PDA

View Full Version : Old White Sox Tradition

Rocky Soprano
04-17-2009, 04:06 PM
My brothers and I were talking about old "traditions" the Sox used to have. I remembered that everytime the Sox scored (at home) they used to play a sound. If I recall correctly it was the same sound that they used on the show, A Current Affair.

Anyone remember this?
When did they stop this and anyone know why?

oeo
04-17-2009, 04:08 PM
I don't know about that, but how come the siren after homeruns was scrapped?

DaveFeelsRight
04-17-2009, 04:09 PM
I don't know about that, but how come the siren after homeruns was scrapped?that's what i miss :(: i thought it sounded it cool whenever that happened.

oeo
04-17-2009, 04:09 PM
that's what i miss :(: i thought it sounded it cool whenever that happened.

I know. Big Jim's first White Sox homer comes to mind. The siren needs to come back.

Rocky Soprano
04-17-2009, 04:12 PM
I just found a link of what the sound I'm talking about:

http://resources.bravenet.com/audio_clips/sound_effects/sound_effect_-_a_current_affair_opening_intro_bit/listen/

Am I the only one that remembers this?

lloyder
04-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Absolutely remember that sound...Me and my buddies used to wait for it.

tebman
04-17-2009, 04:42 PM
I don't know about that, but how come the siren after homeruns was scrapped?

The siren would be nice, but I'm still waiting for the return of the industrial-strength sounds (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=14&id=2241) made by the original scoreboard in the old park.

Go to the link, scroll down to July 5, 1964 and May 2, 1965, and listen to the audio clips. Now there's a tradition that should be revived!

Dibbs
04-17-2009, 05:22 PM
I do remember that now that you say that. Was it in the 90s?

WhiteSox5187
04-17-2009, 05:25 PM

http://resources.bravenet.com/audio_clips/sound_effects/sound_effect_-_a_current_affair_opening_intro_bit/listen/

Man, I don't remember that at all. But does anyone remember the little fox guy that would be on the scoreboard in the early 1990s? What ever happened to him?

Lip Man 1
04-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Here's an old tradition for you...playing My Kind Of Town by Frank Sinatra (from Robin and the 7 Hoods) after a Sox home win in the 60's over the PA system.

Lip

DeuceUnit
04-17-2009, 05:50 PM
Absolutely remember that sound...Me and my buddies used to wait for it.

Word. Totally forgot about that sound!

sodfatherjunior
04-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Man, I don't remember that at all. But does anyone remember the little fox guy that would be on the scoreboard in the early 1990s? What ever happened to him?

Absolutely, his name was Waldo the White Sox Wolf.....I used to love the videos they would play of him.

doublem23
04-17-2009, 06:16 PM
At various times during the 2000 season, they would play a soundbyte from "Who Let the Dogs Out?"

That one can stay dead.

Walker29
04-17-2009, 06:38 PM
I remember the Current Affair sound, it was replaced by "Yahoo!" but I don't think there is a sound anymore. Here is the old Sox Tradition I miss the most, I distinctly remember "The Wanderer" being played right after "Take Me out to the ballgame" during the 7th inning stretch. I always thought "Bad Bad Leroy Brown" would be a natural accompaniment with the South Side of Chicago reference...but return of the Wanderer would be nice...I also distinctly remember a Monday Night game vs. the O's in 2004 when the Sox went off for 8 runs in the bottom of the 7th and during the stretch either "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" or "Rocky Top" was played...one of the two, not sure why. I'm also disappointed that the super taco has been discontinued that has been a family Sox game dining tradition dating back to Old Comiskey.

grenda12
04-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Ribbie and Roobarb?

Frater Perdurabo
04-17-2009, 07:54 PM
Nancy's organ music at all games, not just day games.

If Nancy prefers only to play day games (and I totally respect her decision), it would be nice if the Sox signed an organist to play night games.

areilly
04-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Here's an old tradition for you...playing My Kind Of Town by Frank Sinatra (from Robin and the 7 Hoods) after a Sox home win in the 60's over the PA system.

Lip

I remember them playing that as part of a pregame video montage in 2005. It was mostly a slideshow of city landmarks, and the only times I ever saw it were on Sunday afternoons. Not sure if they've brought this back in the time since, but it was nice all the same.

