PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Marquez

DrCrawdad
04-16-2009, 10:40 PM
What's up with Jeff Marquez (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Marquez%20%28L%2C%200-2%29&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=457812)? Is he as a bad as these first two games?

Jaffar
04-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Wow, tough start. I didn't get to see him pitch in spring but his box score lines looked good. Did he get hurt in spring?

A. Cavatica
04-16-2009, 11:47 PM
What's up with Jeff Marquez (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Marquez%20%28L%2C%200-2%29&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=457812)? Is he as a bad as these first two games?

I suspect he is. The way the Yankees need pitching, they gave him up too easily.

DumpJerry
04-17-2009, 01:51 PM
I suspect he is. The way the Yankees need pitching, they gave him up too easily.
Well, they did pick up Bullpen Ace Nick Swisher in the deal......

doublem23
04-17-2009, 01:52 PM
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until he pitches away from The Castle. That place is a bandbox (not that this makes me feel better about his chances pitching at the Cell, but I'm trying to find something positive here).

DumpJerry
04-17-2009, 01:53 PM
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until he pitches away from The Castle. That place is a bandbox (not that this makes me feel better about his chances pitching at the Cell, but I'm trying to find something positive here).
Also, this is based on only 5.1 innings. Give him time before we shoot him.

doublem23
04-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Also, this is based on only 5.1 innings. Give him time before we shoot him.

True, but I was never really that high on Marquez, anyway. Now that said, if you're trying to prove that you should be the first call up when we need another arm in the Majors (and, given the way some members of our pitching staff have performed the first week and a half of the season, the time may be sooner than later), there are better ways to prove your salt than giving up 13 runs in 5.1 IP.

oeo
04-17-2009, 02:23 PM

Kind of like Jose Contreras?

My guess is they're making mechanical changes and the results we will see later, a la Gavin Floyd in 2007. I remember Kenny saying right after the trade that they wanted to make some changes to get him to induce more ground balls and strike more guys out.

He pitched fine in AAA last year, and had a good run in the AFL. Even if you think he's bad, he's obviously not as bad as he's shown in his first two starts. They have to be doing something with him that would cause a "drop off" like this, unless it's just bad luck/a slow start.

canOcorn
04-17-2009, 02:55 PM
He pitched fine in AAA last year, and had a good run in the AFL.

Are you talking about Jeff Marquez? He had a 4.69 ERA and a 1.45 WHIP in AAA last season. His AFL stats included a 5.63 ERA and 1.63 WHIP.

Maybe you're thinking of his 2007 AA season where his win total and ERA were fine, but they didn't have the peripherals to sustain that success.

oeo
04-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Are you talking about Jeff Marquez? He had a 4.69 ERA and a 1.45 WHIP in AAA last season. His AFL stats included a 5.63 ERA and 1.63 WHIP.

Maybe you're thinking of his 2007 AA season where his win total and ERA were fine, but they didn't have the peripherals to sustain that success.

No, I meant it was fine compared to what he's done so far this year. Regardless, that was his first taste of AAA and he had arm fatigue, so you can't take much from the results.

Kenny compared him to Jon Garland, not an ace. You shouldn't expect more than a bottom of the rotation guy.

sox1970
04-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Marquez is awful.

2 innings so far--

6 runs, 4 hits (2 homers), 4 walks

ERA at 15.32

DirtySox
04-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Charlotte is so terrible. :(:

hula
04-28-2009, 10:58 PM
He didn't look too good in Durham tonight.... :angry:

sox1970
04-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Marquez: 0-4, 14.18 ERA

Freddy Garcia anyone?

DrCrawdad
04-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Moral of the Marquez story: Don't trade for Yankee pitching prospects. If they're willing to part with them the prospect probably is more suspect than prospect.

BTW I was out east last week. I watched the end of Saturday's Yankees/Other Sox game and had a rabid Yankee fan next to me. He didn't realize that I was a White Sox fan, but he was going on and on about what a great pick-up Nick Swisher was.

CashMan
04-29-2009, 12:22 AM
He didn't realize that I was a White Sox fan, but he was going on and on about what a great pick-up Nick Swisher was.

Did you start laughing uncontrollably and tell him, Nick Swisher will fall back to Earth?

DrCrawdad
04-29-2009, 12:28 AM
Did you start laughing uncontrollably and tell him, Nick Swisher will fall back to Earth?

The guy was more than half in the bag, and I was in Yankee territory. I kept it cool.

hula
04-29-2009, 10:35 AM
He didn't look too good in Durham tonight.... :angry:

Actually, he loaded the bases in the first inning and then the next batter hit a grand slam off of him. It continued to go downhill after that including another homer off him with 1 on and 2 outs, still in the 1st inning.

The Knights did get 7 runs, but still lost to Durham (14-7).

sox1970
04-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Marquez is on the DL with a stiff 14.18 ERA.

