PDA

View Full Version : The Sox May Bring Another 2005 WS Hero Back.

Crede24Thome25
04-15-2009, 07:01 PM
According to Joe Cowely the giants are looking to unload Aaron Rowand, and the sox may be interested.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/04/giants-looking-to-unload-rowand.html

I want Mags back
04-15-2009, 07:04 PM
Here we go again :rolleyes:

btw, WTS!!

Rohan
04-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Doubtful...
It'd be cool but I do think it's a bit of a waste of money. As much as i'd love to watch Rowand play again, he's quite the pretty penny.
Don't think it's in the cards financially.

DirtySox
04-15-2009, 07:06 PM
This thread took longer to appear than I thought it would.

chisoxfanatic
04-15-2009, 07:10 PM
It would be awesome to have Rowand back with BA as his back-up!!!

Crede24Thome25
04-15-2009, 07:14 PM
This thread took longer to appear than I thought it would.

I was saying the same thing I tried to wait it out.

Frater Perdurabo
Sigh.

He's passable defensively - better than Swisher, Wise, Owens. Good hustle, but his instincts are more suited for LF.

Some years (2004, 2007) he's an excellent hitter for average. Other times he's just average.

He still runs the bases OK, but he's no longer a double-digit base-stealing threat.

If we were getting the 2004-2007 Rowand, then he'd be worth that money and I'd be excited about acquiring him.

But now, the Giants would need to eat a big chunk of that deal, plus take MacDougal.

Rdy2PlayBall
His stats are definitely way better than any other outfield option... But what a waist of Pods. Oh well, I think I would rather have Rowand... but like Owens and Wise, Pods is faster and fits in the leadoff...

I actually really like Getz and Fields on top... Idk, I doubt it will happen, all good rumors never go the right way for the Sox.

hi im skot
04-15-2009, 07:18 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=6179&d=1239196008

(thanks, Jjav)

DeadMoney
04-15-2009, 07:21 PM
I don't know how it would even be possible if KW doesn't have room to add salary.

house215
04-15-2009, 07:21 PM
If the Giants were willing to eat a large part of his contract, I say go for it. He is a far better option than anything else we have available currently. The White Sox need to do something aggresive to sure up the CF situation and fast.

thomas35forever
04-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Oh boy. I think WSI's server would crash if the Sox got him back.

Whitesoxfan23
04-15-2009, 07:24 PM
That is what it says on MLBtraderumors.com.

october23sp
04-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Yeah I don't see this happening.

Marqhead
04-15-2009, 07:27 PM
Rockabilly??? We need confirmation! Where are you!!!!

doublem23
04-15-2009, 07:27 PM
That is what it says on MLBtraderumors.com.

I wonder how many more times this will be posted today.

/chin scratch

Whitesoxfan23
04-15-2009, 07:28 PM
I didn't notice that it had already been posted. My bad.

Frater Perdurabo
04-15-2009, 07:38 PM
I think we need a copy editor just for this thread. I hope kittle42 doesn't come in here.

:o:

SoxGirl4Life
04-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Oh no... :gah:

Not because of Rowand, but really, the very foundation of our fan base would be knocked off its collective rocker!

SoxGirl4Life
04-15-2009, 07:44 PM
I wonder how many more times this will be posted today.

/chin scratch

Cowley must need some hits.. lol

infohawk
04-15-2009, 07:49 PM
His stats are definitely way better than any other outfield option... But what a waist of Pods. Oh well, I think I would rather have Rowand... but like Owens and Wise, Pods is faster and fits in the leadoff...

I actually really like Getz and Fields on top... Idk, I doubt it will happen, all good rumors never go the right way for the Sox.
If KW does acquire Rowand, I would see the move more as a replacement for Dye in right for next year and beyond. I mean, if the Giants ate a big chunk of Rowand's salary, KW would have a bargain right-fielder beginning next year. Rowand could definitely help the team this year, but I can just see KW staring at his 5-year board and thinking that Rowand gives him a "known entity" in right for the remainder of his contract. Seriously, if the Sox don't re-sign Dye, who's the top candidate within the organization to play right field next year (whose also better than Rowand)?

