PDA

View Full Version : Getz-Lillibridge-BA

Brian26
04-19-2009, 08:54 PM
It's still early, but I'm liking what I see from these three guys. You're looking at the replacements for Swisher and Uribe in the lineup, and what they're doing is everything that Swisher and Uribe (and to a certain extent Cabrera) didn't do, minus the power, in the last half of the season. They're taking pitches to draw walks and making contact to hit line-drives and groundballs. Just putting the ball in play gives them a chance to reach base because of their speed, and in doing so they're extending innings and giving Quentin/Thome/Dye/PK a chance to drive them in.

Seeing just a glimpse of what these guys might do with a little seasoning is pretty exciting, but it also perfectly illustrates how one-dimensional the 2008 lineup was from top-to-bottom.

danjames
04-19-2009, 08:56 PM
I agree with that. If BA can keep his average around .250 while drawing the walks he's drawing he'll OBP in the mid .300s, which would be fantastic for him.

Getz/Lillibridge could produce a decent platoon, too. It has been encouraging.

soxinem1
04-19-2009, 09:08 PM
I agree with that. If BA can keep his average around .250 while drawing the walks he's drawing he'll OBP in the mid .300s, which would be fantastic for him.

Even more encouraging is seeing Fields, Gets, BA, and Richard, products of the farm system, getting a chance and doing well so far. I am a big fan of producing your own players.

The other day when BA, Getz, and Fields all reached base in succession, I asked myself 'When was the last time I saw three straight White Sox produced players get three straight hits?'

CashMan
04-19-2009, 09:10 PM

I think BA is taking advantage of the opportunity that has presented it self to him. As for Getz and Lillibridge, I want no platoon, I feel Getz has all the tools(somebody say tool?) to play every day. If we had a spot for The Bridge to play everyday, I would not be against it, he is FAST!

Lip Man 1
04-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Getz could wind up being a keeper...time will tell with him. Anderson only needs to play good center field defensively and hit around .250 or so.

Lip

Huisj
04-19-2009, 09:34 PM
The other day when BA, Getz, and Fields all reached base in succession, I asked myself 'When was the last time I saw three straight White Sox produced players get three straight hits?'

No kidding. Off the top of my head, I'd guess maybe since a Thomas-Ordonez-Lee 3-4-5 lineup maybe?

danjames
04-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Getz numbers in the minor leagues point to a David Eckstein like career. If that's as good as it gets for him, that's still decent, but if a guy like Beckham comes along and supplants him as a starter it wouldn't surprise me.

Either way, it's a nice problem to have.

Taliesinrk
04-19-2009, 09:37 PM
No kidding. Off the top of my head, I'd guess maybe since a Thomas-Ordonez-Lee 3-4-5 lineup maybe?

Are we considering Ordonez a "Sox Product"?

danjames
04-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Are we considering Ordonez a "Sox Product"?

Drafted by houston but nurtured by the White Sox...why wouldn't you?

Taliesinrk
04-19-2009, 09:45 PM

My apologies... for some reason, I thought that either Lee or Ordonez was acquired in the White Flag trade.

Tragg
04-19-2009, 09:47 PM
It's still early, but I'm liking what I see from these three guys. You're looking at the replacements for Swisher and Uribe in the lineup, and what they're doing is everything that Swisher and Uribe (and to a certain extent Cabrera) didn't do, minus the power, in the last half of the season. They're taking pitches to draw walks and making contact to hit line-drives and groundballs. Just putting the ball in play gives them a chance to reach base because of their speed, and in doing so they're extending innings and giving Quentin/Thome/Dye/PK a chance to drive them in.

Seeing just a glimpse of what these guys might do with a little seasoning is pretty exciting, but it also perfectly illustrates how one-dimensional the 2008 lineup was from top-to-bottom.
Agree
They've been a lot of fun to watch and have helped this team by offering something different instead of a dulled version of the skills that our best hitters have.

doublem23
04-19-2009, 09:48 PM

Magglio wasn't drafted; Venezuelan players are not subject to the amateur draft. He was signed as a free agent in 1991, by the White Sox. He spent his entire formative minor league career in this organization.

Britt Burns
04-19-2009, 09:50 PM

Magglio was never in the Houston organization but was with the Sox from the beginning of his career:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/O/Magglio-Ordonez.shtml

Daver
04-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Magglio wasn't drafted; Venezuelan players are not subject to the amateur draft. He was signed as a free agent in 1991, by the White Sox. He spent his entire formative minor league career in this organization.

