PDA

View Full Version : Nick Swisher is pitching right now!!

cws05champ
04-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Yanks getting spanked 15-5 by the Rays and they have Swish in there pitching!!!

EDIT: and just recorded a KO

DirtySox
04-13-2009, 09:39 PM
The hell?

getonbckthr
04-13-2009, 09:39 PM
He's got a strikeout.

ohthosechisox
04-13-2009, 09:41 PM
They've been showing live coverage of this inning on the MLB network. Hah.

EDIT: No runs allowed! Good job Swish!

thomas35forever
Holy ****. The Yanks got their asses handed to them tonight.

DirtySox
Why is he pitching exactly?

EnglishChiSox
04-13-2009, 09:42 PM
Gaaaaaaaaaas from Dirty thirty(three) there.

cws05champ
He just got through an inning, no ER and a K. Yanks announcers said he's been the most effective pitcher tonight...and they were serious.

SoxGirl4Life
Why is he pitching exactly?

lol.. didn't want to waste another pitcher in that blowout. He struck someone out.. lol no runs allowed.

That's freakin hilarious!

The Immigrant
04-13-2009, 09:43 PM
He looked better than MacDougal. He also hit a homerun in this game.

Sockinchisox
Maybe we should have started him instead of Vazquez in Game 1 last year.

Frankfan4life
Swisher doesn't look half-bad. :redneck I think that's a cool way to help diffuse the humiliation of a blow-out game.

Huisj
That was hilarious. Looked like he blew some 79 mph heat right by Kapler . . . errr, maybe that was Kapler blowing his bat by the slowball way early.

soxinem1
He's got a strikeout.

He whiffed Gabe Kapler and retired the side!!!

He's a LOOGY!!!!

DaveFeelsRight
Why is he pitching exactly?yankees are down 15-5. why waste another pitcher?

and see?!!? we could have used swisher in the bullpen!

WhiteSox5187
Is he the only Yankee pitcher not to give up a run? He might be.

WhiteSox5187
04-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Also this is back to back years we've had a former position player pitch for another team, last year Jamie Burke pitched for Seattle and Swisher for the Yankees tonight.

oeo
He whiffed Gabe Kapler and retired the side!!!

He's a LOOGY!!!!

And we were using Horacio Ramirez last year, why?

They just showed this on BBTN, pretty funny.

Also this is back to back years we've had a former position player pitch for another team, last year Jamie Burke pitched for Seattle and Swisher for the Yankees tonight.

Coop just bleeds through everyone.

EuroSox35
That was wild, I thought someone snuck a little something in my dinner for a second...it must not be fun to be Gabe Kapler right now, he's going to hear about this one for a while...

SoxGirl4Life
Good for him

LongLiveFisk
04-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Who'd want to strike out against Nick Swisher? :redface: :lol:

HomeFish
04-13-2009, 09:48 PM
You know, I bet he volunteered to do this too.

cws05champ
04-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Who knew... Coop' could've fixed him! :smile:

drewcifer
04-13-2009, 09:56 PM
NY front office will tell people they were targeting Swisher all along.

october23sp
04-13-2009, 10:03 PM
That's amazing.

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-13-2009, 10:08 PM
They've been showing live coverage of this inning on the MLB network. Hah.

EDIT: No runs allowed! Good job Swish!

I knew it was a mistake getting ride of him. He has better numbers than MacDougal. LOL.

illini81887
04-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Gabe Kapler should retire now. His rays teammates should give him crap about it all year

AJRoxMyWhiteSox
04-13-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm rather impressed that he threw 22 pitches, and 12 of them were strikes. If Kapler doesn't get crap for that all year, I'll be surprised.

HawkDJ
04-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Can't wait for this game to get archived on mlb.tv

Boondock Saint
04-13-2009, 10:37 PM
You have got to be ****ing kidding me.

Well, it's nice to see that he can still rack up strikeouts after leaving Chicago.

manders_01
04-13-2009, 10:46 PM
Can't wait for this game to get archived on mlb.tv

I just watched it - it's listed as live still.

