DaveFeelsRight
04-16-2009, 10:20 PM
talk about winning ugly

HawkDJ
Bobby lives to see another day

Frater Perdurabo
Never argue with a win. Especially against the defending AL champs in their home dump.

Marqhead
I need a drink.

I had to drink to get through the last 3 innings.

Now I get to have a celebratory one! :bandance:

thomas35forever
Someone tell our offense to produce with runners on base so we don't need to sit through these finishes.

It's Dankerific
Danks was awesome. If he wasn't getting squeezed, he might have had a shutout.

LoveYourSuit
04-16-2009, 10:21 PM
this was not enjoyable.

I might enjoy a visit to the dentist a litte better.

Wow

SoxGirl4Life
I was watching with my hands over my eyes... dayem!

And those damn cowbells.. stuff 'em!

Rdy2PlayBall
Never argue with a win. Especially against the defending AL champs in their home dump.That park is great. Don't mistake it with the Twins dump dome.

Today is a really good day for me so far. :redneck

*edit* oh yea, the cowbells kind of ruin the park.

oeo
04-16-2009, 10:22 PM
That park is great. Don't mistake it with the Twins dump dome.

Any baseball stadium where you can't see the light of day is a dump.

guillensdisciple
04-16-2009, 10:22 PM
A win is a win, and that makes me a happy fan.

Thank you for closing it up Sox.

Frater Perdurabo
04-16-2009, 10:23 PM
That park is great. Don't mistake it with the Twins dump dome.

*edit* oh yea, the cowbells kind of ruin the park.

Baseball should be played on grass. Retractable roofs are OK, but turf is not.

thomas35forever
The Lightning used to play in that place. Some people must not realize the building's tenants have changed.

DirtySox
I was chewing on a pen for the last few innings without even knowing it.

Rdy2PlayBall
Any baseball stadium where you can't see the light of day is a dump.Ahh you fixed it before I could get you. :tongue: You win this time. But still, when I go to Florida it's not a bad park to go to.

DirtySox
04-16-2009, 10:24 PM
So, if we lost that game would there be Fire Greg Walker threads?

hawkjt
remember this one the next time you are tempted to say that these kinds of games always come back to haunt you late....we actually did dodge the bullet this time.

Good news? Lotsa hits.
Bad news? no clutch hits...but ozzie deserves this one for having the balls to hit and run to break the logjam up...and it worked...bravo Ozzie!!

JB98
All's well that ends well.

This road trip has been ugly so far, but the bottom line is the Sox are 2-1.

BoysMom3
04-16-2009, 10:26 PM
I hardly feel well after this game. Never have I been so happy to see a game be over!!! Like Hawk said - a real Jim Dandy!! My heart was pounding out of my chest!!

Nice job by Thornton!

Jurr
If this team wants to be a contender, it needs to watch how they executed in the top half of the ninth, watch AJ's first two at bats, and then let Buehrle teach the pitchers how to hold a ****ing runner.

What a game. You always will take it, but there's gotta come a time where the Sox learn to focus in on situational hitting.

SoxGirl4Life

There might still be one...

White City
04-16-2009, 10:27 PM
I might consider purchasing "Fire Greg Walker" threads if someone put them on CafePress.

Dick Allen
04-16-2009, 10:28 PM
FIVE times in nine innings, they couldn't bring in a runner from 3rd with less than two outs. Not acceptable.

DSpivack
04-16-2009, 10:28 PM
The Lightning used to play in that place. Some people must not realize the building's tenants have changed.

It's the only stadium I can think of that has hosted all 4 sports [college bowl game, MLB, NHL, and a Final Four].

oeo
04-16-2009, 10:29 PM
There might still be one...

He should have been fired two years ago. :tongue:

thedudeabides
04-16-2009, 10:29 PM
remember this one the next time you are tempted to say that these kinds of games always come back to haunt you late....we actually did dodge the bullet this time.

Good news? Lotsa hits.
Bad news? no clutch hits...but ozzie deserves this one for having the balls to hit and run to break the logjam up...and it worked...bravo Ozzie!!

Sending Getz on the 3-2 count was also huge.

Wow, I just had a feeling the whole game this one was going to get away from them. It feels good to hold on to that one!!! :bandance:

thomas35forever
04-16-2009, 10:30 PM
And this thread would be five or six pages by now.

hi im skot
I can't believe they won that game.

And as painful it was for us to win, think of how much it kills Tampa Bay to lose it.

BoysMom3
Someone tell our offense to produce with runners on base so we don't need to sit through these finishes.

this was not enjoyable.

I might enjoy a visit to the dentist a litte better.

