PDA

View Full Version : Delwyn Young for CF?

getonbckthr
04-13-2009, 08:26 PM
The Dodgers waived him today. Could he help us in CF? I've heard his name alot but dont know much about him.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090413&content_id=4251438&vkey=news_la&fext=.jsp&c_id=la&partnerId=rss_la

SoxGirl4Life
04-13-2009, 08:27 PM
The Dodgers waived him today. Could he help us in CF? I've heard his name alot but dont know much about him.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090413&content_id=4251438&vkey=news_la&fext=.jsp&c_id=la&partnerId=rss_la

Is he related to Delmon ad Dmitri Young? I know, I could do the research, just lazy :tongue:

DaveFeelsRight
04-13-2009, 08:31 PM
"The outfielder had been on the disabled list, still recovering from offseason elbow surgery and serving an injury rehabilitation assignment at Triple-A Albuquerque."

no

Sockinchisox
04-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Delwyn Young is not a CF, he's a converted IF. I saw some games he played in right/left for the Dodgers last year and he sucked.

russ99
04-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Unrelated, as far as I know. His dad (Delwyn Sr.) was a player and a hitting coach for the Mariners.

In BBA he was the Dodgers #13th prospect in '07; #9 in '08.

The book on him in 2008 he's a decent hitter with good power (more 2B than HR) but that holes in the swing and free-swinging ways that hold him back to a 4th OF role. He also has below-average speed and an average arm.

The players they compare him to are Lenny Harris and Matt Stairs.

He had a really nice year in 2007 at AAA Las Vegas (which is a hitters park, as I recall) of .337/17/97/OBP:.384 /SLG:.571 with 54 doubles in 490 AB.

He fell flat with the Dodgers last year, going .246/1/7 in 126 AB.

So, slow plodding AAAA hitter with doubles power, I'd say pass...

SkeetSkeetAmit
04-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Try to trade for Reggie Willits. The Angels have way too many OF, he could be available. That's always been my pick for CF.

seventyseven
04-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Try to trade for Reggie Willits. The Angels have way too many OF, he could be available. That's always been my pick for CF.

Willits is probably available. He didn't make the Angels out of ST, and was only called up after the Adenhart accident.

UChicagoHP
04-13-2009, 10:13 PM

Agreed, guy was nails in '07 when he received consistent AB's. He is in pretty much the worst situation possible due the contracts of his fellow OF's in Anaheim, and the Angels know he has some value and will hold out for a decent offer. He would solidify the position immediately, and since he didn't produce in the pinch hitter role last season, the Angels may be willing to part with him.

DSpivack
04-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Sign Young to ChAAAArlotte, they could use the help.

palehozenychicty
04-13-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm cool off Mr. Young. Next.

Lip Man 1
04-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Chicago Tribune Live! this afternoon was speculating about Kenny having no choice but to try to get Juan Pierre or Gary Matthews Jr.

Lip

jdm2662
04-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Chicago Tribune Live! this afternoon was speculating about Kenny having no choice but to try to get Juan Pierre or Gary Matthews Jr.

Lip

You mean David Kaplin took more than 10 seconds away from his Cubs talk??

oeo
04-13-2009, 11:14 PM

Lip

Those guys are morons. I can't watch that show anymore. I tried earlier, and ended up turning it off once Dan Pompei opened his mouth.

soxfan43
04-13-2009, 11:55 PM

Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner. The angels have a ton of OFers, and Willits has some speed.

DrCrawdad
04-14-2009, 12:21 AM
You mean David Kaplin took more than 10 seconds away from his Cubs talk??

Kraplan is a jerk (other (http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d176/throb_lowe/asshat.jpg?t=1239682833) words could understandably come to mind...) Several weeks ago I heard him talking about riding the train with a couple Sox fans "who were missing teeth" and it didn't get any better when he started taking phone calls.

It's funny, when Sox fans spew slurs and stereotypes we get condemned and chastised and that's just here at WhiteSoxInteractive. How do guys get away with that on a purportedly family-friendly radio station?

sunofgold
04-14-2009, 01:28 AM
I don't think that he wants either one. Matthew Jr. was on hGh. Pierre is way past his prime and has wimpy throwing arm.

KW has options. Wise should be back later this season. He has BA. Lillibridge might get a shot at CF sooner or later. Alexei could play some CF. Even Owens could get one final chance.

Could also see him possibly going for somebody like Willits or somebody else that has gone under the radar. I was thinking Gwynn Jr. might work as a fourth OF until Wise comes back.