He was also left unprotected in the rule 5 draft in his fourth year.

danjames
04-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Magglio was never in the Houston organization but was with the Sox from the beginning of his career:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/O/Magglio-Ordonez.shtml

And now I stand corrected! I'm trying to find it, but I seem to recall a story about how the White Sox saw Magglio, as a catcher, in the Astros camp. That's why I assumed he was drafted by Houston, but now I can't even find that story.

everafan
04-19-2009, 10:01 PM
The camera panned back with Lillibridge and Anderson (maybe Getz) running the bases and I thought I had accidentally hit fast forward.

Noneck
04-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Anderson only needs to play good center field defensively and hit around .250 or so.

Lip
Yep, Ken Berry had a 10 year career doing that here.

Sargeant79
04-20-2009, 08:35 AM
I think Anderson's ceiling is a Mike Cameron-like career. Cameron is a .250 career hitter with a .340 career OBP with 25 HR-per-year power who plays excellent defense. Anderson won't steal as many bases as Cameron did during his prime years, but he's not bad on the bases either. If Anderson can do that, I'd be thrilled.

It's way too early to know if he'll keep this up, but so far I think Anderson's approach at the plate is much improved this year. He seems to be seeing more pitches each AB (something I noticed the last few weeks of spring training), and the results are showing by the 1:1 BB-K ratio so far this year. Again...way too small of a sample size, but I like what I see so far.

asindc
04-20-2009, 08:44 AM
I think Anderson's ceiling is a Mike Cameron-like career. Cameron is a .250 career hitter with a .340 career OBP with 25 HR-per-year power who plays excellent defense. Anderson won't steal as many bases as Cameron did during his prime years, but he's not bad on the bases either. If Anderson can do that, I'd be thrilled.

It's way too early to know if he'll keep this up, but so far I think Anderson's approach at the plate is much improved this year. He seems to be seeing more pitches each AB (something I noticed the last few weeks of spring training), and the results are showing by the 1:1 BB-K ratio so far this year. Again...way too small of a sample size, but I like what I see so far.

Good call on the BA-Cameron comparison.

During the radio broadcast yesterday, DA mentioned that BA is standing closer to the plate now to protect himself against the low and outside breaking ball. Pitchers now have to come up with a different book on him. I really like the fact the he and Fields are letting the game come to them and not swinging for the fences (reminds me of Delmon Young with the Twinkees last year). The home runs will come.

CashMan
04-20-2009, 08:46 AM
I really like the fact the he and Fields are letting the game come to them and not swinging for the fences (reminds me of Delmon Young with the Twinkees last year). The home runs will come.

I guess you did not see the 2-3 ABs from Fields in the series where he struck out swinging for the fences.

asindc
04-20-2009, 08:50 AM
I guess you did not see the 2-3 ABs from Fields in the series where he struck out swinging for the fences.

Look at the entire body of work this year so far. And on the ABs you are referring to, he struck out on fastballs, not the junk breaking balls out of the zone that he had been for the past two years.

CashMan
04-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Look at the entire body of work this year so far. And on the ABs you are referring to, he struck out on fastballs, not the junk breaking balls out of the zone that he had been for the past two years.

I agree with with the whole body of work, and I think Fields, BA, and Getz are doing terrific so far. It just annoyed me, he is hitting pretty well, then walks up to the plate, and starts hacking.

jabrch
04-20-2009, 09:30 AM

Me too. I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't.

mcfish
04-20-2009, 09:57 AM
Me too. I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't.
Ozzie

jabrch
04-20-2009, 10:11 AM
Ozzie

Is your Teal broken?

mcfish
04-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Is your Teal broken?
I don't like teal, and I was only half sarcastic anyway.

Evidence:
Swisher playing ahead of him all last year while hitting .220 and playing worse defense.
Dewayne Wise (a career .214 hitter) getting starts over him when Swisher was finally benched, despite not being as good defensively.
etc. etc. etc.

I know, it's all been hashed out all over the place here, sorry about that. My point I guess is that if Anderson doesn't see the field when he's playing good defense and hitting .230, are .020 points really going to change that much? That's 12 hits in a normal 600 AB season. 3 hits in a 181 AB season like BA had last year.

So no, I don't think Ozzie would be thrilled with a season/career of good defense and .250 hitting from BA.

Jenks4Prez
04-20-2009, 11:28 AM
I love the speed Lillibridge brings to this team. It was really nice to finally see a White Sox player pinch run and cause some havoc on the basepaths like he did on Friday night. I'm not crowning him the next Ricky Henderson, but he looked good out there.

CashMan
04-20-2009, 11:44 AM
I love the speed Lillibridge brings to this team. It was really nice to finally see a White Sox player pinch run and cause some havoc on the basepaths like he did on Friday night. I'm not crowning him the next Ricky Henderson, but he looked good out there.

Maybe Scotty Pods 2.0?

johnnyg83
04-20-2009, 11:53 AM
At one point, wasn't Lillibridge hitting .067 with a .380 OBP? That's hysterical.

