PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Revenge is Sweet 4-19 Post-game thread

DumpJerry
04-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Solid pitching. Check.
Solid hitting. Check.
Good fielding. Check.
Put the hurt on the Rays for last year. Triple check!

We were one bad pitch away from sweeping the Rays in their crappy home. Twins: take notice.:D:

Excellent series!
:):gulp:

esbrechtel
04-19-2009, 03:34 PM
I was really hoping the sox picked up 2 victories in St Pete....Boy is it nice to get 3!:bandance:

Way to go guys...lets put together a nice streak!

BleacherBandit
04-19-2009, 03:35 PM
We should have swept them, but I'll take 3 of 4. :cool:

NDSox12
04-19-2009, 03:36 PM
The Sox are already just only one win shy of their 2008 artificial surface win total.

Great series! On to Baltimore...

Carolina Kenny
We can play long ball.
We can play small ball.
We play all ball.

russ99
This team is looking real good. Keep it up guys. :D:

Hopefully Alexei gets back on track making this lineup even more dangerous.

oeo
Like last year in this 4 game series, we could have swept. At least this time we took three of four. :D:

longtimesoxguy
04-19-2009, 03:37 PM
I like what I'm seeing!!!! Let's not let up in Baltimore

guillensdisciple
Reserving playoff tickets:D:.

SoxGirl4Life
:bandance:Winnin' in the dome!:bandance:

I see a nice trend starting with the line-ups! All versions of them!

SoxGirl4Life
04-19-2009, 03:38 PM
We can play long ball.
We can play small ball.
We play all ball.
:thumbsup:

Thatguyoverthere
Carlos Quentin with another bomb. Look out Barry Bonds!:D:

thedudeabides
Awesome series! Three out of four in a dome and two with Betemit starting. I have no complaints. :bandance:

Thatguyoverthere
04-19-2009, 03:39 PM
We're batting .327 as a team in domes this year! Bring it, Twinkies.:cool:

oeo
04-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Carlos Quentin with another bomb. Look out Barry Bonds!:D:

On pace to hit 95 dingers. :moonwalk:

chisox77
This was a very solid series. Always good to get three of four from a good team. Good approach by White Sox hitters, being patient. Also, the top of the lineup with Getz and Lillibridge looks very promising. And the pitching has been exceptional.

On to Baltimore to face an upgraded Orioles team. Let's get at least two of three from them to finish off a good road trip.

Quentin4prez
it really would be nice to see barry bond's single season HR record to be broken already And having a sox player do it would make it that much sweeter. TCQ is a beast right now
on another note did anyone watch baseball tonight when they talked about the whitesox starting pitching staff having one of the top five era's and and BA's in the game

kevingrt
04-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Can everyone earn PTC awards for today?

SoxSpeed22
Great series by the starting pitchers. All four pitchers had good outings (despite Colon's box score) and kept the Rays bats in check. Our versatility this year, compared to last year is really starting to stand out. Quentin is starting to hit the ball again, and Konerko's off to a hot start. Now we go to Baltimore, and hopefully we can build some momentum early.

Railsplitter
take the of four in the other guys park- a very succesful weekend! :bandance::bandance:

guillensdisciple
Lets hope this continues in the cold weather. I would like to see a long winning streak that puts us at the top of the A.L.

whitesoxfan
04-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Awesome job winning 3 of 4 against a good team in a dome. Now, onto our outdoor house of horrors at Baltimore. Hopefully we can win 2 out of 3 there and finish this road trip with six wins.

DumpJerry
04-19-2009, 03:43 PM
First time we've won consecutive games on artificial turf since Sept. 21-22, 2007 in Minnesota.

JB98
04-19-2009, 03:44 PM
I thought the key play in the game was in the sixth when Garza flubbed that check-swing chopper by BA. Not only did Garza not catch it clean, he compounded matters by chucking it down the right-field line.

If he makes that play, he gets out of the inning down 4-0 and the Rays are still in it. Instead, a fifth run scored. Then, Getz really made it hurt by delivering the two-out, two-run single to make it 7-0. The game was over at that point.

Really solid game for the Sox today. EVERYONE contributed. This was an excellent series, and it gives me a lot of optimism moving forward. I was hoping for a split this weekend, and we got three out of four. :bandance:

palehozenychicty
04-19-2009, 03:45 PM
The Sox are looking very impressive. I still think Tampa has the goods to win it all, but this is a strong statement. I am no longer sleeping on Lillibridge. Sometimes, these guys just need faith and time to learn.

doublem23
What was our BA hitting with 2-out, RISP?

manders_01
The past two games have been soooooo fun to watch. The team looks great and taking the series was awesome! :spongebob:

doublem23
04-19-2009, 03:46 PM
The past two games have been soooooo fun to watch. The team looks great and taking the series was awesome! :spongebob:

Spongebob makes his first appearance.

Quentin4prez
04-19-2009, 03:46 PM
What was our BA hitting with 2-out, RISP?
i don't know about it anymore i know it was .150 something before yesterdays game but today we went 6-13

manders_01
04-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Spongebob makes his first appearance.

Nah, that's like the third time I've used him. I love SBSP! :D:

ramblinsoxfan11
04-19-2009, 03:48 PM
Great win today! Good to see Floyd's pitching back to where it should be, he had a ruff outing last time. Congrats on 3 out of 4, let's take on Baltimore!! :bandance:

ChiSoxGirl
04-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Look at that.... Whether I'm sitting in the Tampa Airport like right now or actually at The Trop like last night, the team plays well. Who wants to start the "Jen Fund" for me to come down here every time our team plays here? :wink:

BoysMom3
04-19-2009, 03:50 PM
Watching a game doesn't get much better than this!!!! Besides all the things already said about the players, I like it that the guys that are usually very slow to start, are looking good already. (Paulie, JD, AJ, Thome)

thedudeabides
i don't know about it anymore i know it was .150 something before yesterdays game but today we went 6-13

Awesome coaching by Walker today. :cool:

Sargeant79
No walks for Floyd today was huge after the way his last outing went. That ability to bounce back goes a long way toward helping to prove that last year wasn't a fluke for him.

It's still very early, but I'm encouraged by what seems to be a great deal of improvement in their ability to manufacture runs. The home runs were there today too and they always will be for this team, but there have been a lot of RBI singles and doubles the last week or so. Good to see.

Rohan
04-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Now that's what i call white sox baseball!

Dan H
04-19-2009, 03:52 PM
On pace to hit 95 dingers. :moonwalk:
I guess no one has to worry about Quentin coming back from his injury.

JB98
04-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Look at that.... Whether I'm sitting in the Tampa Airport like right now or actually at The Trop like last night, the team plays well. Who wants to start the "Jen Fund" for me to come down here every time our team plays here? :wink:

Well, the Sox won't play in Tampa Bay again until October (if the Rays make the playoffs).

You've got some time to save. :D:

JB98
04-19-2009, 03:58 PM

I could tell the first game of the Twins series that Quentin was about go ape****. He's killing the ball right now.

guillensdisciple
04-19-2009, 03:59 PM
I could tell the first game of the Twins series that Quentin was about go ape****. He's killing the ball right now.

I don't think ape **** begins to describe what Carlos Quentin will do to opposing pitching this year.

russ99
04-19-2009, 04:11 PM
I don't think ape **** begins to describe what Carlos Quentin will do to opposing pitching this year.

And while Thome brings lots to the table in the 4 spot, I really think Ozzie should move Dye up. They're both a real handful for opposing pitchers right now.

BRDSR
04-19-2009, 04:13 PM

Over/under on how many home runs TCQ will need to hit before nobody in the game thread or post game thread will make this comment?

I say 17.

Quentin4prez
04-19-2009, 04:14 PM
40 homeruns and 100 RBI would be very good from him along with a PK bounceback year and we are going to the playoffs

Quentin4prez
04-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Over/under on how many home runs TCQ will need to hit before nobody in the game thread or post game thread will make this comment?

