PDA

View Full Version : Lead-off Options Outside the Org.

Ditka v. God
04-18-2009, 05:37 PM
So far this season, we have been struggling to get any production out of the lead-off spot. The available options within the organization are few and far between, as the current options are either not an ideal lead-off option (i.e. Getz, Lillibridge, Wise, etc.) or are too far away to breaking into the big leagues (i.e. Shelby, Jor. Danks, Escobar, etc.). I feel that it's time for Kenny to make a move for a legit lead-off presence that can hold the spot for not only the rest of this season but the next 2-3 years as well.

I'd like to see us make a trade for Jody Gerut, he did a very admirable job leading off in 100 games for the Padres last season, he's an average to above average CF, makes good contact and has some decent pop. I think Kenny could probably get him for decent value since the Padres basically took a flier on him last year.

Who do you guys think would make a good (and realistic)lead off hitter for us outside of the organization?

Taliesinrk
04-18-2009, 06:11 PM
let's give this guy more than 7 games before we give up on him. He's doing alright thus far:

7 26 1 7 3 0 0 1 10 2 3 1 0 .345 .385 .269

Madscout
04-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Getz has 3 strike outs in 26 AB. He is getting on base at a .345 clip. Let's give him a bit before we jump to conclusions about bringing in outside guys.

Also, I get the idea that we need a viable leadoff option, but it doesn't have to be at the CF position. I understand that we have set players everywhere but three positions in my view, SS, 2b, and CF. However, right now we have a good defensive player in CF who is once again trying to prove himself, and has shown some promise in his first few games as a starter. Last night marked the first time in a long time that the Sox have gone from 1st, to 1st and 3rd, to 2nd and 3rd. We have a while to go before the trade deadline. We have options and time. Let's use em.

Ditka v. God
04-18-2009, 06:17 PM
let's give this guy more than 7 games before we give up on him. He's doing alright thus far:

7 26 1 7 3 0 0 1 10 2 3 1 0 .345 .385 .269

Oh, I wasn't trying to slight Getz by any means, I just see him more as a prototypical 2 hitter rather than lead off. I really like Getz and hope he sticks around the Sox for a while, I'd like to see someone more established in the lead off slot.

I also agree with the other poster that we have a long time and a lot of baseball to be played until the trade deadline, I just wanted to see who people had their eye one as a potential plan B. Hopefully Getz proves that he is the lead off hitter Kenny and Ozzie think he can become.

jabrch
04-18-2009, 10:06 PM
I don't like Gerut much.

I'd look to the Cards and the Nats. Both teams have excess MLB calibre CFs who'd be major improvements over any of our in house options.

Cards
Ankiel is a FA after this year. Rasmus is their future. Ludwick and Duncan have the corners locked down. Skip Shumaker is also there. I'd go after Ankiel fairly hard if those guys indicated willingness to trade him.

Nats
They just sent down Milledge. They suck. I don't really want Milledge - his stock has fallen. But if Elijah Dukes can keep his nose clean, this guy could be a star. I'd pay a hefty price for him if we could have him. And the Nats need a lot of things. Would Poreda+ get him? I have no idea.

I wouldn't want Gerut.

04-18-2009, 10:20 PM
Ditka

DumpJerry
04-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Jay Cutler. They've been saying he'll bring great offense to Chicago.

asindc
04-18-2009, 10:47 PM
I don't like Gerut much.

I'd look to the Cards and the Nats. Both teams have excess MLB calibre CFs who'd be major improvements over any of our in house options.

Cards
Ankiel is a FA after this year. Rasmus is their future. Ludwick and Duncan have the corners locked down. Skip Shumaker is also there. I'd go after Ankiel fairly hard if those guys indicated willingness to trade him.

Nats
They just sent down Milledge. They suck. I don't really want Milledge - his stock has fallen. But if Elijah Dukes can keep his nose clean, this guy could be a star. I'd pay a hefty price for him if we could have him. And the Nats need a lot of things. Would Poreda+ get him? I have no idea.

I wouldn't want Gerut.

