PDA

View Full Version : TCQ 2008-2009 comparison

JermaineDye05
04-18-2009, 10:01 PM
11 games in last year, Carlos was hitting 7th in the White Sox lineup still. With a .222 avg 1 HR 10 RBI, needless to say he hadn't established himself just yet.

Looking at Carlos now, after a great season under his belt and recovering from a wrist injury. Carlos is batting .308 with 6 HR and 11 RBI, his OBP stands at .429.

It's early, but so far Carlos has looked pretty good.

Folks, I think he'll be just fine this year.

HomeFish
04-18-2009, 10:14 PM
It's April 18. He has plenty of time to fall back to Earth if that is what his fate is.

HebrewHammer
04-18-2009, 10:27 PM
It's April 18. He has plenty of time to fall back to Earth if that is what his fate is.

Wow. You can't even feel optimistic about Carlos? Really?

:prozac

DumpJerry
04-18-2009, 10:31 PM
We're talking about a White Sox player here.......

DonnieDarko
04-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Nothing wrong with being cautiously optimistic. I think that as long as he stays healthy, he'll be a great asset to the Sox. If he can duplicate even a part of what he did last season then I'll be happy.

BleacherBandit
04-18-2009, 10:38 PM

No, he's just saying don't make your judgements yet. It's a safe thing to do.

HomeFish
04-18-2009, 10:40 PM

:prozac

Carlos is exactly the kind of player that it is hardest for me to be optimistic about: a player who had never previously put up those kinds of numbers.

HomeFish
04-18-2009, 10:41 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love Carlos Quentin and want him to succeed. But he, Danks, Floyd, and Alexei had charmed years in 2008, and often times the charm wears off the next year.

doublem23
04-18-2009, 10:43 PM
I'm just glad he's hit the ball with authority, I'd be more worried if he was hitting for a high average with no power; wrist injuries can be killers for power hitters. The fact that he's still hitting some monster home runs makes me feel good about this upcoming year.

Hopefully he makes it the full season and gets that MVP Award that was taken from him.

Noneck
04-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Hopefully he makes it the full season and gets that MVP Award that was taken from him.

You mean pissed away.

Jerksticks
04-18-2009, 11:02 PM
He's doing better than last year, whopping some mammoth HRs. Yea, that's my judgement based on evidence. Rock on OP, you are 100% correct with everything you said.

So far so good; judge it up. Put it in my judgement file, judgeboy.

Nihilists man:scratch:

CashMan
04-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love Carlos Quentin and want him to succeed. But he, Danks, Floyd, and Alexei had charmed years in 2008, and often times the charm wears off the next year.

Can you remind me, what Danks' current ERA is this year?

jabrch
04-18-2009, 11:17 PM
I don't understand why we continue to feed the trolls like this.

doublem23
04-18-2009, 11:18 PM
You mean pissed away.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree, but given the way the Sox hit in September, it was obvious to me that Quentin was the most valuable player to any one team, they were a completely different team. Think the Red Sox would have turned so terrible so fast if Pedroia went down? Doubtful.

But, whatever.

Tragg
04-18-2009, 11:25 PM
Yes Quentin certainly was charmed with tons of baseball talent. The dude can swing a bat. He'll be raking for the Sox for a decade or more.

Noneck
04-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree, but given the way the Sox hit in September, it was obvious to me that Quentin was the most valuable player to any one team, they were a completely different team. Think the Red Sox would have turned so terrible so fast if Pedroia went down? Doubtful.

But, whatever.

In my mind I agree with you but we all know to be an MVP it doesn't work like that.

DonnieDarko
04-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Yes Quentin certainly was charmed with tons of baseball talent. The dude can swing a bat. He'll be raking for the Sox for a decade or more.

Assuming that he signs with us for the long-term, of course. I would think that it'd stupid for Kenny and Jerry not to do that, but you never know these days.

doublem23
04-18-2009, 11:42 PM
In my mind I agree with you but we all know to be an MVP it doesn't work like that.

Oh yeah, believe me, I didn't expect him to win the award, I just feel he should have.

I probably didn't make that clear enough.

doublem23
04-18-2009, 11:44 PM
I don't understand why we continue to feed the trolls like this.

I really don't think its trollish to suggest guys who explode onto the scene one year might fall back to earth the next.

:shrug:

Nellie_Fox
04-19-2009, 01:27 AM
I really don't think its trollish to suggest guys who explode onto the scene one year might fall back to earth the next.

:shrug:But it's Homefish. Seriously.

oeo
04-19-2009, 01:41 AM

John Danks will be considered a bona fide ace by the end of the year.

JermaineDye05
04-19-2009, 01:48 AM
John Danks will be considered a bona fide ace by the end of the year.