Wow

You guys said it!! I did not enjoy that, as I watched most of the bottom of the 9th with my kid's stuffed animal mostly covering my eyes! Phew!! Too many ducks left on the pond...again!!! I really felt the need for us to get a security run or two in, but no. I'll take the win though - I'll take it!!!

PicktoCLick72
Couple gray hairs from that one. Only one stat matters. W

White City
It's the only stadium I can think of that has hosted all 4 sports [college bowl game, MLB, NHL, and a Final Four].

Did they ever play a hockey game in the Kingdome?

Sockinchisox
Anyway but ya, outside of the 4 walks, Danks was outstanding. He got squeezed on some pitches and looked like he was overthrowing a bit but he was great.

DirtySox
04-16-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm usually excited to watch archived Sox wins on MLBTV since I don't get CSN+ or WCIU... but I think I will pass on this one.

palehozenychicty
04-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Tampa is a tough place to win these days. That team is the Twins on steroids. Bobby held on and got it done. Kudos.

palehozenychicty
04-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Tampa is a tough place to win these days. That team is the Twins with good baseball players. Bobby held on and got it done. Kudos.

Marqhead
I'm usually excited to watch archived Sox wins on MLBTV since I don't get CSN+ or WCIU... but I think I will pass on this one.

There's a chance I'll watch it at the office tomorrow, but only because Danks pitched well.

DSpivack
Did they ever play a hockey game in the Kingdome?

Don't think so. With the Winter Classic, Wrigley has hosted 3. Chicago Stadium hosted 3 with a Bears championship game in the 30's.

SBSoxFan
04-16-2009, 10:36 PM

Yep. A lot of bitching and moaning in the game thread.

Good news? Lotsa hits.

They actually had 3 hits (3 for 13) with runners in scoring position, but only scored one run. Tampa Bay was 0 for 11.

soxfan21
04-16-2009, 10:36 PM
A win is a win even though we should have won this one by at least 4 or 5.

veeter
04-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Along with poor execution, there were a lot of bad breaks. I mean, how does that ball take a bad hop on Getz? Josh Fields looks really good. Carlos will come through. Ozzie is doing some of his best managing ever, IMO. 2-1 is a nice start.

hawkjt
04-16-2009, 10:38 PM
As much beefing as we are doing, I still like having the Sox get 14 hits...eventually, they will have some of those come with guys in scoring position..if they are not hitting at all, then we have a complaint.

Johnny Danks was more of the same..guy just goes out nite after nite and gives the Sox a chance.

Maybe Ozzie needs to do the hit and run more with the youngsters..force them to focus.

manders_01
04-16-2009, 10:40 PM
I definitely liked the outcome of this one! :thumbsup:

guillensdisciple
I love me some White Sox baseball, and some over .500 White Sox baseball. Lets stay this way!!!

EuroSox35
It was nice to see Bobby just forget about the runners there at the end, it looked like they were starting to get in his head, just focus on the hitter in those situations

I was in the car/listening on the radio in the middle of the game, but they were starting to get on Cox for not sending Dye on one of those times the Sox had multiple base hits but loaded the bases/couldn't score. I've never been a fan of him, if we're going to have this speed problem in the middle of the order, a good 3rd base coach is a necessity. I didn't think Razor Shines was that bad IIRC...

If this team makes the playoffs, the offense will shoot the team in the foot. It's too bad, because the pitching is good...

Tragg
04-16-2009, 10:42 PM
I can't believe they won that game.

And as painful it was for us to win, think of how much it kills Tampa Bay to lose it.
I didn't watch the game or see the boxscore but we outhit them 14-5 so it appears that they never should have been in the game, 9th inning notwithstanding.

ChiSox89
04-16-2009, 10:42 PM
wow. what a game. i'll take it, a wins a win.

Jaffar
04-16-2009, 10:43 PM
The way they scored that 3rd run is something I'd like to see a lot more of. Let's celebrate a win! :gulp:

Woofer
04-16-2009, 10:44 PM
This game made me nervous, the score was way too close due to the inability to get runners in. Getting that extra run in the 9th was the key.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Scary but any win in Tampa Bay is a good won.

chisox77
04-16-2009, 10:49 PM
In all, a good start to a tough, early road trip. Hawk said that the game was "draining." I agree, it had that kind of awful feeling to it, but the White Sox won it.

Great job by Danks. JD is the big hitter right now. Fields is looking really good in the field and at the plate. But the situational hitting needs to improve a lot for continued success.

hi im skot
04-16-2009, 10:52 PM
I didn't watch the game or see the boxscore but we outhit them 14-5 so it appears that they never should have been in the game, 9th inning notwithstanding.

Yeah, that's exactly what you'd think, but watching the game, we kept them in the game all night.

Lip Man 1
04-16-2009, 11:00 PM
I am in shock right now checking the box score of the win. Maybe shock is to strong of a word, by my God, how in the world do you get 14 hits and only three runs?

How do you possibly leave a guy on third with less than two outs four times against a pitcher with 27 innings experience in the big leagues?

I'm just flabbergasted. And they actually worked on situational hitting in spring training?

You take the win gladly but you have to shake your head at this offense. Nothing appears to have changed since last season when it had major issues in stretches.

Lip

Dickie Kerr
04-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Whew! I don't think I've been that tense watching an April game in my life.

guillensdisciple
04-16-2009, 11:04 PM
I am in shock right now checking the box score of the win. Maybe shock is to strong of a word, by my God, how in the world do you get 14 hits and only three runs?

How do you possibly leave a guy on third with less than two outs four times against a pitcher with 27 innings experience in the big leagues?

I'm just flabbergasted. And they actually worked on situational hitting in spring training?

You take the win gladly but you have to shake your head at this offense. Nothing appears to have changed since last season when it had major issues in stretches.

Lip

There has been a lot more winning type of hitting. The way we scored in the last inning was a sight for sore eyes as it involved a lot of stealing,hit and running, and fundamental baseball in general.

This year's hitting is more balanced. I also don't think we have seen that many opportunities to see this team as a death threat in the clutch. Against the tigers we got them in and got them on every time, today we had some issues hitting when we needed to. It's not often that Carlos Quentin can't get runners in for you. This will pass. This team is showing signs of being MUCH better than last years.

HawkDJ
04-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Just for the record...

Team LOB:

White Sox- 11
Tampa Bay- 10

Noneck
04-16-2009, 11:07 PM

Lip
And pitchers working on how to hold baserunners? Or is that just ignored, year after year?

chisox77
04-16-2009, 11:07 PM
Just for the record...

Team LOB:

White Sox- 11
Tampa Bay- 10

Solid post here.

soxinem1
04-16-2009, 11:08 PM
Never argue with a win. Especially against the defending AL champs in their home dump.

Even with all the wasted baserunners, three hit-no run innings, you are right. Every champion wins the majority of the close ones, high scoring ones, low scoring ones, and definitely the ugly ones.

DSpivack
04-16-2009, 11:09 PM
There has been a lot more winning type of hitting. The way we scored in the last inning was a sight for sore eyes as it involved a lot of stealing,hit and running, and fundamental baseball in general.

This year's hitting is more balanced. I also don't think we have seen that many opportunities to see this team as a death threat in the clutch. Against the tigers we got them in and got them on every time, today we had some issues hitting when we needed to. It's not often that Carlos Quentin can't get runners in for you. This will pass. This team is showing signs of being MUCH better than last years.

Yeah, that 8-run game against the Twins saw only 1 HR, too.

SoxGirl4Life
04-16-2009, 11:11 PM

Agreed. Last year, we lose this game.

DickAllen72
04-16-2009, 11:11 PM
If this team wants to be a contender, it needs to watch how they executed in the top half of the ninth, watch AJ's first two at bats, and then let Buehrle teach the pitchers how to hold a ****ing runner.

What a game. You always will take it, but there's gotta come a time where the Sox learn to focus in on situational hitting.
A quality major league centerfielder would help.

DickAllen72
04-16-2009, 11:12 PM
FIVE times in nine innings, they couldn't bring in a runner from 3rd with less than two outs. Not acceptable.
Bingo.

guillensdisciple
04-16-2009, 11:14 PM
A quality major league centerfielder would help.

Brian Anderson scored the winning run. It has been 9 games, and our centerfielders haven't lost us any games yet. Let them breathe.

thedudeabides
04-16-2009, 11:15 PM

Agreed. This offense already looks a lot different to me. There is nothing we can do about Dye, Thome, and Konerko being slow, but those guys produce. The rest of the lineup this year can run the bases. You are already seeing Ozzie able to do some things he hasn't been able to do since 2005.

Quentin is not going to keep hitting like that with risp. It was very poor execution tonight, but they manufactured an important run when they needed it.

Noneck
04-16-2009, 11:20 PM
and then let Buehrle teach the pitchers how to hold a ****ing runner.

That is a little bit too much responsibility for your #1.

Coaches get paid for that and players have all off season and spring training to work on it but nothing changes year after year.

kevingrt
04-16-2009, 11:45 PM
After the Hawks + Sox game I have lost a decade off my 22 year body.

