PDA

View Full Version : My 2009 resolution; Breaking cubsession

thechico
04-16-2009, 05:25 PM
OK, so I admit it. I'm Cub-sessed. I've owned 2 "Cubs Magic Number" t-shirts. Look at my signature (need to change that). But this season, I'm going to try to be more of a Sox fan by not paying attention to the Cubs:
1. When the Cubs replay/news comes on TV, I'll skip ahead on the DVR, or think about something else a little while.
2. I will not look at the Cubs division standings in order to compare to the beloved Sox.
3. When I see someone in Cubs garb around work, I'll look the other way or think about that Sox jersey I'd like to get.
4. If I hear someone talk (or write smack) about the Sox, I'll ignore them instead of circling the war wagons.

So my plan basically comes down to breaking the Cubsession by ignoring anything to do with them. I reason that by doing so, I'll be a much happier Sox fan.
So I put it to you: any words of advice?

Quentin4prez
04-16-2009, 05:41 PM
***.... im a little confused are u a sox fan cubs fan or both?
despite what people might say its fine to like both teams. i don't like the cubs but that doesn't stop me from watching a couple games on TV ur being a little drastic.

I want Mags back
04-16-2009, 07:15 PM
***.... im a little confused are u a sox fan cubs fan or both?
despite what people might say its fine to like both teams. i don't like the cubs but that doesn't stop me from watching a couple games on TV ur being a little drastic.

I think he is saying he was more Anti-Cubs than pro Sox, and that he'd like to change that.

chisox77
04-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Just focus on the White Sox . . . you can do it.

guillensdisciple
04-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Just focus on the White Sox . . . you can do it.

This is a lot harder than you think. I take the yellow line to school everyday, and since the Cubs have opened up (and since they only play at 1 in the afternoon) I have had to deal with a good 60 or 70 Cubs fans stuffed into a train. I don't want to sit anywhere so I just stand, and all I have been hearing is "he's a White Sox fan"... "White Sox"... "Sox". Don't take me wrong, I have come to respect the average cubs fan, I dislike them, but I make sure to treat them as human beings not as foolish fans.

Still, it is a little odd to be looked at like a freak of nature. Ehh, can't complain too much, I kind of like it.

voodoochile
04-16-2009, 10:40 PM
You're on the right track. I gave up hating on the flubbies a long time ago. The only vestige that stuck is my inability to type their name correctly on these forums.

For me it comes down to a few simple things.

I have flubbie friends. Most of my really good real world friends are die hard flubbie fans and their kids (who I am an Uncle to) are also. It definitely changes your perspctive when you have people you really care about who care about the flubs. I would rather see them happy than see the flubs lose.
2005 - really this is the final straw. Anyone who still carries a grudge against a team that hasn't won a championship in over 100 years is just being silly. Might as well hate a bird for having wings. You can't change nature.
Too much energy is wasted on hating things and honestly, the opposite of love isn't hate it's indifference. Why waste all that time and energy on something that you supposedly don't care about. Let it go and indeed you will be a happier Sox fan...

kevingrt
04-16-2009, 10:44 PM
You're on the right track. I gave up hating on the flubbies a long time ago. The only vestige that stuck is my inability to type their name correctly on these forums.

I have flubbie friends. Most of my really good real world friends are die hard flubbie fans and their kids (who I am an Uncle to) are also. It definitely changes your perspctive when you have people you really care about who care about the flubs. I would rather see them happy than see the flubs lose.
2005 - really this is the final straw. Anyone who still carries a grudge against a team that hasn't won a championship in over 100 years is just being silly. Might as well hate a bird for having wings. You can't change nature.
Too much energy is wasted on hating things and honestly, the opposite of love isn't hate it's indifference. Why waste all that time and energy on something that you supposedly don't care about. Let it go and indeed you will be a happier Sox fan...

You could not sum it up better. I am only 22 and long ago gave up hating the scrubbies. The only thing I still do is call them differently on this forum. I happily go to Wrigley when a scrubby fan (about 90% of my close friends are urinal fans) has free tickets or cheap tickets. The ballpark sucks but it is baseball. When I go I have a fun time and usually just bet on the over and root for runs on a wind out day or the under on a wind in day.

