PDA

View Full Version : Selig requests all personnel wear #42 to celebrate Robinson

ChiSoxFan81
04-13-2009, 04:58 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090413&content_id=4246882&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

doublem23
04-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Larry Doby continues to fade away, unnoticed.

getonbckthr
04-13-2009, 05:13 PM
This is getting rediculous.

PKalltheway
04-13-2009, 05:14 PM
No Jackie, no Doby.

TealTank
04-13-2009, 05:46 PM
No Jackie, no Doby.

Doby broke the color barrier in the AL and that came about two weeks after Jackie's debut.

Doby should have gotten more attention. Add to the fact that Doby outlived Robinson by at least 25 years, we had a great resource but never used him.

doublem23
04-13-2009, 05:49 PM
No Jackie, no Doby.

Not discounting Jackie's place in history, but Larry Doby put up with the exact same **** Jackie did and he did it with the same revered grace and humility Robinson is so renowned for, except Larry never achieved the same notoriety or fame for his achievement.

If there was any justice in baseball, Doby and Jackie would share the honor; NL retires #42, AL retires #14.

PKalltheway
04-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Not discounting Jackie's place in history, but Larry Doby put up with the exact same **** Jackie did and he did it with the same revered grace and humility Robinson is so renowned for, except Larry never achieved the same notoriety or fame for his achievement.

If there was any justice in baseball, Doby and Jackie would share the honor; NL retires #42, AL retires #14.
Agreed.

nasox
04-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Agreed.

Thirded. I think it had a bit to do with the fact that Jackie was in New York City and Doby was "only" in Cleveland.

asindc
04-13-2009, 06:26 PM

Just what I was thinking when I read the thread title. Selig should really step up and do more to recognize Doby. I find it difficult to believe no one has brought this to his attention.

Boondock Saint
04-13-2009, 06:44 PM

While I agree with your sentiment, I don't think that MLB honoring Robinson is in any way connected to Doby's snubbing.

I think retiring both numbers for their respective leagues is a great idea.

ComiskeyBrewer
04-13-2009, 07:58 PM

If the leagues were still more seperate entities(different umps, no interleague play ect,), i would expect this to happen. But i doubt it will happen anytime soon.

Frankfan4life
04-13-2009, 09:53 PM
I think this is a fitting tribute to Jackie Robinson. I also agree that Larry Doby should be honored in some significant manner by the American League. However, Jackie Robinson represents all baseball players of color, including Larry Doby, who endured unconscionable fear, hatred, degradation, threats, intimidation and humiliation before and after the desegregation of baseball.

TheOldRoman
04-13-2009, 11:59 PM

If there was any justice in baseball, Doby and Jackie would share the honor; NL retires #42, AL retires #14.I agree. I have been saying for years that Doby has been unfairly snubbed. He put up with every bit as much crap as Robinson. If the whole purpose of honoring Jackson is about his perseverence and so forth, Doby deserves it just as much. It wasn't like the NL was a bunch of racists and the AL players welcomed Doby.

As for the numbers, I think retiring a number leaguewide is ridiculous. Why are the players wearing #42 this week? To HONOR Robinson. There is no greater honor than to wear a number because of a player. The Dodgers should obviously have #42 retired, but other teams should allow their players to wear it to honor him. I don't think any player is worthy of league-wide retirement.

RockyMtnSoxFan
04-15-2009, 06:25 PM
I think that, for the most part, this is a publicity stunt. I think it's great to honor Jackie Robinson, but it seems like Selig is trying to outdo himself by making an even bigger deal out of it than it was before. Similarly, if it was up to the players to wear 42, eventually they would all have to wear it. I mean, who wants to make the statement that they won't honor Jackie Robinson?

I also agree with the sentiment that Doby should be honored in some way.

Lip Man 1
04-15-2009, 07:01 PM
What do you expect out of Proud To Be Your Bud? Rationality? Sanity? Keep looking with that buffoon.

Here's a question for ya' Bud...when do you honor Minnie Minoso, considered by many as the Latin version of Jackie Robinson? (or doesn't he count...)

I can't wait for the day Selig retires.

Lip

Oblong
04-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Count me in on the idea that Larry Doby should get more attention for this. Especially when you consider that there wasn't interleague play. Doby went to places that Jackie Robinson didn't. He wasn't merely the "second guy" to do it. It's like Earth having two moons and Neil Armstrong went to one moon first and Buzz Aldrin went to the other one a few days after Neil.

And doing something every year just reeks of marketing and hype over actual honor and celebration.

Marqhead
04-15-2009, 07:47 PM
What do you expect out of Proud To Be Your Bud? Rationality? Sanity? Keep looking with that buffoon.

Here's a question for ya' Bud...when do you honor Minnie Minoso, considered by many as the Latin version of Jackie Robinson? (or doesn't he count...)

I can't wait for the day Selig retires.

Lip

You never pass up a chance you use the phrase "proud to be your Bud" do you Lip?

I agree that Doby should be honored as well, and I think the NL/AL idea is a good one, but the fact is that very few people know who Doby is, and until that changes Robinson will continue to be honored much more often than Doby. Either way, they both accomplished something great, and Robinson deserves this honor.

CubKilla
04-15-2009, 07:50 PM
The novelty of this idea has worn off. Be done with it completely.

soltrain21
04-15-2009, 08:44 PM
The novelty of this idea has worn off. Be done with it completely.

Just put a patch on the field for one day behind second base or something.

EnglishChiSox
04-15-2009, 08:49 PM
It's a nice idea but I think it's been poorly put into practice, there must be better ways of showing people (Especially kids) how Jackie Robinson and Larry Doby and all those who pioneered the way for the current ethnically diverse sporting culture.

TealTank
04-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Count me in on the idea that Larry Doby should get more attention for this. Especially when you consider that there wasn't interleague play. Doby went to places that Jackie Robinson didn't. He wasn't merely the "second guy" to do it. It's like Earth having two moons and Neil Armstrong went to one moon first and Buzz Aldrin went to the other one a few days after Neil.

And doing something every year just reeks of marketing and hype over actual honor and celebration.

Interesting that there were only three cities, where Doby played that Jackie, didn't.

Detroit, Washington DC, and Cleveland.

The other five cities had a NL team. Boston (Braves and Red Sox), Philly (A's and Phillies), Chicago, NY, and St. Louis (Cardinals and Browns).

EuroSox35
04-15-2009, 11:21 PM
This was dumb

october23sp
04-15-2009, 11:24 PM
This was dumb

+1. Hate the whole idea of it. Yes honor Robinson, but this is a dumb way to honor him. Throwback day? Jersey Patch? So many other options.

Soxfanspcu11
04-16-2009, 12:57 AM
Soooooooooo, how come I saw some players today NOT wearing #42? Does that mean that they hate jackie robinson? :scratch:

doublem23
04-16-2009, 01:17 AM
Interesting that there were only three cities, where Doby played that Jackie, didn't.

Detroit, Washington DC, and Cleveland.

The other five cities had a NL team. Boston (Braves and Red Sox), Philly (A's and Phillies), Chicago, NY, and St. Louis (Cardinals and Browns).

I'm sure the racists in Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, New York, and St. Louis only took their anger out on Jackie Robinson.

drewcifer
04-16-2009, 01:25 AM
I'm sure the racists in Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, New York, and St. Louis only took their anger out on Jackie Robinson.

Or, those towns front offices' are pretty much done with the whole act. We all get it, afterall. It's been honored to friggin death.

There are black people who choose to play baseball...even today. Whatever.

Railsplitter
04-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Thirded. I think it had a bit to do with the fact that Jackie was in New York City and Doby was "only" in Cleveland.
Nailed it.

Though being second often means you're left out. There are no public holidays for John Cabot or John Adams, but there are ones for Christopher Columbus and George Washington.

Dibbs
04-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Just put a patch on the field for one day behind second base or something.

Agreed. This is way out of control with every single player wearing the exact same number. That is not the best way to honor him in my opinion.