Agreed. I brought this up at Soxfest to Steve and Hawk, Steve said that Buehrle is still the ace but that Danks is just in the "infancy stages" (he seems to like this analogy) of his career and will be a good one for a long time coming.

You can just see it in Danks, he's really poised up there on the mound. He always seems to keep us in a game. I don't need to mention the blackout game.

jabrch
04-19-2009, 08:44 AM

You don't think Homefish trolls for arguements?

HomeFish
04-19-2009, 08:45 AM
You don't think Homefish trolls for arguements?

I don't think he does. I think he just has unpopular opinions and is vilified for them.

jabrch
04-19-2009, 08:59 AM

But it's Homefish. Seriously.

Nellie is right...You don't think Homefish trolls for arguements?

Madscout
04-19-2009, 09:11 AM
I don't think he does. I think he just has unpopular opinions and is vilified for them.
Or if he'd argue his points a little differently, and with a little more civility, then people would respond to him in kind.

Jaffar
04-19-2009, 09:13 AM
If this thread was about Alexei or Floyd I could see this being a discussion but not for TCQ.

AlleghenySoxFan
04-19-2009, 09:36 AM
I have to admit that I was worried about TCQ when he came out of the gate struggling this season, but he has turned it around and fast. honestly i would be more worried about TCM and a little for Floyd (we'll see how he does today). But the way TCQ is playing of late, I see no reason to worry anymore.

Sargeant79
04-19-2009, 10:29 AM

The thing is that Carlos had a track record of putting up great numbers at every stop he made in professional baseball. And Danks was a top prospect for a reason. Floyd and Ramirez, we'll see if they can duplicate it this year, but I have every confidence that Danks and TCQ are the real deal.

HomeFish
04-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Big game for Floyd tonight.

Thatguyoverthere
04-19-2009, 11:51 AM
TCQ has always been considered someone who can put up big numbers, we were just lucky to get the opportunity to buy low on him after his wrist injury. I see no reason to believe last season was a fluke for him. He's raking once again and hitting some monster shots. I have more confidence when Danks takes the mound right now than any Sox pitcher in recent memory. And though Floyd worries me a little, he is a completely different pitcher than he was a few years ago. He exudes confidence, which makes me believe he will be fine.

TealTank
04-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Until and unless Carlos matches those numbers from 08, then it was a fluke. I don't care about what somebody has done 2-3 weeks into a season.

If Carlos has 40 hrs and 110 rbi's at the end of 2009, then great.

But until then, can't people take a wait and see attitude without being called out or ripped?

asindc
04-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Until and unless Carlos matches those numbers from 08, then it was a fluke. I don't care about what somebody has done 2-3 weeks into a season.

But until then, can't people take a wait and see attitude without being called out or ripped?

See the post immediately above yours. Nothing about his performance prior to 2008 while healthy suggests last year or this year so far is a fluke. In fact, every observer predicted this kind of performance before he got hurt. Now, you might reasonably wonder if he will be as good this year as last year, but even if he "only" hits .285 32 88, I would not view last year as a fluke. Now if he consistently puts up numbers similar to .285 32 88 for the next 2-3 years, then we can consider 2008 a fluke.

voodoochile
04-19-2009, 06:07 PM
You mean he's NOT gonna hit 95 HR this year? :whiner:

CashMan
04-19-2009, 06:08 PM
See the post immediately above yours. Nothing about his performance prior to 2008 while healthy suggests last year or this year so far is a fluke. In fact, every observer predicted this kind of performance before he got hurt. Now, you might reasonably wonder if he will be as good this year as last year, but even if he "only" hits .285 32 88, I would not view last year as a fluke. Now if he consistently puts up numbers similar to .285 32 88 for the next 2-3 years, then we can consider 2008 a fluke.

I concur, if we were talking about TCM, I could see his point, but not with TCQ.

chisox77
04-19-2009, 08:10 PM
TCQ is the real deal. That's it.

jabrch
04-19-2009, 08:14 PM

It's all in what you say and how you say it. Saying you'd like to take a wait and see approach is sensible. But if you project him to be a bust, that's a different story.

TealTank
04-19-2009, 08:56 PM

There are plenty of players through baseball history that have potential and never reach them or only have one good season.

I certainly hope Carlos continues to put the power numbers of last year.

But to say for sure he will put up those numbers is wrong.

Just like saying he will be a bust is wrong.

It is certainly way too early to say he will continue to be a star, after two weeks to start the season.

I'll take a wait and see attitude.

munchman33
04-19-2009, 09:07 PM

You have got to be ****ing kidding me.

Carlos is exactly the kind of player that it is hardest for me to be optimistic about: a player who had never previously put up those kinds of numbers.

Except, you know, his entire career in the minors.

rdivaldi
04-19-2009, 10:03 PM

Typing things like, "(Quentin) is a player who had never previously put up those kinds of numbers" makes people think otherwise. That's a ridiculously uninformed statement, especially for someone who follows baseball closely. It's pretty common knowledge that Quentin was an uber-prospect coming out of college and in the minors.

Making rash statements like "Getz is not a major league ballplayer" doesn't help either.

jdm2662
04-19-2009, 10:09 PM
My biggest concern with Carlos is what happened to Derek Lee after his wrist injury. Lee is still a good hitter, but he doesn't have the power he used to. It doesn't appear Carlos lost his power. Let's hope it continues.

DonnieDarko
04-19-2009, 10:13 PM
My biggest concern with Carlos is what happened to Derek Lee after his wrist injury. Lee is still a good hitter, but he doesn't have the power he used to. It doesn't appear Carlos lost his power. Let's hope it continues.

Quentin's injury was minor compared to Derek Lee's. When he got his wrist broken, I thought that he might not play baseball for a long time--maybe never again. Also didn't help that he was trotted out there when he wasn't 100% healthy. In comparison, we have to give major kudos to the training staff and whatever they did (hydrotheraphy? schwa?) and didn't do (not playing him until he was 100% healthy: think of the future, not the present!) to Quentin.

It's obviously worked out much better for him than it did for Lee.

HomeFish
04-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Except, you know, his entire career in the minors.

Joe Borchard hit .355 in AAA.

Blueprint1
04-19-2009, 11:38 PM

Seriously, this has to be an act. How can someone hate everyone on the White sox as much as you do? Why do you always think the worst is going to happen?

CashMan
04-19-2009, 11:41 PM

He also, could not hit a curveball.

HomeFish
04-20-2009, 12:21 AM
How can someone hate everyone on the White sox as much as you do?

I only hate Brian Anderson.

doublem23
04-20-2009, 12:26 AM

That's not relevant to the point you had just made; everyone knows Joe Borchard could mash overmatched minor league pitching. You stated Carlos had never put up great numbers in his career, and yes, he struggled through 2 injury-plagued campaigns in Arizona, but his minor league numbers stated he had immense power potential. A change of scenery and a chance to play everyday seem to have been the rub.

pudge
04-20-2009, 01:25 AM

If you can't see the difference between Joe Borchard and Carlos Quentin in 1.15 MLB seasons, then...

:dtroll:

Konerko05
04-20-2009, 03:48 AM

Seriously? Joe Borchard hit .355 for only 22 games in AAA at age 29.

Your comparison is beyond ridiculous.

HomeFish
04-20-2009, 11:20 AM
That's not relevant to the point you had just made; everyone knows Joe Borchard could mash overmatched minor league pitching. You stated Carlos had never put up great numbers in his career, and yes, he struggled through 2 injury-plagued campaigns in Arizona, but his minor league numbers stated he had immense power potential. A change of scenery and a chance to play everyday seem to have been the rub.

I guess you and I differ as to the predictive value of minor league stats. I've seen too many can't miss prospects fail. My point was that he had never before hit major league pitching at the rate he hit it last year (since he had never faced major league pitching before).

Thatguyoverthere
04-20-2009, 11:25 AM
I guess you and I differ as to the predictive value of minor league stats. I've seen too many can't miss prospects fail. My point was that he had never before hit major league pitching at the rate he hit it last year (since he had never faced major league pitching before).You're missing a key difference between Borchard and Quentin - Borchard never showed the ability to really hit major league pitching. Quentin has shown the ability to not only hit major league pitching, but to dominate it.

CashMan
04-20-2009, 12:10 PM
You're missing a key difference between Borchard and Quentin - Borchard never showed the ability to really hit major league pitching. Quentin has shown the ability to not only hit major league pitching, but to dominate it.

I do not know of too many hitters, who dominate MLB pitching for a year, then dominate it through 12 games the next year, then just start sucking it up. If this was Gavin Floyd, I can see your argument.

rdivaldi
04-20-2009, 10:06 PM

That has to be one of the weakest, lamest arguments ever posted.

HebrewHammer
04-21-2009, 05:15 AM
That has to be one of the weakest, lamest arguments ever posted.

I think I've found that new sig I've been looking for...

"Borchard hit .355 in AAA." - cited by Homefish as a reason why Carlos Quentin will fail. May dark clouds always rain on your parade.

Lillian
04-21-2009, 07:19 AM
TCQ has always been considered someone who can put up big numbers, we were just lucky to get the opportunity to buy low on him after his wrist injury............

His injury with Arizona was a shoulder, not a wrist, injury. Just a point of clarification.