PDA

View Full Version : *** OFFICIAL *** Sox clobber Tigers Post-Game Thread

doublem23
04-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Gavin looked terrible, but a W is a W.

:bandance:

aryzner
04-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Not the prettiest of games but I'll take the W.

guillensdisciple
04-13-2009, 03:29 PM

He got the W, so at least that will help in his Cy young campaign.

Sockinchisox
I think it's safe to assume TCQ's wrist is just fine.

Nice to see Paulie be Paulie.

HawkDJ
It's karma. Gavin's 1-1 record accurately depicts how he's pitched so far this season.

VeeckAsInWreck
He needs to buy the offense a gift. They bailed him out. Now they need to give Danks the same kind of support tomorrow.

Shoeless
Nice to see TCQ be The Carlos Quentin.

SoxGirl4Life
First place, I think too..

sox1970
Floyd is 1-1, and he should be 1-1.

Nice lumber display today.

october23sp
04-13-2009, 03:30 PM
it's karma. Gavin's 1-1 record accurately depicts how he's pitched so far this season.

+1

palehozenychicty
Winning Ugly. Real Ugly. :D:

LoveYourSuit

Yeah, but more times than not he will be on the short end (like last week). He diserved a "garbage" win today.

The sticks have woken up a bit.

So for the excuse makers who say, "it's too cold, they can't hit in the cold, wait til it warms up," ...... It was 38 degrees in Detroit today.

:)

october23sp
04-13-2009, 03:31 PM
I'd rather win ugly scoring runs than win ugly without scoring runs. Our pitching won't go into slumps.

GoGoCrede
04-13-2009, 03:31 PM
I hope Wise will be okay. Gavin did look terrible, but the offense backed him up. Hopefully they can do the same for Danks.

october23sp
04-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Oh btw, TCQ for MVP.

thomas35forever
A nice win in the Motor City. My only advice: stop trying to give us heart attacks at the end.

jabrch
He needs to buy the offense a gift.

He can regift whatever piece of crap they gave him last time out.

That's why I hate bitching about a 2-0 type of game. What goes around, comes around. There are 162 games. You will win some you could have lost and lose some you could have won. It just works out that way, every single year.

LoveYourSuit
04-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Oh btw, TCQ for MVP.

So much for a sophmore collapse?

Konerko05
04-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Offense is looking really strong, but I bet they can only muster up one run for Danks tomorrow.

Thome_Fan
04-13-2009, 03:36 PM
First place, I think too..

Correct. Back where we should be. That 1st place easy chair still has the indentation from where we sat last year :tongue:

doublem23
04-13-2009, 03:36 PM
P.S., we are currently in 1st place.

AL Central Standings, as of April 13th around 3:30 PM Central time:

AL CENTRAL W L PCT GB
White Sox 4 3 .571 -
Detroit 4 4 .500 .5
Kansas City 3 3 .500 .5
Minnesota 3 4 .429 1
Cleveland 1 5 .167 2.5

EuroSox35
04-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Floyd got screwed by the offense his last time out, I guess things are likely to even out over a season. I feel much better about this offense when TCQ is hitting/getting on base. The leadoff spot thing kind of worries me still, I like the young infusion in terms of speed but I wonder if they can get on base consistently. If you can, then this team looks to be in pretty good shape

Craig Grebeck
04-13-2009, 03:37 PM
You will win some you could have lost and lose some you could have won. It just works out that way, every single year.
Could you possibly be any more authoritative and wrong at the same time? It doesn't work like that year in and year out.

asindc
04-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Could you possibly be any more authoritative and wrong at the same time? It doesn't work like that year in and year out.

It always works out that way over the course of a 162-game season. Each team drops a few they should win and gets a few they proabably should not have. Always happens.

kidmccarthy
04-13-2009, 03:42 PM
I liked that we had a couple guys struggle, but other players picked them up with nice hitting and good defense. Here is my bold prediction if wise is out for 6 weeks:

Gordon Beckham will be starting shortstop and Alexei Ramirez will be in center field.

thedudeabides
04-13-2009, 03:43 PM

If he's so wrong, please explain?

voodoochile
04-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Offense is looking really strong, but I bet they can only muster up one run for Danks tomorrow.

