PDA

View Full Version : Love the new banner on the home page

Sox
04-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Just saying......:bandance:

Red Barchetta
04-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Me too! I am soooooo ready for a early 70s/Chuck Tanner-Dick Allen-Bill Melton era retro uniform day/series.

I asked Brooks this question directly and he indicated that the SOX need to get any special uniform/turn back the clock requests in at least two seasons prior, so hopefully this one is on the list. I would love to see the road blues during a Sox-Cubs series. :cool:

WhiteSox5187
04-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Me too! I am soooooo ready for a early 70s/Chuck Tanner-Dick Allen-Bill Melton era retro uniform day/series.

I asked Brooks this question directly and he indicated that the SOX need to get any special uniform/turn back the clock requests in at least two seasons prior, so hopefully this one is on the list. I would love to see the road blues during a Sox-Cubs series. :cool:
I don't understand why everyone loves those uniforms yet those same folks hate the '83 ones. To me it makes no sense for the White Sox to have RED as the dominant color.

HomeFish
04-14-2009, 03:08 PM
To me it makes no sense for the White Sox to have RED as the dominant color.

I'm 100% with you.

doublem23
04-14-2009, 03:19 PM
I don't understand why everyone loves those uniforms yet those same folks hate the '83 ones. To me it makes no sense for the White Sox to have RED as the dominant color.

I don't like the 70's style jerseys much either, but I can say the reason I slightly prefer them to the 80's pajamas is that I hate pullovers. So much.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-14-2009, 03:25 PM

I wouldn't count on seeing those uniforms. I've heard Brooks say that they are only going to honor teams that won something. As much as people love the '77 South Side Hitmen you are never going to see those uni's either.

Being that this is the 50th anniversary of the Go-Go Sox, anyone know if they're bringing those back?

Red Barchetta
04-14-2009, 03:29 PM

It's not so much the color, more what the uniform represented. I was pretty young and it was about this time that I made the choice of following the SOX or the Cubs as they were both on WGN. Color TV broadcasts were becoming common (hard to believe), so many teams switched to more colorful uniforms including road blues vs. gray.

I also liked the 83' uniforms at the time, however now they look more like softball uniforms. Just like the 70s man-perms and the 80s mullets, they were cool at the time. :D:

Nellie_Fox
04-14-2009, 03:37 PM
I don't understand why everyone loves those uniforms yet those same folks hate the '83 ones. To me it makes no sense for the White Sox to have RED as the dominant color.Because the red uniforms at least looked like baseball uniforms. The '83 uniform is a horrible example of the garish softball uniforms of the era, they were introduced just when other teams were getting rid of that kind, and the hats looked like propeller beanies.

jamokes
04-14-2009, 04:35 PM
The 70's era style is great if that's when you were starting out as a big Sox fan. Bring back Dick Allen and Jim Kaat!

Lip Man 1
04-14-2009, 04:55 PM
From Brooks Boyer's Interview with WSI:

ML: “Throwback” games and weekends are very popular around major league baseball. Last year the Sox had the chance to honor the 1967, 1972 and 1977 clubs on their 40th, 35th and 30th anniversaries respectively, yet you chose to go in a different direction. This isn’t a criticism but I’m wondering why you didn’t?

BB: “That’s a very fair question. With no disrespect to those teams, some of the best loved in Sox history, they didn’t get to the World Series. To some fans, 1977 for example, just isn’t relevant. We honored the 1959 team with a weekend because they got to the World Series. A few years ago we honored the 20th anniversary of the 1983 team because they were special to a large number of our fans. We’re going to do something again this season on the 25th anniversary but it won’t be as involved. We’ll have a game where we wear the 1983 style uniforms. We’ll also have our ‘halfway to St. Patrick’s Day,’ where we wear the green uniforms and we’ve got the camouflage jerseys on July 4th. We don’t want this to become gimmicky, we want to do things that are relevant to our current fans. (Author’s Note: It was at this point that I tried to sell Brooks on the idea of the red pinstriped era, aka Dick Allen and how special that was to my generation!)