I know the sample size is small ... but he's already exceeded his SB and doubled his BB totals in a third of the games played in the majors.

Jenks4Prez
04-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Maybe Scotty Pods 2.0?

I am anxiously awaiting the Lillibridge 2009 playoff power surge!

CashMan
04-20-2009, 11:56 AM
I am anxiously awaiting the Lillibridge 2009 playoff power surge!

I would LOVE to see him play everyday with the speed he has, but there is a log jam up the middle of the IF.

slavko
04-20-2009, 12:34 PM
I would LOVE to see him play everyday with the speed he has, but there is a log jam up the middle of the IF.

How bad could he be in CF? Worse than Griffey, Mack, Owens, Swish, Wise? Management doesn't care a fig about CF defense anyway. The walls are padded, the grass is soft and cozy, what could he hurt unless he dove for a ball and that's a freak thing he could do in the IF?

Although they did move Pods to LF.

LoveYourSuit
04-20-2009, 12:36 PM
BA's patience and eye at the plate has been very impressive. It's almost as if he wants to show management that he can lead off if need be.

Still too early for that, but if he keeps up with taking pitches and drawin walks, I would not mind seeing him up in the order a drop Fields to an RBI position.

If anyone should be hitting ninth right now, I am looking at you Mr Alexei.

oeo
04-20-2009, 12:50 PM
BA's patience and eye at the plate has been very impressive. It's almost as if he wants to show management that he can lead off if need be.

I'm glad this was mentioned because I think his walks in Tampa had to do with their scouting report. Everyone knows that Anderson is going to chase a breaking ball in the dirt. He laid off of them early in the count, which is good, but what happens when he gets behind in the count? His last AB against Garza was a good example. Garza got ahead 0-2 (Anderson looked at two strikes), and that was that. Anderson ended up swinging out of his shoes at the crap he was taking earlier in the game.

It will be interesting to see how Baltimore pitches to him, and if they decide to go after him, what Anderson does. Will he realize it and take the bat off his shoulder, or fall behind 0-2, 1-2 every AB? I've got a guess of what I think might happen, but the FOBA's are on a high right now because Anderson had a good series.

jabrch
04-20-2009, 01:12 PM
So no, I don't think Ozzie would be thrilled with a season/career of good defense and .250 hitting from BA.

That's silly.

DonnieDarko
04-20-2009, 01:14 PM
We all know that Ozzie doesn't like Anderson all that much. But if he's producing like that while the rest of the team has been raking it like they have...how in the world could he bench him? Seriously, it'd just be beyond asinine to do something like that.

oeo
04-20-2009, 01:15 PM
We all know that Ozzie doesn't like Anderson all that much. But if he's producing like that while the rest of the team has been raking it like they have...how in the world could he bench him? Seriously, that's just beyond asinine.

Ozzie has no personal vendetta against Anderson. If he did, Anderson would have been gone a long time ago.

RockyMtnSoxFan
04-20-2009, 01:17 PM
I'm glad this was mentioned because I think his walks in Tampa had to do with their scouting report. Everyone knows that Anderson is going to chase a breaking ball in the dirt. He laid off of them early in the count, which is good, but what happens when he gets behind in the count? His last AB against Garza was a good example. Garza got ahead 0-2 (Anderson looked at two strikes), and that was that. Anderson ended up swinging out of his shoes at the crap he was taking earlier in the game.

It will be interesting to see how Baltimore pitches to him, and if they decide to go after him, what Anderson does. Will he realize it and take the bat off his shoulder, or fall behind 0-2, 1-2 every AB? I've got a guess of what I think might happen, but the FOBA's are on a high right now because Anderson had a good series.

You've got a point. I'm very excited by BA's patience, but if he's just watching all pitches rather than being selective, opponents will eventually detect and exploit that weakness. Hopefully he's been able to identify the outside breaking pitches better and lay off of them. If that's the case, I think his average and power will start to catch up with his OBP.

CashMan
04-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Ozzie has no personal vendetta against Anderson. If he did, Anderson would have been gone a long time ago.

Disagree, Kenny out rules Ozzie. BA is cheap and under control for a little bit. If BA was making $5-7mill a year, then you would be right.

DonnieDarko
04-20-2009, 01:23 PM

I was being facetious more than anything with that sentence. My bad for not making it clearer. :P

dooda
04-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Saw the Saturday and Sunday games in person. Still too much waiting for 3 run homers if you ask me. I understand not bunting Quentin, Thome, Dye and Konerko, but everyone else should move the runners up. At least 2 double plays in the series were the result of a failed bunt by Fields and no attempt to bunt by Lillibridge with 1st and 2nd and nobody out.

If I had my way Getz would be the everyday 2nd baseman. He makes the routine plays, and he battles at the plate. I think he hits 30 doubles this year.

