PDA

View Full Version : After 10 games

LITTLE NELL
04-18-2009, 06:18 AM
Some observations after 10 games:
Getz is a solid player, will be close to .300 by years end. Like to see him batting second but we have'nt had a leadoff hitter since Pods.
Fields looks damn good at 3B and can hit.
TCQ is strong like bull and just may wind up between 400-500 HRs before his career is up.
TCM needs to stop swinging for the fences and make solid contact, singles and doubles are'nt bad from a shortstop. Beckham might be up here sooner than we think.
Paulie looks like he may be going into one of his prolonged slumps, has'nt looked good in TB.
Anderson is a natural in CF and his BA will rise.
JD is still one solid hitter and is not a liability in RF as of yet.
AJ will always find a way to beat you.
Colon could win Comeback of the Year.
Mark, Danks and Floyd are solid 1-2-3 rotation guys. I see each winning at least 15 games each.
Sox will win division with 90-72.

tsoxman
04-18-2009, 06:45 AM
I like the optimism, but the bullpen is a big concern for me. I just do not think that Linebrink is healthy.

SOXfnNlansing
04-18-2009, 07:15 AM
I think the Sox have as good a chance as anyone else in the division so far.

whitem0nkey
04-18-2009, 09:23 AM
Dotel has been amazing.

0 era. 9 SO over 4.1 innings.

whitem0nkey
04-18-2009, 09:25 AM
I think the Sox have as good a chance as anyone else in the division so far.

you think the Sox and Indians have the same likelihood of winning the division?

veeter
04-18-2009, 09:28 AM
I like the optimism, but the bullpen is a big concern for me. I just do not think that Linebrink is healthy.Any bullpen concerns are matched by every other team in the division. The Sox look really good to me. I'm very optimistic.

HebrewHammer
04-18-2009, 09:37 AM
you think the Sox and Indians have the same likelihood of winning the division?

No. The only legit challengers are KC and Minnesota and I'm not sold on KC. I don't know how far a team can go with Sidney Ponson and Horacio Ramirez in their rotation. Minnesota always scares me, but not as much without Joe Mauer in the lineup.

Eric Wedge is going to be fired before the all star break. As soon as the NBA playoffs are over and the locals realize that he's awful, he's done.

We could see Detroit raise the white flag in July. I don't think they'll deal Miggy, but Maggs, Guillen, Polanco and Nate Robertson could all go. I wouldn't mind adding Polanco and Robertson to our roster.

DrCrawdad
04-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Getz is a solid player, will be close to .300 by years end. Like to see him batting second but we have'nt had a leadoff hitter since Pods.
TCQ is strong like bull and just may wind up between 400-500 HRs before his career is up.
TCM needs to stop swinging for the fences and make solid contact, singles and doubles are'nt bad from a shortstop. Beckham might be up here sooner than we think.
Paulie looks like he may be going into one of his prolonged slumps, has'nt looked good in TB.
Mark, Danks and Floyd are solid 1-2-3 rotation guys. I see each winning at least 15 games each.

I AGREE!

I've been very impressed with Getz offensively and with his defense. Getz' is 3 inches taller than Nellie Fox, but if you remember Fox (I don't) I wonder how you think they compare.

Fields has been great, so far. And I've been rooting for Brian Anderson for years and I hope that this season he takes advantage of the opportunity afforded him.

hawkjt
04-18-2009, 09:48 AM
1. Lillibridge is really fast.
2. The team looks more dangerous offensively with more speed in Getz,BA/Wise,Alexi,Fields....

If they stay healthy, the Sox will be in the hunt in Sept. That is all I can ask as a Sox fan.

dagame2005
04-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Dotel has been amazing.

0 era. 9 SO over 4.1 innings.

He seems to have more drop on his slider this year. I hope it continues. He does look great. Also, don't worry about Alexei. He will be fine. His plate discipline is lacking a little early on, but his bat speed is fantastic. He started off slow last year as well. What was he; 3-20 or so?