Room for Freddy?

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-29-2009, 05:01 PM

Room for Freddy?

No way. I read he averaged mid 70's stuff in his two games.

GAsoxfan
05-04-2009, 03:31 PM
At least Nunez is pitching well in Birmingham.

AZChiSoxFan
05-15-2009, 01:57 PM

That's too bad about this guy. Hopefully he can turn into something. The other night, just for kicks, I went back and watched the MLB Network's preseason 30 clubs in 30 days episode on the Good Guys. The guys on that show seemed to think that Marquez had a really promising future.

BadBobbyJenks
05-15-2009, 04:22 PM
What a great trade... Both of them

Noneck
05-15-2009, 06:44 PM
What a great trade... Both of them

It served its purpose for the Sox.

Frater Perdurabo
05-15-2009, 08:22 PM
It served its purpose for the Sox.

What was the purpose of turning Ryan Sweeney into Wilson Betemit?

Because the Sox can never have enough DH-types?

JB98
05-15-2009, 09:38 PM

Sweeney is hitting .248 with a .310 OBP this season.

I guess he would fit in nicely with the current White Sox lineup.

Frater Perdurabo
05-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Sweeney is hitting .248 with a .310 OBP this season.

I guess he would fit in nicely with the current White Sox lineup.

Yeah, it's better than Quentin! :(:

At least he can play the field. Unlike Betemit. :mad:

JB98
05-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Yeah, it's better than Quentin! :(:

At least he can play the field. Unlike Betemit. :mad:

Quentin will be OK.

I agree that Betemit sucks, but so does Sweeney. Let's not act as if he would be the answer to the Sox problems.

The outfield defense isn't the issue. They need some damn hitters.

Frater Perdurabo
05-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Quentin will be OK.

I agree that Betemit sucks, but so does Sweeney. Let's not act as if he would be the answer to the Sox problems.

The outfield defense isn't the issue. They need some damn hitters.

Oh, I agree. On the list of problems, outfield defense is way down there. Wouldn't it be great to go back to the days of April - August 2006, when all we had to worry about was BA vs. Mack in CF? :tongue:

Sweeney certainly wouldn't be the answer to the Sox problems right now. However, when the team is as starved for talent as it is, every marginal loss hurts.

It just seems like the Sox have a knack for acquiring 1B/DH-types: Thome (good move at the time), Swisher (bad), Betemit (bad so far), Flowers (hope he can improve defensively), Vicideo (hope he pans out), and often give up position players who actually can play the field, in order to get more 1B/DH-types. I'm half-expecting KW to deal Alexei for another slow-footed slugger, just to make room for Beckham.

JB98
05-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Oh, I agree. On the list of problems, outfield defense is way down there. Wouldn't it be great to go back to the days of April - August 2006, when all we had to worry about was BA vs. Mack in CF? :tongue:

Sweeney certainly wouldn't be the answer to the Sox problems right now. However, when the team is as starved for talent as it is, every marginal loss hurts.

It just seems like the Sox have a knack for acquiring 1B/DH-types: Thome (good move at the time), Swisher (bad), Betemit (bad so far), Flowers (hope he can improve defensively), Vicideo (hope he pans out), and often give up position players who actually can play the field, in order to get more 1B/DH-types. I'm half-expecting KW to deal Alexei for another slow-footed slugger, just to make room for Beckham.

One thing is for certain -- I wish we had the problems the 2006 team had.

That was a flawed club, but it won 90 games.

Noneck
05-15-2009, 11:52 PM

It doesn't matter, it put cash in the till. That's my point.

jabrch
05-16-2009, 12:30 AM

And that was who's purpose?

Frater Perdurabo
05-16-2009, 07:52 AM
It doesn't matter, it put cash in the till. That's my point.

But the Sox had that cash in the till before they traded FOR Swisher.

Overall the TWO Swisher deals turned Gio, DLS and (Kaneoka) Texeira into Marquez and Nunez, and Sweeney into Betemit.

Put together, the TWO Swisher deals didn't net any payroll savings.

Noneck
05-16-2009, 10:18 AM

Selling low does have its drawbacks but also has rewards.

Tragg
05-16-2009, 09:51 PM
No - it was terrible all the way around. Even if the prospects don't amount to much, they have a higher market value than Betemit.

Swisher was the type of hitter that Beane should have loved...obp with solid power. Yet he had him on the block. I'll give Beane credit for one thing (in addition to convincing the world that he's the greatest organizational baseball mind of this generation) - when he trades away players, he's usually correct....and if the player is still effective he gets a ransom (haren e.g.)
There's no reason to do business with him.

Domeshot17
05-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Kenny has managed to get fleeced for Nick Swisher twice, that is a very hard task.

Atleast with Ozzie Hating Swish Kenny won't bring him back