I didn't like Lillibridge as much as some of the posters. He did make one great baserunning play scoring from 3rd on a very shallow fly ball to Iwamura who caught it running away from home plate. Iwamura looked stunned and double clutched the throw. Lillibridge's stance is way out of balance. He is prone to striking out excessively. He played center, short and 2nd in the series and fielded his position well. Hopefully he is an upgrade at the bat for Uribe. I doubt he can carry Juan's glove in the long run. His big value as I see it is versatility.

Betamit is Juan Uribe from both sides of the plate. Four straight K's on Saturday. His trade mark is versatility also. He can play all 4 infield positions adequately. I hope he lives up to his one time forcasted value but at this stage of his career I suspect he is the consumate utility player.

Brian Anderson did exactly what the Sox need from him. He played excellent CF and got on base via walks and hits. I'm one of the BA fans. Just give us a great CF and hit .250 and you can play everyday. He makes the routine plays, and if you try to run on him you better be sure because he doesn't miss the easy throw.

The ball Quentin hit Saturday left the yard quicker than any ball I've ever seen hit. The Rays OF never moved.

Looks like a good year!!!

oeo
04-20-2009, 01:31 PM
I was being facetious more than anything with that sentence. My bad for not making it clearer. :P

Well there are quite a few people here that seriously believe Ozzie has something against Anderson. All you have to do is look to the response right before yours for one example of that.

LoveYourSuit
04-20-2009, 01:44 PM
You've got a point. I'm very excited by BA's patience, but if he's just watching all pitches rather than being selective, opponents will eventually detect and exploit that weakness. Hopefully he's been able to identify the outside breaking pitches better and lay off of them. If that's the case, I think his average and power will start to catch up with his OBP.

Well the only way he is ever going to do that (learn to identify pitches) is by getting playing time and seeing live in game pitching. From the bench, watching film, taking 500 hacks in BP, he is not going to learn a thing. So his patience right now might end up paying big dividends in the future weeks, if indeed he learned something so far and is just not "guessing right" up there currently.

mcfish
04-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Well there are quite a few people here that seriously believe Ozzie has something against Anderson. All you have to do is look to the response right before yours for one example of that.I don't think Ozzie has a personal problem with Anderson. I think Ozzie believes that Anderson is not good enough offensively to produce consistently and successfully at the mlb level and therefore does not see a need to give him a chance to play every day. I think Ozzie formed this opinion after BA played poorly in 2006 and has not seen a reason to change his opinion. I don't see BA up close every day and I haven't spent my whole life around baseball, so I cannot dispute this opinion. I just don't like it because it continues this can he or can't he saga that would theoretically be put to rest if BA was given another chance. If he can't cut it, dump him. If he can, you've gained an everyday centerfielder. Benefits (gain CF) far outweigh the consequences (.200 - .240 avg with good D - sounds better than Swisher last year) to me.

2006 : 106 starts, 134 games
2007 : 3 starts, 13 games
2008 : 39 starts, 108 games

It was a crappy 2006, I get that. But he's had 2 years to improve. It's time to figure out whether BA is an mlb player, especially considering how little the potential gain is from the other options (including Wise).

(P.S. I know in reality the BA saga will never be put to rest, at least here at WSI, but letting him play will at least make one side's argument weaker.)

Madscout
04-20-2009, 03:52 PM

The key will be how he adjusts or if he adjusts. If he doesn't, then he deserves to be in on the bench. All he is doing is making them pitch to him. If they throw him junk in the dirt, he won't swing, and he shouldn't swing. It forces them to throw him fastballs for strikes, or get their breaking stuff over. I don't know too many hitters that are going to be killing a pitcher that can get both his fastballs and his breaking stuff over the plate. We will see.

It's Dankerific
04-20-2009, 03:59 PM

But in a later AB in that same game, he fell behind, didn't chase the crap, made the pitcher throw some pitches AND got a single.

If the scouting report comes back that he's not such a free swinger anymore, they'll start challenging him. Thats one thing that most people agree on, you throw BA a fastball, he can crush it.

Lets see what happens, but there are more reasons to be positive than negative.

KenBerryGrab
04-20-2009, 04:17 PM
If Lillibridge can draw walks like he did in the Tampa series, he'll deserve more playing time. The kid is electric on the bases.

DonnieDarko
04-20-2009, 04:29 PM
One problem that I've got with BA is that when he seems to want to crush the ball instead of just being worried about making contact, he seems to take his eye off of the ball, and thus ends up missing. If he can learn to not do that, perhaps we'll start to see some power from him.

Also, I asked this in another topic but didn't get a response, so I'll ask it here: I've noticed that Anderson has been spending a lot of time with Thome in the dugout in the past few games (really, ever since he's begun to hit well). So that makes me wonder...has Thome taken him under his wing or something? I'd be interesting to speculate, I would imagine.

