PDA

View Full Version : Walker On Hitters

Lip Man 1
04-18-2009, 12:54 AM
Greg has usually sided with the hitters when this stuff has happened over the past few seasons. At least in this story, he isn't willing to go quite that far. And I didn't realize the runners in scoring position batting average was down to .219 :o:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1532488,CST-SPT-soxnt18.article

Lip

Madscout
04-18-2009, 06:19 AM
Greg has usually sided with the hitters when this stuff has happened over the past few seasons. At least in this story, he isn't willing to go quite that far. And I didn't realize the runners in scoring position batting average was down to .219 :o:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1532488,CST-SPT-soxnt18.article

Lip
I realize it is a hot cold type of thing. But it is pretty sad that Fields' ABs look a ton better than say, PK. When I think of last night's game, I think PK was the only guy I saw without a good AB.

dickallen15
04-18-2009, 08:07 AM
The fact that the result of any AB is ever blamed on the hitting coach with the hitter taking zero blame is ridiculous. Its hasn't been Greg Walker's fault when the hitter failed, and it wasn't all Greg Walker when the hitter hit a home run. I don't see Greg Walker's name on the 2 blue seats in the OF. I shouldn't see his name in the paper if a guy making millions of dollars a year can't get the job done during an AB the night before.

MISoxfan
04-18-2009, 08:49 AM
I'm in Afghanistan and unable to watch the games, but does Paul look bad at the plate? It seems strange to go choose him specifically when he's hitting .306 with an OPS of .915. Especially with Fields hitting .306 with an OPS of .849?

dickallen15
04-18-2009, 09:07 AM
I'm in Afghanistan and unable to watch the games, but does Paul look bad at the plate? It seems strange to go choose him specifically when he's hitting .306 with an OPS of .915. Especially with Fields hitting .306 with an OPS of .849?

He didn't have a very good game last night, but its typical overreaction calling him out. He's been fine this year. The only thing I wonder is Thursday he pulled away after pitch and I wonder if his thumb is bothering him again. It was really bad last year, and supposedly it has caused him problems in the past. If Konerko stays healthy, he'll be fine.

hawkjt
04-18-2009, 10:03 AM
He didn't have a very good game last night, but its typical overreaction calling him out. He's been fine this year. The only thing I wonder is Thursday he pulled away after pitch and I wonder if his thumb is bothering him again. It was really bad last year, and supposedly it has caused him problems in the past. If Konerko stays healthy, he'll be fine.

PK is hitting fine. He has had a couple of tough days but I have heard nothing about any hand injury issues, so I am not worried about him.
Shields is just tough on the Sox,altho we did solve him better last nite.

Today is a new day...PK gets to look at a lefty..might be the first one we faced all year,I believe. Kaz is tough but I like our chances with Burls on the mound.

Martinigirl
04-18-2009, 10:20 AM
If anyone should be singled out right now it is Alexei. He looks compleletly lost at the plate.

Brian26
04-18-2009, 12:21 PM
If anyone should be singled out right now it is Alexei. He looks compleletly lost at the plate.

Absolutely. His last strikeout last night was brutal. He swung at a pitch that literally was over his head.

JB98
04-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Konerko had a bad game last night, but to call him out right now is ridiculous. His ABs last season were pretty rough, but last night aside, I think he's done some good things at the plate these first 10 games.

I've done a lot of bitching about Walker in the past, but this poor situational hitting we've seen so far this year is 100 percent on the players.

The coaches have preached about situational hitting all spring. If anything, they are guilty of emphasizing it too much. I guarantee you Ozzie and Walker are just as sick of this bull**** as we are. It's up to the hitters to get over whatever mental blocks they have in RBI situations and get the job done. Period.

Frater Perdurabo
04-18-2009, 01:00 PM
The coaches have preached about situational hitting all spring. If anything, they are guilty of emphasizing it too much. I guarantee you Ozzie and Walker are just as sick of this bull**** as we are. It's up to the hitters to get over whatever mental blocks they have in RBI situations and get the job done. Period.

