PDA

View Full Version : Merle Harmon RIP

Lip Man 1
04-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Apparently Harry Kalas wasn't the only former MLB play by play man to pass away this week.

Merle Harmon who called the Kansas City A's, the Twins, the Brewers and the Rangers passed away at age 82.

Harmon was also the television voice of the ill fated World Football League on the TVS/Hughes television network.

And yes the 'Hughes' belonged to eccentric, reclusive multi-billionaire Howard Hughes.

Those games were produced by (drum roll please...) Eddie Einhorn.

In my library I actually have a few minutes of the original broadcast from Jacksonville.

Isn't he the father of former UCLA quarterback, now actor, Mark Harmon or is that someone else?

Lip

Dick Allen
04-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Apparently Harry Kalas wasn't the only former MLB play by play man to pass away this week.

Merle Harmon who called the Kansas City A's, the Twins, the Brewers and the Rangers passed away at age 82.

Harmon was also the television voice of the ill fated World Football League on the TVS/Hughes television network.

And yes the 'Hughes' belonged to eccentric, reclusive multi-billionaire Howard Hughes.

Those games were produced by (drum roll please...) Eddie Einhorn.

In my library I actually have a few minutes of the original broadcast from Jacksonville.

Isn't he the father of former UCLA quarterback, now actor, Mark Harmon or is that someone else?

LipFormer Michigan great Tom Harmon was the father of Mark Harmon, also of Kris Harmon, widow of Rick (Ozzie & Harriet) Nelson.

I remember Merle Harmon had sports store franchises around the midwest once upon a time.

MeteorsSox4367
04-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Former Michigan great Tom Harmon was the father of Mark Harmon, also of Kris Harmon, widow of Rick (Ozzie & Harriet) Nelson.

I remember Merle Harmon had sports store franchises around the midwest once upon a time.

Loved Merle Harmon's Fan Fair in Orland Square Mall. As a kid, they got a lot of my and my Dad's money through my purchasing of sports t-shirts. Great store.

RIP, Mr. Harmon.

ComiskeyBrewer
04-16-2009, 06:35 PM

Lip

He was also the last broadcaster for the Milwaukee Braves, and mentored Bob Uecker when he first came up with the Brewers.

kba
04-16-2009, 07:34 PM
I recall him doing some studio work for SportsVision before and after Sox games.

michned
04-16-2009, 11:51 PM
Loved Merle Harmon's Fan Fair in Orland Square Mall. As a kid, they got a lot of my and my Dad's money through my purchasing of sports t-shirts. Great store.

RIP, Mr. Harmon.

Loved those stores! They may have been nationwide because I remember them in Phoenix and Tucson in the mid-80s. Plus, it was sort of a new concept to have all that licensed apparel and stuff in one location, like a toy store for sports fans.

grv1974
04-17-2009, 04:03 AM

RIP, Mr. Harmon.

I still remember the one at Woodfield. It was on the middle level, and it was my favorite store as a kid!