Frater Perdurabo
04-15-2009, 07:58 PM
If KW does acquire Rowand, I would see the move more as a replacement for Dye in right for next year and beyond. I mean, if the Giants ate a big chunk of Rowand's salary, KW would have a bargain right-fielder beginning next year. Rowand could definitely help the team this year, but I can just see KW staring at his 5-year board and thinking that Rowand gives him a "known entity" in right for the remainder of his contract. Seriously, if the Sox don't re-sign Dye, who's the top candidate within the organization to play right field next year (whose also better than Rowand)?

Why not put Quentin in RF and Rowand in LF?

gr8mexico
04-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Carlos Quentin will move to Right Field next year if the Sox don't pickup
Dye's option. Also If Fields keeps up playing a good 3rd Base, Dayan is going to have to move to LF or the Sox can make a run at Matt Holliday next year. The White Sox have over 40 Million Dollars coming off the books next year. Aaron Rowand is not worth it and people need to move on.

WhiteSox1989
04-15-2009, 08:12 PM
I think Cowley is just spitting out non sense.

But seriously, how many times has this been a rumor?

DSpivack
04-15-2009, 08:15 PM

$12 mil/year for a 30-some corner OF whose career OPS is below .800? Pass.

Taliesinrk
04-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Oh man... where to begin? I think this is gonna be a fun season. The Sox seem to have more drama than Lost.

SoxGirl4Life
04-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Oh man... where to begin? I think this is gonna be a fun season. The Sox seem to have more drama than Lost.

And this surprises you?

Taliesinrk
04-15-2009, 08:42 PM
And this surprises you?

Honestly, this much action within the first 2 weeks? Yes. The boards... not so much. But the fact that Wise went down (w/ all the Wise vs. Anderson talk), Pods was signed (wow), and now Rowand rumors... wow. Hopefully this is a fun summer for Sox baseball.

guillensdisciple
04-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Does anyone remember Rockability? He made a threat to leave the forum, because we criticized many of his threads. Any chance he created a new account?

NLaloosh
04-15-2009, 09:04 PM
I say that there's no way that Kenny invests that much (half Rowand's contract) for Aaron.

The Giants were just stupid on some of these contracts i.e. Barry Zito etc.

cws05champ
04-15-2009, 09:46 PM
I think when Cowley hears KW say "we can not add salary", HE hears " We are interested in acquiring a $12M/ year OF to plug a hole"

gosox41
04-15-2009, 09:49 PM
According to Joe Cowely the giants are looking to unload Aaron Rowand, and the sox may be interested.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/04/giants-looking-to-unload-rowand.html

No thank you. Not for 12 mill per year. I didn't want to sign him when he was an FA for that money and I don't want him now for that money. Until the economy rebounds, the salary structure of baseball has changed making Rowand and his 2 great years (and 5 average years) highly overpaid.

Bob

infohawk
04-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Carlos Quentin will move to Right Field next year if the Sox don't pickup
Dye's option. Also If Fields keeps up playing a good 3rd Base, Dayan is going to have to move to LF or the Sox can make a run at Matt Holliday next year. The White Sox have over 40 Million Dollars coming off the books next year. Aaron Rowand is not worth it and people need to move on.
I'm just saying that any interest that KW has in Rowand may go beyond just whether he can help us this year. I would agree that there may be better options on the free agent market if the Sox can sign a veteran to a short-term contract until someone like Jordan Danks is ready.

Dayan seems like a logical candidate to eventually replace Thome at DH. It doesn't seem like Dayan is really beyond passable at any position. If he's going to be a decent outfielder, he's got to keep his weight down. I'm imagining Big Papi or Miguel Cabrera in the outfield! :o: They could make Dayan a first baseman, but there's a chance that Tyler Flowers could end up at first rather than at catcher. The Sox project him as an MLB catcher, but some scouts evidently believe his body and skills make him better suited for first base.

drewcifer
04-15-2009, 10:02 PM
:bandance:No thank you. Not for 12 mill per year. I didn't want to sign him when he was an FA for that money and I don't want him now for that money. Until the economy rebounds, the salary structure of baseball has changed making Rowand and his 2 great years (and 5 average years) highly overpaid.