Well, I won't comment on your prediction, but it is nice to have Thome, Dye and PK all with 2 HR after a week and TCQ with 4. Once AJ and Ramirez come around (they left 11 men on base today between the two of them - this could have been a serious blowout if either of them perform as expected) this team is going to score runs in bunches. Nice to see the patience continuing. Fields taking walks is a bonus.

I'm loving this team big time already and it's only the second week of the season. If the starting pitching continues to excel, the sky's the limit...

Edit:

:supernana:

ChiSoxFan81
04-13-2009, 03:44 PM

Someone using his cereal bowl as a urinal this morning is excuse enough.

october23sp
04-13-2009, 03:44 PM
So much for a sophmore collapse?

So much for that.

LITTLE NELL
04-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Good way to start the road trip. As far as the cold weather goes it was good pitching that shut down the Sox last week not the cold weather as we proved the last 4 games with 5,8,6 and 10 runs in just as frigid temps.

SoxGirl4Life
04-13-2009, 03:47 PM
I liked that we had a couple guys struggle, but other players picked them up with nice hitting and good defense. Here is my bold prediction if wise is out for 6 weeks:

Gordon Beckham will be starting shortstop and Alexei Ramirez will be in center field.

Nope. Owens recalled

october23sp
04-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Nope. Owens recalled
:gah:

thedudeabides
04-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Someone using his cereal bowl as a urinal this morning is excuse enough.

Huh?

palehozenychicty
04-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Good way to start the road trip. As far as the cold weather goes it was good pitching that shut down the Sox last week not the cold weather as we proved the last 4 games with 5,8,6 and 10 runs in just as frigid temps.

Thank you. Meche and Greinke are one of the better duos in the game right now. No shame in losing to them.

Foulke You
04-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Nope. Owens recalled
Arrrrgh!! Here is hoping Ozzie resists the urge to put him in the lineup every day. I was hoping Josh Kroeger would get the call. Get well soon Dwayne.:(:

Foulke You
04-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Well, I won't comment on your prediction, but it is nice to have Thome, Dye and PK all with 2 HR after a week and TCQ with 4. Once AJ and Ramirez come around (they left 11 men on base today between the two of them - this could have been a serious blowout if either of them perform as expected) this team is going to score runs in bunches. Nice to see the patience continuing. Fields taking walks is a bonus.

I'm loving this team big time already and it's only the second week of the season. If the starting pitching continues to excel, the sky's the limit...

Edit:

:supernana:

I'm also liking the upside on this team as well. The front end of the bullpen looks strong. I'd like to see the back end pick it up more though. If Richard and Carrasco can get locked in, this bullpen can be very, very good.

Jim Shorts
04-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Here is my bold prediction if wise is out for 6 weeks:

Oh for ****'s sake....

Someone has been taking Cowley as gospel again.

UChicagoHP
04-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Oh for ****'s sake....

Someone has been taking Cowley as gospel again.

I'll get to this in a second...first I want to vent, in a good way!

As for the game, AWESOME to see our MVP candidate is back and as bad as ever. Carlos Quentin, this one is for you! :gulp:

I thought it was a given the broken wrist would have zapped some of his prodigious power, but I think I was wrong! We have one of the best/most feared/intimidating hitters in the game batting 3rd folks, we have a stacked bullpen, our starting pitching is, at worse, solid, and the rest of the line-up is going to put up enough runs to win more often than not.

LIFE IS GOOD SOX FANS! This team is built to contend for the next decade, and I think they will.

CARLOS FOR MVP!

Yeah, I know it's early, but this(Carlos proving last year was no fluke/that he is healthy) was so important to the Sox future success as a team, it's quite an euphoric relief.