White City
04-16-2009, 11:45 PM
Brian Anderson scored the winning run. It has been 9 games, and our centerfielders haven't lost us any games yet. Let them breathe.

Technically, Jim Thome did. His run gave us a lead that was never relinquished. But practically, speaking we don't win that game -- or at least it goes to extras- without BA's run.

Marqhead
04-16-2009, 11:46 PM
Technically, Jim Thome did. His run gave us a lead that was never relinquished. But practically, speaking we don't win that game -- or at least it goes to extras- without BA's run.

This is incorrect. BA scored the 3rd run. That was the run that won the game 3-2. :scratch:

hawkjt
04-16-2009, 11:52 PM
Who were the culprits leaving guys on third with less than two outs?

BA- has a long swing working now, but hopefully will shorten it up as he gets enough at bats...he has been the worst so far in this dubious category.

TCQ- swinging ok, but is a power guy who cannot or does not shorten up to situational hit..

Alexi- probably the worst right now in terms of patience...he always swings at the first two pitches no matter what which makes him horrible in these situations until he gets grooving...

Big Jim....free swinger..gonna strike out a ton.

Must cut down on these swings in these situations.

Madscout
04-16-2009, 11:56 PM
Who were the culprits leaving guys on third with less than two outs?

BA- has a long swing working now, but hopefully will shorten it up as he gets enough at bats...he has been the worst so far in this dubious category.

TCQ- swinging ok, but is a power guy who cannot or does not shorten up to situational hit..

Alexi- probably the worst right now in terms of patience...he always swings at the first two pitches no matter what which makes him horrible in these situations until he gets grooving...

Big Jim....free swinger..gonna strike out a ton.

Must cut down on these swings in these situations.
He will get into a groove. Just give him some time. 1 hit today, a couple walks when wise got injured, a walk the next day. He is our 9 hole hitter. 9 hole.

SoxGirl4Life
04-16-2009, 11:56 PM
This is incorrect. BA scored the 3rd run. That was the run that won the game 3-2. :scratch:

Winning run is the run that puts the eventually winning team ahead to stay. So technically, since the Sox had the lead the whole game, Thome's run was the winning run.

sox102
04-16-2009, 11:57 PM

ssshhh, don't tell dankerific. he probably already changed his signature! :rolleyes:

ramblinsoxfan11
04-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Sox win, Hawks win, cubs lose... Glorious Day :gulp:

jabrch
04-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Winning run is the run that puts the eventually winning team ahead to stay. So technically, since the Sox had the lead the whole game, Thome's run was the winning run.

What's the difference. Every run is important in a 3-2 game. BA played a big role in us winning today. Good.

guillensdisciple
04-17-2009, 12:13 AM
ssshhh, don't tell dankerific. he probably already changed his signature! :rolleyes:

HAHAHA

I'll make sure not to message him.

Tragg
04-17-2009, 12:14 AM
Hitters 7-8-9 are the 3 best baserunners on the team (although hitters 1 and 2 could be; I haven't seen them enough to judge).
Going from first to third on a single is like stealing a base - that will pay off and might offset the station to station of our middle third.

voodoochile
04-17-2009, 12:20 AM
Nice win even if it shouldn't have been that close. Bobby just missed so many pitches, but got it done in the end. Giving up a stolen base on the fake to third throw to first play is pretty sad, but Iwamura is one fast little ****.

Could have been worse... they could have lost...

:winner

:)

Metalthrasher442
04-17-2009, 12:24 AM
I only listened on the radio.. so how the **** did Fields leg out that single? Poor throw?

It's Dankerific
04-17-2009, 12:24 AM

What's the difference. Every run is important in a 3-2 game. BA played a big role in us winning today. Good.

HAHAHA

I'll make sure not to message him.

I expect the starting CF to contribute, and he did. I'd have also preferred an RBI. But in the 9th inning, he came through.

Hope its something he continues to build on. every day he gets on base. thats a good start.

Soxaredabest
04-17-2009, 12:26 AM
I only listened on the radio.. so how the **** did Fields leg out that single? Poor throw?

stutter step by the shortstop

Metalthrasher442
04-17-2009, 12:27 AM
stutter step by the shortstop

Figured. Still impressive though!

Night guys.. let's win tomorrow too.

Lip Man 1
04-17-2009, 12:52 AM
For what it's worth I spoke to a person connected with MLB tonight and asked about the top and bottom of the order.

Said person said, they do have the potential to be better then last season but potential (direct quote) "ain't getting it done today.''

