PDA

View Full Version : The BA/Owens Defensive Switch

danjames
04-19-2009, 09:29 PM
I don't believe this has been covered, so forgive me if I missed it, but is there a reason Ozzie goes with Owens in center and BA at a corner when he makes this substitution? I understand getting Owens some field time and all of that, it just seems that unless Owens can't play a corner at all, your best defense has BA in center field.

Obviously this is nit-picking, but it makes me scratch my head.

dagame2005
04-19-2009, 09:32 PM
I don't believe this has been covered, so forgive me if I missed it, but is there a reason Ozzie goes with Owens in center and BA at a corner when he makes this substitution? I understand getting Owens some field time and all of that, it just seems that unless Owens can't play a corner at all, your best defense has BA in center field.

Obviously this is nit-picking, but it makes me scratch my head.

I was wondering this as well. The only thing that I could figure is that Owens has such a noodle arm that you would want the better arm in right.

WhiteSoxJunkie
04-19-2009, 09:37 PM
I was wondering this as well. The only thing that I could figure is that Owens has such a noodle arm that you would want the better arm in right.

But it's harder to throw the ball to the plate from centerfield because of the mound. So wouldn't you want the strongest arm in center?

DonnieDarko
04-19-2009, 09:38 PM
But CF also needs a strong arm. Perplexing.

roylestillman
04-19-2009, 09:40 PM
If you are referring to today, I would look at it as nothing more than sitting JD down in the late innings of a blow out game, not a strategic defensive move,

DonnieDarko
04-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Right, right. Now that I think about it, that's really the only thing he could have done outside of moving Quentin to right, Owens to left, keep BA in CF.

...meh. It's a small gripe, either way. :P

munchman33
04-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Didn't see the game today, but I take it Dye was the one coming out?

Owens can't play RF. Probably has never seen those angles. Discussion over.

soxinem1
04-19-2009, 09:42 PM
I would think you'd want to have your best defensive OF playing to preserve late inning leads.

True, Dye is not the defender he once was, but to say Owens in CF and BA in RF make the team tighter in late innings is unrealistic. At least BA can cover the gaps in left-center or right-center if he's in CF.

Sort of like replacing Robin Ventura with Chris Snopek. What does this do?

At the same time, maybe Ozzie just wanted to give JD a breather, and feels Owens in CF is better than Owens in LF or RF.

Personally, I think Owens is better off as a PR and no more.

Frater Perdurabo
04-19-2009, 09:43 PM

I think he's better off somewhere else besides the Sox organization.

Daver
04-19-2009, 09:44 PM
You want your best arm in right field in late innings, as a good percentage of assist opportunities will be at third base. Outfielders that can get an accurate throw from deep center field to home plate are very few and far between, Jerry Owens can't make an accurate throw to second base from there.

Brian26
04-19-2009, 09:45 PM
With a 10-run lead, worrying about who has the best outfield arm probably is a moot point. Generally, though, you want your strongest arm in RF because of the throw to 3rd.

danjames
04-19-2009, 09:46 PM
I would think you'd want to have your best defensive OF playing to preserve late inning leads.

True, Dye is not the defender he once was, but to say Owens in CF and BA in RF make the team tighter in late innings is unrealistic. At least BA can cover the gaps in left-center or right-center if he's in CF.

Sort of like replacing Robin Ventura with Chris Snopek. What does this do?

At the same time, maybe Ozzie just wanted to give JD a breather, and feels Owens in CF is better than Owens in LF or RF.

Yeah I don't think this move was done for strategic purposes. I look at it as just getting Owens on the field and letting JD take a few innings off.

It just seemed weird to not throw Owens in right field and leave BA in center. But as Munch said, Owens probably just can't play right field.

Frater Perdurabo
04-19-2009, 09:47 PM
You want your best arm in right field in late innings, as a good percentage of assist opportunities will be at third base. Outfielders that can get an accurate throw from deep center field to home plate are very few and far between, Jerry Owens can't make an accurate throw to second base from there.

Slightly tangential question, Daver: How would you rank the Sox starting outfielders' (Dye, BA, Quentin) arms? It seems like all three have really good arms, but I'm curious which one of the three you think is the best.

kevingrt
04-19-2009, 09:48 PM
I think it was a move to get JD rest. I don't think there is anything more to it.

DirtySox
04-19-2009, 09:49 PM
with a 10-run lead, worrying about who has the best outfield arm probably is a moot point.

+1

Daver
04-19-2009, 09:59 PM
Slightly tangential question, Daver: How would you rank the Sox starting outfielders' (Dye, BA, Quentin) arms? It seems like all three have really good arms, but I'm curious which one of the three you think is the best.

Brian has the best arm, were Jermaine younger it might be close, Carlos has a good arm, but his throwing is a bit on the erratic side, much like Rowand had a problem hitting the target.

Ranger
04-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Didn't see the game today, but I take it Dye was the one coming out?

Owens can't play RF. Probably has never seen those angles. Discussion over.

Not to mention the 10-run lead in the 9th. Who cares.

doublem23
04-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Not to mention the 10-run lead in the 9th. Who cares.

Um, Ozzie made the switch in the 7th, when we were only winning by 9. It was of critical importance.

:cool:

Ranger
04-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Um, Ozzie made the switch in the 7th, when we were only winning by 9. It was of critical importance.

:cool:

Yeah, you're right. Could've cost 'em the game!

On a serious note, I like the way the young players are handling themselves so far.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Normally your best thorwing arm is slotted in right field. I think normal procedure is to put your second best arm in left for throws to 3rd and home. Center is normally the least best arm but most center fielders need to be able to cover the most ground.

Center takes charge in the outfield and normally they get to as many balls as possible calling off the corner guys if needed unless it in a catch-throw situation.

Lip

soxinem1
04-19-2009, 10:30 PM
Yeah, you're right. Could've cost 'em the game!

On a serious note, I like the way the young players are handling themselves so far.

An absolutely awesome truth!!

NDSox12
04-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Heaven help us if we are ever in need of playing Owens and Anderson at the same time in a meaningful situation, but I think Anderson would have to play RF because Owens has such a poor arm.

If it was a long term situation, perhaps Quentin could move to right, but I'm not in favor of moving our best player to a new position if we can avoid it.

DonnieDarko
04-19-2009, 11:16 PM
Heaven help us if we are ever in need of playing Owens and Anderson at the same time in a meaningful situation, but I think Anderson would have to play RF because Owens has such a poor arm.

If it was a long term situation, perhaps Quentin could move to right, but I'm not in favor of moving our best player to a new position if we can avoid it.

Quentin's natural position was RF, I thought?

doublem23
04-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Quentin's natural position was RF, I thought?

That's where he played the majority of his time in Arizona, yes.

Nellie_Fox
04-20-2009, 02:19 AM
+1Insightful.

kevingrt
04-22-2009, 11:31 PM
You think Ozzie saw this thread and said "F*** it. I'm going to make these guys happy and just get Jerry AB's by DH'ing him."?

Mod Edit: I think you know better than that

slavko
04-23-2009, 01:35 AM
There may be a problem for Owens, who doesn't get good reads anyway, of balls hit to LF or RF because they curve more than balls hit to CF. He does have a noodle arm, doesn't he?

soxinem1
04-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Amazing how much discussion is taking place for a guy who will probably be back in AAA in the next two weeks, thus becoming a total non-factor.........

Soxaredabest
04-23-2009, 11:16 AM
BA is the better outfielder, and since neither of them can play RF very well, they stick Owens in his familiar position.