But your three points are so right. I don't even know why I am responding with such a long message.

fram40
04-16-2009, 11:42 PM
I gotta watch the cubs I don't hate the cubs but I sure as heck love to laugh and weird things happen in cubs games it is just unbelievable some of things I have seen the Cubs do as well as things that happen to them

the utter ineptitude even when they have had a good team the last few years they still do things that simply defy logic and good baseball Just hilarious plus I need ammunition to fire back at cubs fans when they start talking smack

maybe the worm has turned however it is surprising that the "fourth out" thing (see talking baseball forum) did not happen to the cubs

Nellie_Fox
04-17-2009, 12:14 AM
despite what people might say its fine to like both teams.Not unless you're under 12 years old. Then it's time to sack up and choose.

kevingrt
04-17-2009, 07:30 AM
say its fine to like both teams. i don't like the cubs but that doesn't stop me from watching a couple games on TV ur being a little drastic.

You are wrong.

white sox bill
04-17-2009, 07:44 AM
thechico, you have the right idea. I make my puny living in a small rural community 100 miles from Chicago and there is more Packer paraphernalia than Sox around here. The White Sox is something you put on your feet in the AM. When I tell cub fans I'm a Sox fan, it silences them. I can just tell they have nothing to say. Because they know nothing about the Sox. What the thought process in their pea-size brain is anyone's guess.

Voodoo hit the nail on the head, something I been saying for decades. Indifference is the only way to be. Its kinda a human nature thing, I've had close to 20 relationships in probably the last 25 years and
occasionally
I will be out and about and will run across an ex-GF who is with her current. Now if I acted all bent out of shape, she'd eat it up. I usually act like I don't even see them or go and introduce myself to him(if the break up was civil) It blows her mind. Hate is an emotion that rivals love.

Next time when your cub friends are talking about the game, don't be a tool....just act like you don't even know where they are in the standings and haven't seen a cub game yet this yr. "So has Lou blown up yet?" "Any new faces on this team?" "Do you guys still have that Japanese player on your team?" It will blow their minds...

DumpJerry
04-17-2009, 07:51 AM
Who are these Cubs people are talking about?

Madvora
04-17-2009, 07:57 AM
This is a lot harder than you think. I take the yellow line to school everyday, and since the Cubs have opened up (and since they only play at 1 in the afternoon) I have had to deal with a good 60 or 70 Cubs fans stuffed into a train. I don't want to sit anywhere so I just stand, and all I have been hearing is "he's a White Sox fan"... "White Sox"... "Sox". Don't take me wrong, I have come to respect the average cubs fan, I dislike them, but I make sure to treat them as human beings not as foolish fans.

Still, it is a little odd to be looked at like a freak of nature. Ehh, can't complain too much, I kind of like it.
I see all of these dorks dressed up in their blue clown outfits on the red line after a game. It's really embarrassing that we share a city with these people.

aryzner
04-17-2009, 08:04 AM
My girlfriend is a huge Cubs fan.

We go to Sox games. We go to Cubs games.

I root for my team. She roots for her team.

Don't really have any hate or much of a problem at all. Luckily she also has Cub fans in her family that can just talk baseball with me. One of her cousins is a Cub fan and loves Alexei Ramirez.

Some of you folks on WSI act like a guy killed your mother right in front of your eyes and then yelled, "Go Cubs!" to you.

Not all, but some.

cbone
04-17-2009, 08:19 AM
I have a very good friend who is a diehard Cub fan. I talked to him before the playoffs last year. I asked him what he thought his chances were after having a pretty good season by anyone's standards. His response, "Are you kidding, we're the Cubs, we'll find a way to **** it up." He wasn't kidding and I actually felt a little sorry for him.

Andy T Clown
04-17-2009, 08:25 AM
2005 helps me a lot, but I still could not belive that there was no story on the dead goat in the Cubune. I could always argue with a cub fan and win but indifference drives them NUTS.

Sad
04-17-2009, 09:00 AM

Don't really have any hate or much of a problem at all. Luckily she also has Cub fans in her family that can just talk baseball with me. One of her cousins is a Cub fan and loves Alexei Ramirez.

Some of you folks on WSI act like a guy killed your mother right in front of your eyes and then yelled, "Go Cubs!" to you.

Not all, but some.

yep
with the exception of those 6 inter-league games every summer they're 2 different teams in 2 different leagues in 2 different parts of town

Sargeant79
04-17-2009, 09:13 AM

To guillendisciple:

It's all in your perspective. Don't look at yourself as a freak of nature. Recognize that you are the lone shining beacon of sanity emerging from a sea of blue-clad sheep and hold your head up high. Remember: It's them with the problem.

But in all seriousness, I love giving my friends who are Cub fans a hard time, but it really comes down to just knowing that I love my team and we've got a really good track record lately. The Cubs, like any other team in the league, truly matter only on the days we play them.

BoysMom3
04-17-2009, 09:15 AM

Perfectly put, Voodoo. I especially like your point about wasting energy on hating things - I don't have time for it.

One of my instructors at the gym is a huge Cubs fan. You can't help but love her - she's so outgoing, encouraging, motivating, and fun. She has an in-law that's a Sox fan, so she goes to a Sox game every year with her family. So she brings me a green Sox hat during the week of St. Patrick's day that she got at a game, and she brought me the cool Sox calendar and schedule that was handed out at a game last week. She talks about her Cubs all the time, and I just give her a little smirk. :wink:

Iwritecode
04-17-2009, 09:34 AM
I have a very good friend who is a diehard Cub fan. I talked to him before the playoffs last year. I asked him what he thought his chances were after having a pretty good season by anyone's standards. His response, "Are you kidding, we're the Cubs, we'll find a way to **** it up." He wasn't kidding and I actually felt a little sorry for him.

He must be on the 12-step program. He's at the acceptance level.

Warriorjan
04-17-2009, 09:38 AM
I have good friends who are real Cubs fans, and we're all fine together, talking baseball, etc. I even watched game 1 of the NLDS with some in their basement. The Cubs just don't matter, keep telling yourself that. I'm usually indifferent until some of the goofy ones finally beat me down, and then I find myself torn between wanting my good friends to be happy and wanting to stick it to the idiots. I have, however, found it useful to just smile and say, "2005.....2005......2005". We won the war.

guillensdisciple
04-17-2009, 09:41 AM

Not all, but some.

Although I can't say I am a hundred percent on this, I think it has always been a small fantasy of mine (waaayyyyy back there in terms of fantasies) to have a girlfriend that is a Cubs fan.

This makes little sense considering that my family (including mom and dad) are Cubs fans, and friends are Cubs fans. There is something intriguing about it that I can't put my finger on.

Sad
04-17-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm usually indifferent until some of the goofy ones finally beat me down, and then I find myself torn between wanting my good friends to be happy and wanting to stick it to the idiots.

that's it in a nutshell

I watch alot of Cubs games, I like some of their players
I know some hardcore Cub fans that are decent, intelligent people

the Cubs-Drunk Frat-Boys are a different story... :club:

Nellie_Fox
04-17-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm the opposite of most of you. I don't hate Cubs fans particularly (although I get the dry heaves when someone talks about the "Cubbies".) I have a lot of friends who are Cubs fans, and we only do a little good-natured ribbing. My favorite uncle (and Godfather) was a lifelong Cubs fan, was very knowledgeable, watched every game and went to his grave never having seen a championship.

I hate the Cubs, because they seem to have developed a sense of entitlement, and they suck all of the baseball air out of Chicago every year. They dominate the sports news, and the news people fawn over them until I gag. The Sox are an afterthought in the media. They directly compete with the Sox, every year (unlike divisional rivalries which change over time) for the baseball dollar and the baseball attention.

voodoochile
04-17-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm not saying people should turn the other cheek if a flubbie fan starts talking trash and I'm not suggesting people actively support the team with money, just don't go looking for fights/arguments. Just ignore that team up north (to borrow and mangle a favorite phrase of mine).

I check the standings, not to compare the records of our Sox and their flubbies, but because I'm a baseball fan. I like to know who's leading the divisions and who the WC favorites are (obviously later in the season). I can't help but learn some stuff about the flubbie team as I read the on-line Chicago sports pages semi-regularly and the headlins alone are enough to keep me informed to some degree. I just don't actively seek out information on the flubs nor do I seek out discussions with flub fans other than as Nellie said in a lighthearted way. The hate stuff is too deep for me. Sports are supposed to be fun - a distraction from the real world. They aren't supposed to be the be all and end all of our existences and spending time hating on the flubs or their fans is WAY too time consuming.

southside rocks
04-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Not unless you're under 12 years old. Then it's time to sack up and choose.

That's funny -- I was 11 when I stopped following both teams equally and chose the White Sox.

I have some friends who are Cubs fans, genuine fans the way I consider myself a Sox fan, and I really do see the difference that 2005 made. This spring when I say, without thinking, 'so are you excited about the team this season?' -- the Cubs fans, without exception, get this thousand-yard stare and say '... not really. I mean, after last October ...' and they just stop talking. Yowza. I have felt kicked in the teeth by the Sox in years past, but 2005 really did redeem all of that!