Lip

Red Barchetta
04-14-2009, 05:08 PM
From Brooks Boyer's Interview with WSI:

ML: “Throwback” games and weekends are very popular around major league baseball. Last year the Sox had the chance to honor the 1967, 1972 and 1977 clubs on their 40th, 35th and 30th anniversaries respectively, yet you chose to go in a different direction. This isn’t a criticism but I’m wondering why you didn’t?

BB: “That’s a very fair question. With no disrespect to those teams, some of the best loved in Sox history, they didn’t get to the World Series. To some fans, 1977 for example, just isn’t relevant. We honored the 1959 team with a weekend because they got to the World Series. A few years ago we honored the 20th anniversary of the 1983 team because they were special to a large number of our fans. We’re going to do something again this season on the 25th anniversary but it won’t be as involved. We’ll have a game where we wear the 1983 style uniforms. We’ll also have our ‘halfway to St. Patrick’s Day,’ where we wear the green uniforms and we’ve got the camouflage jerseys on July 4th. We don’t want this to become gimmicky, we want to do things that are relevant to our current fans. (Author’s Note: It was at this point that I tried to sell Brooks on the idea of the red pinstriped era, aka Dick Allen and how special that was to my generation!)

Lip

Thanks for the post! With all due respect to Brooks and his explanation, the 1983 team did not make it to the World Series either. I agree they had a great season, however they only won a division title.

I would hate to think the SOX are only considering teams with World Series wins or appearances. That would severely limit the throwback selection.

I would love to see them combine the Disco 70s promotion with the Oscar Gamble era uniforms (minus the shorts :D:). This is about the fans and honoring the history of the franchise.

I agree that these type of events should be limited and we certainly don't want to the parade the players like clowns. I like that they have honored the Negro Leagues and the military, however that does not have relevance to World Series appearances either, so the choice to honor a particular team/year is arbitrary.

I really think the SOX and Cubs blow a golden opportunity to embrace the throwback concept where they could pick any particular year and wear those uniforms both home and away during the inter-league series.

WhiteSox5187
04-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Because the red uniforms at least looked like baseball uniforms. The '83 uniform is a horrible example of the garish softball uniforms of the era, they were introduced just when other teams were getting rid of that kind, and the hats looked like propeller beanies.
I don't know where you get the idea that the uniforms were being brought in as the garish softball style unis were being phased out (btw, I love those uniforms, brings back fond memories of younger days) - in '83 the Orioles wore that beanie style hat, the Pirates still had the bumble bee combo, the Tequilla sunrise uni was still being worn in Houston. I think every team but the Red Sox and Yankees had a pull over at that point and a ton of teams had those multi colored hats.

TommyJohn
04-14-2009, 07:32 PM

The White Sox at that point were in the copycat business-In 1967 and 1968, the Red Sox and Tigers won the AL pennant, so in 1969 the White Sox trotted out uniforms that were a rip on that design (I like them anyway and have a replica-go figure) and changed the shade of blue to match the Cubs. Then in 1970 the Cincinnati "Big Red Machine" tore up the National League (and the Cardinals won in 1967 and 68) so in 1971 the White Sox trotted out in red uniforms. I don't think that was a coincidence.

BleacherBandit
04-14-2009, 07:43 PM
I wouldn't mind throwback games if the players didn't butcher the wearing style. If you're going to wear a 1959 White Sox jersey, wear the stirrups and high socks too. Is that too much to ask? It's like going half-way otherwise.

soxpride724
04-14-2009, 08:25 PM
The 70's home red pinstripes are one of the best Sox jerseys IMO.

Awesome welcome banner too.

WhiteSox5187
04-14-2009, 08:46 PM
I wouldn't mind throwback games if the players didn't butcher the wearing style. If you're going to wear a 1959 White Sox jersey, wear the stirrups and high socks too. Is that too much to ask? It's like going half-way otherwise.
stirrups and high pants should ALWAYS be worn, but alas, not everyone does it. However especially with throw backs they should be worn. To the Sox credit, I think most guys on the team did that in '05.