Lip

BleacherBandit
04-17-2009, 01:38 AM
I was yelling at Bobby through my television a few times that last inning. Boy was that a close call.

You can't be too impressed with the box score from our team. 14 hits, only 3 runs. Oh brother. I'm impressed with Fields thusfar, and I'm not too impressed with Bobby. But a win's a win, I guess.

pudge
04-17-2009, 02:44 AM
For what it's worth I spoke to a person connected with MLB tonight and asked about the top and bottom of the order.

Said person said, they do have the potential to be better then last season but potential (direct quote) "ain't getting it done today.''

Lip

So in essence, some "said" person made some random, vague, worthless comment nine games into a season.

Konerko05
04-17-2009, 02:46 AM
Figured. Still impressive though!

Night guys.. let's win tomorrow too.

It was a clean triple in the right-center gap. He has two triples this season. He has decent speed. He just looks like he's moving much slower than he actually is.

oeo
04-17-2009, 04:32 AM

Lip

Can you send your connection a thank you for the ground-breaking news?

Alexei needs to get his head out of his ass, and the top/bottom should be okay.

ms620
04-17-2009, 06:33 AM
I am not one who typically bashed Walker...but I think he needs to figure out how to help Getz and BA. BA's swing is way too long now, and Getz doesnt hit the ball on the ground enough. But when they put on the hit and run, Getz and a nice inside out swing and hit it on the ground. BA seems to have a different approach when runners are on base compared to when the bases are empty. This needs to be fixed. Hopefully Walker can help them.

Konerko05
04-17-2009, 06:57 AM
I am not one who typically bashed Walker...but I think he needs to figure out how to help Getz and BA. BA's swing is way too long now, and Getz doesnt hit the ball on the ground enough. But when they put on the hit and run, Getz and a nice inside out swing and hit it on the ground. BA seems to have a different approach when runners are on base compared to when the bases are empty. This needs to be fixed. Hopefully Walker can help them.

The whole team seems to have their big swing going whenver a runner is on third. They should be focusing on getting the guy on third home before they start thinking about driving themselves in.

Homeruns are great, but the it's very rare a White Sox hitter cuts his swing down. This is something Walker should be drilling into their heads.

Frater Perdurabo
04-17-2009, 07:05 AM
The whole team seems to have their big swing going whenver a runner is on third. They should be focusing on getting the guy on third home before they start thinking about driving themselves in.

Homeruns are great, but the it's very rare a White Sox hitter cuts his swing down. This is something Walker should be drilling into their heads.

Shortening and leveling your swing are two important aspects of the Lau/Hriniak approach, that seemed to be so important to the White Sox brain trust.

So why have the Sox gotten away from the Lau/Hriniak approach?

spawn
04-17-2009, 08:12 AM
I actually enjoyed the game. Sure, there were a lot of runners stranded in scoring position, but TB had their share as well. The pitching was solid on both sides, and the Sox got the one timely hit they really needed. What a difference watching Dye, Konerko, and AJ string together htis without scoring a run, and then BA with a hit, a successful hit-and-run with Getz up, and yet another hit-and-run with Fields that produced the game winner.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-17-2009, 08:19 AM
I was in class so I tried to follow along on MLB's app. I got home in time for the 9th....and it was driving me crazy. Nice to see them hang onto one. It got a wee bit sticky there at the end....

hi im skot
04-17-2009, 09:11 AM

Lip

Lip, I talked to my mom after the game last night and she pretty much said the same thing. Think you can use one of your connections to help get her a gig on the MLB Network?

doublem23
04-17-2009, 09:18 AM
Lip, I talked to my mom after the game last night and she pretty much said the same thing. Think you can use one of your connections to help get her a gig on the MLB Network?

:rolling:

Thank god for this anonymous tip, here I was thinking the top and bottom of our lineup was raking. :dunce:

thedudeabides
04-17-2009, 09:49 AM

Lip

Did you watch the game Lip? What didn't they get done? The three consecutive hits by BA, Getz, and Fields were of huge importance in this win. And with those three, Ozzie was able to put the runners in motion twice.

The 8-9-1-2 slots produced 7 hits yesterday! If that 'aint getting it done', please tell me what is?

As previous posters have said Quentin, Thome, Alexei, and BA were the culprits yesterday with stranding runners. Quentin and Alexei showed a nice propensity to drive in runs last year, and we don't even need to discuss Thome. Brian, understandably seems to be pressing a little. I think he'll loosen up once he gets his first hit in an RBI situation. If not, he's hitting in the nine hole. I really don't think you can look at one game, which the Sox won, as a trend.

Frankfan4life
04-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Once again BBBJ makes it "interesting" in the 9th. But he gets the job done and that's what matters.

Getting another W in Tampa (St. Pete, actually) is the goal right now. I want a sweep but I'll be satisfied with a split. If the Sox continue to hit like they've been hitting, they will score runs.

guillensdisciple
04-17-2009, 10:35 AM

:worship::rolling:

oeo
04-17-2009, 10:59 AM

Anderson is a lost cause. :duck:

Walker will probably do typical work with Getz: do nothing and hope things get better. If they don't, hey, it's not his fault. For the record, I think Getz will be okay.

ChiSoxGirl
04-17-2009, 11:11 AM

This is the one thing I am NOT looking forward to about going to tomorrow night's game!

I finished watching this one shortly before heading out last night and while it was a win, it wasn't without a mild heart attack in the ninth!!! Yikes!!!! Let's hope Bartolo pitches as well tonight as he did last Saturday!

AZChiSoxFan
04-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Just for the record...

Team LOB:

White Sox- 11
Tampa Bay- 10

How many times did Tampa have a runner at third with < 2outs and fail to bring him in?

AZChiSoxFan
04-17-2009, 11:19 AM
I was yelling at Bobby through my television a few times that last inning. Boy was that a close call.

You can't be too impressed with the box score from our team. 14 hits, only 3 runs. Oh brother. I'm impressed with Fields thusfar, and I'm not too impressed with Bobby. But a win's a win, I guess.

In Bobby's defense, he basically got 4 outs in the 9th.

DirtySox
04-17-2009, 11:22 AM

Win. :)

BadBobbyJenks
04-17-2009, 11:31 AM
How good is Josh Fields?

LoveYourSuit
04-17-2009, 11:53 AM
How many times did Tampa have a runner at third with < 2outs and fail to bring him in?

Someone made the arguement on the game thread that TB was leaving as many on base as us. It's like saying, if the other teams sucks that night it's ok for us to suck too.

It's the same arguement about the Al Central. Everyone we will be bunched up at the end, so it's OK for the Sox to play .500 baseball all year. :rolleyes:

Risk
04-17-2009, 11:56 AM
How good is Josh Fields?

Fields looks a lot better at the plate so far. He still strikes out too much, but it seems his pitch recognition is getting better and that on two strike counts he is shortening his swing (something he didn't do last year or in 2007). Last night in the 8th, he fought off a real good pitch from Cormier on the lower part of the outside corner on a full count which probably would have been strike 3 before he legged out the RBI infield single (granted, Bartlett had to move to his right and looked to go to second base first but the play wasn't there). He doesn't appear fast, but he moves pretty well (amazing what one can do with two healthy legs).

His D seems to be getting better (notwithstanding the bondheaded error in Detoilet on Weds.). He's never going to be Crede out there, but hopefully he continues to improve (I think his D will be a continual work in progress).

Hopefully Fields is turning the corner b/c this team can't afford him sucking.

Risk

sunofgold
04-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Was a game of missed opportunities for both teams.

Sometimes, credit has to go to the pitchers when they pitch out of jams. Pitchers usually turn it up a notch when batters on base.

You aren't going to drive in runs with men on base everytime. However, overall, our team batting average with runners on has to be horrible so far. As a team, we need to improve in this area. Not singling out any player b/c this is a team sport , right?

I think BA will be fine starting in CF. With Brian, you are going to get solid defense and a good effort. 2 stolen bases already when he 5 for the whole season last year. He probably just need a couple of key clutch hit to get his confidence up.

asindc
04-17-2009, 11:59 AM

I was thinking the same thing when I read the box score this morning. I think Sox pitchers walked at least 5 batters, so the LOB stat for Tampa hitters would be skewed a bit.

Bottom line, the Sox hitters had many more opportunities to put 5-6 runs on the board, but flat out failed.

By the way, if Fields keeps this up, "Joe who?" will become my mantra for this season.

Lip Man 1
04-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Dude:

I took that comment to mean in general terms, not specifically one game. I took out of it that these guys could be more willing to run, bunt, get on base then what they had last year, but it's a crapshoot.

I got the distinct feeling this person felt the Sox should have gone after some of the more reliable options that were out there this off season.

Time will tell who was closer to the truth I guess.

Lip

spawn
04-17-2009, 12:09 PM
:thumbsup:

thedudeabides
04-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Dude:

I took that comment to mean in general terms, not specifically one game. I took out of it that these guys could be more willing to run, bunt, get on base then what they had last year, but it's a crapshoot.

I got the distinct feeling this person felt the Sox should have gone after some of the more reliable options that were out there this off season.

Time will tell who was closer to the truth I guess.

Lip

Gotcha. In general, I like the versatility of the lineup compared to last year. None of these guys are straight burners, but I don't think the station to station stuff is going to be as bad as last year.

BoysMom3
04-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Ummm. Heh. I have an admission to make. I feel dumb admitting it, but the term keeps coming up, so I must ask - what does station to station mean?

asindc
04-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Ummm. Heh. I have an admission to make. I feel dumb admitting it, but the term keeps coming up, so I must ask - what does station to station mean?

From base to base. For instance, last night Dye, Pauley, and AJ hit three singles in a row and each time the runner(s) on base moved up just one base at a time.

Contrast that with BA going from 1st to 3rd on a single in the 9th inning.

tebman
04-17-2009, 12:20 PM

It's what happens when the hitters are too slow to advance more than one base. Example:

Thome: hit, runner on first.
Dye: hit, runners on first and second because Thome's too slow to get to third.
Konerko: hit, bases loaded, because Thome & Dye aren't fast enough to get around to score.

So it's: first --> second --> third --> hope for a fourth hit. That's station-to-station.

Last night's 9th inning showed that it doesn't have to be that way.

Edit: asindc covered this with fewer words.

BoysMom3
04-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks, guys. I had never heard that term before this year, but now I'm seeing all over this board.

asindc
04-17-2009, 12:40 PM
It's what happens when the hitters are too slow to advance more than one base. Example:

Thome: hit, runner on first.
Dye: hit, runners on first and second because Thome's too slow to get to third.
Konerko: hit, bases loaded, because Thome & Dye aren't fast enough to get around to score.

So it's: first --> second --> third --> hope for a fourth hit. That's station-to-station.

Last night's 9th inning showed that it doesn't have to be that way.

Edit: asindc covered this with fewer words.

By the way, I was listening on the radio over mlb.com, and Farmer and DJ made it sound like Cox should have sent JD when he rounded 3rd. They mentioned that JD had a conversation with Cox soon after he got the stop sign.

I think this might have contributed to JD's decision to stretch a single into a double later in the game.

tebman
04-17-2009, 12:50 PM
By the way, I was listening on the radio over mlb.com, and Farmer and DJ made it sound like Cox should have sent JD when he rounded 3rd. They mentioned that JD had a conversation with Cox soon after he got the stop sign.

I think this might have contributed to JD's decision to stretch a single into a double later in the game.

Could be. I watched that last night and realized that Dye underestimated the Rays' outfield. It was a great throw.

I probably could've used Pierzynski as a better example than Dye in my post. But while Dye is a better runner than Thome, Konerko, or Pierzynski, he's still not a real base-advancing threat. If he thought he'd been thwarted by Cox on the earlier play it might've made him more ambitious rounding first on that hit.

spawn
04-17-2009, 12:52 PM

He probably would've sent him. The problem is, if you see the replay, as Dye is running to third, instead of looking at Cox the whole way, he turns twice to see where the ball is, which obviously kills momentum. If he's just paying attention to his 3rd base coach, he may have gotten the green light and scored.

asindc
04-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Could be. I watched that last night and realized that Dye underestimated the Rays' outfield. It was a great throw.

I probably could've used Pierzynski as a better example than Dye in my post. But while Dye is a better runner than Thome, Konerko, or Pierzynski, he's still not a real base-advancing threat. If he thought he'd been thwarted by Cox on the earlier play it might've made him more ambitious rounding first on that hit.

That's exactly what I thought about it. JD is my favorite player and a true professional, but I think his pride got stung a bit there.

doublem23
04-17-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm sure Dye getting thrown out at home by 10 feet on Opening Day influenced Cox's decision not to send him.

Ranger
04-17-2009, 01:15 PM
I was in the car/listening on the radio in the middle of the game, but they were starting to get on Cox for not sending Dye on one of those times the Sox had multiple base hits but loaded the bases/couldn't score. I've never been a fan of him, if we're going to have this speed problem in the middle of the order, a good 3rd base coach is a necessity.

He is a good third base coach. As far as third base coaches go, he doesn't make that many mistakes. If he did, there would be a LOT more Sox thrown out at the plate. Last night, he probably should have let Dye go but I prefer caution over recklessness. He can't make 'em run fast.

34 Inch Stick
04-17-2009, 01:19 PM
His actions are further justified by Dye getting thrown out at second yesterday.

I really wonder who is the slowest of Dye, Konerko, Thome and Pierzynski.