Bob

I totally agree with this post. San Francisco is the poster child for reactive roster moves; a poisonous contributor to the massive overvaluation that's happened in baseball.

Brian Sabean is hands down the biggest moron that ever held a GM position, IMO. I say that because he manages a team that plays in what has been an extremely weak division, has tons of $, seems to be able to develop talent but trades it away on old/overhype and is a total loser.

Oh, Twins lose! :bandance:

TomBradley72
04-15-2009, 11:06 PM
I think Cowley's point was that KW wouldn't even consider it unless he was only on the hook for 50% of the contract...I'd take Rowand for $6M/yr. If it was under those circumstances, I'd like the move.

We'd have an upgrade at CF for the short term, and in the event we somehow find a better CF, he can take over LF after Dye has moved on and Quentin has moved to RF. We have zero viable options in CF, and nothing in the minors. I can't think of a higher quality alternative that would come available outside the organization.

The Central Division is very winnable this year, this upgrade over Wise/Anderson/Owens/Podsednik (after the Mackowiak/Erstad/Griffey/ Swisher alternatives we've enjoyed the past few years) would give us a big boost.

drewcifer
04-15-2009, 11:12 PM
I think Cowley's point was that KW wouldn't even consider it unless he was only on the hook for 50% of the contract...I'd take Rowand for $6M/yr. If it was under those circumstances, I'd like the move.

We'd have an upgrade at CF for the short term, and in the event we somehow find a better CF, he can take over LF after Dye has moved on and Quentin has moved to RF. We have zero viable options in CF, and nothing in the minors. I can't think of a higher quality alternative that would come available outside the organization.

The Central Division is very winnable this year, this upgrade over Wise/Anderson/Owens/Podsednik (after the Mackowiak/Erstad/Griffey/ Swisher alternatives we've enjoyed the past few years) would give us a big boost.

12/12/07: Signed five-year, $60 million contract w/full NTC 2008, limited NTC 2009-12 ($8 million signing bonus): 2009: $8 million, 2010: $12 million, 2011: $12 million, 2012: $12 million, 2013: Free Agent

Source: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=Mlb&id=3284

That is $44M for Aaron Rowand. I posted in another thread how much Sabean is an idiot and ****s up the market for everyone because of it. Thanks for exclamating the point.

Yes, you're plan is great and makes sense but HE HAS A CONTRACT THAT MAKES THAT IMPOSSIBLE.

Plus, I think he sucks anyway.

A. Cavatica
04-15-2009, 11:18 PM
KW loves to get players at a discount. Say he got the Giants to eat $3M outright and take MacDougal too. That might be enough.

drewcifer
04-15-2009, 11:20 PM
I had to just edit my post.. $44M. Not $32M.

No goddamn way.

sunofgold
04-16-2009, 12:13 AM
I don't think that the White Sox want to take on salary. Doesn't look like the Giants have a first baseman.

I know Konerko is looking good right now, but sell high, right? Trade Konerko for Rowand. Contracts are in the same range.

Open up first base for Viciedo.

JB98
04-16-2009, 12:35 AM
I don't think that the White Sox want to take on salary. Doesn't look like the Giants have a first baseman.

I know Konerko is looking good right now, but sell high, right? Trade Konerko for Rowand. Contracts are in the same range.

Open up first base for Viciedo.

Konerko > Rowand, and putting Viciedo at first base is not something you do unless you are rebuilding.

sunofgold
04-16-2009, 01:17 AM
Have to get Viciedo into the mix soon. We are paying him this year. Fields looks decent at third. Where are you going to put Viciedo? Really has a body for 1B.

Viciedo + Rowand > Konerko + BA/Wise/Owens

Craig Grebeck
04-16-2009, 01:41 AM
Have to get Viciedo into the mix soon. We are paying him this year. Fields looks decent at third. Where are you going to put Viciedo? Really has a body for 1B.