On to the Alexei to CF plan:

It 'aint happening this season, but it is most certainly a possibility down the road. I don't think Alexei is THAT good of infielder to completely disregard this suggestion, especially given the fact the Sox had the same idea last season, although they went about the position change in a way that set Alexei up for failire. Given a full off-season to prepare, I have no doubt Alexei Ramirez would be a fine CF come spring training. But yeah, I know what you're saying, it 'aint happening this year, so no point discussing the option till we have nothing better to talk about in November. Anyway a few things need to happen for this to even be considered, such as Getz proving he can big league pitching at a better than average level.

Whatever the case folks, lets not bitch at each other for expressing an opinion that isn't completely crazy. We all love baseball here, and you never know when you may drive some folks away with negativity.:gulp:is for you...

infohawk
04-13-2009, 04:29 PM
P.S., we are currently in 1st place.

AL Central Standings, as of April 13th around 3:30 PM Central time:

AL CENTRAL W L PCT GB
White Sox 4 3 .571 -
Detroit 4 4 .500 .5
Kansas City 3 3 .500 .5
Minnesota 3 4 .429 1
Cleveland 1 5 .167 2.5

When are the Sox going to announce that playoff tickets will be on sale?:D:

ramblinsoxfan11
04-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Aside from Gavin's pitching and Wise's unfortunate injury, I thought the Sox played great!! PK and Dye both reached milestones for homeruns, TCQ smacked in 2 homers, the team as a whole had 16 hits, Josh Fields made some good plays at 3rd and Anderson can steal bases :D:

:gulp: well done guys, keep the bats warm for tomorrow

Foulke You
04-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Aside from Gavin's pitching and Wise's unfortunate injury, I thought the Sox played great!! PK and Dye both reached milestones for homeruns, TCQ smacked in 2 homers, the team as a whole had 16 hits, Josh Fields made some good plays at 3rd and Anderson can steal bases :D:

:gulp: well done guys, keep the bats warm for tomorrow
Fields made a heck of a play robbing Guillen of at least a double and 2 RBI. Good call about the BA stolen bases. He also had his 2 best ABs of the year. He watched all the pitches nicely and didn't help the pitchers out for a change. Here is hoping he has more games like today this year. It's when he starts to swing wildly at breaking balls out of the zone is when he gets in trouble.

Frankfan4life
04-13-2009, 05:06 PM
:gah:

Arrrrgh!! Here is hoping Ozzie resists the urge to put him in the lineup every day. I was hoping Josh Kroeger would get the call. Get well soon Dwayne.:(:Please give Owens a chance. Apparently, the Sox see something in him that warrants giving him this opportunity. Since he's going to play for the Sox and there's nothing any of us can do about it, we might as well wish him the best.

JB98
04-13-2009, 05:07 PM
Anybody who has ever watched baseball with me knows walks are my pet peeve. So, this wasn't the most comfortable game for me to watch, but you need some ugly wins like this over the course of the season.

Great to see the middle of the order producing and punishing the mediocre pitching the Tigers were running out there.

chisox77
04-13-2009, 05:09 PM

I understand that feeling, but think positively!

soxpride724
04-13-2009, 05:13 PM
What a great way to start a road trip. The Sox seem to have detroit's number at home, I hope this trend continues from last season.

Pear-Zin-Ski
04-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Nice to see the boys bat the ball around today...cold weather or not....

Someone tell Gavin that walks kill!

BRDSR
04-13-2009, 05:52 PM
I'd rather win ugly scoring runs than win ugly without scoring runs. Our pitching won't go into slumps.

I know what you're saying, but it occurred to me the other day that it's really impossible to win ugly without scoring runs. Think about a 2-1 win and a 6-2 loss in which the offense performed precisely the same (let's say two solo home runs and three innings where there were runners in scoring position with less than two outs and nobody scored). In the first game the home run hitters stepped up with some clutch hits. In the second game there was no situational hitting and we couldn't get bunts down and nobody can hit in the clutch (as one infamous poster might say, the solo home runs don't even count).

