PDA

View Full Version : **Official** The Saturday lineup strikes again!

DaveFeelsRight
04-18-2009, 10:02 PM
We're 2-0 when Corkey Miller starts!

Frater Perdurabo
04-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Should be a nice short postgame thread. Discuss it here.

CashMan
04-18-2009, 10:03 PM
We're 2-0 when Corkey Miller starts!

Corkey is HUGE! And why was Josh Field bunting him over to third?

whitesoxfan
04-18-2009, 10:03 PM
If we can win 3 of 4 against the Rays in this dump, that'd be huge.

Good start from Buehrle again and the offense did its thing. Let's take the series tomorrow.

NDSox12
04-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Another solid outing by Buehrle. Lots of positives on offense too, particularly the patience to take the walks.

Frater Perdurabo
04-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Efficient offense tonight. Eight runs on eight hits. All those walks really helped.

SoxGirl4Life
They did everything they should have. Good pitching. Take advantage of the walks. Some long ball, too!

Lets win the series tomorrow! :bandance:

veeter
I only saw the last four innings, but Mark Buehrle is really good. The Sox have really out played the Rays all series long, IMO. I'm comfortable with this team. The Division will be theirs to lose.

Frater Perdurabo
Shall we call this lineup "The Saturday Night Special?"

DaveFeelsRight
04-18-2009, 10:06 PM
I think I would sit Alexei tomorrow. Other than that, let's go 3/4 in Tampa and head in hot into Baltimore.

DaveFeelsRight
04-18-2009, 10:07 PM
Also, it seems to me that the Sox don't have much of a problem playing in Tampa. There's always close games.

manders_01
04-18-2009, 10:07 PM
Excellent game. Liked just about everything about it. Let's take one more tomorrow and wrap this bad boy up! :moonwalk:

BleacherBandit
04-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Everybody looked decent but Alexei. I'd bench him tomarrow.

manders_01
04-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Shall we call this lineup "The Saturday Night Special?"

N3Gh21s3sLo

I like it! :cool:

ms620
04-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Nice game. Huge assist for BA tonight. Corky with a nice contribution. And TCQ and PK doing what they do. Lets keep it going tomorrow.

MarySwiss
04-18-2009, 10:20 PM
Ahem! Of course Corky would do well. He was inspired by my beagle of the same name! :D:

Daver
04-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Nice game. Huge assist for BA tonight.

That is what happens when you have a center fielder playing the position as opposed to a left fielder playing the position.

doublem23
04-18-2009, 10:26 PM
That is what happens when you have a center fielder playing the position as opposed to a left fielder playing the position.

Not to mention a big, fat ass first baseman trying to go first to third on a play he had no business doing. :cool:

LoveYourSuit
04-18-2009, 11:01 PM
it was a very solid all around performance by the Sox today.

I am getting a bit concerned about Alexei. He is pressing and upper cutting every swing.

longtimesoxguy
04-18-2009, 11:01 PM
Nice game boys. Let's get the series tomorrow. And good at bat in the 9th Wilson!!!!

Brian26
04-18-2009, 11:06 PM

:manos
"Or a shortstop."

:jerry
"I'm sorry, the Choice was made."

Brian26
04-18-2009, 11:07 PM
I am getting a bit concerned about Alexei. He is pressing and upper cutting every swing.

Which is always fun to watch when the ball is eight inches over his head.

Brian26
04-18-2009, 11:08 PM
Not to mention a big, fat ass first baseman trying to go first to third on a play he had no business doing. :cool:

:hawk
"If they're giving it to you, you got to take it." (tm)

Tragg
04-18-2009, 11:28 PM
Which is always fun to watch when the ball is eight inches over his head.
And balls at his heels.
I know that they don't want to discourage his aggressiveness. And I get that. But he could really use some top flight coaching on the strike zone and developing some patience to wait for pitches that he can drill.

Lillibridge seems to know how to really use his speed. It's fun to watch.

voodoochile
04-18-2009, 11:40 PM
:winner

What a day for Chicago sports fans in general. The universe has most definitely gone mad...

:)

DonnieDarko
04-18-2009, 11:42 PM
10 BBs. Holy crap, that's great. I knew that these guys were more patient at the plate, but I hadn't realized they'd be this good. Even not counting the 5 BBs from the Rays' starter, that's a damned good total for the team. I'm especially happy to see Anderson and Lillibridge doing this. They're not hitting that good right now, but they don't seem to be overly eager to get a hit either. Assuming that they keep taking pitches like that, they'll eventually get more and more good pitches to hit. Unfortunately, Fields doesn't seem to be having as much luck there...and damn, was that a horrible at-bat tonight. I forget the inning, but he struck out on three 4-seamers, late on all of them.

All it takes is a matter of time. I'm not worried about this team all that much (save for the bullpen: I hope that Linebrink can continue to pitch decently, Carrasco can build upon this last outting, and that Dotel can get his act together). I expect good things at 6-4.

I remember hearing on some radio show a stat where it was like...80% of teams that are above .500 (I think it was) in their first 10 games make it to the playoffs. So that's always encouraging. :smile:

Noneck
04-19-2009, 12:22 AM
And balls at his heels.
I know that they don't want to discourage his aggressiveness. And I get that. But he could really use some top flight coaching on the strike zone and developing some patience to wait for pitches that he can drill.

I am hoping that tomorrow will be his Sunday sabbatical so he can dwell on his short comings.

Hitmen77
04-19-2009, 12:28 AM
Great to see the Sox take 2 of 3 (so far) at Tampa. Those artificial turf games were usually nightmares for us last year.

JB98
04-19-2009, 01:10 AM
It looks like Paulie is getting ready to go into one of his extended slumps. Let's trade him for Rowand!

cnw8052
04-19-2009, 01:18 AM
Betemit didn't have the best night either, except for his last at bat.

Everybody looked decent but Alexei. I'd bench him tomarrow.

Viva Medias B's
04-19-2009, 01:35 AM
we're 2-0 when corkey miller starts!

bench a.j.!!!

RedPinStripes
04-19-2009, 01:51 AM
I love being wrong. I know you can't predict the season yet, but they look a lot better then I thought they were.

Nellie_Fox
04-19-2009, 01:57 AM
Every time Corky got on, I half expected to hear Hawk say "good speed aboard."

CMPDragRacing
04-19-2009, 02:03 AM
at this point im happy with a split in that place.

It's Dankerific
04-19-2009, 03:09 AM
Great game. I only got to watch the first half because I went to my first Portland Beavers game (also a winner.)

Wish I could have seen BA's assist, but it is the first couple of bucks towards the Brian Charity Challenge!

Thatguyoverthere
04-19-2009, 03:19 AM
Corky Miller is a stud.:D:

Jurr
04-19-2009, 07:53 AM
This team reminds me alot of the 2007 team, but this time the players are capable. It seems like every day there's some new face out there, and you're getting to see what the guy's capable of.

I love the 90's Braves-esque M.O. of this team, which is "keep it close with the pitching while the offense figures itself out". It looks like the offense is trying to find some type of identity, mixing power with speed.

Dear Paul Konerko:

You cut down your swing in the first two at bats and found yourself magically on base. Later, keeping that same approach, you ran into a mistake pitch and got the homer anyway. That's what the great hitters do. They don't try to overswing. The power numbers come as a byproduct.

LoveYourSuit
04-19-2009, 07:53 AM
It looks like Paulie is getting ready to go into one of his extended slumps. Let's trade him for Rowand!

Actually, I would take that trade right now.

We have plenty guys in the farm right now who can come up and take Paulie's job.

We have nothing close to Rowand, sad to say.

Jurr
04-19-2009, 08:29 AM

We have plenty guys in the farm right now who can come up and take Paulie's job.

So far in Brian Anderson's stay as the CF, the Sox have been putting up runs. Has he been the dominant offensive threat? Nah. He's getting on base and chipping in here and there. He has been getting great reads on deep balls and is making CF defense look easy. You've gotta love the role players.