DrCrawdad
04-18-2009, 11:29 AM

If Nancy prefers only to play day games (and I totally respect her decision), it would be nice if the Sox signed an organist to play night games.

And let her play too. Don't just give her brief snippets then the pre-recorded heavy-metal and hip-hop garbage blasting away.

Bobby Thigpen
04-18-2009, 02:00 PM
http://whitesoxfans.mlblogs.com/photos/uncategorized/whitesoxwscelebration.jpg
This is a tradition I would like to see brought back this year.

SoxandtheCityTee
04-18-2009, 03:16 PM
I'm also disappointed that the super taco has been discontinued that has been a family Sox game dining tradition dating back to Old Comiskey.

:shocked: Didn't realize they were gone.

I remember buying them from the ladies down the left field line in Old Comiskey. Dang.

ramblinsoxfan11
04-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Absolutely, his name was Waldo the White Sox Wolf.....I used to love the videos they would play of him.

I used to have a poster of him in our basement when I was a kid... not sure what the white sox advertiesment people were thinking when they made a wolf the team mascot... obviously a fuzzy green left handed alligator makes much more sense

rocky biddle
04-19-2009, 03:08 PM
I remember the Current Affair sound, it was replaced by "Yahoo!" but I don't think there is a sound anymore. Here is the old Sox Tradition I miss the most, I distinctly remember "The Wanderer" being played right after "Take Me out to the ballgame" during the 7th inning stretch. I always thought "Bad Bad Leroy Brown" would be a natural accompaniment with the South Side of Chicago reference...but return of the Wanderer would be nice...I also distinctly remember a Monday Night game vs. the O's in 2004 when the Sox went off for 8 runs in the bottom of the 7th and during the stretch either "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" or "Rocky Top" was played...one of the two, not sure why. I'm also disappointed that the super taco has been discontinued that has been a family Sox game dining tradition dating back to Old Comiskey.

I thought it was Runaround Sue that they used to play atfer Take Me Out to the Ball Game.

bridgeportcopper
04-19-2009, 03:13 PM
I thought it was Runaround Sue that they used to play atfer Take Me Out to the Ball Game.
That is what I remember too, "OH, OH, OOOOOOOOh, OH OOOOOOOOH OH, OOOOOOOH OH!"

Lundind1
04-19-2009, 04:17 PM

I recall that they used to play that after big hits too. It is just some things that they do from time to time that goes by the wayside.

As long as the fireworks still go off after homers, I am okay with it.

Rohan
04-19-2009, 05:12 PM

I'm family friends with Nancy and her family. I'm pretty sure she only plays weekend day games.
So... not many..

ode to veeck
04-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Ribbie and Roobarb?

thank goodness those idiots are long gone

Walker29
04-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Upon further review, it was "Runaround Sue"...I sure miss it.

WhiteSoxJunkie
04-19-2009, 08:35 PM
I miss the frog race on the scoreboard. I guess it's not really a tradition, but I do miss it.

G-Ville Sox
04-21-2009, 08:51 AM
I miss the frog race on the scoreboard. I guess it's not really a tradition, but I do miss it.

As do I...Nothing could beat Gene Honda saying...

"Ice Mountain Natural Spring Water presents, Lets Go to the Hop!"

FoulTerritory
04-21-2009, 09:01 AM

They seriously need an organist at night games. The atmosphere seems dull and artificial w/o an organ sound.

This organ issue, In my opinion, has been Boyer's one major folly. I mean, I went to the Rays/Sox game Saturday night, and they even had organ music at the Trop!

Organ Music: The one tradition that should never be compromised in a baseball stadium.

Mendoza Line
04-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Around 02 and 03, I remember hating to hear "And now the PrimeCo call to the Pen," followed by 3 or 4 ear-piercing ringing sounds.

I'm also glad they scrapped the goofy sound effects on every foul ball hit into the stands.

I do love the Pizza Race. I don't know why, but Sausage Pizza's expression is hilarious.

ChiSoxFan81
04-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Around 02 and 03, I remember hating to hear "And now the PrimeCo call to the Pen," followed by 3 or 4 ear-piercing ringing sounds.

