PDA

View Full Version : Petition for Ron Santo statue outside Wrigley

thomas35forever
04-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Garry Meier has apparently started this. The question is, does Ron deserve a statue?
http://www.wgnradio.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=50997&Itemid=682

CubKilla
04-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Garry Meier has apparently started this. The question is, does Ron deserve a statue?
http://www.wgnradio.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=50997&Itemid=682

No

LITTLE NELL
04-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Good place for pigeon droppings.

grenda12
04-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Nope!

house215
04-15-2009, 07:16 PM
He sure is hell deserves one over Harry Caray. The fact that Harry Caray, a broadcaster who only spent a small time of his broadcasting career, got the first statue at Wrigley says a lot about the organization as a whole. And didn't they just retired Maddux's number too? Pretty sad when a team has to resort to retiring numbers of players who's creditinals are almost completely with another team or build statues of broadcasters rather than players.

BleacherBandit
04-15-2009, 07:35 PM
He sure is hell deserves one over Harry Caray. The fact that Harry Caray, a broadcaster who only spent a small time of his broadcasting career, got the first statue at Wrigley says a lot about the organization as a whole. And didn't they just retired Maddux's number too? Pretty sad when a team has to resort to retiring numbers of players who's creditinals are almost completely with another team or build statues of broadcasters rather than players.

Yeah, but he had some pretty good seasons with the Cubs, including a Cy Young season. You could also argue that the Sox retired Fisk's number while he is largely regarded a Red Sox player first.

SoxGirl4Life
04-15-2009, 07:38 PM
I don't really care

EnglishChiSox
04-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Yeah, but he had some pretty good seasons with the Cubs, including a Cy Young season. You could also argue that the Sox retired Fisk's number while he is largely regarded a Red Sox player first.

Fisk had more hits, ab, games, pa, runs, hr, 2b, rbi and total bases with The White Sox, as well as playing for 2 more seasons than with The Red Sox. It's not the same for Maddux where he had more wins, a better ERA and won 3 of his Cy Youngs with The Braves.

areilly
04-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Combine those pretty good years he had with the Cubs with the Northsiders' inexplicable embracing of Santo as a broadcaster and I'd say sure.

But hell, it's their landfill. I don't care what kind of garbage they put in it.

getonbckthr
04-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Ron Santo may be the most over-rated player in baseball history. Well maybe 2nd to Aaron Rowand.

WSox597
04-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Combine those pretty good years he had with the Cubs with the Northsiders' inexplicable embracing of Santo as a broadcaster and I'd say sure.

But hell, it's their landfill. I don't care what kind of garbage they put in it.

Ha, well said. I'll have to borrow that one for my cubbie friends. :D:

And if they do the Santo statue, they need to put an electronic voice going "Ohhh, noooo!" every couple of minutes. That would be perfect.

slavko
04-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Put the Fisk and the Santo thoughts together and we could have a statue for Ronnie ourselves. He did spend a glorious year here. I do think we're missing a bet by not honoring Brickhouse more. The door is wide open.

Woofer
04-15-2009, 10:22 PM
I used to like Garry, I guess he must really be sucking up to WGN. I am shocked, shocked that Santo would lend his support to this cause.

drewcifer
04-15-2009, 10:26 PM
I don't really care

Yeah, why is this here? Who gives a ****?

ChiSoxFan81
04-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Sure, then they will have another place to hang a dead goat.

Viva Medias B's
04-15-2009, 10:36 PM
I think Billy Williams, Ferguson Jenkins, and Ryne Sandberg deserve statues before Ron Santo. Oh, and where is the Jack Brickhouse statue going to be installed at Wrigley?

Hitmen77
04-16-2009, 08:26 AM
I used to like Garry, I guess he must really be sucking up to WGN. I am shocked, shocked that Santo would lend his support to this cause.

How does this guy keep getting a prime radio gig? He's only been good as a sidekick and both times he had a successful partnership it ended very badly.

Now that he's on WGN i'm sure he'll get good ratings because for some inexplicable reason, there are many people in Chicago who just listen to WGN Radio no matter who they stick in front of the mike.

....oh and a Santo statue is a stupid idea, but this is the Cubs we're talking about.