Right now, Konerko is swinging for contact and his average is reaping the benefits. The Sox are playing good baseball, and Konerko is doing his part. I may be wrong, but in the years that Paulie starts strong he usually keeps it up. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

SOXfnNlansing
04-19-2009, 09:01 AM
What a great game. Carlos looks like he's going to do major damage this season. I don't think we can bitch about the pitching really (besides MacDougal) in the first 2 weeks. What a great display of playing the game the right way. I just love all those walks and timely hitting.

ms620
04-19-2009, 09:46 AM
When Alexei starts hitting, this lineup will be a ton better. In my opinion, we need 2 out of Getz/Lillibridge, Alexei, and BA/CF options to contribute at the plate. I am confident Alexei will turn it around. So now, if either CF or 2B can continue helping the offense, I like the Sox chances.

Madscout
04-19-2009, 10:08 AM
When Alexei starts hitting, this lineup will be a ton better. In my opinion, we need 2 out of Getz/Lillibridge, Alexei, and BA/CF options to contribute at the plate. I am confident Alexei will turn it around. So now, if either CF or 2B can continue helping the offense, I like the Sox chances.
I think all three have a good chance to contribute. Getz has been doing really well out of the leadoff spot, he doesn't strike out, and he puts the ball in play in the best situations. AR has last year to build on, and hopefully he heats up soon.

BA has shown real patience up there at the plate. He is forcing pitchers to throw to him, getting ahead in counts, and taking advantage of counts, not to mention walking a lot. We will see if this continues and what adjustments he makes as the pitchers adjust to him, but in the past couple of games, he has been right there in the middle of it.

Risk
04-19-2009, 10:14 AM
So far in Brian Anderson's stay as the CF, the Sox have been putting up runs. Has he been the dominant offensive threat? Nah. He's getting on base and chipping in here and there. He has been getting great reads on deep balls and is making CF defense look easy. You've gotta love the role players.

Right now, Konerko is swinging for contact and his average is reaping the benefits. The Sox are playing good baseball, and Konerko is doing his part. I may be wrong, but in the years that Paulie starts strong he usually keeps it up. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Agreed on both points. It's nice to see Konerko starting to hit now rather than early June.

Risk

cws05champ
04-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Every time Corky got on, I half expected to hear Hawk say "good speed aboard."
Hawk calling Corky: "Corkaroo" during the broadcast. When your name is Corky, do you really need a nickname?

Jurr
04-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Hawk calling Corky: "Corkaroo" during the broadcast. When your name is Corky, do you really need a nickname?
Well said....in Sosa's case, that was his nickname!

cws05champ
04-19-2009, 10:48 AM
I think all three have a good chance to contribute. Getz has been doing really well out of the leadoff spot, he doesn't strike out, and he puts the ball in play in the best situations. AR has last year to build on, and hopefully he heats up soon.

BA has shown real patience up there at the plate. He is forcing pitchers to throw to him, getting ahead in counts, and taking advantage of counts, not to mention walking a lot. We will see if this continues and what adjustments he makes as the pitchers adjust to him, but in the past couple of games, he has been right there in the middle of it.

Yeah, in 4 games started this year he has a hit in three of those games and even though he's hitting .196 his OBP is .391!! Not to mention his nice OF defense and cannon out there.

BleacherBandit
04-19-2009, 10:51 AM

According to Wikipedia, Corky is his real name. So I guess he can have a nickname, right? :D:

JGarlandrules20
04-19-2009, 10:57 AM
According to Wikipedia, Corky is his real name. So I guess he can have a nickname, right? :D:

According to the sox site, his real name is Abraham Philip Miller. :tongue:

Maybe Corky Miller will play as big of a role as Chris Widger did in '05! They're kind of similar stories...

MarySwiss
04-19-2009, 11:21 AM
According to the sox site, his real name is Abraham Philip Miller. :tongue:

Maybe Corky Miller will play as big of a role as Chris Widger did in '05! They're kind of similar stories...
Funny, I said the same thing to MrMarySwiss toward the end of the game! Wouldn't that be terrific? :smile:

EnglishChiSox
04-19-2009, 11:33 AM
That was an awesome game to listen to, DJ and Farmer were on great form. The performance on the field was very decent as well.

SBSoxFan
04-19-2009, 12:22 PM
10 BBs. Holy crap, that's great. I knew that these guys were more patient at the plate, but I hadn't realized they'd be this good. Even not counting the 5 BBs from the Rays' starter, that's a damned good total for the team. I'm especially happy to see Anderson and Lillibridge doing this. They're not hitting that good right now, but they don't seem to be overly eager to get a hit either. Assuming that they keep taking pitches like that, they'll eventually get more and more good pitches to hit. Unfortunately, Fields doesn't seem to be having as much luck there...and damn, was that a horrible at-bat tonight. I forget the inning, but he struck out on three 4-seamers, late on all of them.