Poreda+Carter would have gotten you Dukes this time last year, but not now. No one wants Milledge or Kearns, so you will have to trade the Nats major league-ready pitching to get Dukes at this point. Besides, he is not a leadoff hitter. He can play CF, but he is a 5th or 6th hitter in our lineup, at best.

jabrch
04-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Poreda+Carter would have gotten you Dukes this time last year, but not now. No one wants Milledge or Kearns, so you will have to trade the Nats major league-ready pitching to get Dukes at this point. Besides, he is not a leadoff hitter. He can play CF, but he is a 5th or 6th hitter in our lineup, at best.

He could lead off for us. Why would you not think so?

Tragg
04-18-2009, 11:37 PM
Don't trade young pitching unless we can get an absolute steal.
We're pitching thin.

35th and Shields
04-18-2009, 11:45 PM
Getz has 3 strike outs in 26 AB. He is getting on base at a .345 clip. Let's give him a bit before we jump to conclusions about bringing in outside guys.

Also, I get the idea that we need a viable leadoff option, but it doesn't have to be at the CF position. I understand that we have set players everywhere but three positions in my view, SS, 2b, and CF. However, right now we have a good defensive player in CF who is once again trying to prove himself, and has shown some promise in his first few games as a starter. Last night marked the first time in a long time that the Sox have gone from 1st, to 1st and 3rd, to 2nd and 3rd. We have a while to go before the trade deadline. We have options and time. Let's use em.

What's wrong with Alexei at short?

asindc
04-19-2009, 12:09 AM
He could lead off for us. Why would you not think so?

He is getting better as a patient hitter, so on our current team he would be a better option than anyone else, but long-term I think he is best suited in the middle of the lineup.

jabrch
04-19-2009, 12:16 AM
He is getting better as a patient hitter, so on our current team he would be a better option than anyone else, but long-term I think he is best suited in the middle of the lineup.

Same is true of Sizemore. Same is true of Soriano. But that doesn't mean he can't lead off, and in our lineup, he'd be best used that way. We don't need another guy in the middle of the order. We are already well set between 2 and 8.

PalehosePlanet
04-19-2009, 12:27 AM
I don't like Gerut much.

Cards

Nats

I wouldn't want Gerut.

Actually Milledge was outstanding the last two months of last year and looked to have turned the corner. I think the Nats jumped the gun by sending him down because he started the season 4 for 24. Lots of guys have gotten off to worse starts yet they weren't sent down. IMO The Nats were downright stupid for doing this.

If he were available I'd like to have him.

As far as Dukes goes, his problems (stalking, repeated wife and girlfriend beatings and chokings, death threats, etc..) don't seem to be the correctable type. The guy just seems to be a straight up psychopath. I wouldn't touch him for ****.

asindc
04-19-2009, 12:34 AM
Actually Milledge was outstanding the last two months of last year and looked to have turned the corner. I think the Nats jumped the gun by sending him down because he started the season 4 for 24. Lots of guys have gotten off to worse starts yet they weren't sent down. IMO The Nats were downright stupid for doing this.

As far as Dukes goes, his problems (stalking, repeated wife and girlfriend beatings and chokings, death threats, etc..) don't seem to be the correctable type. The guy just seems to be a straight up psychopath. I wouldn't touch him for ****.

Milledge did not get sent down simply for getting off to a bad start. He showed up late to a team meeting... less than a half hour before the opening day game. He announced publicly that he was not concerned about drawing walks and working the count to get on base, even though he was the leadoff hitter. He consistently took bad routes to routine fly balls that resulted in balls dropping in that led to big innings. There are concerns about his conditioning and work ethic, which even our friend Willie Harris has called him out about.

Believe me, virtually no one in Washington agrees with you. Nats fans are saying it's about time. He earned his bus ride to AAA.

soxfan43
04-19-2009, 12:35 AM

It wasn't just stats that got Milledge sent down. He was late to the opening day team meeting and his general attitude rubbed people the wrong way.

asindc
04-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Same is true of Sizemore. Same is true of Soriano. But that doesn't mean he can't lead off, and in our lineup, he'd be best used that way. We don't need another guy in the middle of the order. We are already well set between 2 and 8.