Well that's really ****ing stupid. You don't have to play Viciedo for the arbitrary reason you cited.

sullythered
04-16-2009, 03:25 AM
Eh, if we could get him for half what he's getting paid, or a little more and unload Macdougal, it would be a great move.

Honestly, the pretentious eye rolling over "Aaron Rowand love" has gotten WAY more annoying than the actual Aaron Rowand love ever was.

It'd be good to have him back.

oeo
04-16-2009, 03:42 AM
Honestly, the pretentious eye rolling over "Aaron Rowand love" has gotten WAY more annoying than the actual Aaron Rowand love ever was.

That's been the case since about August of 2006.

cws05champ
04-16-2009, 08:22 AM

How do you know Viciedo will be any good this soon in the majors? You don't. And how many runs do you think it will cost us on defense having Dayan at 1B instead of an experienced guy that picks alot of balls out of the dirt(especially with Fields at 3B).

It doesn't matter how much we are paying Dayan this year...it is irrelevant as to the play on the field.

jabrch
04-16-2009, 09:01 AM

Viciedo is 19 with no minor league experience. Let's let him play a full season in the minors, work on strength and conditioning, and hope to see him next year. I don't think there is any reason to rush him into a spot where we have no major need.

jabrch
04-16-2009, 09:04 AM

The Giants like Ishikawa. They are going to be patient with him and give him more time than our fans seem willing to give whomever is in CF.

Britt Burns
04-16-2009, 09:14 AM
But where would Carl Crawford play? (That thread re-emerging soon)

Sargeant79
04-16-2009, 09:22 AM
12/12/07: Signed five-year, $60 million contract w/full NTC 2008, limited NTC 2009-12 ($8 million signing bonus): 2009: $8 million, 2010: $12 million, 2011: $12 million, 2012: $12 million, 2013: Free Agent

Source: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=Mlb&id=3284

That is $44M for Aaron Rowand. I posted in another thread how much Sabean is an idiot and ****s up the market for everyone because of it. Thanks for exclamating the point.

Yes, you're plan is great and makes sense but HE HAS A CONTRACT THAT MAKES THAT IMPOSSIBLE.

Plus, I think he sucks anyway.

But that's not what TomBradley's post that you quoted was saying.

If the Giants are offering Rowand at $44 million for the next 4 years, Kenny Williams shouldn't bother answering the phone. If the Giants are offering Rowand at $20-25 million for the next 4 years, there are several good reasons to at least listen.

I'm not sold on him as a great long term solution, even at that money, but you could make a good argument for why it would be a decent idea if the Giants were picking up half the contract. As others have said, he would be an upgrade over any of our current options and he is versatile enough to where he can be switched to probably any outfield spot depending on how the roster shakes out over the next few years.

esbrechtel
04-16-2009, 09:36 AM
anyone who says Viciedo should play 1st this season is asking for the sox to lead the majors in errors...

While paulie may not have the best range he picks probably 90 percent of the bad throws thrown to him. I dont think that Dayan has the experience at 1st to do it.

Also, can we quit the trade Paulie threads. I am more sick of those than any CF thread....

Dibbs
04-16-2009, 09:50 AM
We could use him now more than ever. Do it, do it. (if Giants pay some salary)

cards press box
04-16-2009, 11:03 AM
The item on mlb traderumors doesn't say what the Giants are looking for in return if they trade Aaron Rowand. If the Giants pay half his remaining salary, then the Sox should consider making a deal, provided that the Giants' asking price in terms of players is reasonable. Rowand doesn't solve the leadoff problem but: (a) he is still a good ballplayer, (b) upon his arrival, he would be the best CF the Sox have on the major league roster and (c) he could provide a spark for this team.

I know that in the context of baseball, many people tend to discount the value of intangibles, motivation and leadership. I disagree. The Sox players would rally around a player like Rowand and I don't see how that could be a bad thing.

Chez
04-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Y'all realize that the Giants would actually want something more than MacDougal in return for Rowand. Start with two of our top prospects (e.g. Poreda, Beckham, Flowers, Viciendo). This deal just ain't gonna happen.