Dibbs
04-16-2009, 08:39 AM

No, that is a bad comparison.

spawn
04-16-2009, 08:39 AM
I don't really care

What they said.

chisox77
04-16-2009, 09:11 AM
Sure, a Ron Santo statue would be a good idea for the Cubs - included with his White Sox uniform (circa 1974).

moochpuppy
04-16-2009, 10:14 AM
and where is the Jack Brickhouse statue going to be installed at Wrigley?

Hey...Hey!!!

dwalteroo
04-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Maybe they can do a statue of Kerry Wood's empty locker. That would look good in bronze.

OldRomanPizza
04-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Maybe they can do a statue of Kerry Wood's empty locker. That would look good in bronze.

:redneck:redneck Best response so far!

I ultimately, do not care, though I do think of it as merely a place for them to hang another goat and for non-Cubs fans to walk by and go "OH NOOOO!!"

Mendoza Line
04-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Meh, let them build it. They rely a great deal on revisionist history to celebrate things that weren't nearly as impressive as they'd like you to think. For example: Kerry Wood and Santo are hall of famers worthy of permanent remembrance, Sammy Sosa never existed, Wrigley Field has always been sold out since the dawn of time, etc. They tell their own brand of "truth" to those who don't know any better.

ode to veeck
04-16-2009, 03:26 PM
I think Billy Williams, Ferguson Jenkins, and Ryne Sandberg deserve statues before Ron Santo. Oh, and where is the Jack Brickhouse statue going to be installed at Wrigley?

If there's not one for Mr Cub, Ernie Banks, before all else then its a sham. Garry Meier has always been clueless.

ChiSoxFan81
04-16-2009, 03:30 PM
If there's not one for Mr Cub, Ernie Banks, before all else then its a sham. Garry Meier has always been clueless.

Ernie got his last year, with the obligatory missing apostophe in "Lets play two"

sunofgold
04-16-2009, 03:49 PM
White Sox put up statues commemorating World Series championships.

Cubs put up statues commemorating their broadcasters.

OK!

spawn
04-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Truer words were never spoken. You would think they would honor an actual Hall of Famer then someone whining about not getting in. But as I said earlier, it doesn't affect me in the least.

TDog
04-16-2009, 04:21 PM
I don't really care

I would concur. I came to this thread because the title made for a good teaser. I don't plan to visit Wrigley Field. (The only way I would go to Wrigley Field, were I even in the Chicago area, would be to attempt to catch a visiting home run, not throw it back and sue the Cubs for not protecting me from the pummeling I would receive for obeying the law.) What the Cubs do to enhance their park is not my concern.

That being said, I don't think there is anything inappropriate at all in the Cubs honoring Ron Santo with a statue at Wrigley Field. It isn't like there is a petition for the to put a Ron Santo statue in Grant Park.

spawn
04-16-2009, 04:27 PM
That being said, I don't think there is anything inappropriate at all in the Cubs honoring Ron Santo with a statue at Wrigley Field. It isn't like there is a petition for the to put a Ron Santo statue in Grant Park.
Not yet...but it's coming...:tongue:

TDog
04-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Not yet...but it's coming...:tongue:

And that would be inapproriate. I actually saw a Jack Brickhouse statue when I was in Chicago last summer. It wasn't at Wrigley Field, which I didn't see, but I don't see a need for another one in Chicago.

If the Cubs build a statue to Ron Santo at Wrigley, maybe there won't be a petition to put one in Grant Park.

twentywontowin
04-16-2009, 05:05 PM
How is the statue going to stay upright on its own?

russ99
04-16-2009, 06:54 PM
How is the statue going to stay upright on its own?

Zing! That's bordering on poor taste, but I like it. :D:

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-17-2009, 07:22 AM
AFAIC, let them put statues up for everyone in the organization - nothing like copying a great idea from another ballpark in town. Hell, the way they play in October, they got statues in the batter's boxes as it is.

Smokey Burg
04-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Sure. Give him a statue. After all, he was (is?) a borderline HOFer, he and the cubs almost made it to the WS once. Those are considerable accomplishments. I suggest one of the following poses:

1) At bat, but looking at the catcher's mitt while the umpire yells "strike three".

2) In the air, clicking his heels and the base of the statue is inscribed with "The Cubs will shine in 69"

3) Holding his HOF plague.

Also, scale his statue similar to the Stonehenge from "Spinal Tap". Finally place his statue somewhwere in front of George Mitterwald's and Bump Will's but not obscuring Keith Moreland's or Rick Sutcliffe's