I see your point, but I see Dukes developing more as a Canseco-type power/speed guy than a Sizemore/Soriano power/speed guy.

PalehosePlanet
04-19-2009, 12:39 AM
Milledge did not get sent down simply for getting off to a bad start. He showed up late to a team meeting... less than a half hour before the opening day game. He announced publicly that he was not concerned about drawing walks and working the count to get on base, even though he was the leadoff hitter. He consistently took bad routes to routine fly balls that resulted in balls dropping in that led to big innings. There are concerns about his conditioning and work ethic, which even our friend Willie Harris has called him out about.

Believe me, virtually no one in Washington agrees with you. Nats fans are saying it's about time. He earned his bus ride to AAA.

Fair enough; I wasn't aware of his attitude. Maybe they did this as a wake-up call. In that case it makes perfect sense to let him know the team comes first.

cws05champ
04-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Are you kidding me? Trading our top pitching prospect and another decent arm for a guy, while talented, who constantly has been in trouble with the law. He is one more off field mistake away from being out of baseball. The Nats only gave up a simgle pitching prospect that doesn't even crack the top ten for Rays prospects.

BleacherBandit
04-19-2009, 11:07 AM

Agreed. He's reportedly has about 5 or 6 children born to 5 women, and he's only 24. He's been arrested several times on several charges including assualt and battery. He is also required by the Nationals to have complete supervision every where he travels with the team. That's ridiculous. You don't want somebody like that on your team, even if they do have some offensive upside. People like that make me uneasy because you never know when they'll snap.

asindc
04-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Are you kidding me? Trading our top pitching prospect and another decent arm for a guy, while talented, who constantly has been in trouble with the law. He is one more off field mistake away from being out of baseball. The Nats only gave up a simgle pitching prospect that doesn't even crack the top ten for Rays prospects.

I didn't say it would be a good trade to make for the Sox. My point is that is what it would take now, so I agree it would be of no benefit to the Sox to pursue it.

areilly
04-19-2009, 01:05 PM
There is only one move that will solve all of the team's problems in the short-term.

TRADE THE FARM FOR ICHIRO.

There, I said it.

SkeetSkeetAmit
04-19-2009, 03:15 PM
Trade for Reggie Willits. Even though now he's the 5th OF for the Angels with Vlad going down, he should be available some how.

jabrch
04-19-2009, 09:19 PM
I see your point, but I see Dukes developing more as a Canseco-type power/speed guy than a Sizemore/Soriano power/speed guy.

I can buy that. In 3ish years - that would be true. Today, however, I think he'd slot just fine in our #1 hole.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Willits was not available even before Vlad went down according to two Sox beat writers.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
04-20-2009, 07:10 AM
Willits was not available even before Vlad went down according to two Sox beat writers.

Lip

Do the Angels really think they are such lead-pipe lock World Series winners as-is, that they are never willing to trade their home-grown players, even if they ride the pine?

Or is it that they anticipate Figgins leaving as a FA after this year, and want to keep Willits to be next year's leadoff hitter?

Lip Man 1
04-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Can't tell you about your last question (Figgins) except I was told he is no longer liked in the organization, save for Scioscia.

Regarding the Angels "philosophy" on their farm products and back up's, considering the division they are in, it's a good bet they will be getting to the playoffs a ton...to say nothing of the fact that it's only a four team division in the first place.

Lip

palehozenychicty
04-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Can't tell you about your last question (Figgins) except I was told he is no longer liked in the organization, save for Scioscia.

Regarding the Angels "philosophy" on their farm products and back up's, considering the division they are in, it's a good bet they will be getting to the playoffs a ton...to say nothing of the fact that it's only a four team division in the first place.

Lip

They have greatly benefitted from a weak division. I think that Seattle is the only franchise with revenue streams to consistently challenge them, but their management was so crappy. Spare me FOBBGOD and his minions, the A's.

You can argue it's why they haven't returned to the Series since 2002. There's something to be said for competing well in your division and league, and that extra urgency is lacking with a weak division.

bestkosher
04-20-2009, 09:56 AM
TRADE THE FARM FOR ICHIRO.

but what will Old McDougal do during the off season.