It's Dankerific
04-20-2009, 04:42 PM
One problem that I've got with BA is that when he seems to want to crush the ball instead of just being worried about making contact, he seems to take his eye off of the ball, and thus ends up missing. If he can learn to not do that, perhaps we'll start to see some power from him.

Also, I asked this in another topic but didn't get a response, so I'll ask it here: I've noticed that Anderson has been spending a lot of time with Thome in the dugout in the past few games (really, ever since he's begun to hit well). So that makes me wonder...has Thome taken him under his wing or something? I'd be interesting to speculate, I would imagine.

I'll I know is that on the telecast, Hawk and Stone were talking about Brian's chance to grab this opportunity and the specifically mentioned he is well liked in the clubhouse by all the players. It wouldn't surprise me if Thome was helping BA because a) Thome is well regarded as a great guy and teammate and b) Thome had some struggles early in his career as well. (of course, not to the same extent).

oeo
04-20-2009, 04:46 PM
But in a later AB in that same game, he fell behind, didn't chase the crap, made the pitcher throw some pitches AND got a single.

If the scouting report comes back that he's not such a free swinger anymore, they'll start challenging him. Thats one thing that most people agree on, you throw BA a fastball, he can crush it.

Lets see what happens, but there are more reasons to be positive than negative.

Look, I'm happy he had a good series. I hope he has plenty more. However, I don't think I'm seeing anything different. He didn't look more selective, he just looked like he wasn't going to swing the bat until he had to. Not a good plan of attack.

cws05champ
04-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Getz numbers in the minor leagues point to a David Eckstein like career. If that's as good as it gets for him, that's still decent, but if a guy like Beckham comes along and supplants him as a starter it wouldn't surprise me.

Either way, it's a nice problem to have.
Maybe he will have an Eckstein like career which wouldn't be all bad at all. But his MiL #'s may not tell the whole story. Here are the stats of Getz and an already established MLB 2B in AAA his final minor league season. They both spent 3 years in the minors...see if you can pick which one is Getz:
A) .302/.366./.448 11HR, 24 2B, 52RBI, 11SB in 404 AB
B) .305/.384/.426 5HR, 30 2B, 50 RBI, 1 SB in 423 AB

Getz is player A, and player B is........

Dustin Pedroia.

I'm not saying that Getz will be anything close to Pedroia at the ML level but their MiL #'s are very similar, so you never know how a guy will progress and mature.

jabrch
04-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Look, I'm happy he had a good series. I hope he has plenty more. However, I don't think I'm seeing anything different. He didn't look more selective, he just looked like he wasn't going to swing the bat until he had to. Not a good plan of attack.

I'm looking forward to seeing Brian hit. Yesterday was nice. But we need to see more of it. Hitters who hit .250 won't have a .400 obp over the course of the year. That's just not going to happen. Sample size is way to small to evaluate his performance so far. I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like in a month or so.

It's Dankerific
04-20-2009, 05:04 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Brian hit. Yesterday was nice. But we need to see more of it. Hitters who hit .250 won't have a .400 obp over the course of the year. That's just not going to happen. Sample size is way to small to evaluate his performance so far. I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like in a month or so.

Adam Dunn was close, just last year. Its not like its impossible, just improbable.

Its more likely that BA's average and slugging go up a bit, OBP drops a bit.

danjames
04-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Maybe he will have an Eckstein like career which wouldn't be all bad at all. But his MiL #'s may not tell the whole story. Here are the stats of Getz and an already established MLB 2B in AAA his final minor league season. They both spent 3 years in the minors...see if you can pick which one is Getz:
A) .302/.366./.448 11HR, 24 2B, 52RBI, 11SB in 404 AB
B) .305/.384/.426 5HR, 30 2B, 50 RBI, 1 SB in 423 AB

Getz is player A, and player B is........

Dustin Pedroia.

I'm not saying that Getz will be anything close to Pedroia at the ML level but their MiL #'s are very similar, so you never know how a guy will progress and mature.

I like the comparison, and it would be fantastic, but Pedroia is two years younger than Getz. I'm not trying to say it couldn't happen though. Stranger things have definitely transpired, and minor league numbers aren't always the best indicator of future success. A look at John Danks very up-and-down stats can show you that.

Madscout
04-20-2009, 08:27 PM
I saw some ABs like that, and yes, I am a little worried if that is the case. But I also saw some ABs where he was just a smart hitter, and took what the pitchers gave him. I saw one in the game we lost where he jumped ahead of Shields 2-0 and got a fastball middle in and drilled it through the infield for a single, which started which moved AJ to 3rd, and then Getz or Lillibridge doubled for one of the first times I've seen the Sox not go station to station in a while. So again, we'll see.

