PDA

View Full Version : Sox to visit White House Monday...

SoxGirl4Life
04-19-2009, 04:40 PM
So, here it goes... Sox going on a little side trip tomorrow.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2009/04/obama_hosting_chicago_white_so.html

BoysMom3
04-19-2009, 04:42 PM
How exciting is that?!!!!!!

voodoochile
04-19-2009, 04:43 PM
I edited the title to something less cryptic.

Just a reminder to people, this is not a political thread. The Sox visiting the White House is always cool for Sox fans regardless of your political viewpoint. Please don't turn this into something it's not.

If you have to talk politics then please joing us at: http://www.wsiforums.com/index.php

SoxGirl4Life
04-19-2009, 04:45 PM
I edited the title to something less cryptic.

Just a reminder to people, this is not a political thread. The Sox visiting the White House is always cool for Sox fans regardless of your political viewpoint. Please don't turn this into something it's not.

If you have to talk politics then please joing us at: http://www.wsiforums.com/index.php

Thanks Voodoo!

getonbckthr
04-19-2009, 04:45 PM
Ehh I dont like it. Thats a perk of winning a championship.

kevingrt
04-19-2009, 05:05 PM

Kind of agree. But it will still be incredibly exciting for the players I bet. Better win, check that Tuesday night though.

AlleghenySoxFan
04-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Kind of agree. But it will still be incredibly exciting for the players I bet. Better win tomorrow night though.

Yeah they better win. I don't want a repeat of when Obama saw the Bulls.

Rohan
04-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Kind of agree. But it will still be incredibly exciting for the players I bet. Better win tomorrow night though.

Yeah i agree..
I think it'd be cooler if Obama could go to a game. Get one of those private boxes and watch from their with all the security he needs.
Not playing tomorrow night though.

SoxGirl4Life
04-19-2009, 05:12 PM

They have a day off tomorrow.

rookie
04-19-2009, 06:22 PM

Yeah, but it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I doubt anyone wants to win the Series just so they could go to the White House. Now if we were talking about the Playboy mansion that might be a different story.

Though look where the Bulls are now. I'll take a repeat of that! You think the people in Baltimore are buying up tickets for an off chance the Prez will show up like he did at the Wizards game? The Bulls loss hurt more because it was toward the ends part of the season. Even if it distracts the Sox, at least it's at the beginning.

oeo
04-19-2009, 06:33 PM

I'm sure that's what they're playing for...a trip to the White House.

If you're invited, go. I don't see the problem. :shrug:

DSpivack
04-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Cool. Can I come?

HomeFish
04-19-2009, 06:41 PM
If the President wants to meet you, you should probably do it.

California Sox
04-19-2009, 07:36 PM
If the President wants to meet you, you should probably do it.

Actually the President already knows a lot of them. He's somewhat close to KW and to Reifort. I will not express a political opinion one way or the other, but the guy is a true Sox fan. :cool:

(You know if I became President -- god forbid -- I'd probably invite the Sox over too.)

HomeFish
04-19-2009, 07:42 PM
(You know if I became President -- god forbid -- I'd probably invite the Sox over too.)

Absolutely. I'd tell BA he's lucky the President doesn't have the power to make Congress pass bills of attainder too!

chisox77
04-19-2009, 08:06 PM
This is a great thing for the players and the organization. President Obama is a White Sox fan, and wants his favorite team over for a visit. And it does increase the visibility of the team.

chisoxfanatic
04-19-2009, 08:09 PM
If I was president, the Hawks, Bears, Sox, and Bulls wouldn't be staying in a hotel when they play in the DC/Baltimore area. They'd be staying with me instead.

I'd also eliminate the Senate portion of Congress and replace them with true senators...the Ottawa Senators with Jason Spezza as the Senate Majority Leader! :D:

chisox77
04-19-2009, 08:16 PM
If I was president, the Hawks, Bears, Sox, and Bulls wouldn't be staying in a hotel when they play in the DC/Baltimore area. They'd be staying with me instead.

I'd also eliminate the Senate portion of Congress and replace them with true senators...the Ottawa Senators with Jason Spezza as the Senate Majority Leader! :D:

With that signature you have, Blackhawks executives should make sure you attend games as often as possible.

chisoxfanatic
04-19-2009, 08:18 PM
With that signature you have, Blackhawks executives should make sure you attend games as often as possible.
I will next season, as I'm going with full season tickets next year. :gulp:

The only game the Hawks have lost in regulation was when I got away from my sweater rotation (Seabrook, Kane, Havlat---repeat!) and wore my Amonte sweater for Tony Amonte Heritage Night.

I've never had a losing record attending games in any season. Even a few years ago when they finished last in the conference, I still finished .500.

