides
04-21-2009, 09:34 AM
"Winning isn't everything... it's the only thing."

That goes double in sports and triple in pro sports where fans pay massive amounts of money to root root root for the home team. Ozzie's done a LOT more winning than he's done losing. In addition he's done things no other manager has done in 90+ years and then only one other time in the history of the franchise.

So...

If someone's going to come at me with some weak ass crap about how Ozzie is the most classless manager in Chicago, I'm gonna remind them that class is nice, but winning is what matters. Ditka wasn't a real classy guy but managed to restore pride to the Bears fan base. Phil was a classy guy, but his team was a little rough around the edges.

I'll take the winning above all else, as well. That being said, I agree with a lot of people here that in his sixth season, I wish Ozzie would learn when he is being baited, but I certainly wouldn't ask him to change.

Ozzie's not the only outspoken manager. You don't have to look too far at Lou's history, or Tony LaRussa's.

And if you think some of the things Ozzie says are bad, go back and listen to Sparky Anderson or Earl Weaver. Earl could make a sailor blush.

The point being, that winning is what matters in the long run. If Ozzie has a long stretch of losing, this kind of thing will start to take its toll. Until then, he's going to continue sticking with what works. Look at the bright side, I don't even think he cursed in this interview. Now, that's progress. :D:

oldcomiskey
04-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Jerry Manuel is a real classy guy too, but then so is my dad. Point is I wouldnt want my dad managing the sox either

Taliesinrk
04-21-2009, 10:33 AM
1) How do you know that Swisher didn't talk to Ozzie behind closed doors?

2) So Swisher should just nod and smile to reporters and say, "[Manager X] is a good manager"? Isn't that what he just said with regards to Girardi? It would have been OK last year?

3) I also don't recall Swisher saying he wanted out or refusing to follow teams rules or anything of that sort. He pouted a little and answered some questions regarding his state of mind honestly. How is that different from what Ozzie's doing?

I don't mean to side with Ozzie or Swisher; neither is "right" in this situation. But there's no way you can defend Ozzie for "being honest" when your criticism of Swisher is basically that he was too honest.

1) I don't - he could have.

2) He shouldn't lie to the reporters. While playing for a team, he should not negatively comment about his active manager. If you went to a news station and attacked your current boss, would you expect to keep your job?

3) Here's the issue I was bringing up... I don't know what transpired behind closed doors, but it doesn't matter. I do know that Swisher left early and pouted so that the public could see. I'm not sure which "questions regarding his state of mind" you're referring to, but he shouldn't have said a word (if he did) while playing for the Sox. Bottom line is that he threw a fit for all to see. He did not act professionally (not that many players do nowadays), and I didn't agree with it. He signed a contract and is paid a lot of money to do as they say...

EDIT: I just want to make clear that I'm not complaining about the fact that Swisher opened his mouth as a Yankee (I kind of like Swisher). I'm not sure he is correct in his assessment, but he can talk if he wants... either way he sounds like a little kid. You talked about hypocrisy and commented on Swisher's behavior LAST YEAR; this is where I took issue and decided to comment.

oeo
04-21-2009, 10:36 AM

But what does that make Ozzie? The kid in sixth grade who still whines and moans about his fourth grade teacher giving him detention once?

That makes no sense.

Eddo144
04-21-2009, 11:18 AM
That makes no sense.
Sure it does. Ozzie has a history of getting into spats with former players. I don't see anyone disputing this fact.

oeo
04-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Sure it does. Ozzie has a history of getting into spats with former players. I don't see anyone disputing this fact.

I was talking about your student-teacher correlation. :tongue:

Dan H
04-21-2009, 12:02 PM
I am no fan of Swisher and am glad he is playing elsewhere. But what I see here from Ozzie is an overreaction. If Giraldi is the best manager Swisher has played for, then that means he is also better than whomever Swisher played for in Oakland as well.

It is good to be outspoken especially you are defending yourself and your organization. Guillen came off as a hot head here. This should have generated a no comment and nothing more. Leaders should know when to speak out and when to keep quiet.

angiew
04-21-2009, 12:16 PM
I liked Swisher at first...thought he was a good positive influence for the team. I even signed up and donated to him homerun challenge. But as the year progressed and his playing didn't, I thought he turned into a bit of a baby. I'm sure he was frustrated with his inability to get the job done on the field (as we all were), but the articles I read about him during that time made him look like a bit of a sulking baby. The last paragraph of that article made me laugh, and also seemed to hit it right on the head. I wish him well, but I'm not sad to see him go.

JB98
04-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Swisher was the most popular guy on the team??

Did the Sox players answer a poll, or how do we know that? Because I don't think it's true.

Swisher was one of the most visible and vocal guys on the team, but did that make him popular with his teammates? From what I have read, it did not. And his end-of-season whiny baby act really didn't play well -- not just with the manager and coaches, but with teammates.

And yeah, I think we'd all have been happier if Swisher actually had managed to hit .240 last year.