Huisj
04-20-2009, 09:09 PM
I like the comparison, and it would be fantastic, but Pedroia is two years younger than Getz. I'm not trying to say it couldn't happen though. Stranger things have definitely transpired, and minor league numbers aren't always the best indicator of future success. A look at John Danks very up-and-down stats can show you that.

The player I keep thinking of when I see Getz play is Adam Kennedy. Lefty hitter, gap power with a few homers here and there, can steal a few bases but isn't a speed demon. Kennedy was a bit more highly regarded coming up through the minors because of some big batting averages he put up, and he came up a year or so younger than Getz, but I still feel like their style of play is similar.

Tragg
04-20-2009, 09:25 PM
Saw the Saturday and Sunday games in person. Still too much waiting for 3 run homers if you ask me. I understand not bunting Quentin, Thome, Dye and Konerko, but everyone else should move the runners up. At least 2 double plays in the series were the result of a failed bunt by Fields and no attempt to bunt by Lillibridge with 1st and 2nd and nobody out.

Why should the Sox intentionally make outs in front of Quentin, Thome Dye and Konerko? They aren't singles hitters anyway.
Getz and Fields shouldn't be swinging for the fences, but they shouldn't be bunting either (unless we need an insurance run or a late inning situation). The Sox need big innings.

As for Anderson, compared to Wise and Owens he stands 30 feet tall. Whether it's a grudge or inability to judge talent (which is my conclusion) it hasn't made any sense for him to sit behind those 2 stiffs (or Erstad), one of whom has a career obp below .260 and the other can barely get the ball into the outfiel when he drills it. And neither one can play any D and CF D is particularly important when flanked by lumberers Dye and Quentin. It makes no sense at all.

Lillian
04-20-2009, 09:42 PM
We better add Nix to this mix. He's back and starting a rehab stint with the Barons tonight.

DonnieDarko
04-20-2009, 10:10 PM
We better add Nix to this mix. He's back and starting a rehab stint with the Barons tonight.

With how well Getz and Lillibridge have done, why do you want Nix back?

cws05champ
04-20-2009, 10:19 PM

Do you have a new crush now that Brad Eldred is gone Lillian?

Lillian
04-21-2009, 07:03 AM
I suggest that Nix be included in the middle infield equation simply because he probably has a greater upside than either Getz or Lillibridge. He has a great arm, is probably the best defensive second baseman in the system, and has a very big upside offensively. I exclude Alexei, who is no longer in the mix for that position, as he is really better suited for SS.

Lillian
04-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Frankly, sometimes I'm afraid that I don't understand the thinking of some on this board. Nix is a very good defensive second baseman with a pretty big upside offensive potential.

Any guy who can put the kind of numbers he did at AAA last year has to have some talent. The guy hit .303 with a .373 OBP and a very impressive .591 Slugging %. Those are very impressive numbers for a good defensive middle infielder.
21 doubles, 17 homers and 51 RBI's in less than half a season!!!
What's not to like? Again, we're talking a second baseman, not an outfielder, or corner infielder.
Beckham is the best of the crop, but it's easy to see why KW signed Nix to a Major League contract.

palehozenychicty
04-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Frankly, sometimes I'm afraid that I don't understand the thinking of some on this board. Nix is a very good defensive second baseman with a pretty big upside offensive potential.

Any guy who can put the kind of numbers he did at AAA last year has to have some talent. The guy hit .303 with a .373 OBP and a very impressive .591 Slugging %. Those are very impressive numbers for a good defensive middle infielder.
What's not to like? Again, we're talking a second baseman, not an outfielder, or corner infielder.
Beckham is the best of the crop, but it's easy to see why KW signed Nix to a Major League contract.

I think that Nix can help us out in many ways. If he plays exceptionally well, then we get value as a trade piece for either him or Betemit. I think he's a better asset than Betemit because of his defensive versatility. Offense wins games, but defense wins championships.

dickallen15
04-21-2009, 01:14 PM

Take the numbers with a grain of salt. Colorado Springs is a launching pad and it was his 3rd year in AAA. Numbers can lie. If numbers were all that mattered, Brad Eldred would be playing and batting clean up for some major league team this year. The Rockies were so impressed with him, they released him.

Lillian
04-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Take the numbers with a grain of salt. Colorado Springs is a launching pad and it was his 3rd year in AAA. Numbers can lie. If numbers were all that mattered, Brad Eldred would be playing and batting clean up for some major league team this year. The Rockies were so impressed with him, they released him.

I understand that the air is thinner in Colorado Springs than it is in Chicago, because of the very high elevation. However, the dimensions of Security Service Field are actually bigger than the Cell. Field Dimensions: Left: 350 Left-center: 385 Center: 410 Right-center: 385 Right: 350

I doubt that the impressive slugging % that Nix produced last year was effected that much by the ball park. I can't imagine Getz or Lillibridge putting up those kinds of numbers playing in any park, in any city, can you?