Britt Burns
04-19-2009, 09:55 PM
What a thrill for the team. hopefully they will be visiting again early in 2010 as is custom for previous year's Series winner.

Woofer
04-19-2009, 10:03 PM
The way I see it, it's quite an honor for both the team, and the President.:cool:

kevingrt
04-19-2009, 10:14 PM
The way I see it, it's quite an honor for both the team, and the President.:cool:

I know how cool to see the 2009 WS Champs!

Woofer
04-19-2009, 10:17 PM
I know how cool to see the 2009 WS Champs!

That would be sweet!

cheezheadsoxfan
04-19-2009, 10:31 PM
This is a great thing for the players and the organization. President Obama is a White Sox fan, and wants his favorite team over for a visit. And it does increase the visibility of the team.

Totally agree. I think the visibility is great. Just hope ESPN manages to say "White" in front of "Sox".:

DSpivack
04-19-2009, 10:43 PM

The White House doesn't have that many bedrooms. :tongue:

chisoxfanatic
04-20-2009, 12:39 AM
The White House doesn't have that many bedrooms. :tongue:
Don't you worry now...Sharpie, Seabrook, and Burish could stay in my room! :cool:

Frankfan4life
04-20-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm wondering if this is precedent-setting or have other presidents invited their favorite teams, actors, singers, etc. to visit the White House?

DonnieDarko
04-20-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm wondering if this is precedent-setting or have other presidents invited their favorite teams, actors, singers, etc. to visit the White House?

I'm pretty sure that Kennedy "invited" over Marlyn Monroe on a few occasions.:tongue:

HomeFish
04-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Nixon was friends with Sammy Davis, Jr.

Frankfan4life
04-20-2009, 01:43 PM
I'm pretty sure that Kennedy "invited" over Marlyn Monroe on a few occasions.:tongue: And let's not get into how many "friendly visits" there were during Clinton's administration. :redface:

Seriously though, is this some kind of Presidential/White House tradition? Do presidents traditionally invite their favorite stars, teams, etc. to the White House?

DonnieDarko
04-20-2009, 01:45 PM
From what I can tell, it's not an "official" tradition. It falls more under the category of if the president invites you to the White House, you just don't say no--even if you don't like the guy.

Frankfan4life
04-20-2009, 01:53 PM
From what I can tell, it's not an "official" tradition. It falls more under the category of if the president invites you to the White House, you just don't say no--even if you don't like the guy.I would definitely consider it an honor if a President of the United States invited me anywhere.

jabrch
04-20-2009, 01:59 PM

Imagine what they'd do to the Lincoln Bedroom?

TommyJohn
04-20-2009, 02:43 PM
From what I can tell, it's not an "official" tradition. It falls more under the category of if the president invites you to the White House, you just don't say no--even if you don't like the guy.
Unless you're Michael Jordan.

TDog
04-20-2009, 02:45 PM

It is never a bad thing to remind America that the president from Chicago is a White Sox fan.

DSpivack
04-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Nixon was friends with Sammy Davis, Jr.

Don't forget Elvis' visit, either. A strange moment in American history.

ramblinsoxfan11
04-20-2009, 02:53 PM
I see this as more of a political move, obviously Obama is trying to get Ozzie to become the new white house spokesperson :D:

cheezheadsoxfan
04-20-2009, 02:57 PM
I see this as more of a political move, obviously Obama is trying to get Ozzie to become the new white house spokesperson :D:

OMG! What a thought. :cool:

Jenks4Prez
04-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Ozzie isn't going to snub this President like he did the last one?

russ99
04-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Ozzie isn't going to snub this President like he did the last one?

Well, Ozzie is in Miami today... :wink:

And I'm not sure if Obama's going to be available to meet the Sox today either. Guess it will have to wait until Barack comes home to throw out that first pitch.

BRDSR
04-20-2009, 03:43 PM
I just walked by the White House about an hour ago. I actually noticed that there were more people standing on the back lawn (facing the Pennsylvania Ave. walkway area) than usual. Some men and some women (players' wives?) and of varying ethnicities/races (I only mention that because you can only get close enough to see that level of detail).

Was probably the team. Pretty cool.

anewman35
04-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Well, Ozzie is in Miami today... :wink:

And I'm not sure if Obama's going to be available to meet the Sox today either. Guess it will have to wait until Barack comes home to throw out that first pitch.

No details yet, but the Sox did meet Obama...

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/04/white-sox-meet-president-obama-nix-starts-rehab-assignment.html

Sockinchisox
04-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Dotel asked for and received a hug from him.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/04/white-soxs-dotel-receives-a-hug-from-president-obama.html

Martinigirl
04-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Dotel asked for and received a hug from him.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/04/white-soxs-dotel-receives-a-hug-from-president-obama.html

That is hilarious.