DrCrawdad
04-18-2009, 09:55 AM
He seems to have more drop on his slider this year. I hope it continues. He does look great. Also, don't worry about Alexei. He will be fine. His plate discipline is lacking a little early on, but his bat speed is fantastic. He started off slow last year as well. What was he; 3-20 or so?

I agree about TCM.

The concerns of mine are the Bullpen and Jose Contreras. And with the BP, I'm not even considering Jenks and Thornton as concerns but Linebrink, MacDougal, Richard, etc. could be the Sox...

http://news.hereisthecity.com/cntns_media/hitcn/me_679.jpg

Lip Man 1
04-18-2009, 10:24 AM
My concerns after 10 games:

1. Situational hitting is as bad as it's been since the start of the 06 season.
2. Middle relief (Richard, Ol' MacDougal and Carrasco) have been practically
non-existent.
3. Sox are not taking advantage of the fact that Detroit has 3 pitchers on
the DL, Minnesota 4 players (including Mauer) on it and K.C. just lost
Gordon for two months.

Later this season the Sox have a road trip that is out of someone's nightmare----at Boston, at New York to play the Yankees and at Minnesota.

They need as much divisional cushion as possible heading into that one because that could be really, really ugly.

Lip

delben91
04-18-2009, 10:33 AM

2. Middle relief (Richard, Ol' MacDougal and Carrasco) have been practically
non-existent.
3. Sox are not taking advantage of the fact that Detroit has 3 pitchers on
the DL, Minnesota 4 players (including Mauer) on it and K.C. just lost
Gordon for two months.

Later this season the Sox have a road trip that is out of someone's nightmare----at Boston, at New York to play the Yankees and at Minnesota.

They need as much divisional cushion as possible heading into that one because that could be really, really ugly.

Lip

Shocking that there's nothing you like about the team so far.

Illini Stripes
04-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Who is TCM??????????

goon
04-18-2009, 10:47 AM

I disagree, maybe someone could back this up with some stats, but to me it seems like the Sox are doing a lot better with risp than last season. I know they had a bad game last night and Fields popped up to end it, but Josh, Getz, Dye, Konerko, and in the last few days, Carlos, have all been swinging the bats well with runners on base.

goon
04-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Who is TCM??????????

Alexei

soxfan21
04-18-2009, 11:10 AM
I am happy with what I see so far except for the situational hitting. We have to learn to hit with RISP or this will come back and bite us in the ass.

Lip Man 1
04-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Delben:

The starting pitching has been very solid...VERY solid and the back end of the bullpen has been pretty good.

I hope that satisfies you.

Goon:

After 10 games they are hitting .219 as a team with runners in scoring position. This after another spring where the fundamentals were (supposedly) emphasized. an off season where Ozzie and Kenny were quoted extensively about how 'different' this was going to be this year and now you have Greg Walker coming out today telling Joe Cowley that he has concerns about this and wonders if it's now becoming a pressure/mental issue.

Maybe it will get better over time but right now I stand by my contention that it's as bad as its ever been since 2006.

Lip

areilly
04-18-2009, 11:29 AM
1. The Sox will win most games with combined scores of 13 or more.
2. The Sox will lose most games with combined scores of 7 or less.
3. Middle relief will be a bigger factor than the situational hitting because. . .
4. The situational hitting, as previously pointed out, is still not there.

doublem23
04-18-2009, 12:26 PM
If they can find 1-2 arms in the bullpen to replace Richard and MacDougal, this team has a chance to be scary good. That's the real weakness right now.

DaveFeelsRight
04-18-2009, 12:37 PM
I like the optimism, but the bullpen is a big concern for me. I just do not think that Linebrink is healthy.our bullpen has been fine. macdougal is the big concern if anything.

manders_01
04-18-2009, 12:53 PM
If they can find 1-2 arms in the bullpen to replace Richard and MacDougal, this team has a chance to be scary good. That's the real weakness right now.

I thought Richard had a nice outing last night. :shrug:

Britt Burns
04-18-2009, 12:58 PM
I think the biggest stories so far are that Getz has been a revelation and a real keeper and Fields stepped up his game to a point where at a minimum he is a solid every day regular at at thrid. It is also good to see that Quentin has bounced back from his injury...hand/wrist problems often require a long time to recover from.

I am still worried that 2/5ths of our rotation is old and injury prone, especially since Richard is proving that he is not a viable replacement as a starter. Our middle pen is troubling also.

I still think we are the strongest team in the Central, and if we can pick up a strong CF before the deadline I think we will have the kind of team that could go all the way.

JB98
04-18-2009, 12:59 PM
I thought Richard had a nice outing last night. :shrug:

He did. He stopped the bleeding and gave us a chance to win. Of the three middle relievers in question (Richard, Carrasco, MacDougal), I think it's pretty clear Richard is the most likely of the three to step forward and help us this year.

Bucky F. Dent
04-18-2009, 05:52 PM
After ten games my only real concern is with Contreras, but that concern is not as great as it would have been given the amazing performance we have received from Colon so far. It is not amazing, back to back complete game shut out amazing. But given what I had expected from this guy at the outset (namely, that he would be a complete bust) it is amazing.

JermaineDye05
04-18-2009, 05:55 PM
picking 500 HRs for TCQ already :o:. He's good, but I think it's a little early to start expecting him to put up HOF like numbers for the rest of his career.

jabrch
04-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Delben:

The starting pitching has been very solid...VERY solid and the back end of the bullpen has been pretty good.

I hope that satisfies you.

It has nothing to do with what satisfies him. You have been pissing about our lack of young pitching for as long as I have been here. We have a rotation that, to date, is both deep and strong. You are the guy who only cares about the major league roster - and you should be dancing in the streets right now given what you are seeing. We have one bad RP, and the gap in CF. Outside of that, I don't know how you aren't happy with what you are seeing. The results in the W/L column may not be what we want, but there is a lot to be optimistic about including a strong and deep rotation, young talent in the lineup, wins on the road, wins in a dome, etc.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Jab:

How should I put this. You list all these "positives" and yes they have had some as I noted but you know what? They are "only" 6-5.

Why is that Jab?..please enlighten me.

You act like the Sox have gotten off to a start like the Marlins. How come the Sox aren't 10-1 Jab, or hell even 8-3? Explain that one to me. I thought it was somewhat funny you going on about all the positives then slip in the (paraphrase) 'I know the record isn't what we want but that's OK!'

Let's get real here.

They are hitting .218 with runners in scoring position. They win Saturday night and you read the paper and you see Ozzie directly quoted as saying after that first inning, "here we go again..." You read the Sunday paper and there's another story with Ozzie saying 'don't blame the coaches...'

They are having serious issues in an area that appears to be getting worse, not better over the past few years. I'm dammed concerned about it and you should be to.

The Sox need to make hay right now with guys on other teams in the division dropping like flies going to the DL.

That's all I'm saying. I know you don't like to hear things like that but that's my take on it.

Lip

Ranger
04-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Jab:

How should I put this. You list all these "positives" and yes they have had some as I noted but you know what? They are "only" 6-5.

You act like the Sox have gotten off to a start like the Marlins. How come the Sox aren't 10-1 Jab, or hell even 8-3? Explain that one to me. I thought it was somewhat funny you going on about all the positives then slip in the (paraphrase) 'I know the record isn't what we want but that's OK!'

Let's get real here.

They are hitting .218 with runners in scoring position. They win Saturday night and you read the paper and you see Ozzie directly quoted as saying after that first inning, "here we go again..." You read the Sunday paper and there's another story with Ozzie saying 'don't blame the coaches...'

They are having serious issues in an area that appears to be getting worse, not better over the past few years. I'm dammed concerned about it and you should be to.

The Sox need to make hay right now with guys on other teams in the division dropping like flies going to the DL.

That's all I'm saying. I know you don't like to hear things like that but that's my take on it.

Lip

I think Lip needs to calm down. There are definitely some positives. Probably more than negatives. Find me a team that's got everything going for it, and it'll be baseball's first. For the most part, this team is playing well so far.

And by the way, we're 7% of the way through the season.

delben91
04-19-2009, 01:46 PM
I think Lip needs to calm down. There are definitely some positives. Probably more than negatives. Find me a team that's got everything going for it, and it'll be baseball's first. For the most part, this team is playing well so far.

And by the way, we're 7% of the way through the season.

The Sox could go 162-0 and 11-0 in the post season with every game being perfect games from the starters and Lip would still complain about pitch selection. It's just the way the world works.

DumpJerry
04-19-2009, 01:48 PM
The Sox could go 162-0 and 11-0 in the post season with every game being perfect games from the starters and Lip would still complain about pitch selection. It's just the way the world works.
You're overlooking the fact that this year the offense is averaging three outs per inning. Fire Walker.

Jaffar
04-19-2009, 02:37 PM
You're overlooking the fact that this year the offense is averaging three outs per inning. Fire Walker.

:rolling:

JB98
04-19-2009, 04:11 PM
It's a streaky offense, that's for sure. They are frustrating to watch at times.

But if our starting pitching stays healthy, I think we have a great chance to win the division with the roster we have now.

I don't think our weaknesses are any more glaring than the weaknesses of our competitors in the AL Central.

Foulke You
04-19-2009, 04:37 PM
I like the optimism, but the bullpen is a big concern for me. I just do not think that Linebrink is healthy.
I'm suspicious of this as well about Linebrink. There was talk in the Spring that his shoulder was still bothering him and evidence supports this as Ozzie has used him VERY sparingly. If you are paying him $4 million per year to be your 8th inning guy, why isn't he being used more than once a week? Ozzie has been riding Thornton's arm hard because of this and it cost us a win on Friday. If Linebrink isn't healthy, he should be put on the DL until he is. We have this guy under contract for another two years beyond '09. We can't afford to have him pitching hurt.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-19-2009, 04:38 PM
We could see Detroit raise the white flag in July. I don't think they'll deal Miggy, but Maggs, Guillen, Polanco and Nate Robertson could all go. I wouldn't mind adding Polanco and Robertson to our roster.
Don't look for the Tigers to trade any talent within the division (unlike the 2003 Pittsburgh Pirates, who behaved like part of the Scrubs' farm system).

FarWestChicago
04-19-2009, 04:38 PM
I think Lip needs to calm down.Lip was calm for a couple hours in October a few years back. Other than that, doom is always around the corner. :D:

SOX ADDICT '73
04-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Who is TCM??????????
Alexei
The Cuban Missile

getonbckthr
04-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Don't look for the Tigers to trade any talent within the division (unlike the 2003 Pittsburgh Pirates, who behaved like part of the Scrubs' farm system).
If you listen to people from Detroit the bottom line is gonna be getting rid of contracts and getting quality and cheap in return. It wont matter if its in division or out but they will need to shed alot of money.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Hey Chris:

Hope all is well.

This "issue" of situational hitting has been going on for three season PLUS 12 games this year. That's a tad larger base from which to draw some conclusions from.

The body of work for that time period is there to see.

And as I said on another thread, I don't "blame" the players. They are what they are you can't expect them to change much.

I "blame" the organization for putting so many of the same type guys on the roster and I blame myself for falling for Kenny's and Ozzie's comments every off season about "situational hitting," "speed," "balance," "I'm tired of the strike outs and solo home runs" etc.

There's an old saying, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Lip

SOX ADDICT '73
04-19-2009, 11:08 PM
If you listen to people from Detroit the bottom line is gonna be getting rid of contracts and getting quality and cheap in return. It wont matter if its in division or out but they will need to shed alot of money.
In that case, I'm sure Kenny would be happy to relieve them of the remaining four years of Curtis Granderson's contract...:whistle:

(That should probably be in deep pink.)

jabrch
04-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Jab:

Let's get real here.

Lip

The outcome in terms of w/l over a 10 game stretch will not always parallell the performance of the club. You know that.

I'm just shocked that you aren't satisfied with this club so far Lip. They are in first place. Their pitching, which you always focus on, has been fantastic. And other than CF, we have no real holes in this lineup.

jabrch
04-19-2009, 11:25 PM
Hey Chris:

Hope all is well.

This "issue" of situational hitting has been going on for three season PLUS 12 games this year. That's a tad larger base from which to draw some conclusions from.

And as I said on another thread, I don't "blame" the players. They are what they are you can't expect them to change much.

I "blame" the organization for putting so many of the same type guys on the roster and I blame myself for falling for Kenny's and Ozzie's comments every off season about "situational hitting," "speed," "balance," "I'm tired of the strike outs and solo home runs" etc.

Lip

This type of lineup, this type of roster, has made the playoffs twice and won 90+ games twice in the past 4 years. It regularly is amongst the leaders in the league in runs scored. It has won a WS. And it is in first place right now.

Complain if you must, and I know you must. But recognize that your complaints don't sound like they come from someone who is as educated as you are about the game. The sound like they come from someone who spends more time reading a stat sheet than watching a baseball game. (That sounds really funny knowing how little you care for stats - but you are nitpicking here my friend.)

Madscout
04-20-2009, 08:33 AM
This type of lineup, this type of roster, has made the playoffs twice and won 90+ games twice in the past 4 years. It regularly is amongst the leaders in the league in runs scored. It has won a WS. And it is in first place right now.

Complain if you must, and I know you must. But recognize that your complaints don't sound like they come from someone who is as educated as you are about the game. The sound like they come from someone who spends more time reading a stat sheet than watching a baseball game. (That sounds really funny knowing how little you care for stats - but you are nitpicking here my friend.)
I gotta agree with Lip here. He is not simply stating what we all know, that PK could go into a big slump, that Thome will run into a guy with a good slider and be in between for a month, that the young guys will start being young guys...Anderson will fall into his old bs, Getz will start looking like a rookie, Fields will start striking out a lot. We've seen it before, and we will probably see it again at some point this year. Right now, the long ball is bailing us out a lot, and in the playoffs, you can't always rely on the homerun the way we have in the past, nor can you always count on getting to the playoffs with that mindset.

Lip Man 1
04-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Jab:

Correction (and a big one...) to your comments.

They won a World Series when they had BALANCE in the lineup offensively.

In the top 5 in the league in 05 in home runs, sacrifice bunts, stolen bases, sacrifice flys and infield hits. (Feel free to look it up...)

The two other seasons when they made the post season, 2000 and 2008... they went out in the first round. Particularly in 2000, the post season offense was dreadful (although they did score enough runs to win game #1 vs. Seattle...)

They need balance Jab if they are going to go out and get back to, let alone win another World Series. Kenny and Ozzie keep talking about it in the off season, the past three seasons, yet things remain basically the same with the philosophy.

I can only go by what I've seen (again what I've seen - not "stats) and this decade they have had winning seasons (my absolute bottom line) but it's significant that the only season they got to the series (let alone won it) they had something offensively they have not had in any other season this entire decade (and again this is strictly from an offensive perspective...) balance.

Time will tell how this season plays out and who is closer to reality from our perspectives.

Lip

Craig Grebeck
04-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Jab:

Correction (and a big one...) to your comments.

They won a World Series when they had BALANCE in the lineup offensively.

In the top 5 in the league in 05 in home runs, sacrifice bunts, stolen bases, sacrifice flys and infield hits. (Feel free to look it up...)

The two other seasons when they made the post season, 2000 and 2008... they went out in the first round. Particularly in 2000, the post season offense was dreadful (although they did score enough runs to win game #1 vs. Seattle...)

They need balance Jab if they are going to go out and get back to, let alone win another World Series. Kenny and Ozzie keep talking about it in the off season, the past three seasons, yet things remain basically the same with the philosophy.

I can only go by what I've seen (again what I've seen - not "stats) and this decade they have had winning seasons (my absolute bottom line) but it's significant that the only season they got to the series (let alone won it) they had something offensively they have not had in any other season this entire decade (and again this is strictly from an offensive perspective...) balance.

Time will tell how this season plays out and who is closer to reality from our perspectives.

Lip
Once again, I will point out that we had the best pitching staff in baseball and one of the best bullpens in White Sox history. We win the world series with the 2000, 2006, and 2008 offenses combined with the 2005 pitching staff.

asindc
04-20-2009, 08:48 AM
Hey Chris:

Hope all is well.

Lip

Wouldn't you say that with BA (and to a lesser extent, Owens and Wise), Getz, Lillibridge, Alexei, and from last year, Swisher and Cabrera, that KW has been trying to address this problem?

beasly213
04-20-2009, 08:50 AM

Why isn't that in Teal? He's hitting .341 and hat 3 hits on Saturday with a HR and 3 RBI. :scratch:

Thatguyoverthere
04-20-2009, 10:32 AM
I gotta agree with Lip here. He is not simply stating what we all know, that PK could go into a big slump, that Thome will run into a guy with a good slider and be in between for a month, that the young guys will start being young guys...Anderson will fall into his old bs, Getz will start looking like a rookie, Fields will start striking out a lot. We've seen it before, and we will probably see it again at some point this year. Right now, the long ball is bailing us out a lot, and in the playoffs, you can't always rely on the homerun the way we have in the past, nor can you always count on getting to the playoffs with that mindset.Now that's just not true. Have you been watching the last few games? We've scored bunches of runs without the long ball. Guys like Getz and Lillibridge are definitely an attempt to break up the station-to-station baseball. I don't understand why having pop in the lineup gets so much hate around here anyway. Our ability to mash the ball is a good thing, not a bad thing, and from watching the team so far this year it looks like we won't have to rely solely on the homerun for all our runs.

asindc
04-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Now that's just not true. Have you been watching the last few games? We've scored bunches of runs without the longball. Guys like Getz and Lillibridge are definitely an attempt to break up the station-to-station baseball. I don't understand why having pop in the lineup gets so much hate around here anyway. Our ability to mash the ball is a good thing, not a bad thing, and from watching the team so far this year it looks like we won't have to rely solely on the homerun for all our runs.

Exactly. The Sox ability to manufacture runs has already improved with the guys you mentioned, along with BA drawing walks and being patient. There has been only one game this season in which the long ball bailed out the offense. All the other wins were produced with a balanced attack.

Lip Man 1
04-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Asin:

This and that.

Before the Tampa series the Sox had scored 42 total runs, 20 came directly via the home run. That's almost 50% of the total runs... about on par for the past few seasons. If the Sox are trying to change the offensive philosophy towards "balance" it's not showing up yet. I'll check to see what the percentage is now that they are done in Tampa.

Regarding your point about the players they have brought in the past two years and team speed. My thought is, we will see how it plays out but I don't see any 25 or 30 stolen base guys in that group. Part of balance in my opinion, is having at least two guys in the lineup capable of doing that. Pods was effective in two ways in 2005 with his running ability.

First he actually stole a ton of bases getting himself into scoring position. Second and maybe more importantly, he cause havoc on the defense and forced pitchers to concentrate on him and alter their pitching patters to the guys behind him in the order. Pitchers throw more fastballs knowing a guy is on base who will take off immediately if they throw a breaking ball.

One thing the Sox can do about as well as ANYBODY in baseball is pound fastballs.

This is where a speed demon is really needed. Again I'd love to have two (a la the 1983 Sox at the top and bottom of the order.)

Lip

Lip Man 1
04-20-2009, 06:04 PM
That Guy:

No one certainly not me is against the home run. When you play at U.S. Cellular you've got to have it. But even Ozzie himself this past off season said he's "tired of the strike outs and the solo home runs."

Just FYI, the Sox hit 100 solo home runs in 2008.

Balance, being able to score consistently without the long ball is the key. Then when you do hit a blast or two you actually might have guys on base and you have the chance to score even more runs.

The Sox in 2005 set the record for scoring first in the most games from the start of the season. It was like 35 or 38 straight games...something crazy.

They didn't get on the board first, exclusively with the home run. In many cases it was because Pods got on, stole a base and came on home on a hit that was inside the park.

You can't predict when you'll hit a home run. Free swingers go into slumps. Speed never goes into a slump (assuming the guy gets on base...)

To me the Sox should be able to do very nicely with five power bats in the lineup, 3 through 7 in the order. That leaves the top two and bottom two spots in the order for the "speed demons and slap hitters."