Konerko05
04-21-2009, 04:21 PM
I understand that the air is thinner in Colorado Springs than it is in Chicago, because of the very high elevation. However, the dimensions of Security Service Field are actually bigger than the Cell. Field Dimensions: Left: 350 Left-center: 385 Center: 410 Right-center: 385 Right: 350

I doubt that the impressive slugging % that Nix produced last year was effected that much by the ball park. I can't imagine Getz or Lillibridge putting up those kinds of numbers playing in any park, in any city, can you?

Yes, but as Dick Allen has mentioned several times, this was his third year in AAA. It was also only 67 games.

In his first year at AAA, he posted a .630 OPS.

I'm not ruling out he could have miraculously figured it out, but I'm also not overly excited about only 264 at bats out of the last five years.

Lillian
04-21-2009, 05:12 PM
In instances like these, I would trust the scouting department and K.W.
Apparently they think that Nix was worthy of signing him to a Major League Contract. Only time will tell whether their confidence was justified.

Frater Perdurabo
04-21-2009, 08:12 PM

Large field dimensions like that would lead to higher batting averages because of the larger gaps and therefore greater distance between outfielders. It also would result in more doubles and triples.

dickallen15
04-21-2009, 08:18 PM

Nix was 7 for 56 in the major leagues last year. That's really more important than AAA numbers anyway. I think Lillibridge and Getz definitely can do better than that.

MisterB
04-22-2009, 09:58 AM

Large field dimensions like that would lead to higher batting averages because of the larger gaps and therefore greater distance between outfielders. It also would result in more doubles and triples.

And don't minimize the effect of altitude, Lillian. Due to the combination of high altitude and low humidity, balls at Coors Field travel about 9% further, which would make those 350/385/410 dimensions play more like 321/353/376 in terms of power. On top of that, Colorado Springs is almost 1000 feet higher than Denver.

Craig Grebeck
04-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Say that first sentence again out loud. See if you can do so without laughing.

It was Nix's third trip through AAA. He's never put up numbers like that, ever. This isn't Nelson Cruz. This is Jayson Nix. He's simply not good.

Frater Perdurabo
04-22-2009, 07:50 PM
On top of that, Colorado Springs is almost 1000 feet higher than Denver.

Wow! That's a greater difference than the altitude difference between sea level and Chicago.

Tragg
04-22-2009, 09:18 PM
This thread deserves a bump after tonight...at least the original intent does, sans Nix, add some Fields.

Lip Man 1
04-22-2009, 09:25 PM
Lillian:

Not saying you are wrong in your thinking but consider this. Why does a team flat out "give up" on a top draft pick?

They are expensive and teams generally bend over backwards to give them every opportunity to succeed. For them to just release a guy in that position smacks of something else don't you think?

I have no idea what it could be but the point is first round or second round guys are treated like gold.

Just something to think about.

Lip

wsf4l
04-22-2009, 09:58 PM
BA is finally learning how to have plate discipline at the major league level. He had 10 walks in about 180 AB's last year and so far this year he has 6 in 25 AB's. Not that he is going to draw 100 walks this year, but I thought that was a pretty darastic improvement.

DonnieDarko
04-22-2009, 09:59 PM
BA is finally learning how to have plate discipline at the major league level. He had 10 walks in about 180 AB's last year and so far this year he has 6 in 25 AB's. Not that he is going to draw 100 walks this year, but I thought that was a pretty darastic improvement.

In honor of BA's performances as of late , I have taken up the Brian Anderson charity challenge. I encourage that you all do the same, even if only for fun. :D:

CashMan
04-22-2009, 10:03 PM

I think it is time, KW scours the waiver wire for a AAAA player to replace Anderson.

Jaffar
04-22-2009, 10:24 PM
I think it is time, KW scours the waiver wire for a AAAA player to replace Anderson.

Not a player like AAAA player but the AAAA player.

I'm happy to see BA taking advantage of his opportunity so far.

35th&Shields
04-23-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm happy to see BA taking advantage of his opportunity so far.

BA is batting .276 with an OBP of .400 in 29 at bats. Aaron Rowand is batting .275 with an OBP of .326 in 40 at bats with San Francisco with a much higher salary.

I'm not saying that BA is better than Rowand, but so far so good at this point. If BA could keep is OBP up and bat between .250 and .275 and play a solid CF, I think we'd all be happy.

doublem23
04-23-2009, 11:57 AM
BA is batting .276 with an OBP of .400 in 29 at bats. Aaron Rowand is batting .275 with an OBP of .326 in 40 at bats with San Francisco with a much higher salary.