Ranger
04-17-2009, 01:21 PM
He probably would've sent him. The problem is, if you see the replay, as Dye is running to third, instead of looking at Cox the whole way, he turns twice to see where the ball is, which obviously kills momentum. If he's just paying attention to his 3rd base coach, he may have gotten the green light and scored.

This is absolutely correct. I said that to one of the producers right after it happened. If you are halfway between 1st and 2nd, there is absolutely zero point in looking at the ball. ESPECIALLY if the ball is behind you. You're in no man's land at that point and all you can do is put your head down and run. Nothing can be accomplished when you're turning all the way around to see if the throw is coming. I'm not sure what he was doing on that one.

Whappeh
04-17-2009, 01:21 PM
I went live and finally saw the White Sox win a game in person... :D:

1-8 lifetime.

chaotic8512
04-17-2009, 02:04 PM

The sad thing is, it was Kapler who threw him out... I'd imagine that Crawford and Upton would have done the same.

I went live and finally saw the White Sox win a game in person... :D:

1-8 lifetime.

Funny you say that, a similar streak ended for me last night... before last night, I was 0-5 at Tropicana (1-0 at the Cell). Guess I wasn't going to get that first win without a heartattack. A few observations...

- Fields looks really good out there. He made some good plays in the field (one play to his left sticks out in my mind), with his bat, and on the basepaths (bobble or not, way to beat out the throw). I also got to see him take BP... wow. He hit one on the roof of the Batter's Eye restaurant in CF; that had to have been 430-440 feet, easily, one of three deep shots he hit in a row.

- The cowbells are ridiculously annoying for the first inning or two, then towards the end. But the fans aren't really persistent with it. I'm sure the draw will be better for the weekend, but attendance of 13,000 for the fourth game of the season for the AL champs is just pathetic.

- Fan interaction was a mixed bag. There was a really annoying woman who kept yelling at Carl Crawford and BJ Upton, saying she loved them and some, well, other vulgar things. I didn't mind it, but (1) she was drunk by the second inning, (2) there were kids around, and (3) she spit a little of her beer on my little brother. On the other hand, a Rays fan congratulated us on the victory, very genuinely.

We had a very nice turnout of White Sox fans; coupled with the low attendance, we got some "Let's go White Sox" chants going. We met a very nice and knowledgeable couple in LF. But, there was also a guy yelling at our players for every little Sox miscue. His daughter, about 8 or 9, finally told him to shut up. :D:

- I saw at least 15 or 20 people wearing Scrubs gear. Really?

It was a very fun night, and after getting that elusive first win at the Trop, I made sure to jam to Sweet Home Chicago on the way back home. :cool:

Tragg
04-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Shortening and leveling your swing are two important aspects of the Lau/Hriniak approach, that seemed to be so important to the White Sox brain trust.

So why have the Sox gotten away from the Lau/Hriniak approach?
Because that approach is incompatible with a free-swinging approach.

voodoochile
04-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Because that approach is incompatible with a free-swinging approach.

Actually, it's because it's tough to teach and it's not like most people teach hitting, so you have to tear down swings and then rebuild them from scratch and there's no guarantee it will take for every player.

oeo
04-17-2009, 02:42 PM

It's not even a question that it's Konerko.

I'd put slowest to fastest:
1)Konerko
2)Thome
3)Pierzynski
4)Dye

With Thome and AJ kind of a tossup.

asindc
04-17-2009, 03:38 PM
His actions are further justified by Dye getting thrown out at second yesterday.

Pauley, without a doubt. He is at least 5 years older speed-wise than his actual age.

I think Dye beats the rest of them in a footrace with no problem.

Jurr
04-17-2009, 03:42 PM
The funny part about this running debate is the fact that Paulie may be the only one of the group with an inside-the-park homer on the back of his baseball card.

doublem23
04-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Actually, it's because it's tough to teach and it's not like most people teach hitting, so you have to tear down swings and then rebuild them from scratch and there's no guarantee it will take for every player.

Yeah, didn't the Sox fire Walt Hriniak because his approach basically hurt everyone on the team except for Frank?

hawkjt
04-17-2009, 06:23 PM
Pauley, without a doubt. He is at least 5 years older speed-wise than his actual age.

I think Dye beats the rest of them in a footrace with no problem.

Jermaine stood at the box watching that pool cued ball squeak inside the line before he started running on that play. He makes it easy if he is busting it out of the box...but he was shocked it was fair,I think. He should not have tried for second after his late start.

Dye is a lot faster than the others...once he gets going..his long strides eat up the dirt.

Lip Man 1
04-17-2009, 06:49 PM
There were a number of players who didn't get along with Walt...from Cory Snyder to Robin Ventura and that played a part of it.

Lip