That's how I'd design my lineup. At this point I'd take two of these type guys..one each at the top and bottom and that would also work nicely.

Lip

asindc
04-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Lip,

My point is that the players I mentioned represent a recognition by the FO that more balance is needed in the offense. Your previous post seemed to suggest that you didn't think the FO recognized it as a priority.

Frater Perdurabo
04-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Hey Lip,

I agree with your overall premise and sentiment.

However I'm more optimistic that you about who is on the MLB roster right now.

Getz, Fields, Alexei and BA all have the ability to steal 20 bases this year. All four run the bases exceptionally well. Lillibridge is a threat to steal every time he's on base.

Bottom line: The Sox are better on the basepaths this year than any year of the past decade other than 2005.

MISoxfan
04-20-2009, 08:30 PM
That Guy:

No one certainly not me is against the home run. When you play at U.S. Cellular you've got to have it. But even Ozzie himself this past off season said he's "tired of the strike outs and the solo home runs."

Just FYI, the Sox hit 100 solo home runs in 2008.

Balance, being able to score consistently without the long ball is the key. Then when you do hit a blast or two you actually might have guys on base and you have the chance to score even more runs.

The Sox in 2005 set the record for scoring first in the most games from the start of the season. It was like 35 or 38 straight games...something crazy.

They didn't get on the board first, exclusively with the home run. In many cases it was because Pods got on, stole a base and came on home on a hit that was inside the park.

You can't predict when you'll hit a home run. Free swingers go into slumps. Speed never goes into a slump (assuming the guy gets on base...)

To me the Sox should be able to do very nicely with five power bats in the lineup, 3 through 7 in the order. That leaves the top two and bottom two spots in the order for the "speed demons and slap hitters."

That's how I'd design my lineup. At this point I'd take two of these type guys..one each at the top and bottom and that would also work nicely.

Lip

I believe the Sox set a record for holding a lead for the most consecutive games to start a season. Not scoring first.

Lip Man 1
04-21-2009, 11:04 AM
MI:

I don't think that's right. I think they scored first in 35 or 38 straight games. The ended if memory serves against the Orioles in Chicago on like May 10th or something that season.

The Sox broke the record of the Brooklyn Dodgers. I think it was the 41 team.

Let me check this for you.

EDIT: MI you are correct! I apologize and stand corrected in this issue.

Lip

oeo
04-21-2009, 11:06 AM
MI:

I don't think that's right. I think they scored first in 35 or 38 straight games. The ended if memory serves against the Orioles in Chicago on like May 10th or something that season.

The Sox broke the record of the Brooklyn Dodgers. I think it was the 41 team.

Let me check this for you.

Lip

Actually, I think he is right. It was having a lead in every game.

Lip Man 1
04-21-2009, 12:23 PM
OEO:

In the second game of the 2005 season Cleveland jumped out to a 1-0 lead.

MI is correct in that the Sox did have a lead at one time or another in the first 35 or 38 games of that season.

Again if memory serves they were shut out by Baltimore in May which ended it.

But Podsednik's impact in the first few months of the 05 season was immeasurable with his ability to get into scoring position and disrupt the other team.

That was the best job of baserunning I had seen since 1990 when guys like Ozzie, Lance Johnson, Sammy Sosa were driving opponents out of their minds.

Lip

ChiSoxFan81
04-21-2009, 12:47 PM
OEO:

In the second game of the 2005 season Cleveland jumped out to a 1-0 lead.

MI is correct in that the Sox did have a lead at one time or another in the first 35 or 38 games of that season.

Again if memory serves they were shut out by Baltimore in May which ended it.

But Podsednik's impact in the first few months of the 05 season was immeasurable with his ability to get into scoring position and disrupt the other team.

That was the best job of baserunning I had seen since 1990 when guys like Ozzie, Lance Johnson, Sammy Sosa were driving opponents out of their minds.

Lip

I'm fairly certain it was 38 games. And yes, it was Balitmore, Eric Bedard. Lucky for me, that was the first game I went to in 2005.