Just a thought.

BleacherBandit
04-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Konerko had an AWESOME day. It's good to see him totally tear it up going 4 for 5.

I feel strange saying at this point in time I'm most concerned with the hitting of Alexei and AJ, and even they didn't o'fer it today. Good things are to come if we keep up this pace.

Britt Burns
04-13-2009, 06:22 PM
The pen bends but doesn't break. Gavin wins on a day he doesn't have his best stuff. Great win!!

Soxman219
04-13-2009, 06:27 PM
The ownage of the Tigers continues.

-my friend

It nice that Dye and PK are the first duo in MLB history to have back to back 300 HR shots. Quentin is gunning for that MVP that was stolen from him.

Keep it up! :bandance:

Jurr
04-13-2009, 07:40 PM
This is where a deep rotation can really come in handy. With Danks, Contreras, and Colon coming up, we could see a very nice win streak. If you remember that one REALLY good season the Sox had, it was about now that they put a big streak together and established themselves as contenders. Our rotation can allow that to happen, because every guy is capable of a quality start. This offense is beginning to get comfortable, and the scary part is that they have played in nothing but crappy weather. I'm jazzed.

Frater Perdurabo
04-13-2009, 07:43 PM
This is where a deep rotation can really come in handy. With Danks, Contreras, and Colon coming up, we could see a very nice win streak. If you remember that one REALLY good season the Sox had, it was about now that they put a big streak together and established themselves as contenders. Our rotation can allow that to happen, because every guy is capable of a quality start. This offense is beginning to get comfortable, and the scary part is that they have played in nothing but crappy weather. I'm jazzed.

The flip side of it is that each one of the 2005 starting pitchers was capable of stopping a losing streak. That kept losses from piling up. Hopefully that pattern repeats itself: lots of extended winning streaks a fewer, shorter losing slumps.

mccoydp
04-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Man, I didn't get to see this one today (at work & all MLB.TV is blocked), but Gameday sure was exciting!

Congrats to Paulie and Jermaine on #300! Keep on rolling, fellas!

SoxGirl4Life
04-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Damn I just saw highlights, Gavin was throwing stuff over people's heads!

Madscout
04-13-2009, 10:22 PM
The ownage of the Tigers continues.

-my friend

It nice that Dye and PK are the first duo in MLB history to have back to back 300 HR shots. Quentin is gunning for that MVP that was stolen from him.

Keep it up! :bandance:
I am tired of those video game commercials with the MVP that should be on Carlos's Mantle.

TheOldRoman
04-13-2009, 11:05 PM
I am tired of those video game commercials with the MVP that should be on Carlos's Mantle.Everytime Pedrioa talks about polishing his MVP trophy, I laugh and think his name is written on a piece of masking tape over Carlos' name.

Craig Grebeck
04-13-2009, 11:07 PM
I interpreted Jabrch's statement as an assertion that pitchers will often get tons of run support and win games they shouldn't, while in other games get little to no run support and lose games they should win. Fair enough. But he stated that it always evens out -- which isn't true.

Evman5
04-13-2009, 11:37 PM
Just got back from my Chicago Sports in Motown double header. Went to Comerica for the game and then headed over to Auburn Hills to watch the Bulls win a big one against the pistons.

Random thoughts from the game:

Weather was really cold...game temp was 38 degrees, but with wind chill had to be much lower then that. Clearly both pitchers were having trouble gripping the ball in the cold temperatures. Both managers were reluctant to burn the bullpen in the first game of the series, which is why Gavin and Miner were left in so long.

I was one of the first 10,000 fans and received a Cabrera bobble head doll (wonder how much it will fetch on ebay!). I also made it in time for bp. Josh Fields hit some absolute bombs! I also was the only one in the bp crowd wearing Whitesox gear. I got Clayton Richard's attention and he threw me the next and only ball that came his way. Told him we could use him at quarterback for Michigan this year, got a smile out of him.