ChiSoxFan81
04-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Isn't the point of retiring a number that no player is ever supposed to wear it again? So how does mandating that everyone wear it honor Robinson? I agree that this has already become hokey and cliche, and simply a patch or even just a video tribute to remember would be more appropriate.

KenBerryGrab
04-16-2009, 11:45 AM
I was at the Brewers-Reds game last night, and all the 42s were pretty damn cool.

A girl, about 9, asked her dad near us what it was all about. He told her about Jackie Robinson. THAT's what it was about.

the gooch
04-16-2009, 03:18 PM
I think the overkill tributes to Robinson are about Selig's fear that there are dwindling numbers of American-Born Black players in MLB compared to years past, and he wants to get those kids involved in baseball again. No problem with the Latino community, so Clemente remains just a humanitarian award at the end of the year.

I think every MLB Stadium should retire Robinson's jersey. Of course, he played for the Dodgers. I want a Dodgers #42 hanging in every stadium, and players are allowed to wear #42 of their own team's jersey.

Kids will ask their parents why that jersey hanging up in the stadium is different from the others, and that will spark the conversation about Jackie Robinson.

Jackie Robinson never wore a Sox jersey. He changed the entire game of baseball, but he did it by wearing only one jersey - a Dodgers jersey. Hang THAT one up.

grenda12
04-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Anyone know if the Sox are gonna sell their jerseys from the Jackie Robinson game or who to contact?

spawn
04-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Doby broke the color barrier in the AL and that came about two weeks after Jackie's debut.

It was eleven weeks, not two. And I agree that Doby should be honored as well. To be honest, I just think it sucks that we're having this conversation at all. It sucks that for 60 years blacks weren't allowed to play, and that so many great black ballplayers weren't allowed to showcase their talents.

TealTank
04-16-2009, 04:54 PM
It was eleven weeks, not two. And I agree that Doby should be honored as well. To be honest, I just think it sucks that we're having this conversation at all. It sucks that for 60 years blacks weren't allowed to play, and that so many great black ballplayers weren't allowed to showcase their talents.

Oh sorry, such a big mistake. :scratch:

spawn
04-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Oh sorry, such a big mistake. :scratch:
Well, eleven weeks is a week short of 3 months, so that is a pretty big diffence in a baseball season that goes for 7 months. Almost half of the season is gone. That's enough time for Doby to see what Robinson endured and to gain strength from it. I'm not saying Larry wouldn't have endured if Robinson didn't go first, but that is a pretty big time difference as far as a baseball season goes. I'm sorry to have offended you by pointing out your mistake. :shrug:

doublem23
04-16-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm sorry to have offended you by pointing out your mistake. :shrug:

This is an internet message board, not some sort of fact-checking place.

spawn
04-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Yeah, I know. What the hell was I thinking?!?! :redneck

asindc
04-16-2009, 05:25 PM

What are these "facts" that you speak of? Do we really have any use for them?

TealTank
04-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Well, eleven weeks is a week short of 3 months, so that is a pretty big diffence in a baseball season that goes for 7 months. Almost half of the season is gone. That's enough time for Doby to see what Robinson endured and to gain strength from it. I'm not saying Larry wouldn't have endured if Robinson didn't go first, but that is a pretty big time difference as far as a baseball season goes. I'm sorry to have offended you by pointing out your mistake. :shrug:

Since you're WSI's resident genius, I will check with you before I post.

spawn
04-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Since you're WSI's resident genius, I will check with you before I post.
http://www.ilfilosofo.com/wp-content/uploads/charlie_brown.jpg

KenBerryGrab
04-17-2009, 10:08 AM
What are these "facts" that you speak of? Do we really have any use for them?

"Facts are simple and facts are straight...."

Lip Man 1
04-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Something Sox fans don't know is that the Sox had Robinson work out for them a few years before he signed with the Dodgers.

Rich Lindberg documented it in one of his books actually finding quotes from then manager Jimmy Dykes about how well he played against the Sox in an intersquad game....unfortunately they didn't sign him although Dykes was quoted as saying he'd have no issues with it if the Sox did.

Another one of those great 'what if?' situations:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=3435

Lip