Totally awesome!

Sockinchisox
04-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Nick just tweeted that his arm is killing him.

I bet it does haha.

SoXPriDe33
04-13-2009, 10:59 PM
After looking at strike 3 so much last year, Swish picked up some pitching tips.

BleacherBandit
04-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Funniest thing i've seen in a while. Go Swish!

The Dude
04-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Dirty 30, nice to hear he's doing well out of Ozzie's doghouse. Funny that he was the only Yankee pitcher to NOT give up a run. :tongue:

russ99
04-13-2009, 11:26 PM
WOW! The considerable legend of Dirty Thirty continues on...

I wonder if he slapped hands with a life-size cutout of himself or did the Capt. Morgan pose afterwards... :D: I miss that silly garbage.

TDog
04-13-2009, 11:29 PM
The Yankees conceded and didn't want to work another pitcher tonight. Often position players who come into pitch with their team down get through an inning without giving up a run. The oppposing hitter has no idea what to expect (although Larry Biitner gave up six runs in finishing a miserable Cubs loss in 1977 and Jose Canseco had a miserable inning, giving up three runs, for the Rangers in 1993). Ted Williams came in to pitch the last two innings of a 1940 blowout loss in the first game of an August doubleheader. He got through the first inning, striking out Rudy York, but gave up a run in the ninth. Outfielder/catcher Wayne Nordhagen came in to pitch in two games for the White Sox in 1979 and struck out a couple of hitters.

Throwing a shutout inning as a lark in a blowout game doesn't mean you could be a reliever. It certainly doesn't mean you should start. It doesn't even mean you're better than MacDougal, who pitched two shutout innings and struck out three against the Twins on Saturday.

drewcifer
04-13-2009, 11:35 PM
The Yankees conceded and didn't want to work another pitcher tonight. Often position players who come into pitch with their team down get through an inning without giving up a run. The oppposing hitter has no idea what to expect (although Larry Biitner gave up six runs in finishing a miserable Cubs loss in 1977 and Jose Canseco had a miserable inning, giving up three runs, for the Rangers in 1993). Ted Williams came in to pitch the last two innings of a 1940 blowout loss in the first game of an August doubleheader. He got through the first inning, striking out Rudy York, but gave up a run in the ninth. Outfielder/catcher Wayne Nordhagen came in to pitch in two games for the White Sox in 1979 and struck out a couple of hitters.

Throwing a shutout inning as a lark in a blowout game doesn't mean you could be a reliever. It certainly doesn't mean you should start. It doesn't even mean you're better than MacDougal, who pitched two shutout innings and struck out three against the Twins on Saturday.

That was Tampas home opener. They got pwned, and bad. And it's like they're trying to save face (fans) throwing out the quirky/talented guy that they never even had interest in.... save face.

I hope the Yankees never win a game again. I thought it was pathetic to watch a team that spends nearly $100M more than anyone else resort to that on 4/13.

I hope they lose every game they ever play again. Won't happen, but that's my wish.

HawkDJ
04-13-2009, 11:41 PM

I seriously doubt people really think Nick Swisher is a better pitcher than Mike MacDougal, as god awful as he is.

kevingrt
04-14-2009, 07:32 AM
I seriously doubt people really think Nick Swisher is a better pitcher than Mike MacDougal, as god awful as he is.

MacDougal has better stuff but Swisher is probably more consistent. And the sad part is that is probably true.

Just saw highlights on ESPN and I thought it was pretty funny. Swish had a pretty big smile on his face when he was on the mound.

white sox bill
04-14-2009, 07:55 AM
I always thought he hit like a pitcher

ILuvThatDuck
04-14-2009, 07:58 AM
I can now use him on my fantasy team as a pitcher.

Madscout
04-14-2009, 08:33 AM
There's some **** going on on that team. Check the last out where the LF and the CF both call it, and no one budges. No smile, no pat on the butt, just a cold CF jogging in.

downstairs
04-14-2009, 08:43 AM
MacDougal has better stuff but Swisher is probably more consistent. And the sad part is that is probably true.