I love the fact they were invited and went. I think it is great.

anewman35
04-20-2009, 07:15 PM
There are a few details now on Politico: http://www.politico.com/politico44/wbarchive/whiteboard04202009.html

SoxGirl4Life
04-20-2009, 07:16 PM
http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2009/04/obama_just_wrapped_up_meeting.html

Sockinchisox
04-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Nice hair TCQ.

SoxGirl4Life
04-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Nice hair TCQ.

Shhh.. its his power!

guillensdisciple
04-20-2009, 07:25 PM
White Sox win the world series.

daveeym
04-20-2009, 07:29 PM
Nice hair TCQ.Gimminy Jillickers!!!! Is that Dye? I mean, I'm about his age and I feel ancient but I never realized I look that old. It's amazing the type of style you can pull off with a uniform.

daveeym
04-20-2009, 07:34 PM
I think the sox could give the bulls a run for their money based on the pictures there. The sox apparently have the taller average height.

soxfan43
04-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Tiger Woods met with Obama today as well, busy day.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/04/20/obama.woods.whitesox.ap/index.html

rdwj
04-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Nice hair TCQ.

Ya, needs to keep the cap on. That is one goofy do

WhiteSox1989
04-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Lets all stop and think about AJ's hair as well...so ridiculous.

But I love them!

How cool for them and their families.

ramblinsoxfan11
04-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Bulls definitely win best dressed, and by the Bulls I mean D Rose, he can pull off the pin stripe suit :cool:

CLR01
04-20-2009, 08:20 PM
I really hope the SS didn't beat the crap out of Anderson. I'd hate to see Owens in center everyday. :(:

One of the articles said 30 players met with the president. I assume Wise was there, I wonder who the other 4 were.

ChiSoxGirl
04-20-2009, 08:41 PM
That is so bad ass. :cool:

Soxaredabest
04-20-2009, 09:40 PM

I think the news of the day is that TCQ is smiling in this picture!

SoXPriDe33
04-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Bulls definitely win best dressed, and by the Bulls I mean D Rose, he can pull off the pin stripe suit :cool:

I don't know about that, the glasses Noah had on are scary.

doublem23
04-20-2009, 10:13 PM

Not as long as Noah is around.

http://daveholt.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/2007_06_sports_joakim_noah_draft.jpg

anewman35
04-20-2009, 10:24 PM
I really hope the SS didn't beat the crap out of Anderson. I'd hate to see Owens in center everyday. :(:

One of the articles said 30 players met with the president. I assume Wise was there, I wonder who the other 4 were.

The line was "About 30 players and their wives and other staff members went on the tour." I'm guessing one of two things: the writer (Mark Gonzales) thinks 25 is "about 30" or it's poorly written and the 30 includes "wives and other staff members" (which I think is more likely, since we know Ozzie didn't go because he had other plans, and I think I read that some players had other plans, too). I find it rather unlikely that they flew additional players to Washington just for this.

SOXPHILE
04-21-2009, 08:22 AM
I know this sounds nit-picky, but I really think the Tribune dropped the ball on this.

The front page has a picture of KW and the president, with the line Sox visit No. 1 fan. It then directs you to go to page 3 for the story. When you do, the first thing you see is a HUGE CUBS LOGO with Alfonso Soriano, along with some nonsense, tongue in cheek article about new perks they should offer at Wrigley. Then, off to the right, is a small picture of KW and Thome at the White House, above the article.

I don't care that they had (another) Cubs fluff piece, but I question the placement of it, when one of the stories of the day was the Sox visiting the White House. If the situation were reversed, I seriously doubt there would be a huge Sox logo and fluff piece next to the Cubs story.

I'll put away my tin foil hat now.

SoxandtheCityTee
04-21-2009, 08:36 AM
I'll put away my tin foil hat now.

I know what you mean -- no one wants to sound paranoid -- but I suspect that even under new ownership, if the incumbent president were a Flubs fan and the team visited while in DC to play the Nats, the Trib would run a special commemorative pull-out. Assuming they could afford to pay for the ink and paper, of course.

The cool part is that I don't care. Nobody does. Let the new ownership of the Trib be just as clueless as the old.

tebman
04-21-2009, 08:46 AM
I know what you mean -- no one wants to sound paranoid -- but I suspect that even under new ownership, if the incumbent president were a Flubs fan and the team visited while in DC to play the Nats, the Trib would run a special commemorative pull-out. Assuming they could afford to pay for the ink and paper, of course.

The cool part is that I don't care. Nobody does. Let the new ownership of the Trib be just as clueless as the old.

:thumbsup: