PDA

View Full Version : rauch?

Bmr31
08-04-2001, 01:55 AM
Is he gonna be ready by April, 2002?

Jerry_Manuel
08-04-2001, 02:01 AM
I assume you mean will he be healthy enough to pitch in AAA. I would guess he would be 100% by April. But he won't make the Sox opening day roster if that is what you are asking.

Bmr31
08-04-2001, 02:03 AM
ummmmmmm if hes healthy in march of 2002, hes making the sox roster.....

Jerry_Manuel
08-04-2001, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
ummmmmmm if hes healthy in march of 2002, hes making the sox roster.....

I see him getting a call up but not starting with the team. I just don't think they will put a guy coming off of an operation on the team. But then again who knows what is going through the mind of a Jerry Manuel. As long as Biddle isn't starting I am ok.

Bmr31
08-04-2001, 02:09 AM
Thats why i asked if he was going to be healthy. IF hes 100 percent i give him a good shot at making the team. I just dont think he will be 100 percent by then.

Jerry_Manuel
08-04-2001, 02:12 AM
Thats why i asked if he was going to be healthy. IF hes 100 percent i give him a good shot at making the team. I just dont think he will be 100 percent by then.

I haven't seen any reports on how his rehab is going or if he has even began rehab. So your guess is as good as mine.

Bmr31
08-04-2001, 02:14 AM
Personally, ive been counting on Rauch being our future ace. I sure hope he can bounce back!

Jerry_Manuel
08-04-2001, 02:17 AM
Personally, ive been counting on Rauch being our future ace. I sure hope he can bounce back!

I think he will be able to bonce back but the road to being the staff ace will just take a little longer due to the injury and the fact that Buehrle is looking mighty impressive.

Bmr31
08-04-2001, 02:20 AM
Right now i see Rauch, Garland, Buehrle..........for the top three. THis is 2 or 3 years down the road of course.

Iguana775
08-04-2001, 09:14 AM
i really doubt rauch will be major league ready next year. he may be 100% but i think he still needs some innings in the minors before he is ready to kick some ass up in the bigs.

harwar
08-04-2001, 10:30 AM
Rauch is a long way from being a consistant big league pitcher.He hasn't even faced big league hitters yet.Mostly school kids & south africans.I believe he will be on the staff,but hes' a few years away.Buerhle is our ace for years to come.

Iguana775
08-04-2001, 10:32 AM
totally agree harwar.

Randar68
08-04-2001, 11:06 AM
Rauch is a long way from being a consistant big league pitcher.He hasn't even faced big league hitters yet.Mostly school kids & south africans.I believe he will be on the staff,but hes' a few years away.Buerhle is our ace for years to come

That is an absolutely rediculous statement.

He played Div 1 A Baseball for 2 years, spent all of last season between AA and A, and made 6, albeit, injury plagued appearances in AAA this year after pitching in the Olympics and having similar success to Ben Sheets and Roy Oswalt, and where are they again????

Not only that, but he made several appearances against major league hitters in Spring Training.

He will be ready to come back about the same time the minor league season wraps up, about the start of October. That is the typical turnaround time on this type of shoulder injury/surgery. Baldwin and Howry both had similar surgeries and Howry was back on the mound and throwing harder than last season as of April.

Is he ready? Well, If Buehrle, Biddle, and Wright can go straight from AA to the majors, then Jon Rauch already has them beat on every single angle you can work.

I would guess Rauch will participate in the Arizona Fall League and go from there to Spring Training. Right now I don't think there will be a spot for him in the rotation (Garland, Wells, Buehrle, Wright, Lowe is my prediction, barring a trade/FA) and with all of the bullpen guys coming back from injury, there really won't be a place for him until someone pitches themself off the roster or gets hurt.

All that being said, my preference would be to have him start in AAA and have some success there first, but if he pitches like Buehrle did in spring training, then what can you do but find a spot for him.....

However, your statements about his readiness and lack of experience are ill-informed.....

Bmr31
08-04-2001, 03:16 PM
Buehrle is a very good pitcher but im hoping and praying he is not our ace. He is more like a #2 or # 3 guy, on a good staff. IF he is our "ace for years to come" we're ****ed.

Bmr31
08-04-2001, 03:59 PM
I agree with everything Randar said........WHOOOOOOA, lol.

harwar
08-04-2001, 05:26 PM
Hey Randar,i guess your vacation didn't go so well.Chill out man,it wasn't meant to be a personal attack on your family or anything :)If you would read my statement again you may notice that i said BIG LEAGUE HITTERS not minor league.Theres a world of diference.I also said MOSTLY school kids and south africans not ALL.I've made many absolutely rediculous statements in my time,no doubt about that.But i don't believe this to be one of them.

Bmr31
08-04-2001, 05:48 PM
Hey randar or anyone else who has an opinion......

DO you think rauch will have lost velocity on his fastball, after the surgery??

Jerry_Manuel
08-04-2001, 05:50 PM

I might be wrong and if I am Randar will correct me but I don't think Rauch had an over powering fastball to begin with.

Bmr31
08-04-2001, 05:51 PM
Well i think it was in the low to mid 90's and it could be affected.

Daver
08-04-2001, 05:57 PM
Howry had similar surgery and his velocity was down for about half the season,but now it is right where it was before the surgery,if not a little better.For this reason I don't thinkyou will see Rauch on the roster next year,the Sox want him to have every opprtunity to succeed when he comes up,not set him up to fail,he will probably start next season in AA and move to AAA early.
But then again what the hell do I know.

Bmr31
08-04-2001, 06:00 PM
Actually, Daver, that makes a lot of sense. thanks.

Chisoxfn
08-04-2001, 07:02 PM
Well, I think we are all leaving out one guy who in my opinion has the definately potential to be a front line starter and that is Danny Wright. This guy has phenomenal start and will be a main stay in this rotation for a long time. Now I'm not sure if he should be in the rotation right now, but in time he definately will fit in there. Right now I would have Ginter in there over him, with Wright working out of the pen because that is the best way to bring guys up.

Jerry_Manuel
08-04-2001, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Well, I think we are all leaving out one guy who in my opinion has the definately potential to be a front line starter and that is Danny Wright. This guy has phenomenal start and will be a main stay in this rotation for a long time. Now I'm not sure if he should be in the rotation right now, but in time he definately will fit in there

Williams has said that Wright would make a good closer and if he thinks that then it could be adios Keith.

Chisoxfn
08-04-2001, 07:06 PM
The Hell with Wright as the closer, I am all ready looking to see Glover get a couple save opportunities this year and then next year get groomed and maybe even become the closer with Keith getting dealt.

I love the way Glover pitches, when he is in, I'm relaxed.

Randar68
08-05-2001, 01:44 PM

Well, Like Jerry said, Rauch does not have Bartolo Colon/Randy Johnson heat, but he does throw very hard. Scouts rave about him mechanics, because he doesn't over-throw, and his heat is consistent throughout the game. In his last start befor being selected for Team USA, he hit 95 several times in the ninth inning of a CG shutout...

The best thing about when his surgery was done, is that he will be ready to start throwing around the end of the season, and should be capable of pitching in the Arizona Fall League. I believe his velocity will be back by the start of next season, maybe not by the start of Spring Traing, but this is just all my opinion based on the diagnosis that I have read.

Hey Randar,i guess your vacation didn't go so well.Chill out man,it wasn't meant to be a personal attack on your family or anything

Nope, my vacation was great, your opinion is just very far off from what I have seen coming from the Sox organization. Again, he has more experience against better competition than Danny Wright, Mark Buehrle, or Rocky Biddle had when they were recalled....

he will probably start next season in AA and move to AAA early.

Well, Rauch is already beyond AA, injury, or no injury. He started this season in AAA, and assuming he does not make the team out of Spring Training, he will again be in AAA to start 2002.

Williams has said that Wright would make a good closer and if he thinks that then it could be adios Keith.

You beat me to it, JM. If Wright doesn't develop a better 3rd pitch, he may be slated as the closer of the future, and by all accounts, from people that know him, he has that Mitch Williams-type mentality. Personally, I would like to see him get a full season of starting under his belt before that type of decision is made....

Again, for the most part, these are just my opinions....

Daver
08-05-2001, 01:49 PM
I was saying AA as a rehab type assignment,I was not aware that he would return from surgery in time to play winter ball,so yes he will return to AAA.

Randar68
08-05-2001, 01:51 PM
Hey Daver, I figured that was what you were referring to, but you never know....

Bmr31
08-05-2001, 09:03 PM
Keith foulke is a very good pitcher. Should he be a closer? no. But i think we would be very dumb to let him go. He was a dominant set up guy. Im aware that you dont want to pay set up guys what foulke wants, but i still think we should keep him.

Daver
08-05-2001, 09:08 PM
At the asking price of 8 mil for 4 years,bye Keith,it's been nice having you here.

Bmr31
08-05-2001, 09:22 PM
So hes asking for 32 million?

Daver
08-05-2001, 09:25 PM
Yes he is.You want to pay a 2 pitch pitcher that kind of scratch?

Bmr31
08-05-2001, 10:56 PM
No i wouldnt pay him that, but someone will. I guess i cant blame the sox for letting him go, if they do.

Bmr31
08-06-2001, 12:49 AM
I know foulke doesnt deserve all that money, but id really hate to see him go.