I say 17.
i'd guess about 20

SoxGirl4Life
04-19-2009, 04:15 PM
I think this series win in a dome will do a hell of alot for them mentally going into Minny and Toronto.

Check that: I think it will do alot for ME mentally when they're going into Minny or Toronto!! :gulp:

Really, someone is complaining about AJ throwing people out on the postgame??

LoveYourSuit
04-19-2009, 04:16 PM
What a series!

That's some damn good starting pitching we mashed away at. The patience at the plate by our hitters is something I am loving. BA in the #9 slot and taking a ton of pitches is a HUGE asset for us right now.

You would have asked me between CQ and Alexei who would take a step back this season..... The clear winner would be CQ. It's looking like everyone is going to be wrong. Still early for Alexei to turn it around.

BoysMom3
04-19-2009, 04:19 PM

:cheers:

Lundind1
04-19-2009, 04:24 PM
I like what I see thus far. If all stays well, we have one of the most competitive clubs in the league. Of course this is a long season, so we shall wait and see.

ChiSoxGirl
04-19-2009, 04:26 PM
I think this series win in a dome will do a hell of alot for them mentally going into Minny and Toronto.

Check that: I think it will do alot for ME mentally when they're going into Minny or Toronto!! :gulp:

Really, someone is complaining about AJ throwing people out on the postgame??

Some people just need something to complain about all the time. :(:

soxpride724
04-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Taking three out of four from Tampa in Tampa, is pretty damn impressive. One mistake from sweeping the Rays.:gulp:

voodoochile
04-19-2009, 04:29 PM
i'd guess about 20

So, end of April? :cool:

Just touching the surface of how good this team can be.

:winner

:)

Foulke You
04-19-2009, 04:31 PM
It's nice to see the offense getting runs in ways other than the long ball, although, we still seem to do that pretty well too! Richard and Carrasco threw the ball better this series too albeit in mop up roles mostly. If I see Jose Contreras give a dominant performance against Baltimore then I'll start to feel real warm and fuzzy about this team.:cool:

asindc
04-19-2009, 04:41 PM
I really like the way BA, Getz, and Lillibridge are working the pitchers to get a good pitch to hit. Here's to those guys.:gulp: DA on the radio broadcast commented that BA is standing closer to the plate this year, so he is not as vunerable to the outside slider as last year. I really believe with our 9, 1, and 2 hitters being on base more the offense is rounding into shape. Love being able to score runs without hits.

Qdiddy
04-19-2009, 04:42 PM
I think we all expect Carlos to do his thing, but I think the real key to the offense clicking the way it has been is because of Paulie's hitting. He's been driving in some big 2 out runs, and has been keeping the line moving.

I have always been the first guy to knock Paulie in the past, so I just want to be the first guy this time to give him some love for the nice start. How awesome would it be to mix in a 2006ish Paulie with a hot 2009 Carlos. NOw, only if we can get Thome going.

GO SOX!

DumpJerry
04-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks to our very good friend Kyle Farnsworth, the Sox are back in First Place.

Kyle came in the bottom of the Ninth with the score tied 5-5. Left with the Rangers winning 6-5. Michael Young went yard.

He is soooo reliable for us!

:bandance:

UofCSoxFan
04-19-2009, 05:19 PM

I say 17.

Q obviously looks more than ok but that doesn't mean it wasn't a valid concern coming into the season. Derek Lee has never been the same since his injury, and David Ortiz is off to a horrible start this year.

palehozenychicty
04-19-2009, 05:24 PM
Q obviously looks more than ok but that doesn't mean it wasn't a valid concern coming into the season. Derek Lee has never been the same since his injury, and David Ortiz is off to a horrible start this year.

Ortiz may nearly be done. He hasn't been feared since early 07. There's a reason why the Sawx nation was disappointed in not getting Teixeira, although I think he's overrated as a hitter.

You are right, in that wrist injuries rarely bode well. If TCQ is an exception, then real good for us.

TDog
04-19-2009, 05:29 PM
I was not convinced coming into this season that the 2009 Rays are much better than a .500 team, but I am impressed with how well the White Sox played indoors in St. Petersburg.

A head-to-head series against an opponent from a different division doesn't necessarily tell you much about how the teams might match up over the long haul. Still, the Sox faced the three best starters the Rays have and turned in pretty good offensive games against each.

It's possible the skills the White Sox possess this year will make them a better dome team. They have Anderson playing in center and have more speed this season. Essentially, they were 1 pitch from sweeping the series. Likewise, they were 1 different pitch from splitting the series. Considering the heartbreak of Friday night and the WSI consternation over Thursday's win, it turned out to be a great weekend.

It's odd that the White Sox have a higher winning percentage on artificial turf than the Twins do at this point.

MarySwiss
04-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Thanks to our very good friend Kyle Farnsworth, the Sox are back in First Place.

Kyle came in the bottom of the Ninth with the score tied 5-5. Left with the Rangers winning 6-5. Michael Young went yard.

He is soooo reliable for us!

Don'tcha just love seeing him come in in game situations? We can only hope he stays this consistently awful! :D:

ChiSoxGirl
04-19-2009, 05:33 PM
I think we all expect Carlos to do his thing, but I think the real key to the offense clicking the way it has been is because of Paulie's hitting. He's been driving in some big 2 out runs, and has been keeping the line moving.

I have always been the first guy to knock Paulie in the past, so I just want to be the first guy this time to give him some love for the nice start. How awesome would it be to mix in a 2006ish Paulie with a hot 2009 Carlos. NOw, only if we can get Thome going.

GO SOX!

I had fantastic seats at last night's game and both my friend and I noticed how well Paulie was seeing the ball. His 3-for-4 evening was proof of that!

SoxGirl4Life
04-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Don'tcha just love seeing him come in in game situations? We can only hope he stays this consistently awful! :D:

Its up to 100% probability that he gives up the game. If it could be 110%, he would do that too!

jabrch
04-19-2009, 08:16 PM
I had fantastic seats at last night's game and both my friend and I noticed how well Paulie was seeing the ball. His 3-for-4 evening was proof of that!

When Frater is silent about PK, you know he is going well.

Hey FP - where's the meter?

Bucky F. Dent
04-19-2009, 08:29 PM

Just hope he doesn't tank so badly that they release him!

Frater Perdurabo
04-19-2009, 08:45 PM
When Frater is silent about PK, you know he is going well.

Hey FP - where's the meter?

Paulie has an OPS over .850. Therefore, there's nothing for me to criticize.

Keep it up, Paulie! :D:

doublem23
04-19-2009, 08:58 PM
there's nothing for me to criticize.

Feels good!

Lip Man 1
04-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Double:

I like the Calvin and Hobbs sig.

-------------------------

12 runs on 17 hits is damn impressive. They had a good weekend in Tampa. The average with runners in scoring position went up a notch.

Hopefully they can keep it going in Baltimore.

Lip

Britt Burns
04-19-2009, 09:35 PM
YES!! Great series...pitching, hitting, some good D, thye Sox even flashed a little speed here and there. Hopefully the RISP hitting problems we've had early in the year will go away for good now.

mccoydp
04-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Great game, with good hitting and pitching from the Sox.

It makes you wonder: wouldn't Quentin have been a huge factor in the ALDS last year vs. the Rays? I think so, without question.

johnnyg83
04-19-2009, 09:59 PM

Tip o the hat. Yes you did.

Woofer
04-19-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm darn glad that we won 3/4, though we should have swept. Ok, on to Baltimore, let's sweep there.

JermaineDye05
04-20-2009, 12:18 AM

Same here. I said after I believe it was his 3rd ab against RA Dickey, he flew out. I said that he had about 5 abs until he'd be mashing HRs. Well TCQ wasn't ready to settle for 5, he homered his next ab :cool:.

EuroSox35
04-20-2009, 12:42 AM
Very nice series. At the start of the season I wasn't sure about Getz, but the more I see him the more I like. Good to see the young guys get on.