The fact that its even an argument of any sort says something about MacDougal.

Craig Grebeck
04-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Nick is tearing it up right now at the plate. Good for him.

HawkDJ
04-14-2009, 08:54 AM
The fact that its even an argument of any sort says something about MacDougal.

It says more about this message board. How long do you think Swisher would last in a real game throwing 75 mph fastballs down the middle?

Marqhead
04-14-2009, 08:57 AM
It says more about this message board. How long do you think Swisher would last in a real game throwing 75 mph fastballs down the middle?

No kidding.

Besides, the Rays were tired from all those homeruns they hit earlier.

cws05champ
04-14-2009, 09:40 AM
There's some **** going on on that team. Check the last out where the LF and the CF both call it, and no one budges. No smile, no pat on the butt, just a cold CF jogging in.
...and A-Rod isn't even around yet.

Chicken Dinner
04-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Funny ****!

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200904144135439&c_id=nyy

UofCSoxFan
04-14-2009, 09:54 AM
I have a feeling Swisher's act will wear thin in the stoic Yankees dugout if they keep losing. I'm positive the Yankees front office wasn't too pleased with Swisher cracking up walking off the mound and players in the dugout in hysterics....sure seeing Swisher pitch and K a guy is amusing from the fans' prospective, but I know few managers would be pleased to see their team giggling while getting their brains beat in by a division rival, especially the Yankees.

UofCSoxFan
04-14-2009, 09:56 AM

I'm hoping this whole conversation was tongue and cheek. Of course, who knows....I meanI remember having actual serious bar arguements last year with people saying Florida or USC could beat the Lions, so who knows.

C-Dawg
04-14-2009, 10:35 AM
Outfielder/catcher Wayne Nordhagen came in to pitch in two games for the White Sox in 1979 and struck out a couple of hitters.

I have vague memories of one of those games. Something like two strikeouts.... And two triples! It was, well, entertaining.

Eddo144
04-14-2009, 10:35 AM
I have a feeling Swisher's act will wear thin in the stoic Yankees dugout if they keep losing. I'm positive the Yankees front office wasn't too pleased with Swisher cracking up walking off the mound and players in the dugout in hysterics....sure seeing Swisher pitch and K a guy is amusing from the fans' prospective, but I know few managers would be pleased to see their team giggling while getting their brains beat in by a division rival, especially the Yankees.
Oh give me a break. This is the easiest argument to make when fans simply don't like someone. It happened all the time with Rex Grossman for example. He'd hang his head after an interception, and talking heads and fans would say, "We want our quarterback to shake those things off, not hang his head." Then, he'd appear in high spirits after throwing an interception, and the same talking heads and fans would say, "Oh, doesn't he care that he just threw an interception?"

fusionspill
04-14-2009, 10:52 AM
did frank thomas do this for the sox one time we ran out of pitchers or something? I remember hearing something back in the mid 90s I would say

southside rocks
04-14-2009, 10:59 AM

I agree. From the accounts I read, some of the team wasn't at all amused by Swisher's antics.

My own opinion: it was bush of Girardi to do that (put a position player on the mound). Just bush. And one of the many reasons why Joe Girardi will never be 1/10th the manager that Joe Torre is.

UofCSoxFan
04-14-2009, 11:06 AM
Oh give me a break. This is the easiest argument to make when fans simply don't like someone. It happened all the time with Rex Grossman for example. He'd hang his head after an interception, and talking heads and fans would say, "We want our quarterback to shake those things off, not hang his head." Then, he'd appear in high spirits after throwing an interception, and the same talking heads and fans would say, "Oh, doesn't he care that he just threw an interception?"

I don't think its the same thing at all. Laughing on the field while getting killed is far different than expecting a qb to throw his helmet down after every int. I never once had a problem with how Grossman handled himself. His play left something to be desired but he didn't pout and just because he didn't look visably pissed doesn't mean he didn't care. I get that. He never was laughing on the sideline after a pick. That simply did not happen.