White Sox definitely flashed some leather today, there were a number of nice plays. Alexei had a nice grab, Fields continues to look good and Wise's catch was fantastic.

The power surge was fun to watch, and man do Detroit fans hate Quentin. All I heard on the Detroit talk radio was how fans were angry that nobody tried to bean Quentin. I am like the dude has been hit plenty, that is not going to make him back off the plate anytime soon.

I love the domination of Detroit that we have had the past few seasons. It is nice to be in a team's head and have them coming to the ballpark expecting to lose. Hopefully, we can keep it up and get the sweep.

Also saw a great Bulls Pistons game at the Palace. There were a few other people that I saw at the game in their White Sox gear. All in all a great day for Chicago Sports. We definitely showed why we deserve our own ESPN website!

Sox
04-14-2009, 12:55 AM
Just got back from my Chicago Sports in Motown double header. Went to Comerica for the game and then headed over to Auburn Hills to watch the Bulls win a big one against the pistons.

Random thoughts from the game:

Weather was really cold...game temp was 38 degrees, but with wind chill had to be much lower then that. Clearly both pitchers were having trouble gripping the ball in the cold temperatures. Both managers were reluctant to burn the bullpen in the first game of the series, which is why Gavin and Miner were left in so long.

I was one of the first 10,000 fans and received a Cabrera bobble head doll (wonder how much it will fetch on ebay!). I also made it in time for bp. Josh Fields hit some absolute bombs! I also was the only one in the bp crowd wearing Whitesox gear. I got Clayton Richard's attention and he threw me the next and only ball that came his way. Told him we could use him at quarterback for Michigan this year, got a smile out of him.

White Sox definitely flashed some leather today, there were a number of nice plays. Alexei had a nice grab, Fields continues to look good and Wise's catch was fantastic.

The power surge was fun to watch, and man do Detroit fans hate Quentin. All I heard on the Detroit talk radio was how fans were angry that nobody tried to bean Quentin. I am like the dude has been hit plenty, that is not going to make him back off the plate anytime soon.

I love the domination of Detroit that we have had the past few seasons. It is nice to be in a team's head and have them coming to the ballpark expecting to lose. Hopefully, we can keep it up and get the sweep.

Also saw a great Bulls Pistons game at the Palace. There were a few other people that I saw at the game in their White Sox gear. All in all a great day for Chicago Sports. We definitely showed why we deserve our own ESPN website!

Sounds like you had a great time despite the weather conditions and the wins by the Bulls and the Sox didn't hurt any either.:bandance:

MISoxfan
04-14-2009, 02:37 AM
I interpreted Jabrch's statement as an assertion that pitchers will often get tons of run support and win games they shouldn't, while in other games get little to no run support and lose games they should win. Fair enough. But he stated that it always evens out -- which isn't true.

I don't see anything in his post about it coming up completely even.

whitesox901
04-14-2009, 03:31 AM
ugly win, but I'll take it

delben91
04-14-2009, 05:54 AM

You're always right, everyone else is always wrong. Twas always thus.

Craig Grebeck
04-14-2009, 07:33 AM
I don't see anything in his post about it coming up completely even.

What goes around, comes around. There are 162 games. You will win some you could have lost and lose some you could have won. It just works out that way, every single year.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Sargeant79
04-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Please give Owens a chance. Apparently, the Sox see something in him that warrants giving him this opportunity.

No, they don't. They see that they have absolutely no other options in house at the moment and they need to quickly fill the roster spot with someone who is capable of playing CF, albeit poorly. If the Sox actually saw anything in Owens, he would have broke camp with the team.

ChiSoxFan81
04-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Huh?

I was trying to explain that his combative tone was caused by someone peeing in his cereal this morning, thus leaving him grumpy the rest of the day. Figure of speech.

thedudeabides
04-14-2009, 09:27 AM
I was trying to explain that his combative tone was caused by someone peeing in his cereal this morning, thus leaving him grumpy the rest of the day. Figure of speech.

Gotcha. I'm a little slow in the morning.