I'm not saying that BA is better than Rowand, but so far so good at this point. If BA could keep is OBP up and bat between .250 and .275 and play a solid CF, I think we'd all be happy.

BA is also batting 9th in the order, so really he's not expected to contribute much offensively. As long as he plays good in the field, anything he gives us at the dish is gravy. His power is down a bit right now, I don't know if that's a result of a new approach at the plate, but there's enough power elsewhere in this lineup to make up for it. I'd take Anderson with a .400 OBP and .310 SLG over Anderson with a .283 OBP and .375 SLG (his career numbers) 8 days a week.

rocky biddle
04-23-2009, 12:04 PM

I don't think that's ever gonna happen; especially not when BA's involved.

doublem23
04-23-2009, 12:06 PM
I don't think that's ever gonna happen; especially not when BA's involved.

Who's not happy with BA?

jabrch
04-23-2009, 12:08 PM
I'd take Anderson with a .400 OBP and .310 SLG over Anderson with a .283 OBP and .375 SLG (his career numbers) 8 days a week.

I'm sure everyone would...If Anderson with a .400 obp is on the menu, there is nobody who wouldn't want him. The real question is if we can get that (or even a .330 obp) over the course of a full season.

russ99
04-23-2009, 01:44 PM
I'm sure everyone would...If Anderson with a .400 obp is on the menu, there is nobody who wouldn't want him. The real question is if we can get that (or even a .330 obp) over the course of a full season.

No kidding. And the way he's been looking at the plate, that .273 may not be so high for long. That double last night was real nice, but it seems that any pitcher with a solid breaking ball can get him out.

I'm glad the kid is getting some key hits, but he's still the worst hitter in the lineup.

jabrch
04-23-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm glad the kid is getting some key hits, but he's still the worst hitter in the lineup.

And I have no problem with him being the worst hitter in the order. Whomever was playing CF was almost sure to be that.

But not if he can't hit my weight. I've lost some weight - so this will be a bit easier. But I expect him to find a way to at least hit .240. I'm not asking too much for him to hold this job down - and I wasn't asking too much from any of the other crappy candidates.

I can't wait until someday when we have a decent CF, who can field and hit, and where we don't just settle for some different flavor of crap.

Konerko05
04-23-2009, 01:56 PM

As expected. Jerry Owens and Dewayne Wise would also be the worst hitters in the lineup. He's producing right now, and doesn't look as susceptible to breaking balls as in the past.

Even though he may be the worst hitter in the lineup, he also fields his position better than anyone in the lineup.

Plus I'd rather have a hitter who can't hit a breaking ball than a hitter who can't hit a fastball.

35th&Shields
04-23-2009, 02:38 PM

I'll bet you a cold MGD (or Pepsi if you're under 21) that he bats over .330. It'll give us something to track over the season. Deal?

Tragg
04-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Unfortunately the alternatives on the roster are far, far worse.

jabrch
04-23-2009, 05:02 PM
I'll bet you a cold MGD (or Pepsi if you're under 21) that he bats over .330. It'll give us something to track over the season. Deal?

I don't make it a habit of betting guys on the internet... Too many stiffs out there. But here's what we can do... Let's track it - keep it in your sig.

He SHOULD be able to do it. But on his career, he has a .283 OBP. I'd love to see him hit .275/.350/.450. Given his D, and our options, I'd take .250/.330/.430 and be happy. If he OBPs .330 or higher, I'll buy the first round when we celebrate a division title and a trip to the post season and you can buy the second round. If he hits under that, you buy the first round and I will buy the second round. :-)

That's a low bar - .330. Griffey, Swisher, Mack and Terrero did it. But not a one of them could play the position - and not a one of them is on our roster this year. I'm unconvinced that BA, DW, JO can.

Jeckle2000
04-23-2009, 05:39 PM
I have been very impressed with Chris Getz so far. I think he has the potential to be the best lead off hitter we've had since Ray Durham. Not near as much power mind you but I love the bat control and the plate discipline. If he continues to play well we might need to keep Beckham as SS...

oeo
04-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Who's not happy with BA?

Ozzie, duh.

35th&Shields
04-24-2009, 01:44 PM
I don't make it a habit of betting guys on the internet... Too many stiffs out there. But here's what we can do... Let's track it - keep it in your sig.

He SHOULD be able to do it. But on his career, he has a .283 OBP. I'd love to see him hit .275/.350/.450. Given his D, and our options, I'd take .250/.330/.430 and be happy. If he OBPs .330 or higher, I'll buy the first round when we celebrate a division title and a trip to the post season and you can buy the second round. If he hits under that, you buy the first round and I will buy the second round. :-)

That's a low bar - .330. Griffey, Swisher, Mack and Terrero did it. But not a one of them could play the position - and not a one of them is on our roster this year. I'm unconvinced that BA, DW, JO can.

Done.