Tragg
04-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Offense isn't the problem with this team. Defense and pitching are the vulnerabilities. and the offensive weakness, leadoff, isn't something that Rowand really helps.
If the giants want to give him to us, fine, but I certainly wouldn't send any legitimate young talent for him. A top prospect would be a joke.

Risk
04-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Not this **** again.:rolleyes:

Risk

southside rocks
04-16-2009, 12:38 PM
I would be delighted to see Rowand back in CF for the Sox, and no, I haven't been pining for him since he left. (I am having a hard time adjusting to the sight of Joe Crede with "TWINS" across his uni, but that's another thread.)

Watching the struggles of one mediocre center-fielder after another, from 2006 right up through yesterday's game, causes me to embrace the idea of Rowand back with the Sox.

AZChiSoxFan
04-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Brian Sabean is hands down the biggest moron that ever held a GM position, IMO.

:hawk "Whew, I always thought I was."

Jjav829
04-16-2009, 06:47 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=6179&d=1239196008

(thanks, Jjav)

No problem. :D:

We need to get that tagged. : facepalm :

Lip Man 1
04-17-2009, 11:30 AM
Interesting tidbit in today's Sun-Times:

"Rumor has the Sox trying to acquire San Francisco Giants outfielder and former Sox hero Aaron Rowand, but the Giants would have to pay a big chunk of the $44million left on Rowand's contract."

I can't see this happening now (to early in the season) but if the Giants continue to tank...maybe in another month they might want to move him.

I'd be interested to know where this info is coming from.

Lip

mccoydp
04-17-2009, 12:42 PM
If this move happens, the WSI servers will spontaneously combust. :redneck

Thome25
04-17-2009, 12:48 PM
:facepalm:.................I'm going to sue the OP because they didn't get expressed written consent from me when using "Thome25" in the back half of their username.

voodoochile
04-17-2009, 01:18 PM
Honestly, what would you trade and how much would he be worth salarywise?

If the Giants would pick up close to half his salary, I'd take him back in an instant. So what would get the trade done at that point in time?

Marquez and two more players? They might take BA just because they need a CF, but obviously he wouldn't be the central piece to the trade.

I know there are some resident trade gurus around these parts, what would get this done with the Giants eating half the salary?

Tragg
04-17-2009, 01:39 PM
2 realities about the today's market: high salaries are tough to move; the value of prospects has skyrocketed.

So even if the Giant's pick up half of Rowand's salary, it's still a lot of salary for the Sox to pay for Rowand.
Further, Rowand really isn't that good. You can't give a lot of talent to bring in a still expensive player who isn't that good. What did we get for Swisher? A utility infielder and a so-so pitching prospect (we got another prospect, but we gave up another too). That's about the price we should pay for Rowand.
I'd rather the Sox keep their eyes open for a bargain (like Josh Andereson was!) instead of piling on to get Rowand or the like.

voodoochile
04-17-2009, 01:41 PM
2 realities about the today's market: high salaries are tough to move; the value of prospects has skyrocketed.

So even if the Giant's pick up half of Rowand's salary, it's still a lot of salary for the Sox to pay for Rowand.
Further, Rowand really isn't that good. You can't give a lot of talent to bring in a still expensive player who isn't that good.
I'd rather the Sox keep their eyes open for a bargain (like Josh Andereson was!) instead of piling on to get Rowand or the like.

.800 OPS, .343 OBP, decent speed and 4 years of not having to worry about CF - I'd say that's worth $6M/year. If Danks develops, Rowand can move to RF or LF.

Tragg
04-17-2009, 01:45 PM
.800 OPS, .343 OBP, decent speed and 4 years of not having to worry about CF - I'd say that's worth $6M/year. If Danks develops, Rowand can move to RF or LF. 3 of the last 4 years his ops has been below .750. It's okay -but it's not that good. Swisher's OPS last year was .743.

For the price we got for Swisher, fine. But that was a utility infielder and a so-so prospect. Anderson and Marquez.

voodoochile
04-17-2009, 01:49 PM
3 of the last 4 years his ops has been below .750. It's okay -but it's not that good. Swisher's OPS last year was .743.

For the price we got for Swisher, fine. But that was a utility infielder and a so-so prospect. Anderson and Marquez.