All it takes is a matter of time. I'm not worried about this team all that much (save for the bullpen: I hope that Linebrink can continue to pitch decently, Carrasco can build upon this last outting, and that Dotel can get his act together). I expect good things at 6-4.

I remember hearing on some radio show a stat where it was like...80% of teams that are above .500 (I think it was) in their first 10 games make it to the playoffs. So that's always encouraging. :smile:

:scratch: Dotel's ERA is zero; of the first 10 outs he recorded this season, 9 of them were Ks. What exactly do you hope he gets together?

SBSoxFan
04-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Ahem! Of course Corky would do well. He was inspired by my beagle of the same name! :D:

Isn't it nice having a backup who can hit and throw?

DonnieDarko
04-19-2009, 12:39 PM
:scratch: Dotel's ERA is zero; of the first 10 outs he recorded this season, 9 of them were Ks. What exactly do you hope he gets together?

Yes, the first 10 outs that he's got have been good. But it seems to me now that...I dunno, he doesn't quite have that same zip to his pitches or something. He seems to be getting into trouble more often, falling behind hitters, walking some, other stuff. Perhaps "getting his stuff together" is too harsh a term. Albeit, the troubles haven't been that bad and he's worked out of them (was also pulled once or twice because of the trouble that he got himself in, IIRC), but still. What can I say, I'm a bit nitpicky.

I do want to see him as lights out as possible. He's a very minor complaint in a otherwise...mediocre bullpen thusfar.

TomBradley72
04-19-2009, 01:42 PM

If you're rebuilding or just hoping to contend, maybe.

I hope we're trying to win a championship this year...I want the veteran who has shown the ability to come through in the post season vs. whatever prospects you believe would replace him. Besides, Konerko for Rowand will never happen any way.

ChiSoxGirl
04-19-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm now 4-0 lifetime at The Trop, dating back to 2007! :bandance:

I had amazing seats about ten rows behind the Rays' dugout, courtesy of my friend in West Palm. While they were great, the Sox fans were few & far between over there, but I heard them loud and proud over by the third base dugout! When their "Let's Go White Sox!" chant started, Rays fans booed and tried to drown them out with their cowbells... unsuccessfully. Once again, it was like Chicago at The Trop and I was so proud to be a Sox fan last night.

When the game was over, my friend rolled down the windows and blasted "Go Go White Sox" as we sat in traffic waiting to get out of the stadium, and got some nods from the other happy Sox fans leaving The Trop.

While passing the players' lot, a HUGE black Ford F-750 pulled out in front of us. It had Florida plates with a White Sox license plate frame, and on the mud flaps were two baseballs with a "52" inside each one. Jose Contreras' truck?! Me thinks YES!!!

We walked over to Ferg's for a couple rounds before the game... what a great place! The environment was awesome and it's definitely the place to be pre and post-game. Over all, it was another awesome night at The Trop for me and our Sox!!!!

BadBobbyJenks
04-20-2009, 12:59 AM
Yes, the first 10 outs that he's got have been good. But it seems to me now that...I dunno, he doesn't quite have that same zip to his pitches or something. He seems to be getting into trouble more often, falling behind hitters, walking some, other stuff. Perhaps "getting his stuff together" is too harsh a term. Albeit, the troubles haven't been that bad and he's worked out of them (was also pulled once or twice because of the trouble that he got himself in, IIRC), but still. What can I say, I'm a bit nitpicky.

I do want to see him as lights out as possible. He's a very minor complaint in a otherwise...mediocre bullpen thusfar.

To me Dotel looks the best he has been since his Houston days.

Nellie_Fox
04-20-2009, 02:14 AM
According to the sox site, his real name is Abraham Philip Miller. Once again, showing the reliability of Wikipedia.

doublem23
04-20-2009, 02:24 AM
Wikipedia is correct. Corky is really his first name. Somebody tell the Sox to get their **** together.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/collections/special/columns/baseball/archive/2005/04/corky_miller_wh.shtml