Swish to me sounds like a 9-year old who LOVES his 4th grade teacher the second week of school, she is the NICEST teacher EVER, and not until she marks him down for not doing his homework will he change his tune about her. *****, it's April 21, let's see how Girardi and Swish get along as the season progresses and the Yankees are not dominating the division, the league and the world. :rolleyes:

Swisher was popular with the media. I think his teammates could take him or leave him.

ramblinsoxfan11
04-21-2009, 01:51 PM
Swisher was popular with the media. I think his teammates could take him or leave him.

Swisher and Hall made that one video for mlb.com last year for the Sox. Not gonna lie, that was pretty funny :D: Apparently Dotel is the new team comedien though... sorry Swish

southside rocks
04-21-2009, 01:56 PM

Not to me, because I didn't read Ozzie's comments as whines and moans. I am guessing that some reporter took Swisher's comments and read them to Ozzie and asked what Ozzie thought about the remarks, and Ozzie then responded with the quotes that we have read. I actually read them as Ozzie calling Swisher what he is, which is a pouty baby.

I have seen nothing to indicate that Ozzie went looking for the Swisher comments, or took exception to them, or did anything but laugh at them -- which he should have, because they were stupid comments. "Never want to play for anyone else!" -- two weeks into the season. Yeah, and I once dated a guy who proposed to me after 6 weeks, but I didn't take that seriously either.

Bottom line, the Ozzie haters will hate that Ozzie said anything about the Swisher stupidity, and nobody else thinks it's a big deal. IMO, anyway.

WisSoxFan
04-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Not to me, because I didn't read Ozzie's comments as whines and moans. I am guessing that some reporter took Swisher's comments and read them to Ozzie and asked what Ozzie thought about the remarks, and Ozzie then responded with the quotes that we have read. I actually read them as Ozzie calling Swisher what he is, which is a pouty baby.

I have seen nothing to indicate that Ozzie went looking for the Swisher comments, or took exception to them, or did anything but laugh at them -- which he should have, because they were stupid comments. "Never want to play for anyone else!" -- two weeks into the season. Yeah, and I once dated a guy who proposed to me after 6 weeks, but I didn't take that seriously either.

Bottom line, the Ozzie haters will hate that Ozzie said anything about the Swisher stupidity, and nobody else thinks it's a big deal. IMO, anyway.

I'm not an Ozzie hater and I don't disagree with most anything anyone's said about Swisher and finally I agree with you that a reporter asked Ozzie the question, baited him if you will, but Ozzie should have laughed and said "no comment." I don't think it's a big deal and the only place I've read anything about it is here. Sorry, I think Ozzie comes off as a jilted ex in this. Probably time to move on. This seems to have had its 15 minutes.

spawn
04-21-2009, 02:43 PM
I just had a good time looking at the thread that were active when KW traded for Swisher (like this (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=99917&highlight=nick+swisher) one, or this (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=99633&highlight=nick+swisher) one).Man, talk about drinking the kool-aid. The guy could do no wrong, he was going to be a VERY popular player for the Sox, it could be one of the best trades KW made, etc. etc. It's amazing what a bad season can do for a popular player around here. I'm not saying anyone should be faulted by their initial perception of him. Just pointing out that the Swisher that's talking in the media as he's doing well is the same one we saw before and soon after the season started. He may be a genuinely nice guy considering his charities and all, but the guy is a kiss ass, and Ozzie was right to call him on it IMO.

Frater Perdurabo
04-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Ozzie is incapable of saying "no comment" and then, you know, NOT COMMENTING.

He's always running his mouth, is easily baited into controversy, and reporters looking for a story know this and therefore bait him.

Reporter: "Hey Ozzie, Nick Swisher just said Joe Girardi is the best manager he's ever played for. Do you have any comment about that?"

Ozzie: "Blah blah expletive deleted blah."

Reporter busily scribbles notes, knowing (s)he's got a story for tomorrow's paper or tonight's sportscast.

EndemicSox
04-22-2009, 12:59 PM
...and that is what makes him Ozzie. Characters like him are good for the game, and given his career record as manager, good for the Sox as well.

doublem23
04-24-2009, 12:27 AM
I don't think Swisher's comments were directed at Ozzie, however in his defense If I was .245 career hitter and I'm now batting .333, I would think Joe Gerardi is the best manager ever as well! :D:

Let's see what he has to say come September...

Congrats, Red... POTW (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=13&id=3755)

Domeshot17
04-24-2009, 12:37 AM
I don't know. Ive never heard anyone but Ozzie say anything bad about Swisher. However, Ozzie has butted heads with a TON of players over his time. It is the way he is. It is well known there was almost zero team chemistry last year. It is easy to point fingers at the guys who left, but a lot of that comes from the manager. Girardi OTOH, is known as a clubhouse guy, both when he played and as a manager. I remember when Darryl Kile passed away, and Girardi came out and addressed all of the fans. He seems like a guy who would go to war for you. I could see it being much easier to play for him then Ozzie.

markopat
04-24-2009, 08:33 AM
As if we are ever wondering where Ozzie stands on a topic? LOL...loved the article...thanks Lip.