Swisher was signed for a lot less. To get Rowand at that price or something similar they'd have to throw in a lot more talent.

Tragg
04-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Swisher was signed for a lot less. To get Rowand at that price or something similar they'd have to throw in a lot more talent.
If they're the equivalent player (and they pretty much are) and if we end up paying Rowand about what we would have paid Swisher, we should absolutely not have to throw in a lot more talent. We don't pay for the Giant's bad financial deal. The Giants couldn't give Rowand and his salary away right now. That they eat 1/2 of that salary is a given and does not warrant additional talent.

The Sox have done too much zigging and zagging. They give send 3 of the top 5 prospects for Swisher, then dump him for spare parts after 1 year. Now they're talking about getting someone on the level of Swisher, but we'll have to pay a premium price?
Bad, bad.

On a side note, had they not dumped Sweeney in the Swisher deal after a 2 week trial we wouldn't be in this mess.

slavko
04-17-2009, 02:25 PM
If they're the equivalent player (and they pretty much are) and if we end up paying Rowand about what we would have paid Swisher, we should absolutely not have to throw in a lot more talent. We don't pay for the Giant's bad financial deal. The Giants couldn't give Rowand and his salary away right now. That they eat 1/2 of that salary is a given and does not warrant additional talent.

The Sox have done too much zigging and zagging. They give send 3 of the top 5 prospects for Swisher, then dump him for spare parts after 1 year. Now they're talking about getting someone on the level of Swisher, but we'll have to pay a premium price?
Bad, bad.

On a side note, had they not dumped Sweeney in the Swisher deal after a 2 week trial we wouldn't be in this mess.

You're right, but....... In the trading business you have to look forward, not back. If he could lead off......but he can't.

sneuert
04-18-2009, 03:58 PM
anyone else catch this in the sun times?

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2009/04/rumor_to_ponder.html

DonnieDarko
04-18-2009, 04:02 PM
I remember seeing this posted a few days back. However, Rowand's salary is too ****ing huge for the Sox to take on, and the only way that they'll take him is if the Giants eat a large (75%+) portion of it.

As things are the way they are now, I do want to see him back, but...sadly, I just don't see it happening.

Lip Man 1
04-18-2009, 04:17 PM
For what it's worth, I contacted one of the beat writers and specifically asked them about this issue.

They said that they spoke to Sabean's assistant who said the Giants aren't looking at any specific Sox players right now and that the Sox have not contacted the Giants to ask about Rowand.

The beat writer did say that the heat is on everyone with the Giants now that they have a new general partner and changes could be happening if they don't start winning games, plus the franchise has to pay 20 million per year on Pac Bell for the next few years so unloading Rowand's salary even if they had to pay some of it, would help the bottom line.

Put this one into the "maybe" file if the Giants continue to lose and the Sox options in center continue to misfire.

Lip

Jaffar
04-18-2009, 08:23 PM
For what it's worth, I contacted one of the beat writers and specifically asked them about this issue.

They said that they spoke to Sabean's assistant who said the Giants aren't looking at any specific Sox players right now and that the Sox have not contacted the Giants to ask about Rowand.

The beat writer did say that the heat is on everyone with the Giants now that they have a new general partner and changes could be happening if they don't start winning games, plus the franchise has to pay 20 million per year on Pac Bell for the next few years so unloading Rowand's salary even if they had to pay some of it, would help the bottom line.

Put this one into the "maybe" file if the Giants continue to lose and the Sox options in center continue to misfire.

Lip

So what you're saying is there is a chance!?! :redneck

chisox77
04-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Interesting tidbit in today's Sun-Times:

"Rumor has the Sox trying to acquire San Francisco Giants outfielder and former Sox hero Aaron Rowand, but the Giants would have to pay a big chunk of the $44million left on Rowand's contract."

I can't see this happening now (to early in the season) but if the Giants continue to tank...maybe in another month they might want to move him.

I'd be interested to know where this info is coming from.

Lip

That information is coming from Aaron Rowand. Start padding the outfield walls even more!

SOXBOY
04-19-2009, 05:40 PM
No Thanks