PDA

View Full Version : Freddy Sanchez has 17 pitch AB

Sockinchisox
04-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Wow, pretty crazy, no idea what the record is for that but that's gotta be close right?

He ended up flying out by the way.

ChiSoxFan81
04-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Pretty impressive, but no way that's the record.

WhiteSox5187
04-16-2009, 03:52 PM
The record might actually belong to Luke Appling, wasn't he notorious for fouling off pitches?

ChiSoxFan81
04-16-2009, 03:54 PM
The record might actually belong to Luke Appling, wasn't he notorious for fouling off pitches?

They didn't officially keep record of pitches per at bat then, but legend has it Appling saw as many as 24 pitches once. I guess the modern record is 18, held by Alex Cora against Matt Clement of the Cubs.

jabrch
04-16-2009, 04:11 PM
I remember an AB that Frank had against KC on OD in either 04 or 05 that was insane. Had to be 15+ pitches... Thomas was great at fouling off pitcher's pitches.

NLaloosh
04-16-2009, 06:41 PM
I wouldn't care what the result is. A 17 pitch at bat would be fantastic for our team!

Brian26
04-16-2009, 07:13 PM
I remember an AB that Frank had against KC on OD in either 04 or 05 that was insane. Had to be 15+ pitches... Thomas was great at fouling off pitcher's pitches.

The other classic Frank Thomas at-bat that comes to mind was his walkoff homer against Eddie Guardado and the Twins on 7-2-03. I remember that being a 13 or 14 pitch AB, including a shot down the line that almost went out before he finally hit the homer. Frank kept fouling off pitches and then finally wrapped one around the LF pole to win it. That was the same game PK came out of his first-half slump to tie it in the bottom of the 11th with a homer while pinch hitting for Daubach.

That game happened just after they traded for Everett and Alomar. I honestly thought after that game that the Sox might go all the way that year.

Jurr
04-19-2009, 11:09 AM
The other classic Frank Thomas at-bat that comes to mind was his walkoff homer against Eddie Guardado and the Twins on 7-2-03. I remember that being a 13 or 14 pitch AB, including a shot down the line that almost went out before he finally hit the homer. Frank kept fouling off pitches and then finally wrapped one around the LF pole to win it. That was the same game PK came out of his first-half slump to tie it in the bottom of the 11th with a homer while pinch hitting for Daubach.

That game happened just after they traded for Everett and Alomar. I honestly thought after that game that the Sox might go all the way that year.
Yeah, and then we all came on WSI after the walk-off against Koch (by Tampa) and cried, knowing that a great deal of momentum was lost. And it was.

Jurr
04-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Speaking of the Buccos, I was at the game yesterday, and Ian Snell looked lights out! The Pirates have thrown three shutouts in five games. Could this be the year that they finally finish at or above .500? Stay tuned.

asindc
04-19-2009, 11:13 AM
I don't remember the year, but Frank was batting against Boston in Fenway, and their catcher, Tony Pena, had said publicly that Frank had a "slider-speed" bat. I don't remember the pitcher, but Frank kept fouling off fastballs. Finally about the 15th or 16 pitch, they threw him a slider. Frank blasted it for a 2-run HR.

Gavin
04-19-2009, 08:40 PM

It was 2004 in April... I too remember this at bat. Sadly I had to lose what I learned about The Oresteia in order to make space for this memory.

Shoeless_Jeff
04-22-2009, 02:23 AM
Reminds me of this: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/48680

VeeckAsInWreck
04-22-2009, 10:59 AM
Reminds me of this: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/48680

:rolling: Thanks goodness for The Onion.

DonnieDarko
04-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Speaking of the Buccos, I was at the game yesterday, and Ian Snell looked lights out! The Pirates have thrown three shutouts in five games. Could this be the year that they finally finish at or above .500? Stay tuned.

For the good of the Pittsburgh franchise and baseball in general I REALLY hope that the Pirates finish over .500 this year.