Ironically, the Twins have extra CFer and the Cubs as well.

gr8mexico
04-14-2009, 07:12 AM
I think the Sox should really consider Elijah Dukes now.
It looks like he is keeping his nose clean.
The National just have to many Outfielders

seventyseven
04-14-2009, 10:21 AM
KW has options. Wise should be back later this season. He has BA. Lillibridge might get a shot at CF sooner or later. Alexei could play some CF. Even Owens could get one final chance.

I think what people are saying that these "options" aren't any good. At least we need a new LH option to pair up with BA.

jabrch
04-14-2009, 10:32 AM
I think the Sox should really consider Elijah Dukes now.
It looks like he is keeping his nose clean.
The National just have to many Outfielders

I don't see how Washington would trade him. But if they would, I'd be VERY interested. I normally don't like guys with major off the field issues, but Dukes is such a talented ball player...

The Nats got him for nearly nothing since he was such an off the field problem. They could make a handsome profit on the deal. He'd be able to step in today and likely be better than any of our in house options.

I wonder what he'd cost?

Sargeant79
04-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner. The angels have a ton of OFers, and Willits has some speed.

You know, this really might make some sense for both sides... the Angels are in dire need of starting pitching for the next 6 weeks or so. Someone like Clayton Richard or Jeff Marquez could be a stopgap and slide into middle relief once Lackey, Escobar, and Santana are healthy. Since Willits is somewhere around 6th on the Angels' outfield depth chart, would one of those two pitchers be enough to get it done?

I still think the best move would be to give BA a good 2-3 weeks and see how he does with regular playing time first, but I'd really have to think about it if something like this were proposed.

jabrch
04-14-2009, 12:17 PM
You know, this really might make some sense for both sides... the Angels are in dire need of starting pitching for the next 6 weeks or so. Someone like Clayton Richard or Jeff Marquez could be a stopgap and slide into middle relief once Lackey, Escobar, and Santana are healthy.

I wouldn't give them Clayton for Reggie Willitis.

BleacherBandit
04-14-2009, 07:06 PM
I wouldn't give them Clayton for Reggie Willitis.

Same. I believe that Richard has more upside potential. Willits has been in the league for about two more years, and most who know talent know what he's capable of.

Tragg
04-14-2009, 10:15 PM
You know, this really might make some sense for both sides... the Angels are in dire need of starting pitching for the next 6 weeks or so. Someone like Clayton Richard or Jeff Marquez could be a stopgap and slide into middle relief once Lackey, Escobar, and Santana are healthy. Since Willits is somewhere around 6th on the Angels' outfield depth chart, would one of those two pitchers be enough to get it done?

I still think the best move would be to give BA a good 2-3 weeks and see how he does with regular playing time first, but I'd really have to think about it if something like this were proposed.
And what if one our starting pitchers can't make it through the year?
Suddenly we have a much bigger hole than Brian Anderson.
No way to do we send Richard for Willits.

kba
04-15-2009, 08:50 AM
The Pirates have acquired Delwyn Young, according to the LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-tonight15-2009apr15,0,4609417.story?track=rss).

Sargeant79
04-15-2009, 09:10 AM
And what if one our starting pitchers can't make it through the year?
Suddenly we have a much bigger hole than Brian Anderson.
No way to do we send Richard for Willits.

Fair enough. Maybe not Richard, but what about Marquez? I see both as having a ceiling as back of the rotation starters. That is an important piece to any team with playoff aspirations, but then again, so is a center fielder with speed.

Tragg
04-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Fair enough. Maybe not Richard, but what about Marquez? I see both as having a ceiling as back of the rotation starters. That is an important piece to any team with playoff aspirations, but then again, so is a center fielder with speed.
I guess I would say that we really don't have any pitching to trade. If Marquez can't pitch then sure if the Angels want to give him away. But otherwise, I just don't see it.

jabrch
04-15-2009, 10:05 AM

I can't see it. Not for Willitis...

russ99
04-15-2009, 07:14 PM
The Pirates have acquired Delwyn Young, according to the LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-tonight15-2009apr15,0,4609417.story?track=rss).

Pretty nice pickup for them. He'd probably get some decent playing time in that outfield mix, especially since Pearce didn't make the club this spring.

Also, my dream Sox acquisition to fix CF once and for all got sent to AAA yesterday: Lastings Milledge

So I wonder if the Nats have lost patience on him yet... :D: C'mon Kenny, you can probably get him cheap...