They may have spent a lot of time on it in Arizona, but perhaps they aren't very good teachers, either.

Put a kid in school for a year. If he has a bad teacher, he won't learn much.

Ozzie was a free swinger. Walker was a "swing for the fences" high strikeout power hitter (who played home games in the cavernous Old Comiskey Park - what does that say about his hitting philosophy?).

Maybe they are good at teaching some things, but not at others. Situational hitting may be one thing they are not good at teaching.

JB98
04-18-2009, 01:06 PM
They may have spent a lot of time on it in Arizona, but perhaps they aren't very good teachers, either.

Ozzie was a free swinger. Walker was a "swing for the fences" high strikeout power hitter (who played home games in the cavernous Old Comiskey Park - what does that say about his hitting philosophy?).

Maybe they are good at teaching some things, but not at others. Situational hitting may be one thing they are not good at teaching.

Speculation on your part. Maybe you're right; maybe you're wrong. I don't know.

But it's a results-driven business, and we need better results from the hitters in RBI situations.

Frater Perdurabo
04-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Speculation on your part. Maybe you're right; maybe you're wrong. I don't know.

But it's a results-driven business, and we need better results from the hitters in RBI situations.

So we're back to these three choices:

1. Fire the hitters.
2. Fire the hitting coach.
3. Do nothing and hope it improves on its own.

I guarantee that with Option 3, we'll see this scenario: When the weather warms Sox hitters will clobber home runs (especially at the Cell), masking the lack of situational hitting. But in late September/October, the bats will get as cool as the weather, and they again won't be able to drive in crucial runs against playoff-caliber pitching in tight games. Since we know the end result of Option 3, and Option 1 is not possible, I'm left with Option 2.

thedudeabides
04-18-2009, 01:34 PM

How someone played the game and coach the game have very little, if anything to do with each other. Take a look around the league at all the managers and position coaches. Many, if not most, were not successful major league players. A good number never even made it to the top level.

Most of the time people are just looking for someone to blame. Just yesterday during the game Hawk was talking about how much different Andersons swing looks in batting practice to when he gets in the game. Like he forgets everything they worked on, once he gets up there. You can teach players a million different things and there isn't a thing you can do once they get to the plate.

A lot of blame that goes on coaches is overreaction. Just like yesterday Frater when you said Ozzie can't evaluate outfield defense because he was a shortstop and played with his back to the outfield. It's laughable.

California Sox
04-18-2009, 01:49 PM
It's 10 games into the season. If either of the balls that Getz or Fields hit (Fields' was crushed) had been a hit, we wouldn't be so upset. It's cyclical. Also, Alexei has gotten off to a horrid start. When he starts hitting our offense will be much better.

DirtySox
04-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Someone posted this on Southsidesox:

Alexei after 32 AB this season - .156/.206/.156/.362 3 BB

Alexei after 33 AB last season .138/.138/.207/.345 0 BB

JB98
04-18-2009, 05:17 PM
How someone played the game and coach the game have very little, if anything to do with each other. Take a look around the league at all the managers and position coaches. Many, if not most, were not successful major league players. A good number never even made it to the top level.

Most of the time people are just looking for someone to blame. Just yesterday during the game Hawk was talking about how much different Andersons swing looks in batting practice to when he gets in the game. Like he forgets everything they worked on, once he gets up there. You can teach players a million different things and there isn't a thing you can do once they get to the plate.

A lot of blame that goes on coaches is overreaction. Just like yesterday Frater when you said Ozzie can't evaluate outfield defense because he was a shortstop and played with his back to the outfield. It's laughable.

This is a great point. Tony LaRussa and Dave Duncan were garbage as players. Look at how many games they've won as a manager/pitching coach tandem.

Ranger
04-18-2009, 07:45 PM

About as good of a post as I've seen in a while.