I'm also glad they scrapped the goofy sound effects on every foul ball hit into the stands.

I do love the Pizza Race. I don't know why, but Sausage Pizza's expression is hilarious.

Ha! I forgot about Primeco. Are you sure it wasn't longer ago than that? I remember when they would play that wind chimes sound when a foul ball would go on top of the net behind home plate, and then make its way back down to the field, followed by that cork-popping sound. Of course, the net is no longer there, but of course it was there long enough to cost me a foul ball once. Oh yeah, and they no longer have the stoner pizza and dopey pizza. It's a new pizza race animation.

Vestigio
04-21-2009, 09:35 AM
They seriously need an organist at night games. The atmosphere seems dull and artificial w/o an organ sound.

This organ issue, In my opinion, has been Boyer's one major folly. I mean, I went to the Rays/Sox game Saturday night, and they even had organ music at the Trop!

Organ Music: The one tradition that should never be compromised in a baseball stadium.

I think they might be considering bringing back some organ music. Last year or the year before, I was approached to take a survey during BP. They wanted to know my opinion of organ music being played at the game, and what kinds of music I listen to.

KenBerryGrab
04-21-2009, 02:04 PM
I miss the popcorn containers that you could turn into a "megaphone." They have them at Miller Park.

Mendoza Line
04-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Ha! I forgot about Primeco. Are you sure it wasn't longer ago than that? I remember when they would play that wind chimes sound when a foul ball would go on top of the net behind home plate, and then make its way back down to the field, followed by that cork-popping sound. Of course, the net is no longer there, but of course it was there long enough to cost me a foul ball once. Oh yeah, and they no longer have the stoner pizza and dopey pizza. It's a new pizza race animation.

Wow, now that you mention it, it probably was closer to '99-01 with PrimeCo. They haven't existed for a while.

I'm also truly sad to hear that the Pizza Race is different. What are the new pizzas like?

ChiSoxFan81
04-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Wow, now that you mention it, it probably was closer to '99-01 with PrimeCo. They haven't existed for a while.

I'm also truly sad to hear that the Pizza Race is different. What are the new pizzas like?

Stupid. It looks more CG and they all have the same face. They actually show alot of the race from behind so you can read the "S", "C", or "P" on the back....

Law11
04-21-2009, 04:01 PM
The siren would be nice, but I'm still waiting for the return of the industrial-strength sounds (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=14&id=2241) made by the original scoreboard in the old park.

Go to the link, scroll down to July 5, 1964 and May 2, 1965, and listen to the audio clips. Now there's a tradition that should be revived!

Yep, the booming sounds are all diluted ever since the move to quell the noise for the neighbors was what I thought was the original reason.

You only hear them now after the team takes the field.
The homerun fireworks are pansy little nothings now.

Law11
04-21-2009, 04:03 PM
That is what I remember too, "OH, OH, OOOOOOOOh, OH OOOOOOOOH OH, OOOOOOOH OH!"

Good call. They would play that once in a while when the opposition changed pitchers too.

Side note - hope the little one is doing well bud.

soxdolly
04-21-2009, 04:50 PM
Doesn't anybody want the hat game back?

ChiSoxFan81
04-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Doesn't anybody want the hat game back?

That Blackhawks puck scramble just about gave me a seizure.

rdwj
04-21-2009, 05:41 PM
I miss the popcorn containers that you could turn into a "megaphone." They have them at Miller Park.

One of my very favorite things as a kid. I'm sure those sold a ton of popcorn too, because every kid HAD to have one.

grenda12
04-21-2009, 05:55 PM

I dont remember those, but I collect vintage Comiskey and Sox items and I have 3 of the White Sox Popcorn Megaphones.

palehozenychicty
04-21-2009, 06:12 PM
My brothers and I were talking about old "traditions" the Sox used to have. I remembered that everytime the Sox scored (at home) they used to play a sound. If I recall correctly it was the same sound that they used on the show, A Current Affair.

Anyone remember this?
When did they stop this and anyone know why?

I do remember this, and loved it. I guess we gotta email Brooks. :tongue: