PDA

View Full Version : New Yankee Stadium Comiskey East?

DumpJerry
04-19-2009, 05:25 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4080195

Lots o' home runs flying out. Looking forward to TCQ, Paulie, Thome and the rest of the gang play there!

BleacherBandit
04-19-2009, 07:00 PM
How many homers are hit at the Cell each year?

Citi field seems like a nicer park all around all ready.

doublem23
04-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Has anyone thought that the Yankees and Indians just have terrible pitching staffs?

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-20-2009, 06:45 AM
Has anyone thought that the Yankees and Indians just have terrible pitching staffs?

I'm on that bandwagon right now. And, let's be clear....the "launchpad" comments didn't start until Booyah started saying it.

Because, George forbid, you criticize the Yankees' $200M payroll for bad pitching....no, it HAD to be a jet stream.

ChiSoxFan81
04-20-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm on that bandwagon right now. And, let's be clear....the "launchpad" comments didn't start until Booyah started saying it.

Because, George forbid, you criticize the Yankees' $200M payroll for bad pitching....no, it HAD to be a jet stream.

I don't know. I mean, it was just the first series in the park. Time will tell, but people who were at the game said balls that looked like popouts were going out. Also, when they tear the old stadium down, it might blow out to center too.

jabrch
04-20-2009, 09:55 AM
And the weather has still been lousy. Imagine when it warms up a bit?

And yes - the Yanks pitching staff, the bullpen in particular, is horrendous.

Alexei4president
04-20-2009, 10:54 AM
ha this is pretty cool it might just be a fluke though....hope it goes are way when we visit

southside rocks
04-20-2009, 11:23 AM
There was a piece in today's NY Times about it, too, pretty interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/20/sports/baseball/20vecsey.html?_r=1&ref=sports

GoSox2K3
04-20-2009, 12:42 PM
When I saw the thread title, I thought it was referring to the blue seats, steep upper deck, not enough assymetrical design, and no view of the city skyline from the playing field.

Red Barchetta
04-20-2009, 12:44 PM
When I saw the thread title, I thought it was referring to the blue seats, steep upper deck, not enough assymetrical design, and no view of the city skyline from the playing field.

...as well as the ugly exposed concrete and wall of ads in the outfield concourse.

russ99
04-20-2009, 01:05 PM
...as well as the ugly exposed concrete and wall of ads in the outfield concourse.

Yeah, no kidding. They get the mantle of "ballmall" now. Except it's worse - a ballmall with fake tradition and vastly over-inflated prices.

oeo
04-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Another problem with that stadium: who was the moron that thought it was a good idea to put fans right at the outfield wall like that? Put a little space there so interference is not a problem. This is a brand new park, what is the point of that?

Dibbs
04-20-2009, 04:47 PM
For $1.5 billion, I can't say I am overly impressed with everything I've seen.

With every new park that opens up, I love the Cell even more and more.

Milw
04-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Glad to see that Peter Vecsey is still a pompous self-important ass.

Red Barchetta
04-20-2009, 09:38 PM

With every new park that opens up, I love the Cell even more and more.

What I find ironic is that when Comiskey II opened, I thought at the time that it looked like a modern Yankees Stadium. The blue seats, the upper deck, the outfield lattace, the blue (then black) CF hitting backdrop had a very similar feel.

I never thought Comiskey II was a bad ballpark, just that it looked sterile and unfinished. It was like building a brand new home, but running out of money to finish the landscaping, paint over the builder's primer, furnish the house and install some decorations.

Now, almost 20 years later and thanks to US Cellular, the ballpark feels like a home to the SOX and has a distinct personality compared to the sterile feeling it used to have and what the new Yankee Stadium appears to suffer from.

I was watching Baseball Tonight and the coverage from US Cellular looked so much nicer than the coverage from the new Yankee Stadium. Perhaps they will have a telco come in and sponsor some renovations in 10 years...

:D:

october23sp
04-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Another problem with that stadium: who was the moron that thought it was a good idea to put fans right at the outfield wall like that? Put a little space there so interference is not a problem. This is a brand new park, what is the point of that?

I was wondering the same thing. Most teams with older stadiums rope off the first few rows in home run territory so there is no interference. I was at the Hump Dump in 2004 and I sat in the third row in left field which is the first row you can sit it. I came damn close to taking the ball out of Lew Ford's hand when he robbed a home run of someone on our team. I also came damn close to catching a Carlos Lee home run ball that same series. The person sitting beside me, I didn't know him, was about a 6th grader and I was in 7th grade at the time, I had 100 dollars in my wallet because I just got my allowence, and I offered the kid the 100 bucks for the home run ball (Lee was my second favorite player at the time before The Big Hurt), the kid got the ball signed by the Twins mascot.:angry::angry:

Story Time is over now.:redneck

Hitmen77
04-21-2009, 01:04 PM

I noticed that too!

thomas35forever
04-21-2009, 11:41 PM
The late-night talk shows are all over this. First, Letterman was talking about it, then, Fallon did.

grenda12
04-22-2009, 10:19 AM
Maybe there's another Red Sox jersey buried in the concrete.

ChiSoxFan81
04-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Maybe there's another Red Sox jersey buried in the concrete.

Maybe the Yankees' pitching is just terrible. Remember, they have Damaso Marte.

grenda12
04-22-2009, 01:09 PM
It is the Yanks pitching.

I just think if the word got out about another Red Sox jersey being buried, maybe they'd tear something up to see. Thats what happen when that construction worker buried the Red Sox jersey in the concrete. They tore it up.

Hilarious!

BleacherBandit
04-22-2009, 08:21 PM
It is the Yanks pitching.

I just think if the word got out about another Red Sox jersey being buried, maybe they'd tear something up to see. Thats what happen when that construction worker buried the Red Sox jersey in the concrete. They tore it up.

Hilarious!

They're already going to have to do a lot more this offseason to offset that windstream. I'm actually more impressed with Citi Field. It's not a launching pad, and it has a certain unique quality which I can't put my finger on. Yankee Stadium is stamped all over with advertisements, and you can't see the $600 Million extra invested in Yankee Stadium minus the superior facade and uneccessary amenities.

scarsofthumper
04-23-2009, 09:49 AM

With every new park that opens up, I love the Cell even more and more.If you saw all the stuff they added and just how enormous that place is, you'd see why. I went to the exhibition games in NYC, 1st Yankees then Mets the next day. I love things about both of them, but they're both completely different.

They're already going to have to do a lot more this offseason to offset that windstream. I'm actually more impressed with Citi Field. It's not a launching pad, and it has a certain unique quality which I can't put my finger on. Yankee Stadium is stamped all over with advertisements, and you can't see the $600 Million extra invested in Yankee Stadium minus the superior facade and uneccessary amenities.They don't have to alter anything. Stick the balls in a humidore for a little bit. Worked in Coors.

And i'm pretty sure there are more advertisements at Citi than there are in NYS, which has the same amount as the old YS.