I understand its a long season and there is the need to have fun. But while ON THE FIELD you should respect the game more than that. I don't know, maybe its me, but I couldn't see Michale Jordan laughing if his team was down 20 points no matter what happened.

southside rocks
04-14-2009, 11:12 AM
I understand its a long season and there is the need to have fun. But while ON THE FIELD you should respect the game more than that.

Jorge Posada agrees with you.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/14/sports/baseball/14yankees.html?_r=2

Eddo144
04-14-2009, 11:25 AM
I don't think its the same thing at all. Laughing on the field while getting killed is far different than expecting a qb to throw his helmet down after every int. I never once had a problem with how Grossman handled himself. His play left something to be desired but he didn't pout and just because he didn't look visably pissed doesn't mean he didn't care. I get that. He never was laughing on the sideline after a pick. That simply did not happen.

I understand its a long season and there is the need to have fun. But while ON THE FIELD you should respect the game more than that. I don't know, maybe its me, but I couldn't see Michale Jordan laughing if his team was down 20 points no matter what happened.
No no no, my point was that it's really easy and baseless for fans to criticize a player's body language. I don't care how you personally felt about Grossman, either, I was using him as an example.

Everyone loves players like Ken Griffey, Jr., and Brett Favre, who are "just having fun out there", but when another player looks happy despite losing, "his act will wear thin"? The fact that Swisher was pitching at all shows that the Yankees had practically given up on the game, so why can't the players then have a little fun?

Frontman
04-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Jorge Posada agrees with you.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/14/sports/baseball/14yankees.html?_r=2

For the love of baseball.....

I like Posada, but you need to be able to laugh at what you do at times. When things have gone wrong at my gig, I laugh it off. Take it completely serious all the time is the fastest way to have a heart attack. Sometimes, things don't go your way, you fix it and you move on.

That die-hard tough guy "respect the game" stuff is moronic. If Posada and the rest of the yahoos around baseball 'respected' the game; they would of dropped every name that did steroids and greenies and corked their bats and every other cheat that has been done. They need to stop that sanctimonious the game is sacred and deserves respect routine.

And Girardi wasn't bush league, that was actually smart baseball. Why waste any talent in the 'pen on a complete blowout? Just use what you can, get ready for tomorrow.

On a night when things go wrong for your team, you put it in the back pocket, dust yourself off, and get ready tomorrow.

southside rocks
04-14-2009, 11:42 AM
And Girardi wasn't bush league, that was actually smart baseball. Why waste any talent in the 'pen on a complete blowout? Just use what you can, get ready for tomorrow.

I think that the reason we don't see more position players used as pitchers in blowout games -- of which there are a fair number -- is because the vast majority of baseball managers and coaches don't share this philosophy.

Just saying. And yes, IMO Girardi's move was bush.

HawkDJ
04-14-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm hoping this whole conversation was tongue and cheek. Of course, who knows....I meanI remember having actual serious bar arguements last year with people saying Florida or USC could beat the Lions, so who knows.

Yeah that is basically the equivalent. I can't believe people think any NCAA team could beat any pro team.

BadBobbyJenks
04-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Nick is tearing it up right now at the plate. Good for him.

Yeah I am glad we dumped him for left overs.

Soxaredabest
04-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Hey kenny! MacDougal for Swisher?

goon
04-14-2009, 03:42 PM
Hey kenny! MacDougal for Swisher?

:tealtutor:

Soxaredabest
04-14-2009, 11:06 PM
:tealtutor:

haha right after I posted I knew that was gonna happen...opps

WhiteSox5187
04-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Yeah I am glad we dumped him for left overs.

At this time last year he was tearing it up at the plate.

captainclutch24
04-14-2009, 11:31 PM

The best college team would never beat the worst NFL team. The size of the players, the speed, and skill levels are completley different. The college team might have a few players that would be better than some players on the NFL team but as a whole no chance. A good chunk of USC and Floridas starters from this year won't even play pro ball.

InKennyWeTrust
04-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Near the end of yesterday's game, in which the Yankees were being blown out again, the crowd could noticibly be heard chanting WE WANT SWISHER!