However, even after 42 years of fandom, I am unable to stop resenting the unequal coverage of the two teams. Seriously, does ESPN know that there is an AL team in Chicago???? I no longer watch BBTN or any of their crap, which I'm sure is better for me anyway. Maybe some of my resentment has to do with being a lifelong south sider, we tend to think -- justifiably so -- that other parts of the city command more respect and attention.

soltrain21
04-17-2009, 07:31 PM
I watch almost every Cubs game on TV. I flip back and forth between Sox games and Cubs games. I don't like the Cubs at all, but I like baseball a hell of a lot more than I like the White Sox.

The only thing that annoys me about the Cubs are the "fans" who know nothing about the sport at all (which, yes, is plenty of them) and try to talk crap to you because you are a Sox fan.

Okay, and I hate frat guys and sorority girls.

ChiSoxFan81
04-17-2009, 08:06 PM
I enjoy the schadenfreude too much to ignore the Scrubs. It's like watching a train wreck. You just can't look away. My love of the Sox far outweighs my contempt for the north siders, but I'm glad I live in a city that can bring me a double dose of joy.

BadBobbyJenks
04-17-2009, 09:41 PM
I am going to Wrigley tomorrow as I was given a free ticket. I don't like them, but I dont have the same anger about them I did pre 2005.

SoxGirl4Life
04-17-2009, 10:19 PM
That's funny -- I was 11 when I stopped following both teams equally and chose the White Sox.

I have some friends who are Cubs fans, genuine fans the way I consider myself a Sox fan, and I really do see the difference that 2005 made. This spring when I say, without thinking, 'so are you excited about the team this season?' -- the Cubs fans, without exception, get this thousand-yard stare and say '... not really. I mean, after last October ...' and they just stop talking. Yowza. I have felt kicked in the teeth by the Sox in years past, but 2005 really did redeem all of that!

However, even after 42 years of fandom, I am unable to stop resenting the unequal coverage of the two teams. Seriously, does ESPN know that there is an AL team in Chicago???? I no longer watch BBTN or any of their crap, which I'm sure is better for me anyway. Maybe some of my resentment has to do with being a lifelong south sider, we tend to think -- justifiably so -- that other parts of the city command more respect and attention.

I've seen the same thing this year with people at work. Oh, there's the standard fluff fan who wants to leave early to go to the game, but can't tell you anyone's name beyond Soriano and Zambrano. But for one kid, I can see the lifetime of disappointment, and I can't razz him about it.

Jose.Contreras
04-17-2009, 11:05 PM
I think you should do the opposite. Don't hide the fact that you hate the Cubs. EMBRACE IT!

I'm just gonna come right out and state that I AM UNAPOLOGETIC CUB HATER.......AND I LOVE IT! I do not hide the fact that I root hard for the Cubs to fail in every way and every day. I just feel that I have no reason to hide the fact that I take pleasure in the Cubs franchise and their fans pathetic misery. I enjoy watching the Cubs lose and it makes me happy when they fail.

It's in the blood. My dad and brother feel the same way as I do. It's actually a great bond that the three of us share. We got together for their collapse in '03 and we had an absolute blast when they blew game 6 and 7! And last year we all watched together with much laughter and joy when the cubs got PUMMELED by being swept by the Dodgers.

I am a huge White Sox fan and I am very vocal about it. Being a White Sox fan since birth has been awesome and winning the '05 World Series was an incredible experience.

When we won the 2005 Wold Series it was like dropping the atomic bomb on the entire White Sox vs Cubs rivalry. But make no mistake about it, I think you shouldn't try to hide your feelings about cheering against the Cubs. Go for it with full force man!

WhiteSoxOnly
04-17-2009, 11:25 PM
I think you should do the opposite. Don't hide the fact that you hate the Cubs. EMBRACE IT!

I'm just gonna come right out and state that I AM UNAPOLOGETIC CUB HATER.......AND I LOVE IT! I do not hide the fact that I root hard for the Cubs to fail in every way and every day. I just feel that I have no reason to hide the fact that I take pleasure in the Cubs franchise and their fans pathetic misery. I enjoy watching the Cubs lose and it makes me happy when they fail.

It's in the blood. My dad and brother feel the same way as I do. It's actually a great bond that the three of us share. We got together for their collapse in '03 and we had an absolute blast when they blew game 6 and 7! And last year we all watched together with much laughter and joy when the cubs got PUMMELED by being swept by the Dodgers.

I am a huge White Sox fan and I am very vocal about it. Being a White Sox fan since birth has been awesome and winning the '05 World Series was an incredible experience.

When we won the 2005 Wold Series it was like dropping the atomic bomb on the entire White Sox vs Cubs rivalry. But make no mistake about it, I think you shouldn't try to hide your feelings about cheering against the Cubs. Go for it with full force man!

Now THAT'S the spirit ! straight out and all up front,i like this guy...what was it like Jose,watching those goofs file past your house last October with
those cub looks on their faces ?

MarkZ35
04-18-2009, 12:14 AM
These last two posts were hilarious. I can't believe it took that many posts before someone came out and really let it all out. I don't put cheering against the scrubs before cheering for the Sox but I do enjoy watching them suffer. I think it all evens out for the unfair media and so forth that the Sox get snuffed on.

Gavin
04-18-2009, 10:55 AM
I don't mind the Cubs. It's the fans that bother me.

And I don't mind the lessened media coverage... seems to only be setting the Cub fans up for embarrassment when their team gets hyped year-in, year-out only to megafail.

gaelhound
04-18-2009, 11:44 AM

I was simply going to go private and let you know I understand your stance on this issue Jose. I did not want to look "Hangered" to our fellow fans.
I routinely without any provocation announce to Catalina blue garbed dopes here in Moscow on Mendota what chumps they are for backing earth's worst sports organization. If they came by their baseball honestly as a family thing or growing up near Wrigley I give them a bit of a pass. If it turns out they are from La Crosse or just thought it was "cool" to don the dunce cap with the red C I let them have it right betweeen the ventricles. I am an Irishman and I never forget or forgive injustice. Injustice has been done to Soxkind. Until they leave Chicago and end the century of shame I will crusade against anyone who thinks they are deserving of sympathy or courtesy when they acctively support a conglomerate that takes from the Sox.
Chico , live in peace if you can but keep your powder dry.

voodoochile
04-18-2009, 11:59 AM
I was simply going to go private and let you know I understand your stance on this issue Jose. I did not want to look "Hangered" to our fellow fans.
I routinely without any provocation announce to Catalina blue garbed dopes here in Moscow on Mendota what chumps they are for backing earth's worst sports organization. If they came by their baseball honestly as a family thing or growing up near Wrigley I give them a bit of a pass. If it turns out they are from La Crosse or just thought it was "cool" to don the dunce cap with the red C I let them have it right betweeen the ventricles. I am an Irishman and I never forget or forgive injustice. Injustice has been done to Soxkind. Until they leave Chicago and end the century of shame I will crusade against anyone who thinks they are deserving of sympathy or courtesy when they acctively support a conglomerate that takes from the Sox.
Chico , live in peace if you can but keep your powder dry.

:rolling:

War metaphors, FTW!

It's sports...

You're a fan....

:rolleyes:

SoxandtheCityTee
04-18-2009, 01:06 PM
So that unwearable Cubbie blue is called Catalina?

You learn something new every day.

MarySwiss
04-18-2009, 03:48 PM

Heh-heh! That sounds a lot like MrMarySwiss. He never thinks they're going anywhere in the playoffs. In fact, in 2003, I was the one who watched the final two playoff games. He was in the family room watching the World Series---of Poker! (Seriously!) He asked me to come and get him if it looked like they were going to win. He's still waiting. :D:

I've actually once or twice--in weak moments--hoped the Cubs would win in something other than attendance, for his sake. But when push comes to shove, he's not all that big of a sports fan anyway.

soxpride724
04-18-2009, 04:47 PM

I hate them as well, but for me it's mainly the fans. Now don't get me wrong, there are some decent ones out there, but it's the ******* bandwagon jerks that give all the good ones a bad name.

I don't know, I guess I would be pissed too if I couldn't get tickets to see my team beacause they were sold out due to tourists and socialites.

WhiteSox1989
04-18-2009, 04:54 PM
So Pujols just fouled a line drive straight at the third base coach for the Cardinals, and the dude falls on the ground and looked like he was in pain and the Cubbie faithfuls go wild, cheering.

guillensdisciple
04-18-2009, 04:57 PM
So Pujols just fouled a line drive straight at the third base coach for the Cardinals, and the dude falls on the ground and looked like he was in pain and the Cubbie faithfuls go wild, cheering.

Just saw that, but it's okay, they are the BEST fans in the world.

TheVulture
04-18-2009, 10:57 PM
:tsk:
Let's cut the crap. The Cubs are evil and their fans are swine.